Oh man, that would suck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not a can of expanding foam

Oh man, that would suck.

MOre than having a tampon shoved into the hole?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All of you guys need to take a "Stop the Bleed" class.

JFC
View Quote

Why would anyone lose 2 hours of their life to that class when they could lose 2 hours a day here wasting their lives on GD?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All of you guys need to take a "Stop the Bleed" class.

JFC
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) - Jack's Booboo Scene (12/12) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:38:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Sealing wounds with a road flare is next level shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Username and avatar is appropriate.
View Quote
Together, they add up to....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
That's what packing gauze is for.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Watching to many movies
View Quote

Hollywood strikes again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Road flares are for hemorrhoid's.  Bad hemorrhoids require a 30 minute flare.
View Quote

Or a shotgun shell.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hammermill thread
View Quote

Not even Hammermill was that !
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I carry a mig welder in a back pack for gaping wounds
View Quote

Stitch welds?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FPNI
View Quote

And the  second one. Good God OP.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#14]
OP...I think I hear your Mommy calling you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol paging NorCal Leo
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why not a can of expanding foam
View Quote

or gun powder from a bullet like I saw in a movie once
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To cauterize it?

Cauterizing bleeds is typically something done on a delicate level in an operating room via a cautery.

Sticking a lit flare into a wound is an extremely bad idea. You're going to cause MASSIVE tissue damage from burns and it's unlikely it'll do much to stop bleeds. (+ the obvious risk of simply setting the patient on fire)

I'm not 100% sure about infection/toxicity risk but I do think a lit flare emits various toxic substances that you're jamming into the wound, + the burned area will be susceptible to infection, so even if you do stop the bleeding somehow recovery is going to be a bitch.

Now in terms of treating an artery bleed where a tourniquet can't reach we have a few options already.

Hemostatic powder such as quikclot, hemostatic gauze, etc.

https://www.medgadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Xstat.jpg

Revmed or whatever is working on a big syringe that squeezes out a bunch of gauze sponges impregnated with hemostatic powder that rapidly expand in the wound channel to stop bleeding.

I've never had to use hemostatic substances so I don't know how well they actually work but I have heard they supposedly are effective even in cases of arterial bleeding.

EDIT: I did some googling. Emergency cauterization actually can be done, but it usually requires a metal instrument heated until it's extremely hot to sterilize it. It's very painful and is the last resort if medical care isn't available, you've tried elevation and compression (Even some arterial bleeds can be stopped via pressure. Not all of them, but some of them.) already, and the patient has already lost a significant amount of blood to the point their vital signs are deteriorating. There will be significant tissue damage and a high risk of infection due to the burns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why hasn't flares or other devices been invented to seal gun shot wounds or stab wounds where a tourniquet can't reach ?

Sticking a flare in a gushing blood flow knife stab wound sounds like it would work to seal the artery no?
To cauterize it?

Cauterizing bleeds is typically something done on a delicate level in an operating room via a cautery.

Sticking a lit flare into a wound is an extremely bad idea. You're going to cause MASSIVE tissue damage from burns and it's unlikely it'll do much to stop bleeds. (+ the obvious risk of simply setting the patient on fire)

I'm not 100% sure about infection/toxicity risk but I do think a lit flare emits various toxic substances that you're jamming into the wound, + the burned area will be susceptible to infection, so even if you do stop the bleeding somehow recovery is going to be a bitch.

Now in terms of treating an artery bleed where a tourniquet can't reach we have a few options already.

Revmed or whatever is working on a big syringe that squeezes out a bunch of gauze sponges impregnated with hemostatic powder that rapidly expand in the wound channel to stop bleeding.

I've never had to use hemostatic substances so I don't know how well they actually work but I have heard they supposedly are effective even in cases of arterial bleeding.

EDIT: I did some googling. Emergency cauterization actually can be done, but it usually requires a metal instrument heated until it's extremely hot to sterilize it. It's very painful and is the last resort if medical care isn't available, you've tried elevation and compression (Even some arterial bleeds can be stopped via pressure. Not all of them, but some of them.) already, and the patient has already lost a significant amount of blood to the point their vital signs are deteriorating. There will be significant tissue damage and a high risk of infection due to the burns.

Funny story about that syringe.
My hospital is one of the hospitals that the military uses for training the battlefield medics/surgeons. They figure Detroit is just as bad as Iraq (it really is)

Well somehow one of those ended up used on a stab wound.don’t remember if it was tried prehospital or if someone had one to try in the ER. Wanna say it was near the liver (RUQ of the abdomen)
Trauma surgeon came back down a few hours later

“What the ever loving fuck was that!?!?!!?”
“This new whizbang blood clotting device”
“I was finding those little things for a solid hour.  Next time just pack it with regular gauze, fuck that.”
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Road flares are for hemorrhoid's.  Bad hemorrhoids require a 30 minute flare.
View Quote

They have other uses, if you’re brave enough
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#19]
As a EMT, I highly recommend against this practice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I used a cigar once instead of going to get stitches so I could keep partying
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why hasn't flares or other devices been invented to seal gun shot wounds or stab wounds where a tourniquet can't reach ?

Sticking a flare in a gushing blood flow knife stab wound sounds like it would work to seal the artery no?
View Quote

Ok Rambo....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To cauterize it?

View Quote

I remember late 2000s that was being tested, where can you buy it?

No idea why everyone is making fun of me..
I'm talking about last ditch, middle of desert no hospitals bleeding out type situation. No quick clot, just a fire or flare from a vehicle road kit. Would it work?

Sure lots of damage but would it seal the wound and get someone to the hospital still alive rather than spilling all blood out in 60 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Well done troll thread, OP.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm talking about last ditch, middle of desert no hospitals bleeding out type situation. No quick clot, just a fire or flare from a vehicle road kit. Would it work?
View Quote

You could put some gauze dressings in your vehicle road kit.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#27]
LoL.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#28]
This is even dumber than my tampon thread.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Not sure if retarded or failed humor?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Anybody know how old this kid is?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Stay the away from me.  I would rather exsanguinate from failed tourniquets than die of septic shock caused by some asshat attempting to cauterize an artery with a flare.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anybody know how old this kid is?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#34]
No shit? How sad.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sure lots of damage but would it seal the wound and get someone to the hospital still alive rather than spilling all blood out in 60 seconds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To cauterize it?

Attachment Attached File

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top