BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The F-150 has an aluminum body. I don't think your going to have more rust issues than the competition. Just something to consider.
View Quote

My parents' last F150 had some significant rust issues, but the real problems weren't the body.

Years ago when I had my first Tacoma (two years old at the time) and they had their last F150 (one year old at the time), I was at their place in the spring and decided to try to spray the engine compartment out after a winter of salt exposure. My dad decided to do the same so he pulled his truck up next to mine, both hoods open. I swear every single screw, every hose clamp, every fitting was rusted bad under his hood. Mine still looked new. That did lead to some issues over the years.

He also had a tie rod break on that truck once (not saying it was due to rust, I don't know why it broke), along with some electrical and transmission issues that left him stranded at least twice. The tie rod broke at home fortunately for him. Ironically, he had a tie rod break on the F150 before that too. Now granted, those trucks got used as trucks, not grocery-getters.

Off topic, but about two weeks ago I was at a gas station pumping gas, heard a guy let out some expletives and then I heard him explain to someone trying to back out of their spot that he couldn't move his vehicle out of the way. I vaguely heard, "I'm sorry man, one wheel is going the wrong way". I went over to the guy, asked if he had a tie rod break. He said he didn't now. I checked, both wheels were turned inward. Told him what the problem was and then he found where the tie rod was snapped. Asked him to turn the steering wheel and I'd tell him which wheel he still had control over, then guided him into a parking spot. Anyway when I first heard that, after my dad's experiences I wondered; no, it wasn't an F150, but it was a Ford.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

They aren’t perfect, no vehicle is...but they’re better than my previous Ram, and 1 Ton Duramax.
Don’t let the “cam leak” scare you. It ain’t shit when comparing to any other “leak” on other vehicles out there. I bought my 2015 (front end is 2018) 5.7 with 30K and this “leak” was there, which is a seep, and it’s looked the same at 90K miles now and has done absolutely nothing. There are a few cases where oil dripped on the heat shield and Toyota fixes for free.
If you want fancy bells and whistles on the interior this isn’t the truck for you. If reliability is your #1, then yes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is all the bed space I have on the duramax 6.5’ bed and it works for me.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/63CA8FCF-3C6B-4908-9084-8CF5D1C61084_jpe-1792520.JPG
View Quote

Get the double cab with the 6.5ft bed.
The only reason I could see going with the CrewMax and 5.5ft bed is if you’re kids are 6ft+  tall or you haul 6ft+ tall people around in the back all the time for long periods. Or you prefer to haul couches in the cab vs the bed. CrewMax is just too enormous of a cab for a working truck. My business partner is 6’4” and he rides in the back of my DC and was surprised he fit fine at first. We just do short lunch trips, but doesn’t bother him at all, and he’s 57 yrs old. The DC looks like there isn’t a lot of room because of how they designed the back window/door, but there is plenty room back there for your average sized adult.

I’m 5’10”, my wife is 5’5”, and our kids are young and just under 5’ so maybe it just works for us because we aren’t a giant family.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good power. Shit mileage.  Reliable. Ugly. Shit mileage...
I love my eco diesel for mountain playing and highway. I hate that it's Ram and their service centers, but the best part about it is there's not a lot of Ram in it honestly. Better at least drive one for the money. Tundra is more American though from what I've researched.  
my eco pulls somewhat slow but it pulls easy and doesn't care if that makes sense . It's not all wound up, noisy and wandering back and forth, burning gas like it's going out of style.  Tough choices. When my ram is gone I'll never leave Toyota again, I had an 02 tundra that was the best truck I've ever had and it's still going with another owner.
View Quote

