Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Are any of the war hammer games any good?

I've played all the civilization games and thought they were entertaining. I do miss the old warcraft 3 and starcraft.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also, flight simulators are pretty much dead except for DCS.
View Quote

Obviously they aren't as popular as they once were, but we also have FS2020, X-Plane 11, War Thunder, the IL-2 series, Rise of Flight, Aerofly, Take On Helicopters and more.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There was a computer game called "Motor City Online" that was one of my all time favorites. Sort of an early-version of an open world car racing/building game with a functioning economy and a lot of cool stuff.

I don't think anything like that exists now.
View Quote

I loved that game! I bought a steering wheel and pedal setup for the game and had a blast. They killed the game off to support some other MMO which died in about a year. MCO had a pretty stable player base of around 20k, but that didn't bring in "obscene profits" and that was the end of it.

I think the biggest problem a lot of modern games is that they spend too much time trying to wow you with graphics, but fail at story building and character development. When graphics were not as developed, I think they had to work harder on the characters to draw you in. I think of games like Neverwinter Nights: Mask of the Betrayer, or Planescape: Torment. (Although I love Baldur's Gate, NWN, and other similar games.)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nothing will ever top Company of Heroes and Empire at War ever again.

Foxhole is pretty good but Im not sure its considered an RTS.
View Quote

Rise of Nations... Empire Earth.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm apparently one of the few people on earth that enjoy solo mission over online interactive sandbox games.

I can play for 15 min or an hour without having to deal with actual people.
View Quote

We can be friends.

I loved games like red dead redemption, far cry, gta, mercenaries, and horizon zero dawn.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to love RTS but as they advanced they've become too dependent on APM (Actions Per Minute).

I got pretty good at Starcraft 2 and enjoyed it but as I got better it became less of a game and more of a chore.
View Quote

SC2 was one of the best campaigns I've ever played. Probably re did it 3 or 4 times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LOL.  

Can't believe he ejected all of that without mentioning the erection of microtransactions that have to be implemented into every AAA title these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of surprised no one posted this recent video from Razorfist. It's called The Death of The Game Genre - A Rant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZbXWb4TmE

LOL.  

Can't believe he ejected all of that without mentioning the erection of microtransactions that have to be implemented into every AAA title these days.

I think he wanted to keep it focused. He has ripped on microtransactions in other rants.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Having the ability to play with friends before the age of online or LAN gaming was definitely a perk
View Quote

I miss it and don't miss it at the same time.  We wasted a ton of time hauling crap, hooking crap up, getting the game installed for everyone, troubleshooting, playing and then tearing stuff down.   It was so much easier for somebody to host a TF2 or whatever server and have everyone connect remotely.   We still talked trash using in game chat, teamspeak or whatever else was available.  My wife still occasionally busts my balls about "Geek Parties".  She doesn't get it.  She plays some stupid games on her phone and that's about it.    I also remember having a Quake server running at work with bots as fillers.  People would hop on and off when they had some time to kill.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Automation

The game that is

You can design your engines and cars from scratch.

Its a car fanatics dream

You can even import your creations to beamg and drive them around.

It even gets continuous updates every few months too

One of my fav games ever

https://www.google.com/search?q=automation+game&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=vsin&sxsrf=ALeKk01ZbzdN4IuqmQ_EQ_MRfvoybrNvAA:1611422484099&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisgP3FyLLuAhVQlVkKHYCOBMAQ_AUIFCgA&biw=412&bih=775&dpr=2.63

@basselope22
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was a computer game called "Motor City Online" that was one of my all time favorites. Sort of an early-version of an open world car racing/building game with a functioning economy and a lot of cool stuff.

I don't think anything like that exists now.

Automation

The game that is

You can design your engines and cars from scratch.

Its a car fanatics dream

You can even import your creations to beamg and drive them around.

It even gets continuous updates every few months too

One of my fav games ever

https://www.google.com/search?q=automation+game&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=vsin&sxsrf=ALeKk01ZbzdN4IuqmQ_EQ_MRfvoybrNvAA:1611422484099&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisgP3FyLLuAhVQlVkKHYCOBMAQ_AUIFCgA&biw=412&bih=775&dpr=2.63

@basselope22

That looks cool! Maybe I'll build a gaming PC some time. Been on consoles only for a while now for time/simplicity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm apparently one of the few people on earth that enjoy solo mission over online interactive sandbox games.

