BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly, I can’t even play video games anymore. Nothing holds my attention the way they used to
View Quote

Not much holds my attention anymore. RDR2 was great (any Rockstar game story is worth playing). Otherwise I play a lot of sims and mod for them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Side Scroll.... oh wait...

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Space combat games, specifically story driven ones, like Wing Commander.  

I miss those.  And yes, I play Elite: Dangerous, but it's not the same... too much time investment required.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You have to go into the survival/horror FPS genre to get that, and even then there will be PVE servers and carebears. DayZ, Ark, etc.

I had high hopes for Fallout 76 being the same way, but nope, PVE fest.

Nothing gets the blood pumping like seeing a person and trying to decide if they're friendly or will screw you, or if you should screw them. It can be dozens of hours of gear, gone with a single 7.62 bullet to the noggin. I love it.

Kharn
View Quote

You’ve got to be hardcore for that shit. People like me need something we can play 15 hours a day on a 3 day wweekend, then come back a month later and finish up.  I’d just end up getting teabagged by 10 year olds the whole time. LOL
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to love RTS but as they advanced they've become too dependent on APM (Actions Per Minute).

I got pretty good at Starcraft 2 and enjoyed it but as I got better it became less of a game and more of a chore.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I loved the old Command & Conquer games. Now play Stellaris.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Call of duty . Skill based matchmaking is ruining cod
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
True survival horror games (no, remakes don’t count). Games like the original RE/2/3, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc.  We will see how RE8 stands up, but the survival horror genre, in general, needs a shot in the arm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Sandbox games

Current gen is too long, too bloated, and much less fun than prior gens

Once the phrase "core loop" became common place games suddenly got a lot less fun

With the exception of GTAV, the vast majority are garbage
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sam Fisher will live forever!
View Quote
Yeah I need more Splinter Cell.

I played Cyberpunk 2077 like I was playing Splinter Cell.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Flight simulators, especially combat. War thunder is only doing well because of arcade mode.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
True survival horror games (no, remakes don’t count). Games like the original RE/2/3, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc.  We will see how RE8 stands up, but the survival horror genre, in general, needs a shot in the arm.
View Quote

The Evil Within was good, EW:2 somewhat of a lateral move or possibly downgrade - very much a blend of SH and RE in a good way

RE7 was IMO a serious change of pace for the worse compared to where the series was going, the shittiest parts of RE mashed up with SH with a layer of gross on top. Not engaging, IMO.

Has there really been anything else for the PS4/XB1 generation? It seems like a lot of the energy that went into survival horror games got directed into non-combat walking simulators like SOMA.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sandbox games

Current gen is too long, too bloated, and much less fun than prior gens

Once the phrase "core loop" became common place games suddenly got a lot less fun

With the exception of GTAV, the vast majority are garbage
View Quote

I personally thought RDR2 was a masterpiece. Building a computer last year to play it on high/ultra was awesome in itself.
I had so much fun taking my time and absorbing that world Rockstar created.

Right now I'm playing Jedi Fallen Order. Another one of my favs in recent times.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
RTS is all I play when I have time. If you can't conquer the world what good are you?
View Quote
I desperately want a Total War: Rome 3 and Medieval 3. I have not cared for their other recent offerings. Warhammer is amazing but I am not as interested in that over the top fantasy world.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Thief and the sequel were great, especially when it came to making the sound an important part of gameplay.

I think that Dishonored and Styx were both decent and in the same genre.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Flight simulators, especially combat. War thunder is only doing well because of arcade mode.
View Quote

I don’t think these are dying, FS2020 is improving, DCS is aging but looks great and supports VR. I would put Elite Dangerous in that category as well, it’s getting a large update this year.

Those who like RTS should check out Factorio. I think it’ll check all your boxes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Evil Within was good, EW:2 somewhat of a lateral move or possibly downgrade - very much a blend of SH and RE in a good way

RE7 was IMO a serious change of pace for the worse compared to where the series was going, the shittiest parts of RE mashed up with SH with a layer of gross on top. Not engaging, IMO.

Has there really been anything else for the PS4/XB1 generation? It seems like a lot of the energy that went into survival horror games got directed into non-combat walking simulators like SOMA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True survival horror games (no, remakes don't count). Games like the original RE/2/3, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc.  We will see how RE8 stands up, but the survival horror genre, in general, needs a shot in the arm.

Alien: Isolation
Dying Light
Last of Us

those were all really fun

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:20:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Space combat games, specifically story driven ones, like Wing Commander.  

I miss those.  And yes, I play Elite: Dangerous, but it's not the same... too much time investment required.
View Quote
I think Squadron 42 will be out next year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good RPGs.