Our ‘16 Eco has been nothing but reliable a bit over 100k. With city driving the wife gets 22-24 last road trip we got 26-28. When I compared its economy and cost of ownership per mile to that of my previous hemi powered ram. It was well ahead calculating the cost of diesel vs gas in our AO, services, and the cost of the drive train when spec’ng the truck. It’s a Laramie and I’ll agree the typical ram complaints I’ve not noticed and I owned other Ram vintages before it which definitely were lack luster in some areas. I’ll drive anything and am currently in a Ford if someone thinks I’m somehow biased to the ram.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good input guys.  I'm pulling the trigger on a Tundra.  Soon as they get one in lol.
View Quote
There is a massive shortage in a microchip they need to make them.  That has basically shutdown the assembly line.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's horrible. I see posts on here about guys driving around in cars made decades ago and I'm astonished
View Quote

No local car wash?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:55:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Enjoy mine, 2019 SR5 TSS, just a appearance package, crew max 4x4.

I did replace the suspension with a Old Man Emu and adjustable shackles, added the TRD exhaust, TRD LED headlight assemblies and adaptor harness, drivers side grab handle why Toyota did away with that in 2014 is beyond me.

I average 15 and have gotten 19 on the open highway.

They do not have all the tech other brands have but I also did not want all the tech.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:01:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Nah. Tacoma
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nah. Tacoma
View Quote

I’m guessing a 2020’er with 3K+ posts made it that far in such a short amount of time, because you don’t fucking read.

Here, let me help you.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait until August/September, the new engine/drivetrain should be arriving then. The engine is tried and tested (twin turbo v6 from lexus), but I don't know what transmission they're mating it to.

I might be a first-gen adopter, if I can move some money.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:27:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Just traded mine a couple months ago..      I bought it for towing a camper,  which we used once in the last 4 years and is also getting sold    Towed the camper with ease,     It was fun to drive,  went like hell, but gas was a killer.       I didn't get hurt at all on the trade, even after getting side swiped and having almost $16k in damage.        

Most of the mileage I put on it was trips out to IL to visit family,    I still tow a bass boat and occasionally a car trailer.      The Colorado does that just fine and gets a little better fuel milage.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
The MPG is the only reason for not looking into a Tundra.
My Titan has been rock solid but from what I read they still have the issue @ 60 mph they have had since their 05 was released.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I had zero problems with mine other than shit mileage and outdated interior. I only got rid of it for something with more payload/towing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
What does it matter at this point? I say go for it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's horrible. I see posts on here about guys driving around in cars made decades ago and I'm astonished
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys and your road salt.  Gotta be murder on a vehicle.  

I drove my '99 Tahoe 4wd from '06 until the tranny died at 190k miles in (I think) '15. Sold it to a mechanic who did his own tranny replacement and he's still driving it to this day. Drives past my house every day to the parts store for his business. I bet that thing has 300k on it now and the wheels and every body panel are as it came from the factory in Nov of '98 (pretty sure that's when the label said).
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one, I love it... But, HELL NO.

My brother's 2020 f150 3.5 EB rapes my tundra in every way possible.

See what the 22 looks like before you buy.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Wait one year, there is a major redesign coming
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#18]
My only complaint is the obvious one. After 25k miles on my 2019 it's averaging 12.7mpg. Probably gets around 8mpg when towing. The 5.7 with the 4.30 gears allows me to pull anything I personally need to and it does it with ease. It'll drag my 21ft boat all around east Texas with no problems, but it gets thirsty doing it.

If you are not worried about fuel efficiency then you won't be disappointed. It's got plenty of power.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's why many of us are considering buying this year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:32:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its why I bought mine last July.

I traded my '18 Tacoma because I couldn't stand driving it. The 2016 "redesign" included the gutless 3.5 engine that replaced a troublefree 4.0.

We are thinking about trading wifes 2016 4runner on another new one before Toyota fucks that up too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I just went through this and purchased a 2021 tundra and I love it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Y'all might want to consider the ramifications of Xiden's war on the oil industry before you buy a truck which will put you in the poor house just to feed it.
View Quote

Glad I bought my Ranger last year for this reason. I’ve been getting 22-25 MPG and tows up to 7500lbs which is far more than I’ll ever need to use it for. I’m 6’1” and very comfortable in the drivers seat as well as the back seats. It’s given me zero issues in a little over a year and no regrets at all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought my 2020 in July and have 9500mi on it sofar.
Best truck Ive ever owned.
Averaging around 14mpg with the 3" lift and 35" tires.

