Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Boooo
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Space combat games, specifically story driven ones, like Wing Commander.  

I miss those.  And yes, I play Elite: Dangerous, but it's not the same... too much time investment required.
View Quote

^this

Stealth games are not dead, they are just incorporated into other games such as open world games

Ghost Recon Wildlands
Gohst Recon Brokepoint
Kingdom Come
Far Cry series

comes to mind.  Ghost Recon does not have good stealth with the AI team mates.  They seem to be invisible unless they fire their weapons.  What YOU do matters quite a bit.

Kingdom Come had been great for stealth.  I used stealth for the majority of the game and poisoned the fuck out of bandits.  Way better than those assassins greed games.

The Dishonored series is fantastic.  If you like Thief, then you should try this series.  You can actually forego the powers if you want (from 2 on i think) as an ingame option.  I love shadowstepping though.   I got the first one years back in a Games For Gold and was instantly hooked, bought the rest with glee.

....also any of the Frictional Horror games like Amnesia require stealth or you get chewed on.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Grand Strategy is that genre's name.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s sure not turn based.  What would you call it?

Grand Strategy is that genre's name.

So it’s a real time grand strategy game?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you can find a good golf game anymore. The old Tiger Woods games were great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
True survival horror games (no, remakes don’t count). Games like the original RE/2/3, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc.  We will see how RE8 stands up, but the survival horror genre, in general, needs a shot in the arm.
View Quote

Did you play RE7

That game also had stealth as did Alien Isolation.

(so much for stealth being dead)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So it’s a real time grand strategy game?
View Quote

You can try and be pedantic if you want, but the genre is called grand strategy. Plenty of games and genres blend parts of others in, but the HoI series is one of the best known GS games.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

^this

Stealth games are not dead, they are just incorporated into other games such as open world games

Ghost Recon Wildlands
Gohst Recon Brokepoint
Kingdom Come
Far Cry series

comes to mind.  Ghost Recon does not have good stealth with the AI team mates.  They seem to be invisible unless they fire their weapons.  What YOU do matters quite a bit.

Kingdom Come had been great for stealth.  I used stealth for the majority of the game and poisoned the fuck out of bandits.  Way better than those assassins greed games.

The Dishonored series is fantastic.  If you like Thief, then you should try this series.  You can actually forego the powers if you want (from 2 on i think) as an ingame option.  I love shadowstepping though.   I got the first one years back in a Games For Gold and was instantly hooked, bought the rest with glee.

....also any of the Frictional Horror games like Amnesia require stealth or you get chewed on.
View Quote

Dishonored was pretty good
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Left4Dead anyone?
View Quote

Back 4 Blood is being made by some of the L4D devs and comes out this year. It looks okay, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Still playing rome total war series games. Might be the only one.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I do not want a reboot of Splinter Cell unless Michael Ironside is involved.  I played the last one they came out with and it did not feel like Splinter Cell without him doing the voice work.  He makes a cameo in the later Ghost Recon games.

Tenchu should be rebooted though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not really a genre... but truly dying. Split screen games. Coop or vs. it’s a rarity to find a game that supports this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not really a genre... but truly dying. Split screen games. Coop or vs. it’s a rarity to find a game that supports this

Fortnite added split screen a few weeks ago.

Quoted:

Split screen sucked, has always sucked and will forever suck.

This is also true.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Stellaris is a good space strategy game as is...mods make it bad ass.

I have around 1600 hrs playing, nothing like enslaving and/or purging filthy Xeno scum

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Multiplayer goldeneye on the n64 was awesome
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Split screen sucked, has always sucked and will forever suck.

Multiplayer goldeneye on the n64 was awesome

Maybe one of the best games ever. My high school and some of college were spent playing many hours of Goldeneye and Mariokart. We also played a lot of NHL Hitz on PS2.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Used to play a lot of Total Annihilation.
View Quote

Forged Alliance Forever still have an extremely strong community, it’s basically next-gen TA
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks to some folks here, the wife and I do some old school gaming on a Retropie fairly often.

For me personally, I miss America’s Army (FPS from the 00’s). The only thing I play on PC now is DCS and FS2020.

Edit-occasionally I’ll pull up Age of Empires.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Non-consensual player vs. player games.  
View Quote

Eve Online. Everything and everyone can be killed, wreck looted, and stuff lost.  Scamming (outside of account theft) isnt illegal.  Retaliation isnt illegal.  PVP is the way of the game, mostly.  Also group PVE.  And then the group PVP, I reference the multi thousand player battles happening for the last 9 months.   Anyone can 3rd party in those.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Maybe I'm just old but F video games. Although I've been playing Madden for 20 years there's nothing that interests me anymore. I have Call of Duty but every time I go to play it requires a huge update. A bunch of silly ass add ons. Multiplayer mode is unrealistic as humans run around like they're cyborgs on PCP, way too fast. Campaign mode is like most games now, no intelligence required, just linear. Loved the old days of Goldeneye. Spend all day trying to beat a level, you finally nail it just to realize you missed one fucking objective. RESET, UGH.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good RPGs.

Most will be woke garbage going forward. Mass effect 3 wasn’t as good as the first two and pushed some woke BS. Andromeda the woke was stronger like them uglifying the female protagonist versus the gorgeous model they based her on versus the male one looked exactly like the male model they used because feminism or some shit. The first 3 games I literally did 6 plus characters to see how slight choice changes changed everything. Andromeda I finished it once.

