Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol here’s your .gov GPS recorder.
View Quote

Which is the actual goal.

Tire wear is proportional to mileage, they could just jack tire taxes to insane levels (adjusted for compound, size, etc.)

But that wouldn't result in a database to track people with.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Lol they discouraging electric cars
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a way something similar is already happening on a state level. I have to pay an extra fee something like 100 or 150 for my Tesla and wife's Fusion Energi. The state wants to collect its road tax somehow. An additional kick in the nuts if we aren't driving those I've got a diesel truck and she has a big passenger van. Both use a lot of fuel, therefore we pay a lot of state gas tax. They're getting us either way. Now the feds want some too

ETA that fee is added to the yearly registration $150 for my electric and $50 for her plug in hybrid
Lol they discouraging electric cars

And we can't use horses because "METHANE GAS"!!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw this coming with insurance safe driving fob you plug into your OBDII port. More tracking and control.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The days of my electric car being a good choice seem to be coming to a stall.

I don’t use the OnStar features though, so perhaps disabling tracking and getting plate blockers are in my future.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Amazon pays road tax.  Amazons operating costs increase. Their prices increase and the beneficiaries of the road (the consumer) pays for it.

I also actually think the per-mile tax is a way more fair approach to asses construction, damage and repair costs of road infrastructure versus a per-gallon tax. There’s many reasons I might consume more fuel (and pay higher “road tax”) than someone driving many miles with an efficient car or EV despite me never driving a single mile on a public road.

If the Dems were smart, they would push it harder...
a) it sets ups “legitimate” basis for the IRS putting a gps tracker in new vehicles to log miles for tax assessment purposes.
b) taxing per mile will drive people toward urban centers again (which lean heavily democratic) And result in more D representatives.
c) big city tax revenue will also increase from the influx of people wanting to live closer to work.
View Quote

Where would they allocate these tax fund to? Only to fed highways? Only big city roads? Every po-dunk town have pristine roads while city lies in ruins?

At least gas station business (locations) can help pinpoint mostly used roads and highways to allocate funds.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And no ones asking what Lt Pete has ever done in his life that qualifies him to even oversee these things.
View Quote

Qualifications are sooooo bourgeoisie.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's where you're wrong. They know exactly what they are doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will completely screw people that have to commute longer distances for work.  Moving closer to work is not really a great option for reasons of higher housing costs, lack of housing, etc.  People who have to travel for work using their own vehicles get really screwed, pizza delivery, UPS and FedEx will add surcharges to deliveries driving up costs, trucking industry prices will increase.

With this one simple trick, along with their environmental policies and they can completely destroy what's left of the economy.  Small biz and restaurants, forget driving to them and paying additional fees for just driving their.

These people are completely economic incompetent.

Once the middle class is gone, their suburban homes demolished and the land restored to nature, the hoards ensconced in megacities of crime and squalor then they (the elite) can travel freely in their electric cars from the country club to their gated, guarded estates in the country, free of the rabble.

The interim process is all about making the middle class suburban lifestyle and personal transportation as challenging as possible so that it becomes less and less attainable/sustainable for the average person.

This has jack nothing to do with fixing the roads, saving the planet etc. With all the tax $ taken in we should have the best road system on the planet. But we don't because the majority of that money is syphoned off for pet projects and lost to fraud.
This has everything to do with "them" wanting rid of "us" because we are in the way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Amazon pays road tax.  Amazons operating costs increase. Their prices increase and the beneficiaries of the road (the consumer) pays for it.

I also actually think the per-mile tax is a way more fair approach to asses construction, damage and repair costs of road infrastructure versus a per-gallon tax. There’s many reasons I might consume more fuel (and pay higher “road tax”) than someone driving many miles with an efficient car or EV despite me never driving a single mile on a public road.

a) it sets ups “legitimate” basis for the IRS putting a gps tracker in new vehicles to log miles for tax assessment purposes.
b) taxing per mile will drive people toward urban centers again (which lean heavily democratic) And result in more D representatives.
c) big city tax revenue will also increase from the influx of people wanting to live closer to work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is that different than people who don't have kids but still have their property taxes pay for public schools. Even if someone doesn't drive much they still benefit from the roads. How else would your amazon packages get delivered?