For those that cant afford to absorb fluctuating gas prices... go buy a fucking Prius. This thread isnt for you.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/7187/20201129_215647_resized_jpg-1792544.JPG
View Quote

That is one fine Truck.  I'm torn between the Black and White.  The maintenance on keeping a black vehicle looking clean in the roads around rural Louisiana keeps me going back to silver and white.

I'm still driving a 2006 4x4 Crew.  Absolutely love the thing, has about 160k miles on it now and still drives like new but leaks a little oil around the valve cover on the left side.  Only complaint I have with it is no backup camera and the CD player don't work anymore. As long as I can hear some Charley Pride or Merle on the FM, I'm good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Attachment Attached File

I don’t have anything to add that hasn’t already been said, so here’s a pic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That duramax has been very good to me, stuff is bound to start wearing out soon.   Great time to sell it, lousy time to buy a new truck.  There is ONE tundra at my only dealer now.

Just don’t need or want another 3/4T truck now.
View Quote

There is no reason to replace your Duramax. You are just trying to justify buying something new. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but don’t bullshit yourself
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There is no reason to replace your Duramax. You are just trying to justify buying something new. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but don’t bullshit yourself
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That duramax has been very good to me, stuff is bound to start wearing out soon.   Great time to sell it, lousy time to buy a new truck.  There is ONE tundra at my only dealer now.

Just don’t need or want another 3/4T truck now.

He’s also lying to himself (and us) about fitting into a Tacoma. I’m 6’5” too and have fit in my 2015 Tacoma every day for the past six years  

Maybe he’s a disgusting fat fuck
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#28]
F-150 5.0 or GTFO.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I bought a new 2017 F150 that was a colossal piece of shit.  Oil leak, trans overheating, and timing chain and cam phasers replaced in the first 7700 miles.  Traded it.  Almost 3 years with the tundra, And it has been flawless.  Stock tires and a light foot will get you 19-20 mpg, 35’s not so much. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like it meets your requirements. I have one, they are behind the new trucks with interior and electronics but they are reliable. I kind of like the old school interior, I don't need all those dash gadgets. Something to consider, my dad was about your age when he went from a Tundra to a highlander. He loves it and its easier to get in and out, easier to park but still really good in the snow. Great riding car.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

Bombproof, but I average 11.5 mpg.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I love my Tundra. Love it, it’s been rock solid and ultra dependable.

But I bought it in 14, and by today’s standards it’s outdated. If you’re cool with that, then go for it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#33]
gross
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He’s also lying to himself (and us) about fitting into a Tacoma. I’m 6’5” too and have fit in my 2015 Tacoma every day for the past six years  

Maybe he’s a disgusting fat fuck
View Quote

Fatty, lol.

Attachment Attached File

Don’t want a taco, afraid I might end up like you.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Just traded the 4Runner in on one.
86'd the Bronco idea
Haven't had a half ton in 40 yrs though but looking forward to dressing up a Tundra for a hobby.
De-chroming,tires,topper,new exhaust maybe headers definitely a topper maybe a new winch...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Is that for sure? It's been coming a while. The V8 won't be available anymore at all?

