Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure of many others, but Rob Ray was pretty awesome to watch.

When espn wasn't commie, maybe?
ESPN SportsCenter - Security Issues

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not Claude Lemieux?  

I'd probably give my vote to Probert as well.  McSorley (from his days protecting Gretzky), Domi, and maybe even Chris Nilan (more of a general fighter than enforcer) get "honorable" mentions.  

Edit - Someone @ me when there is a thread started on All time Greatest Power Forward.  
View Quote

@JustinOK34

GREAT thought. Man there’s a lot of options there. If his career wasn’t cut so short I’d go Cam Neely but I’m going full homer: Brendan Shanahan. Fight us.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Still is

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude Mac was my boy in the early days. He stepped in to take the load off Probie and fought guys WAY above his class and did fairly decent against them. I have a ton of his fights on DVD somewhere, he was nuts back in the day.

Still is

Fair point!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
From the way back machine; Dave "The Hammer" Shultz.

View Quote

^This is the right answer. You also must be over 60 years old to remember seeing this guy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

He play for the flyers?  If so, I remember him and willie plett from the flames going at it.  Was there some guy named Quinn with the flyers as well?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Beat...

Dave " The Hammer " Schultz

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Definately not the toughest, best, but Sasha Lakovic in the IHL was the most entertaining enforcer I've ever seen. He didnt do much in the NHL, but had one newsworthy fight against a fan.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1st player that came to mind was Probert
View Quote

Same here.  I grew up in Michigan
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Doug Glatt
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@JustinOK34

GREAT thought. Man there’s a lot of options there. If his career wasn’t cut so short I’d go Cam Neely but I’m going full homer: Brendan Shanahan. Fight us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not Claude Lemieux?  

I'd probably give my vote to Probert as well.  McSorley (from his days protecting Gretzky), Domi, and maybe even Chris Nilan (more of a general fighter than enforcer) get "honorable" mentions.  

Edit - Someone @ me when there is a thread started on All time Greatest Power Forward.  

@JustinOK34

Cam Neely is definitely my top pick. He was a beast, and he could score.

Keith Tkachuk and Jarome Iginla are my honorable mentions.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
So many to choose from-
twister
rob ray
Semenko
stu grimson
Probert

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
twist was a big time juicer! easy to be a tough guy when your on cycle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. I think you mean Tony Twist.
Here's Bob Probert not wanting any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmTj0OpMh7U
Oh and Probert was clean and sober as a judge right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Darren McCarty was a unit.

Mark Messier and Brendan Shanahan too, both notable bc they went from just being straight hitters and developing into fantastic overall players.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
McSorley
View Quote
I'm gonna have to go with Marty.

The dude got an assault charge for his antics.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. I think you mean Tony Twist.
Here's Bob Probert not wanting any.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmTj0OpMh7U
probie was a coke head not a juicer!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
NHL coming down on fighting was a mistake.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#19]
No doubt about it... Dave Shultz.
Holmgren and Derek Sanderson were great too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
I think Probert is the top enforcer. Dave Shultz should be in the discussion as one of the best after Probert
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mark Messier and Brendan Shanahan too, both notable bc they went from just being straight hitters and developing into fantastic overall players.
View Quote

It was always a show when Shanny would drop the gloves! Man I miss the 90’s/00’s Wings.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Does Matthew Barnaby count? Not really an enforcer but he would fight anyone. Definitely the most entertaining.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Marty McSorley
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]
colorado avalanche detroit red wings rivalry claude lemieux darren mcarty

That time when Darren McCarty coldcocked Claude Lemieux’s punk ass for the dirty hit on Kris Draper was one of the greatest punches thrown in hockey history.

And then it descended into Peter Forsberg getting a whoopin, Brendan Shanahan beating Patrick Roy’s ass and Mike Vernon leaving the crease to get some.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#25]
The documentary "Ice Guardians" goes along with this post well.  Not sure if it is still on Netflix but worth a watch.

Also one of my all time favorite fight video is when George Laraque was mic'd up.  Beautiful audio.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was always a show when Shanny would drop the gloves! Man I miss the 90’s/00’s Wings.
View Quote

The Scotty Bowman 90’s/early 2k Wings were such a phenomenal team to watch. They had it all. Their skating passing and scoring were legendary, their goalies were great, and then they had a full stable of goons to put the hurt on guys if need be. And they weren’t reckless either. Scotty was like a mafia don.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
McSorley

That wasn’t enforcing though. He broke the code and completely destroyed his legacy.

(For what it’s worth Brashear broke it too by not obliging the fight, but that’s not as bad as a pussyass swing of the stick. You or I could do that, doesn’t make us enforcers.)
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those were amazing days to be a Wings fan. The local sports cable station has been showing Finals and playoff games from those days recently... it’s criminal how far the team has fallen since then!

I cautiously like this year’s team and am somewhat optimistic the end of this terrible streak is getting close to over... but they have to earn it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Sidney Crosby hands down!  He will fuck you up by beating you with his purse.

