Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The problem is, they are keeping the gas tax and in fact are raising it while simultaneously applying this new tax to everyone regardless of vehicle power type.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually this makes some sense.  Fuel taxes are used to fund highway construction and maintenance.  Since people are using less fuel, the revenue stream is decreasing.  The model no longer works.  This would be a more equitable.  Right now the guy who has to drive a gas guzzler pickup truck gets screwed.  The guy driving a Tesla doesn't pay anything, yet may drive many more highway miles.

The problem is, they are keeping the gas tax and in fact are raising it while simultaneously applying this new tax to everyone regardless of vehicle power type.

Yeah, if you change the system, change the system. Don’t stack the systems
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How is that different than people who don't have kids but still have their property taxes pay for public schools. Even if someone doesn't drive much they still benefit from the roads. How else would your amazon packages get delivered?

View Quote

Amazon pays road tax.  Amazons operating costs increase. Their prices increase and the beneficiaries of the road (the consumer) pays for it.

I also actually think the per-mile tax is a way more fair approach to asses construction, damage and repair costs of road infrastructure versus a per-gallon tax. There’s many reasons I might consume more fuel (and pay higher “road tax”) than someone driving many miles with an efficient car or EV despite me never driving a single mile on a public road.

If the Dems were smart, they would push it harder...
a) it sets ups “legitimate” basis for the IRS putting a gps tracker in new vehicles to log miles for tax assessment purposes.
b) taxing per mile will drive people toward urban centers again (which lean heavily democratic) And result in more D representatives.
c) big city tax revenue will also increase from the influx of people wanting to live closer to work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The government likes taxes and will punish everyone they can.
View Quote

FPNI
FJB.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Can’t renew your registration.
View Quote

Quoted:

That's easy. The fine for a broken odometer is equal to the tax on 25,000 miles.

Government solutions for government problems.
View Quote

The government is wise. The government knows what is best...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Guess a certain somebody somebody will be disconnecting the speedo cables from his 95 Cobra and 66 Mustangs to make them hos daily drivers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#6]
If they want equal tax from everyone who uses roads then they damn well better figure out a way to tax bicyclists per mile too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck these assholes just can’t stop themselves can they. “Let’s just tax our way out of the hole”

How about quit printing money dickhead & realize also actions like cars that get 40 mpg have consequences. Some good, some bad.

Maybe if they opened up the economy people would drive more and they could get some that sweet tax monies they love so.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good, I hope they do it and the private sector finally invents the transporter just so Biden can fail at something else.  

(the kind from The Fly, not Star Trek).
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fuck these assholes just can’t stop themselves can they. “Let’s just tax our way out of the hole”

How about quit printing money dickhead & realize also actions like cars that get 40 mpg have consequences. Some good, some bad.

Maybe if they opened up the economy people would drive more and they could get some that sweet tax monies they love so.
View Quote

You’re not thinking government
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The government at every level burns so much money they could rebuild every road in America and it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket.  There is nothing about raising any tax that "makes sense".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually this makes some sense.  Fuel taxes are used to fund highway construction and maintenance.  Since people are using less fuel, the revenue stream is decreasing.  The model no longer works.  This would be a more equitable.  Right now the guy who has to drive a gas guzzler pickup truck gets screwed.  The guy driving a Tesla doesn't pay anything, yet may drive many more highway miles.

The government at every level burns so much money they could rebuild every road in America and it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket.  There is nothing about raising any tax that "makes sense".
But at least it will be equitable. Equitable. EQUITABLE.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#12]
electric cars are not about lowering your tax burden. That was just a lie.  Just like switching to natural gas.  
In their minds, electric cars are about "going green" no matter the cost to you.  You MUST do whats best for humanity no matter the cost.  
eventually the incentives to switch hurt the tax revenues so its time to find ways to increase it.
As mentioned you see that with power companies too.  They dont want you to use too much electricity but their is a baseline amount needed to keep the support structure in place. So if you conserve too much, they add a fee.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Restricting/tracking movement is a big part of this agenda too.

Currently if you don't care to play the TSA grope-games and airline rules, you can just jump in your car and road-trip if you don't mind the time it takes.