Dragon age 3 the story was kinda interesting the gameplay boring. I don’t have any hope for the next one. There were trannies in the last one that kinda fit the story and weren’t preachy / look at me like the shuttle pilot in me3.

The Outter worlds I tried to like it. I put a decent number of hours in twice trying to like it. Never finished it. The gameplay meh plus the corporations and capitalism bad with everything got old. Though it has some funny stuff. I loved fallout new Vegas and was hoping for something that good.

Fallout 4 kinda sucked. New Vegas was better. 76 was a money grab.

Skyrim is almost a decade old and while wide as a ocean the gameplay and what you do is deep as a puddle. It’s most redeeming factor is mods, and it’s genuinely fun to play even if at least I tend to forget the main story and explore / side quest.

The only bright spot is cd project red. The poles are woke resistant.
View Quote

Do you get to the cloud district often?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Side scrollers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Most of today's games are about grinding away.

Lack of innovation and thought  in making new ones are killing genres.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do you get to the cloud district often?
View Quote

Incidentally, Keith Silverstein does a great job as a VA in Genshin Impact, which would be a great ARPG if it weren't a gacha game.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#27]
You will never get to play FF7 or FF8 for the first time again
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Honestly, I can’t even play video games anymore. Nothing holds my attention the way they used to
View Quote

This.
About all I ever play now is around is 20 minutes to an hour of Warthunder in single player realistic/sim,  just for a quick flight sim fix.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Flight simulators, especially combat. War thunder is only doing well because of arcade mode.
View Quote

DCS and FS2020 are doing very well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It wasn't the gameplay that made split screen essential (Screen lookers can eat a dick). It was the experience.

There will never again be a time in human history in which the boys physically get together with a stack of pizzas, enough mountain dew and cheap vodka to kill a town, and bullshit amongst one another about life, the girls they have crushes on, and their hopes and dreams.

Now they just get on Xbox live and call each other the N word.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Just here to say that anyone who puts a forced stealth section with instafail in a game deserves to be burned at the stake
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Present day multiplayer online game culture pretty much ruined computer games for me.

Get off my lawn...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You will never get to play FF7 or FF8 for the first time again
View Quote
I will never forget the first time I played RE1.  I was a teenager in my bedroom and dropped the disk in to check it out some before i went to bed.  Wanted the full experience, so lights off, headphones on etc.

I swear the next thing that happened was I noticed a light in my otherwise pitch black room, on the floor.  I looked over in the direction it was coming from to realize that it was coming around the side of my bedroom window shade.  I thought....can't be.  Opened the shade and the sun was coming up.  

Looked at the time and I had to be to work at my summer job in an hour.  The whole night went by in what felt like 10 minutes.

That game is a work of art.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

DCS and FS2020 are doing very well.
View Quote

The new clouds for DCS 2.7 are going to be a huge improvement.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Still playing rome total war series games. Might be the only one.
View Quote

Lol far from it theres alot of youtube channels dedicated to total war games. DEI for rome 2 might be the best mod ever made
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Kind of surprised no one posted this recent video from Razorfist. It's called The Death of The Game Genre - A Rant.
The Death of The Game Genre - A Rant
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Rimworld is a fun little RTSish game as well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Check out Ready or Not, it's a lot like Swat IV
View Quote

Is RoN still actually being produced?  The subreddit feels as if it isn't going anywhere at this point last I checked
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Anything that isn't online multiplayer and full of shitty micro transactions.

I also loved open world sandbox games and games where 2 people can play split screen.

Finally, I loved that Microsoft ww2 strategy game. I forget the name,but it was top down. I want more of that.

Oh and sim city. Bring that back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Really miss Mech games. The last great one I think was PS2's Zone of the Enders. Really looking forward to Titanfall 3.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Anything that isn't online multiplayer and full of shitty micro transactions.

I also loved open world sandbox games and games where 2 people can play split screen.

Finally, I loved that Microsoft ww2 strategy game. I forget the name,but it was top down. I want more of that.

Oh and sim city. Bring that back.
View Quote
City Skylines.  It's what Sim City wished it could be.  Great game.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is RoN still actually being produced?  The subreddit feels as if it isn't going anywhere at this point last I checked
View Quote

It looks good but the paid alpha/beta really rubbed me the wrong way
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Really miss Mech games. The last great one I think was PS2's Zone of the Enders. Really looking forward to Titanfall 3.
View Quote

Did you try Mechwarrior 5?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sadly that’s part of the norm now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Those genres aren't truly dead, just innovation has been punched in the gut and is lying on the floor.

The companies that were innovative pioneers of the last several decades are a shadow of their former selves due to bloat and invasion of sjw politics.  As new technology arrives you will see a revival of these genres from new hungry companies.

Just give it time.  Within the next decade, they will come back.  I especially think stealth VR gaming will be a huge success.
View Quote

I've been playing Half-Life: Alyx by Valve. It's a VR game with elements of stealth in it. A hell of a game if you have a VR set and a rig to run it.

Also, flight simulators are pretty much dead except for DCS.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Immersive sims, think Bioshock, Thief, Deus Ex, Dishonored etc. Haven't seen a new one in years and no news.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Zone of the Enders 2 is the only game I ever finished and replayed immediately. So fun!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Kind of surprised no one posted this recent video from Razorfist. It's called The Death of The Game Genre - A Rant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZbXWb4TmE
View Quote

LOL.  

Can't believe he ejected all of that without mentioning the erection of microtransactions that have to be implemented into every AAA title these days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top