Most will be woke garbage going forward. Mass effect 3 wasn’t as good as the first two and pushed some woke BS. Andromeda the woke was stronger like them uglifying the female protagonist versus the gorgeous model they based her on versus the male one looked exactly like the male model they used because feminism or some shit. The first 3 games I literally did 6 plus characters to see how slight choice changes changed everything. Andromeda I finished it once.

Dragon age 3 the story was kinda interesting the gameplay boring. I don’t have any hope for the next one. There were trannies in the last one that kinda fit the story and weren’t preachy / look at me like the shuttle pilot in me3.

The Outter worlds I tried to like it. I put a decent number of hours in twice trying to like it. Never finished it. The gameplay meh plus the corporations and capitalism bad with everything got old. Though it has some funny stuff. I loved fallout new Vegas and was hoping for something that good.

Fallout 4 kinda sucked. New Vegas was better. 76 was a money grab.

Skyrim is almost a decade old and while wide as a ocean the gameplay and what you do is deep as a puddle. It’s most redeeming factor is mods, and it’s genuinely fun to play even if at least I tend to forget the main story and explore / side quest.

The only bright spot is cd project red. The poles are woke resistant.
View Quote

I see you havent jumped into cyberpunk yet though to be honest the base material was also a bit on a the "woke" side of things for its time as far as TTRPGs go
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just thinkin the other day that there hasn't been a Splinter Cell in quite a while.  I don't think I played the most recent one, they may need to reboot the series and just be a pure, vanilla story again.

It's also been a long time since a good, realistic SP FPS has released.  I loved the SWAT, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon games back in the day.  The original style, not the modernized bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Good turned-based RPGs.  

I'm about to just say F it and pay the 59.99 for early access to Baldur's Gate 3.  

And I do miss old school MMORPGs like UO pre-Trammel.
View Quote

BG3 is good. The part they've released is already one of the best d&d based rpgs. It's got kind of a neverwinter nights feel to it. And it's gorgeous.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#22]
The thing that has killed off RTS and a lot of other genres like Strategy games is the desire to be cross platform with consoles and even mobile.

RTS games just don’t play that well with a controller, and if you are going to spend tens of millions of dollars on a game, it needs to be on as many platforms as possible.

Of course, this has led to the market being flooded with a bunch of “me too” FPS shooters and MMO’s.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I miss good single player and maybe local coop split screen stuff. I either play by myself or with my boys, I have no interest in online multi-player, I'm too casual for that!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you played DCS World?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#25]
OP:  Have you tried Hearts of Iron 4 and/or Command Modern Air/Naval Combat for RTS games?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Dying Light
Last of Us

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True survival horror games (no, remakes don't count). Games like the original RE/2/3, Dead Space, Silent Hill, etc.  We will see how RE8 stands up, but the survival horror genre, in general, needs a shot in the arm.

Dying Light
Last of Us

I forgot about Dying Light, both games were excellent with the right blend of action and survival horror. Alien Isolation and LOU were prior gen, I played them both on the PS3/360 - both really good though. I wish we'd seen an Alien Isolation style game for the PS4. I forget LOU2 exists because of how poorly they treated Joel

Dying light is one of the rare handful of games each generation that really shows some evolution in design and concept. Like Half-Life Orange Box for the 5th gen.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Single player space flight sims.

X Wing

Tie Fighter

(Squadrons is NOT the same. Too much focus on the multiplayer aspect.)

Descent Freespace and Freespace 2.

On the subject of stealth games, I also miss the original Splinter Cell. Still remember hiding in the shadows, analyzing patrol patterns for guards, with nothing but a suppressed pistol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Tactical shooters on consoles.

Games like SOCOM I and II and Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30 will always hold a special place in my heart. There was a lot of fun in directing a fireteam in real time. Now every shooter is a repackaged Call of Duty, even the series that started the genre like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sam Fisher will live forever!
View Quote

<------Can't Kill Me!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Voice work for CoH was probably the best in any RTS ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWbMISL_93g
View Quote

Try the voices for the war hammer dawn of war and dawn of war 2 games, they are mostly awesome and occasionally hilarious
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Used to play a lot of Total Annihilation.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Before my PS2 finally shit the bed, Manhunt was one of my constantly played games.

It would be hard to beat a stealth game where you get to use a shopping bag to snuff a dude.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Are turn based strategy games dead and gone?
I used to love playing Disciples II back in the day on pc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IDK how modern World of Warcraft is set up, I play WotLK on Warmane, and only the starting zones are safe. World PVP is still a thing.

View Quote

Last expansion they changed all PVP servers to PVE by default and you have to consent to PVP, which phases you into zones with only PVE babies or PVPers. Nobody world PVPs like in the past.

It's a big part of why I quit for good last expansion, and I've played since 2005.