Amazon and other "woke" companies will have exemptions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Typical government bullshit.  Reminds me of the opioid crisis.  Government says doctors need to go big on Suboxone for everyone.  So they do.  Then the DEA starts hitting doctors, wholesalers, and pharmacies like the fist of God for dispensing TOO MUCH Suboxone!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And no ones asking what Lt Pete has ever done in his life that qualifies him to even oversee these things.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, it's all on purpose to break you financially and gain control over you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They've been proposing this scheme in WA for while now, as a supposed option, paying either gas tax or by the mile. I did the math and 20MPG is the break-even point, so if you get less than 20MPG you're better off paying by the mile.
View Quote

Awesome, 11-15 here
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Plug in 12v power supply in garage with OBDII harness for the GPS tracker.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that, but still.

They’re not even pretending now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think I can adequately express my dislike for these people.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't think I can adequately express my dislike for these people.
View Quote

You are NOT alone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#18]
And by Infrastructure Plan they mean payments to cronies and unions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We’re all in this together!...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh no....my odometer is broken

No, I'm not in this with the 80 million people that supposedly voted for this guy. Fuck them all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Catch wild pig, attach gps thingy and solar battery pack, release pig into wild.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And tada!  Like that .gov can track you wherever you go. All part of the plan.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Actually this makes some sense.  Fuel taxes are used to fund highway construction and maintenance.  Since people are using less fuel, the revenue stream is decreasing.  The model no longer works.  This would be a more equitable.  Right now the guy who has to drive a gas guzzler pickup truck gets screwed.  The guy driving a Tesla doesn't pay anything, yet may drive many more highway miles.
View Quote

...except, gas taxes aren't going anywhere.   They're happy to continue fucking over the guy driving a pickup.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Actually this makes some sense.  Fuel taxes are used to fund highway construction and maintenance.  Since people are using less fuel, the revenue stream is decreasing.  The model no longer works.  This would be a more equitable.  Right now the guy who has to drive a gas guzzler pickup truck gets screwed.  The guy driving a Tesla doesn't pay anything, yet may drive many more highway miles.
View Quote
this guy gets it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be your phone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good plan to further consolidate the power they get from large city populations.

Also, will they implement a plan to tax the internet usage of those at-home workers who hardly drive at all?
View Quote
Of course.  Its called "Occupational Privilege Tax for telework"   I'm not joking.  Our HR department had a little blurb about this in a recent email.  Some localities should be charging this soon.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you really think the gas tax will go away?  Or it is more likely to be a gas tax AND a mileage tax?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Those things are very fragile.
View Quote

Very easy to shroud the receiver so the signal isnt even picked up.

Local LE used to put tuna cans over their RX for the GPS on their cars until administration got wise and started writing people up.

For those who are really smart they can stream GPS data between the RX and whatever is recording data.    Wanna go 870 miles per hour 365 days a year?   Whatever.

All this kind of shit is probably partially the reason the Feds/EPA hate tuners.    People amart enough to go in and turn any of this shit on or off.

I already pay registration based on the value of 4 cars, used to be 5...

Plus I pay stupid ridiculous taxes on gas.

No fucking way I am paying an honest mileage as well.  If I can rip off the states/feds I will do it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#28]
They have to figure out a way to pay for all those covid checks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#29]
I paid an additional $52 “Efficiency Advantage Tax”  for this year’s registration due to driving a hybrid (Volt).
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
To be fair, and based on my understanding, the whole point of gas taxes was to fund muh roads proportional to how much people used them/the wear and tear they cause. Well, with an electric/hybrid vehicle you are paying much less than "your fair share" towards road maintenance.

When given the option between a "gas tax" and a "per mile tax" I would actually opt for the per mile tax. The problem, of course, is that the government is going to "get both."

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can't renew your registration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol my mom drove her car for six months after her registration expired.

No penalty because of the covid when she renewed.

Drive six months past registration date, Fix odometer, get renewed and disable odometer.

Drive another 12-18 months rinse and repeat.

I can walk in any Walmart and find 5-10 expired tags and nothing is done about it. LE has bigger fish to fry anyway.

No imagine millions of cars with GPSes, you think they will able to actually track them all? How many GPS will stay serviceable?

How many grannies driving their old car will claim to not understand how to check on them?