He even has a tough guy name.

I’m going with Tony Twist. More modern day, Ryan Reaves is a scary scary dude.  But I’d say there really aren’t enforcers now the way there was back in the day.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sidney Crosby hands down!
View Quote

Nut
Puncher
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Brian Lavender

I'm biased because I know the guy and drink beer with him.  One thing I know for sure is that Brian does not like Ds/commies, so that gets him points.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Darren Mccarty
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Attachment Attached File

If you haven't see them, the Goon an Goon 2 movies are great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455681/goon_jpg-1791401.JPG

If you haven't see them, the Goon an Goon 2 movies are great.
View Quote

Goon is my favorite hockey movie.

Sorely underrated in general
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Those were amazing days to be a Wings fan. The local sports cable station has been showing Finals and playoff games from those days recently... it’s criminal how far the team has fallen since then!

I cautiously like this year’s team and am somewhat optimistic the end of this terrible streak is getting close to over... but they have to earn it.
View Quote

Was an amazing time to be a fan. I LOVED those teams. I cannot tell you how many games as a teenager I watched live in "The Joe".

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINYQ4zYNzI

That time when Darren McCarty coldcocked Claude Lemieux’s punk ass for cheap shotting Kris Draper face first into the boards was one of the greatest punches thrown in hockey history.

And then it descended into Peter Forsberg getting a whoopin, Brendan Shanahan beating Patrick Roy’s ass and Mike Vernon leaving the crease to get some.
View Quote

Av's Fan.

I watched that game, figuring it was the last time before the playoffs that the red wings could get some payback on Lemieux.
And when it happened,,, Oh.Well. Lemieux had it coming.

And when the goalies,, any goalies square off,, JFC.
There should be a rule in hockey that goalies get ejected and suspended for ten games for putting people through the horror of them squaring off, all while looking like girls on the playground.

The rest of that red wings-Av's brawl was girl scout level stupidity, but it was the thing that coalesced the red wings for the playoffs.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#40]
McSorley, Shanahan, McCarty..... I’m seeing a pattern here in these names
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Tony Twist
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Av's Fan.

I watched that game, figuring it was the last time before the playoffs that the red wings could get some payback on Lemieux.

There should be a rule in hockey that goalies get ejected and suspended for ten games for putting people through the horror of them squaring off, all while looking like girls on the playground.

The rest of that red wings-Av's brawl was girl scout level stupidity, but it was the thing that coalesced the red wings for the playoffs.

Jay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aINYQ4zYNzI

That time when Darren McCarty coldcocked Claude Lemieux’s punk ass for cheap shotting Kris Draper face first into the boards was one of the greatest punches thrown in hockey history.

Av's Fan.

Jay

3/26/97, I still celebrate Avalanche Beatdown Day.

It truly was the element that coalesced the team. The Avs were a monkey on their backs that needed to be thrown off. The Wings actually tried sparking the beatdown earlier in the season in Denver but they didn’t want anything to do with it for some reason.

One of the funniest things from those great rivalry days was I watched a game between the Avs and some other team, like Calgary, in Denver and the Avs fans were chanting “Red Wings Suck”!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Probie is #1 in my book.

McSorley's stick swing... ugh

Plenty of others deserve to be considered.  Domi, Boogie, Brash, etc
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#44]
14 Minutes of Pissed Off Goalies
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread makes me miss 90s hockey. I know hockey was just as good before the 90s, but too young to have experienced it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As a Flyers fan I give the nod to Scott Stevens. Maybe not the greatest fighter, but the dude could lay the lumber.

Fuck Scott Stevens.
View Quote

Hack. The only difference between him and Ulf Samuelsson was that he had the C so people liked him.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This thread makes me miss 90s hockey. I know hockey was just as good before the 90s, but too young to have experienced it.
View Quote

90s had that time though where they dicked up the offsides rule so nobody could “tag up”. Those games were brutal. Combine that with the Trap system and some games were just horrible to watch.

The 80s style tag-up/run and gun style is more my style. It’s a good mix now though, that they semi-reinstituted a tag up rule. The flow is back, just not as much as the 80s. You could have 4 guys offside so long as they tagged up... probably a nightmare for the linesmen to track but oh well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

90s had that time though where they dicked up the offsides rule so nobody could “tag up”. Those games were brutal. Combine that with the Trap system and some games were just horrible to watch.

The 80s style tag-up/run and gun style is more my style. It’s a good mix now though, that they semi-reinstituted a tag up rule. The flow is back, just not as much as the 80s. You could have 4 guys offside so long as they tagged up... probably a nightmare for the linesmen to track but oh well.
View Quote

Agreed that the flow is good today. But the punishment just isn’t there any more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I had season tickets during Proberts heyday. It was awesome.

MaCarty was solid

Joey Kocur was the toughest, IMHO

Shanahan was not an enforcer but he could scrap with the best of them

Vladimir Konstantinov was as tough as anyone who ever skated
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Believe it or not, Bobby Orr in his earlier days.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top