As for dead genres, I really appreciated the attempt by Obsidian to revive RTWP games with Pillars of Eternity, but it was a really shitty game on launch. It got better with later updates, but I thought 2 was terrible. The ship combat was dumb, the story was awful, and it just felt mediocre. Although not exactly the same, Larion's current takes on RPGs seem to scratch the same itch fairly well.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I want a video game where I play a patrol cop, I want to pull folks over and smash windows, shoot tires/dogs and generally harass hoods. I want to make the decision to either let the fucker OD or give him the good stuff. Make the game with a bribe system, the gang who pays me the most gets me help. I want to bang hookers in the trunk of my cruiser, with the option of leaving her if needed be. 18 wheeling mother truckers will be dealt with, I'm the trucker fucker with the badge in this game. Stopped with a gun on your person? I'm calling in all my boys to chokehold your punk ass. Video takers will be dealt with accordingly.
Motherfuckers I want a true to life cop game. With graphics like LA Noir but not so story based cause in this game, all doors are kickable.
Real life shit

In the meantime I'll just play fucking tetris
View Quote

That's called roblox.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Medieval total war 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still playing rome total war series games. Might be the only one.

Medieval total war 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

I have warhammer total war, I like it, battles are smooth but the campaign screen is a slideshow.

I wish they would have made a middle earth total war.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#37]
There was a computer game called "Motor City Online" that was one of my all time favorites. Sort of an early-version of an open world car racing/building game with a functioning economy and a lot of cool stuff.

I don't think anything like that exists now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Split screen sucked, has always sucked and will forever suck.
View Quote

I assume sarcasm?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's also been a long time since a good, realistic SP FPS has released.  I loved the SWAT, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon games back in the day.  The original style, not the modernized bullshit.
View Quote

That’s true. There’s a sort of renaissance going on with more realistic and tactical MP FPS games, but we don’t really have a good spiritual successor to games like old school Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon.

Maybe Ground Branch will get released
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP:  Have you tried Hearts of Iron 4 and/or Command Modern Air/Naval Combat for RTS games?
View Quote

HOI4 is a great game, but it’s not an RTS.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#41]
For me RTS died when Blizzard inexplicably decided to NEVER make a warcraft 4.  Anybody remember Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne?  Best RTS ever IMO.
Seems like all I play now are online battle royale FPS and Dota 2.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That’s true. There’s a sort of renaissance going on with more realistic and tactical MP FPS games, but we don’t really have a good spiritual successor to games like old school Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon.

Maybe Ground Branch will get released
View Quote

Check out Ready or Not, it's a lot like Swat IV
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#43]
the stealth games you are seeking have evolved into the horror genre with titles such as Alien: Isolation, Outlast, Amnesia, etc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It wasn't the gameplay that made split screen essential (Screen lookers can eat a dick). It was the experience.

There will never again be a time in human history in which the boys physically get together with a stack of pizzas, enough mountain dew and cheap vodka to kill a town, and bullshit amongst one another about life, the girls they have crushes on, and their hopes and dreams.

Now they just get on Xbox live and call each other the N word.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Split screen sucked, has always sucked and will forever suck.
It wasn't the gameplay that made split screen essential (Screen lookers can eat a dick). It was the experience.

There will never again be a time in human history in which the boys physically get together with a stack of pizzas, enough mountain dew and cheap vodka to kill a town, and bullshit amongst one another about life, the girls they have crushes on, and their hopes and dreams.

Now they just get on Xbox live and call each other the N word.

I was a bit young for the vodka, but that just hit me right in the childhood
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Any game that doesn’t readily support “in app purchases”, which seems to be the only reason games exist these days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s sure not turn based.  What would you call it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
the stealth games you are seeking have evolved into the horror genre with titles such as Alien: Isolation, Outlast, Amnesia, etc.
View Quote

Boooo
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It’s sure not turn based.  What would you call it?
View Quote

Grand Strategy is that genre's name.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There was a computer game called "Motor City Online" that was one of my all time favorites. Sort of an early-version of an open world car racing/building game with a functioning economy and a lot of cool stuff.

I don't think anything like that exists now.
View Quote

Automation

The game that is

You can design your engines and cars from scratch.

Its a car fanatics dream

You can even import your creations to beamg and drive them around.

It even gets continuous updates every few months too

One of my fav games ever

https://www.google.com/search?q=automation+game&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=vsin&sxsrf=ALeKk01ZbzdN4IuqmQ_EQ_MRfvoybrNvAA:1611422484099&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisgP3FyLLuAhVQlVkKHYCOBMAQ_AUIFCgA&biw=412&bih=775&dpr=2.63

@M1Lou
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't play video games much at all anymore, but there's something nostalgic about the NES through N64 era.  I feel old saying it, but nowadays the games are absurdly expensive, need a 4k TV to get the full experience, and have such a steep learning curve, it's hardly worthwhile.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top