My '18 is still low miles, but I've considered trading for the last year of the V8 when it happens. That said if it's this year I probably can't swing it.
View Quote

Yeah it's for sure no more V8 after this year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Do they have a trim level that is crew cab & front bench?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a 2019 trd sport Tundra.Very happy with the truck.My pickup runs 16-17 mpg, best
Tank 18 . On the exact same trip, same speed  the tundra got better  gas mileage  then a 2016 5.0 f150 driven by a coworker.
13.7 vs.16.
Love the looks and features on the new Ram, but reliability  is questionable, and resale is putrid.
Everyone here has a f150, and they look so blah,
The new Silverado looks like an angry Asian,  but man  that 6.2 is bad ass.
Drive them all, do some homework,  and see what is important  to you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Sure, if you like the current configuration I would get one when they announce the next gen for 2022, might get a nice deal
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And I thought about that.   Every Ford I have owned has had rust issues.   That's the only brand I've had problems with rusting.

Plus I'm tired of supporting the UAW.  
View Quote
I have had the same experience with all my Rams.

All the F150's are aluminum body's now
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I have had my 2015 for about a year. It's a nice truck, great power, ride is decent, leather seats are decent.  It's not a Ford as far as comfort goes that is for sure.

But is it a solid truck and it does truck things.

The only problem with Tundras are that they have not changed, my 2015 is almost exactly the same as a 2021... and since they have crazy reliabilty why would you by a new one?  Who cares about 50k miles on an indestructible truck.

I bought mine with 35k miles on for $22K last spring.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is one fine Truck.  I'm torn between the Black and White.  The maintenance on keeping a black vehicle looking clean in the roads around rural Louisiana keeps me going back to silver and white.

I'm still driving a 2006 4x4 Crew.  Absolutely love the thing, has about 160k miles on it now and still drives like new but leaks a little oil around the valve cover on the left side.  Only complaint I have with it is no backup camera and the CD player don't work anymore. As long as I can hear some Charley Pride or Merle on the FM, I'm good.
View Quote

Silver always looks clean... but... when I saw the black leather interior combined with the black exterior, I was sold. The rear seat area is huge too.

Its not horrible to keep clean.

It still fits under the 7ft garage door opening and still fits through the car wash.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Any you girls complaining about MPG I would gladly swap milage numbers from you, my 6.2 14 Raptor does 14 on its best day, flat highway 55 and 150 mph tail wind
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m dealing with the wife’s Ford Explorer puking oil in the driveway,
So I’m not real happy with the brand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#45]
No

Everything on tundras is outdated
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I will go against arfcom trend and recommend you look at the 2021 Titan yup I said it Nissan.

I recently went from a 2018 P4X to a 21.

The '18 had no issues but I wanted the new technology in the 21 plus the 9 speed transmission.

The did some refreshing inside and out and I think they did a damn good job.

Plus the 5yr / 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty is pretty damn good.

I suggest at the minimum take the new one for a ride.

400hp and can pull low 20s on a interstate run.

Also a rear locker on the p4x.

A few pics of the new one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36418/Screenshot_20210123-000853_Gallery_jpg-1792512.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36418/Screenshot_20210123-000656_Gallery_jpg-1792513.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36418/Screenshot_20210123-000813_Gallery_jpg-1792514.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36418/Screenshot_20210123-000747_Gallery_jpg-1792515.JPG
View Quote

hahahah Prayers Sent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
F-150 5.0 or GTFO.
View Quote

Just bought a 2020 of this. My cock is huge now it's amazing, both length and girth.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Love my 2018 Tundra. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

https://i.imgur.com/ZWDfAtm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/q5a5fqV.jpg
View Quote

I have that exact same vehicle, including color.  In 2019.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There is a massive shortage in a microchip they need to make them.  That has basically shutdown the assembly line.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good input guys.  I'm pulling the trigger on a Tundra.  Soon as they get one in lol.

That must explain the delay on the ‘21 TRD OFFROAD 4X4 Crewmax Tundra I have on order. Ordered it last Oct and last I heard it should be here middle of Feb to beginning of March.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Still driving my '07 SR5 TRD 5.7L with 260k miles.  Had to replace the starter twice but that's it.  Live in the country and average 19 m/gal.  Blue book value still $9-$10k (was offered $7k for trade-in last summer).

Will likely get a '22 when they come out.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top