View Quote
I haven't played an online game in years at this point. I put enough hours into battlefield 3 and Call of duty to last the rest of my life. I really don't have any desire to play another shooter ever again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't played an online game in years at this point. I put enough hours into battlefield 3 and Call of duty to last the rest of my life. I really don't have any desire to play another shooter ever again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same. Been gaming on PC off and on since the 90's.
Was at a desk with keyboard/mouse playing online games.

In the last 8 years I moved to playing only single player games with a controller on my couch and building small form factor systems that fit in an entertainment cabinet.

I can turn the game off at any moment and handle real life shit and at times go weeks without playing again.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nothing will ever top Company of Heroes and Empire at War ever again.

Foxhole is pretty good but Im not sure its considered an RTS.
View Quote

CoH is still plenty playable.  It was so scalable it still looks fresh on a modern PC with all that shit cranked up that you couldn't back in the day.

I mostly use the racing rig in the basement these days, but still fire up the RTS oldies at my desk from time to time.  They really haven't replaced them, have they.  There's been nothing created top AOE, let alone CoH or Homeworld, etc.  Now kids spend hundreds of dollars paying into 'free' games to 'upgrade'.  Even that fucking ancient Roblox is still on top with kids, and it's absolute dogshit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I want a video game where I play a patrol cop, I want to pull folks over and smash windows, shoot tires/dogs and generally harass hoods. I want to make the decision to either let the fucker OD or give him the good stuff. Make the game with a bribe system, the gang who pays me the most gets me help. I want to bang hookers in the trunk of my cruiser, with the option of leaving her if needed be. 18 wheeling mother truckers will be dealt with, I'm the trucker fucker with the badge in this game. Stopped with a gun on your person? I'm calling in all my boys to chokehold your punk ass. Video takers will be dealt with accordingly.
Motherfuckers I want a true to life cop game. With graphics like LA Noir but not so story based cause in this game, all doors are kickable.
Real life shit

In the meantime I'll just play fucking tetris
View Quote

L fucking O fucking L
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I see you havent jumped into cyberpunk yet though to be honest the base material was also a bit on a the "woke" side of things for its time as far as TTRPGs go
View Quote

Nope I was looking forward to it but while waiting I got married bought a house 2 dogs and have a baby now. I don’t game much anymore no time and what time I do have I’d rather spend learning various manual processes to make shit like... guns and I don’t really miss it given most of the time last few years was Grindy shit to waste time and bullshit with the boys on voice chat (destiny 2) not that enjoyable or very forgetful games, or replaying old stuff. Replaying knights of the old republic on a tablet is more enjoyable than most new games and it’s ancient and I don’t know how many times I’ve beat it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do you get to the cloud district often?
View Quote

Is it bad I instantly pictured that stuck up asshole npc after reading that?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

You aren’t it’s just online is generally a bigger return on investment for them hence why many triple a studios mandate some multiplayer element to every game.

Single player generally buy once and all content is on them generally low replay factor.

Online multi. People play with others create communities continue to play to maintain social ties with other players long past the point when they otherwise would have quit. Then work in micro transactions. The longer they are in your game the more likely they will buy something. So you have initial buy in plus steady continuous stream of income afterwards with less cost than a new game to just update it occasionally, then you can sell the updates too which people will buy because otherwise they can’t join their friends in the new content. They literally hire psychologists and the like to figure out ways to get more $$$ from the player rather than just make good stuff now a days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Triple A survival horror.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there a modern day equivalent to 688 Attack Sub?  Played that and then had a few years of Silent Hunter and Air Warrior before the kids came along.  Starting to get back into things now with War Thunder but have only tried the aviation side so far.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does Alien Isolation count? Because that was one of the few games in the past several year that wasn't an indie and was still very innovative.

And while not a AAA or a survival horror per se, Subnautica can get you some pretty eerie moments you might like.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#21]
are there any new versions of Skyrim type games?  That was the last game I really enjoyed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Are there any space fighter combat games that are as good as or better than Freespace and Freespace 2?  They're over 20 years old, and I haven't found one yet, although there are some I haven't tried.

Elite Dangerous is kinda neat, and I do like some things about it, but it's got some flaws.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I want a video game where I play a patrol cop, I want to pull folks over and smash windows, shoot tires/dogs and generally harass hoods. I want to make the decision to either let the fucker OD or give him the good stuff. Make the game with a bribe system, the gang who pays me the most gets me help. I want to bang hookers in the trunk of my cruiser, with the option of leaving her if needed be. 18 wheeling mother truckers will be dealt with, I'm the trucker fucker with the badge in this game. Stopped with a gun on your person? I'm calling in all my boys to chokehold your punk ass. Video takers will be dealt with accordingly.
Motherfuckers I want a true to life cop game. With graphics like LA Noir but not so story based cause in this game, all doors are kickable.
Real life shit

In the meantime I'll just play fucking tetris
View Quote

ArmA's Altis Life mod.