Cant even keep people from driving around on bald tires and you think they will maintain a GPS system?

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
To be fair, and based on my understanding, the whole point of gas taxes was to fund muh roads proportional to how much people used them/the wear and tear they cause. Well, with an electric/hybrid vehicle you are paying much less than "your fair share" towards road maintenance.

When given the option between a "gas tax" and a "per mile tax" I would actually opt for the per mile tax. The problem, of course, is that the government is going to "get both."

View Quote

We should bet .

I bet that if your current gas tax is .....say 500 a year , the new “fair” per mile tax for you will be 2000 a year

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#34]
They'll just make it so the only allowable cars can data link the fuel pump.

You have driven 357 miles since your last fill up. Your tax is $87.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#35]
one thing about progressive edicts. The bar will be raised and lowered at their will. You don't like the current order, directive, edict, demand? Stick around there will soon be one coming down the pike you'll like even less.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#36]
It is my understanding that half of the taxes collected through gasoline sales that are suppose to go into road and infrastructure repair just go to the general slush fund.  Spending is out of control so the slush fund needs more revenue.  More revenue means more taxes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#37]
My prediction in 5-10 years we will have these climate change maggots picketing and protesting people at gas stations. The government and these left wing maggots will turn up the heat in convincing people the next 5 years, but after that it will evolve into intimidation, violence, doxing of people with gas burning cars, etc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Electric company here in NY urged everyone to use less electricity

So people used less electricity

Power company charged everyone a surcharge for using less electricity to make up for lost revenue
View Quote

California said to use less water. People did a very good job. Too good. They were clamoring that tax revenues were falling.
God forbid they cut government or spend wisely.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, that wont skyrocket inflation further or anything....especially not with trucking...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you really think the gas tax will go away?  Or it is more likely to be a gas tax AND a mileage tax?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AND a tax on a non-green vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Drive six months past registration date, Fix odometer, get renewed and disable odometer.

I can walk in any Walmart and find 5-10 expired tags and nothing is done about it. LE has bigger fish to fry anyway.

No imagine millions of cars with GPSes, you think they will able to actually track them all? How many GPS will stay serviceable?

How many grannies driving their old car will claim to not understand how to check on them?

Cant even keep people from driving around on bald tires and you think they will maintain a GPS system?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, yeah, that’s an option.

Just be a criminal till you’re caught and live whatever penalties are imposed. Might not even be that bad.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#42]
IL bills electric vehicles an extra 100/year.  IL originally wanted 1K but backed down
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:13:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's existed since the 70's, the Gas Guzzler Tax.  Doesn't apply to trucks and SUV's though, so mostly just large sports cars get stung nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Anytime the .gov raises the cost of me doing business I raise my price plus a percentage to compensate.  So my customers end up paying more for the same service.

Implement a per mile tax and my customers will see a Service Call Fee and a Gov Mandated Mileage Tax on the invoices
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry no.

Keep your odometer in order you commie criminal Lol-libertarian tard

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's existed since the 70's, the Gas Guzzler Tax.  Doesn't apply to trucks and SUV's though, so mostly just large sports cars get stung nowadays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I mean if you’re not driving an Approved Green Vehicle, you’ll get fined/taxed for using it, probably on your registration.

Gas guzzler is just a one time fee on the original sale.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Why continue the charade of "funding" spending bills?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
No that's fucking retarded, why would you punish people for trying to save our planet?

Electric vehicles owners are doing their part to fight the continued use of fossil fuels, no need to punish our Eco defending hero's

The tax lost to electric vehicles is worth the price to save our planet.

And all jokes aside this plan will just usher in more gov overreach and loss of freedom.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.

It's just feeding metadata to a computer that tells the nasty woman with the sour temper at the DMV how much road tax you owe when you go in to renew your plates. There's nothing difficult about it at all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It is my understanding that half of the taxes collected through gasoline sales that are suppose to go into road and infrastructure repair just go to the general slush fund.  Spending is out of control so the slush fund needs more revenue.  More revenue means more taxes.
View Quote

At the state level in Illinois (home of some of the highest fuel taxes in the nation) every year the roads get worse. Every year they invent some new tax to fix them but they never get fixed. That money gets siphoned into the state employee pension fund before it ever sees IDOTs coffers.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top