Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but not on many. I typically pair the quality of the glass to the quality of the rifle. I have a few guns where the glass is about the cost of the gun. You can also get into the weeds on things if you include the scope mount in the cost of the gun or the optic? A $550 Spuhr mount can really move your poorly worded metric.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess thermal does count. I change my answer to yes.

pic thread

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/63975/CA2DAB03-FA02-454E-8E7C-8659E17C4B1A_jpe-1790817.JPG
View Quote

What thermal is this?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I was taught early that a quality gun should have double it's cost in optics sitting on top.

It's no surprise that my $400 handgun has $800 in optics (RMR + TLR VIR2)
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was taught early that a quality gun should have double it's cost in optics sitting on top.

It's no surprise that my $400 handgun has $800 in optics (RMR + TLR VIR2)
View Quote
So, those of us whose handguns cost wayyyyy more than the optic,  what do we do?  I mean there's no better red dot than the RMR and that's what I've got.  ( you chinesium fucks can fuck off with your gay options)

How bout you pair the optic to rifle/pistol based on what you want it to do and get the best optic you can attain/afford to achieve the goal.  Good magnified glass is expensive and I'd expect to pay twice what I have in an AR but the same does not necessarily apply to pistols.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What thermal is this?
View Quote
Super Hogster.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:18:10 AM EDT
[#6]
My ACOG, and my pistols with RMRs, yes. Everything else, no.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's a silly rule that absolutely does not apply in most situations. Your Colt 6920 does not need a 1500 dollar scope on it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So, those of us whose handguns cost wayyyyy more than the optic,  what do we do?  I mean there's no better red dot than the RMR and that's what I've got.  ( you chinesium fucks can fuck off with your gay options)

How bout you pair the optic to rifle/pistol based on what you want it to do and get the best optic you can attain/afford to achieve the goal.  Good magnified glass is expensive and I'd expect to pay twice what I have in an AR but the same does not necessarily apply to pistols.
View Quote

Obviously its a not steadfast rule if the best options for a handgun cost the same as most handguns. Until recently, it didn't apply to handguns at all.

I think it mostly means to not cheap out on the thing that you rely on to be perfect to hit your target. Cheap optics lose zero, or don't work when you want them to. So if you are going to put an optic on a gun, don't cheap out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Obviously its a not steadfast rule if the best options for a handgun cost the same as most handguns. Until recently, it didn't apply to handguns at all.

I think it mostly means to not cheap out on the thing that you rely on to be perfect to hit your target. Cheap optics lose zero, or don't work when you want them to. So if you are going to put an optic on a gun, don't cheap out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not  dig at you, my original post, but I agree, don't buy shit cheap optics.   Buy quality with regards of actual cost for your application.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
As you get older your eyes compensate less, so quality differences are easier to discerned, but also quality more needed.   Also as you get older you typically make more money, so easier to afford it.  Having said that, I still like to buy discontinued, therefore discounted, higher end optics if possible.  By being open to more brands and models increases you chances of a great deal.   I don't consider the price of the gun vs the price of the optic.  I get the gun I want, then decide on the optic I want for it.  It could go either way regarding the OP question
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well?
View Quote

It really depends on the gun and optic in question.

My thermal costs more than any of my rifles.
My PA microdot costs less than the rifle it is on.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top