I argued constitutional law for a good 15 minutes with the first guy that pulled me over when he found I had a handgun on me and no permit. He was soooo fucking confused that he had to call for backup, and then when a sergeant arrived, I argued technicalities about the search per the server's rules of police conduct that he had to let me go and give my gun back. It was fucking glorious.

Then my friends and I would join the rebel side, earn enough cash for a helicopter and go rob the central bank on the server Heat style with .30cal machine guns laying waste to the responding cop cars.  

But other times as the cops, I had stuff happen like being required to respond to a "motorist in distress" and it turned out to be the rebels camping in the hills who took my radio, my gun, wasted my car, and held me hostage for two hours while I read a book (server rules said no logging off to escape) waiting for them to either exchange me or kill me. Other times it was dumbass civilians who did pop a tire and you had to really help them fix it, or you'd pull people over for speeding in town, driving over the lines, etc.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
First two that come to mind are RTS and true stealth games

With RTS they are just hard to make, game balance and good ai are the big factors, They are also difficult to play For most people Requiring a fair amount of intelligence quick thinking and a strong attention span.

The other is true stealth games And I am not talking about assassin's creed or even metal gear solid.

I mean like "oh shit he saw me I'm dead"

Like the old Theif games where a guard can kill you in like 3 hits and you have almost no chance With your puny rapier Against a guy in full plate armour with shield and warhammer

One thing that can kind of get me close to that experience I have been doing recently it's been playing skyrim on legendary difficulty with only a dagger and no armor, doing it that way most huminiods can kill you in 3 hits or so.

Any others you can think of? Thats all I can think of.
View Quote
I have been giving serious thought to getting Thief Gold off of Steam lately.

I literally fell backwards out of my chair playing it when being attacked by a guard.

I played an online version called Thiverey on Black cat forums for a while and surprisingly its still going.

Its extremely dated looking but probably still as much fun. Some of the fam made maps were a trip.

Gameplay video with a giant pedo bear worked in for some reason.

Thievery UT - Th-Gerome [2011-07-27]

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

^this

Stealth games are not dead, they are just incorporated into other games such as open world games

Ghost Recon Wildlands
Gohst Recon Brokepoint
Kingdom Come
Far Cry series

comes to mind.  Ghost Recon does not have good stealth with the AI team mates.  They seem to be invisible unless they fire their weapons.  What YOU do matters quite a bit.

Kingdom Come had been great for stealth.  I used stealth for the majority of the game and poisoned the fuck out of bandits.  Way better than those assassins greed games.

The Dishonored series is fantastic.  If you like Thief, then you should try this series.  You can actually forego the powers if you want (from 2 on i think) as an ingame option.  I love shadowstepping though.   I got the first one years back in a Games For Gold and was instantly hooked, bought the rest with glee.

....also any of the Frictional Horror games like Amnesia require stealth or you get chewed on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Space combat games, specifically story driven ones, like Wing Commander.  

I miss those.  And yes, I play Elite: Dangerous, but it's not the same... too much time investment required.

^this

Stealth games are not dead, they are just incorporated into other games such as open world games

Ghost Recon Wildlands
Gohst Recon Brokepoint
Kingdom Come
Far Cry series

comes to mind.  Ghost Recon does not have good stealth with the AI team mates.  They seem to be invisible unless they fire their weapons.  What YOU do matters quite a bit.

Kingdom Come had been great for stealth.  I used stealth for the majority of the game and poisoned the fuck out of bandits.  Way better than those assassins greed games.

The Dishonored series is fantastic.  If you like Thief, then you should try this series.  You can actually forego the powers if you want (from 2 on i think) as an ingame option.  I love shadowstepping though.   I got the first one years back in a Games For Gold and was instantly hooked, bought the rest with glee.

....also any of the Frictional Horror games like Amnesia require stealth or you get chewed on.

I completely suck at Kingdom Come's sword/shield combat using a mouse and keyboard, I get a combo maybe one in thirty times I attempt it.
So I resort to being a douche with poisoned and bane arrows.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Does Alien Isolation count? Because that was one of the few games in the past several year that wasn't an indie and was still very innovative.

And while not a AAA or a survival horror per se, Subnautica can get you some pretty eerie moments you might like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love Subnautica. Just do NOT hide your first base in a fucking crevasse in the kelp fields. You will NEVER find it again unless you have beacons.