If implemented, good luck affording road travel or not being tracked everywhere you go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not to worry!!!

Your phone GPS still works and your vehicles GPS as well.

View Quote

I have neither.  My car is rather fuel efficient 52 to 58 MPG, but it is an old diesel, so not quite as clean as a modern one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#15]
It won’t affect me much since I am working from home
View Quote

Yes it will.  Everything relies on transportation.  Perhaps they'll come up with some new internet use tax to generate gov revenue, should be a gold mine with all those people working from home these days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#16]
expect your tax burden to match something like Denmark eventually.
Just do a search for how much tax is on a vehicle.
Utopia isnt going to be paid for by the proles.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:29:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I look forward to creating yet another phenomenally expensive and comically inefficient government bureaucracy to ensure that I pay my share.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Obama's Transportation Secretary proposed this, it required a government GPS unit installed in every car - I'm not kidding.  The purpose of the GPS, supposedly, was to avoid billing off road use and to fairly split taxes between the states traveled in.  Of course it would never be used to invade anyone's privacy blah blah blah.

Keep a sharp eye on this, it's another big building block for the dictatorship.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]
The next 4 years are gonna be so full of awesome!

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some states are baking the road taxes into the registration fees for EVs and plug-in hybrids.
I did the math, and paying the EV plate fee on a SparkEV would be double what I'd pay in gas tax driving a Spark 1.4L.

Quoted:
I'm actually in favor of "tax per mile". The people using the roads should pay for the usage.

Now with that said: they will have to abandon the fuel tax at the pump bullshit. Of course this will never happen,

Are we taxing for road occupancy or wear and tear?
Barring the purchase of fuels outside the tax system, a fuel tax is a pretty good proxy for wear, at least until you get over ten tons or so.
A dually pickup does more to the road than a Honda Fit, and should pay more tax.
Most of the damage is done by class 8 trucks, which is why we tax the crap out of them by apportioned fees. (and the apportioned fees are the reason why they  get a break on the fuel tax)

But if they start taxing us by the mile, I expect it to be an addition to the fuel tax, not a replacement.
We can't have taxes going down or going away, that would be madness...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#22]
This will further drive up the demand for WFH.  Employees are already used to it because of COVID and a lot of companies have realized that they don't need a ton of office space, conference rooms, etc. available to have a productive workforce.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Makes me much happier about owning trucks that are Multi-fuel and being able to generate my own Bio-Diesel.
EDIT- They are also NOT prepared roadway "restricted" like the overwhelmingly majority of vehicles are these days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great, if they also did away with the fuel tax at the same time and taxed everybody the same per mile. They won’t do that so it won’t be equitable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Drive fewer miles, and trash the economy even harder.

VMT affects GDP
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#27]
They've been proposing this scheme in WA for while now, as a supposed option, paying either gas tax or by the mile. I did the math and 20MPG is the break-even point, so if you get less than 20MPG you're better off paying by the mile.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Another example of screwing middle rural America. When you live out in the country you have to drive farther to get stuff done
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't think for a second that the fuel tax would go away. This would just be a new tax in addition to existing taxes. The guy driving the truck still gets fucked at the pump and then again on the road.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

lol here's your .gov GPS recorder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh no....my odometer is broken

lol here's your .gov GPS recorder.
Which would log many miles hooked up to a 12 volt battery out in my garage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Are people honestly naive enough to think that he governments goal is to be fair? Their goal is to get more money from you while pushing an agenda.

They aren’t going to replace one tax with another. Only add one on top of the other.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m about ready to go down the sovereign citizen route.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder how they would go about collecting it? Folks pay taxes on fuel every time they pump gas so they don’t notice it.

Wait till people have to pay a years worth of taxes to get their tag renewed. And since a big percentage of people won’t be able to pay all at once we will have to pay their portion also.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Will completely screw people that have to commute longer distances for work.  Moving closer to work is not really a great option for reasons of higher housing costs, lack of housing, etc.  People who have to travel for work using their own vehicles get really screwed, pizza delivery, UPS and FedEx will add surcharges to deliveries driving up costs, trucking industry prices will increase.