Build that sucker within sight of the pod.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
A good Everquest tier mmorpg, and P99 doesn't count, what a shitshow.

Companies like Konami deciding they don't want to make blockbuster titles like Metal Gear sucks too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Single player space flight sims.

X Wing

Tie Fighter

(Squadrons is NOT the same. Too much focus on the multiplayer aspect.)

Descent Freespace and Freespace 2.

On the subject of stealth games, I also miss the original Splinter Cell. Still remember hiding in the shadows, analyzing patrol patterns for guards, with nothing but a suppressed pistol.
View Quote
Sims in general.  I loved a good WWII submarine sim like Silent Hunter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Are turn based strategy games dead and gone?
I used to love playing Disciples II back in the day on pc.
View Quote
They're niche now.  Paradox puts out a lot of them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X Wing

Tie Fighter

On the subject of stealth games, I also miss the original Splinter Cell. Still remember hiding in the shadows, analyzing patrol patterns for guards, with nothing but a suppressed pistol.

Mods are the only thing that somewhat saved V.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Devs pretty much admitted they released it half finished due to financial reasons.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A good Everquest tier mmorpg, and P99 doesn't count, what a shitshow.

Companies like Konami deciding they don't want to make blockbuster titles like Metal Gear sucks too.
View Quote

At least Konami paid dearly deciding to get out of the game.

I still can't believe they decided to do that

It was financially suicidal

Getting rid of Fox studios was the equivalent to cutting off both of their legs
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The MMO genre is all but dead.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Devs pretty much admitted they released it half finished due to financial reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ubisoft never really wanted to make it IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I just want a good WW2 Combat Flight Simulator. I'd buy a new computer and peripherals for that. USAAF, RAF, Luftwaffe, whatever.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just want a good WW2 Combat Flight Simulator. I'd buy a new computer and peripherals for that. USAAF, RAF, Luftwaffe, whatever.
View Quote

I'd love a new Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator with the graphics and depth of the new MFS. Need a "sink the Yamato" mission... would be a trip!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The MMO genre is all but dead.
View Quote

WoW continued to casualize, GW2 sucked ass from the start, FF is not nearly so involved of an experience as either. I'd love to see the late eq / early wow days again but I don't think it will happen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is there a modern day equivalent to 688 Attack Sub?  Played that and then had a few years of Silent Hunter and Air Warrior before the kids came along.  Starting to get back into things now with War Thunder but have only tried the aviation side so far.
View Quote

Take a look at Cold Waters.  It's the most recent modern attack sub game, but I'm not sure how much it has in common with 688 as I haven't played it, but some friends have.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Are there any space fighter combat games that are as good as or better than Freespace and Freespace 2?  They're over 20 years old, and I haven't found one yet, although there are some I haven't tried.

Elite Dangerous is kinda neat, and I do like some things about it, but it's got some flaws.
View Quote

Some year "soon" Star Citizen will get there.  

I kid, but it's a pretty fun game even at this point in its development.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X Wing

Tie Fighter

Take a look at UBoat.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'd love a new Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator with the graphics and depth of the new MFS. Need a "sink the Yamato" mission... would be a trip!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to refight the Battle of Britain from both sides.

I'd buy this jacket just to wear when flying Spitfires.

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/1607-UK-RAF-Sheepskin-Flying-Jacket-Improved-run/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I love Subnautica. Just do NOT hide your first base in a fucking crevasse in the kelp fields. You will NEVER find it again unless you have beacons.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

Good game. Deep dark water at night swimming around and you hear a reaper roar oooooh shit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I loved those games.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sam Fisher will live forever!

I loved those games.

*Click* eeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://onlinemilitaria.net/products/1607-UK-RAF-Sheepskin-Flying-Jacket-Improved-run/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455681/UK_RAF_Sheepskin_Flying_Jacket_L_jpg-1793392.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455681/UK_RAF_Sheepskin_Flying_Jacket_L_jpg-1793392.JPG

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/kurfurst/
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/planes/spitfire/
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

I have to get into that game.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Lan parties
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It wasn't the gameplay that made split screen essential (Screen lookers can eat a dick). It was the experience.

There will never again be a time in human history in which the boys physically get together with a stack of pizzas, enough mountain dew and cheap vodka to kill a town, and bullshit amongst one another about life, the girls they have crushes on, and their hopes and dreams.

Now they just get on Xbox live and call each other the N word.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I haven't played a good puzzle/logic game since Portal 2
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I haven't played a good puzzle/logic game since Portal 2
View Quote

same here
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top