With this one simple trick, along with their environmental policies and they can completely destroy what's left of the economy.  Small biz and restaurants, forget driving to them and paying additional fees for just driving their.

These people are completely economic incompetent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Will completely screw people that have to commute longer distances for work.  Moving closer to work is not really a great option for reasons of higher housing costs, lack of housing, etc.  People who have to travel for work using their own vehicles get really screwed, pizza delivery, UPS and FedEx will add surcharges to deliveries driving up costs, trucking industry prices will increase.

With this one simple trick, along with their environmental policies and they can completely destroy what's left of the economy.  Small biz and restaurants, forget driving to them and paying additional fees for just driving their.

These people are completely economic incompetent.
View Quote
That's where you're wrong. They know exactly what they are doing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#36]
And no ones asking what Lt Pete has ever done in his life that qualifies him to even oversee these things.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:32:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

lol here’s your .gov GPS recorder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh no....my odometer is broken

I predict there will be a black market demand to reprogram the odometer the greatly reduce the actual amount of miles driven.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Fuckers just gave a trillion dollars or more away in that stimulus bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is rather anger-inducing and frustrating. TL:DR - Pete Buttblug and the Xiden administration are looking into a "tax-per-mile" scheme since the requirement for fuel-efficient vehicles is causing Americans to burn less fuel, thereby paying less fuel taxes.

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/incoming-transportation-sec-buttigieg-suggests-taxing-americans-amount-miles

Incoming Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has suggested taxing Americans for the number of miles they drive, a policy he endorsed as a Democratic presidential candidate.

The Biden Administration is actively searching for ways to fund its ambitious $1 trillion infrastructure plan.

Fuckers just gave a trillion dollars or more away in that stimulus bill.

They didn't give away anything, they printed it, just like trillions before it.

Their taxation decoupled from revenue generation decades ago; this is just punitive.

Primarily they just want government trackers on vehicles... mostly so they're not dependent on Big Tech to give them that data, and so people can't just leave their phones at home.   They try to force trackers on people, though, and it'll be war, just like any of a dozen other bullshit schemes they're planning.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Good luck with that, I'll just get an old car with a analog speedo and disconnect it most of the time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is rather anger-inducing and frustrating. TL:DR - Pete Buttplug and the Xiden administration are looking into a "tax-per-mile" scheme since the requirement for fuel-efficient vehicles is causing Americans to burn less fuel, thereby paying less fuel taxes.

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/incoming-transportation-sec-buttigieg-suggests-taxing-americans-amount-miles

Incoming Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has suggested taxing Americans for the number of miles they drive, a policy he endorsed as a Democratic presidential candidate.

The Biden Administration is actively searching for ways to fund its ambitious $1 trillion infrastructure plan.
View Quote

View Quote

In VA they passed a "highway use fee" based on the mpg of your car.

EV pay an additional 88.20 a year.
My TDI (combined 35 but really gets 45-49) pays an extra 30.00 (I already pay the commercial diesel tax as well)
a Prius pays about 57.00 more a year LOL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll just give this my standard answer that I'm using for everything now:

"Well, its for the greater good".

It simultaneously drives liberals nuts when you repeat it to them and keeps your cover if they're thinking of reporting you to the neighborhood deprogramming center.

Trying pairing it with, "well we're all in this together".

What's going to be hard is saying it with a straight face when they're scrounging for rats for dinner.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lol they discouraging electric cars
View Quote

Incorrect.  They are discouraging travel.  Only party members need to travel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

If taxes were earmarked for a purpose, sure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Silly peasant, taxes don't get used for there intended purposes!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Government: If you think the problems we create are bad- just wait until you see our solutions!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anything electronic can be hacked.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Rural america sucks and needs to be killed off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How is that different than people who don't have kids but still have their property taxes pay for public schools. Even if someone doesn't drive much they still benefit from the roads. How else would your amazon packages get delivered?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm actually in favor of "tax per mile". The people using the roads should pay for the usage.

Now with that said: they will have to abandon the fuel tax at the pump bullshit. Of course this will never happen,

It will reflect on your shipping/ purchase charges. Double taxes!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top