Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

More to the point, can the mods contact all members and see who's missing?
View Quote

ARFCom roll call!  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe the store didn't have some kind of mechanism in place to prevent this. Any return over a certain amount should have required a managers approval.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The ones in Georgia don’t have anything like that......
View Quote

Kroger on Hwy 96 in Warner Robins, GA. does
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
When I worked AP I busted a lady that stole approximately $1 million from a Walmart store. But it took her 10 years. I was only at that store for a couple months before I dicovered it. She had been doing it so long, the "books" had adjusted so what she was doing appeared normal for that store on paper. She was also a service desk associate. Was taking between $200-500 a day in fraudulent returns.

To be honest, I stumbled across it on accident. I noticed a refund that seemed suspicious. Figured it was a customer that had picked the items up off the shelf and attempted to return them, which happened alot at that store. When I reviewed video to ID the customer.... there wasnt one. The associate handkeyed the merchandise into the register and pocketed the money.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Impressive.
View Quote

MOST impressive...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
His name was Tre Bilzerian.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
We’ve had a few people at my supermarket do that over the course of years and get quite a bit. An asst store manager got over 500k from fraudulent returns and only got caught because he refunded a $700 wedding cake that wasn’t ever ordered. Someone mentioned it to the bakery manager and an investigation began. As I recall, it was mainly to pay for his drug habit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#9]
The fake return scam is pretty common and I'm surprised that a chain store like that doesn't have any controls to prevent that.  20 years ago my local walmart had some high school kids working the service counter steal around $50,000 over the course of a year.  At a grocery store, any return over $50 should get the attention of the shift supervisor and review of the store manager.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Idiot

And what costs 87,000 at a grocery store?
View Quote

Maybe they had 9mm ammo?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol, how would no one notice that immediately?
View Quote

Gross incompetence.   Possibly an inside job.  This should have been obvious on the first daily cash out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Teenager did 1 mil in 2 weeks ? Very impressive, if he didn't get caught we would've seen politicking in his future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Assuming his status as a "teen" bought him some time while they made extra sure that they had all of the proof before calling the dastardly poleece
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I worked AP I busted a lady that stole approximately $1 million from a Walmart store. But it took her 10 years. I was only at that store for a couple months before I dicovered it. She had been doing it so long, the "books" had adjusted so what she was doing appeared normal for that store on paper. She was also a service desk associate. Was taking between $200-500 a day in fraudulent returns.

To be honest, I stumbled across it on accident. I noticed a refund that seemed suspicious. Figured it was a customer that had picked the items up off the shelf and attempted to return them, which happened alot at that store. When I reviewed video to ID the customer.... there wasnt one. The associate handkeyed the merchandise into the register and pocketed the money.
View Quote

Shit like this just makes we wonder how much of this kind of shit, at every level that doesn't get caught.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, that store manager was really watching that monthly P&L statement. His ass should be locked up too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Shit like this just makes we wonder how much of this kind of shit, at every level that doesn't get caught.
View Quote

Had a manager take a deposit one time. About $90,000..... he was scheduled to start his vacation the next day. When we realized the money was gone the next morning he was already on a plane to Thailand. He never came back. Apparently he had been planning it for awhile
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Am I missing something? He didn't steal any merchandise, he stole money via fraudulent returns.
View Quote

The merch is normally post return unless the MFG. wants it back is thrown out.
So there is there is double shrink fuckery.
We caught a kid 20+ years ago that racked up 275,000 in 2 weeks. His tell was him jamming a finger up his nose before he stole shit.  So we just watched him until he picked his nose.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A Gwinnett County teenager was arrested after authorities said he managed to steal nearly $1 million from the grocery store where he worked.

Tre Brown, 19, was taken into custody Jan. 14 after scamming the Kroger on Steve Reynolds Boulevard out of more than $980,000 over a two-week period, Gwinnett police spokesman Cpl. Collin Flynn said.

According to police, Brown created more than 40 returns for non-existent items in December and January. Those returns, which ranged in price from $75 to more than $87,000, were then placed on several credit cards, investigators said.

Police said Brown used the stolen money to buy two cars, clothes, guns and new shoes. Prior to his arrest, the teen reportedly totaled a Chevrolet Camaro that he bought, Flynn said.

https://www.ajc.com/news/teen-accused-of-stealing-nearly-1-million-from-gwinnett-kroger/7FV4QYI2FFGFXA5LTTXHZABBVQ/
View Quote

Maybe he should have bought an airplane ticket to a non-extradition treaty country instead?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:15:11 PM EDT
[#19]
What happened to the good ol days when guys just wanted to do a barrel roll?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
"Teen"
View Quote
Tre?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Had a manager take a deposit one time. About $90,000..... he was scheduled to start his vacation the next day. When we realized the money was gone the next morning he was already on a plane to Thailand. He never came back. Apparently he had been planning it for awhile
View Quote
How long will $90K last in Thailand?

I'll bet not as long as he thought.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:48:00 PM EDT
[#23]
1m over two weeks got to believe the entire shrinkage crew and several auditors were put on that right away.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:49:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Did Dominion recruiters get some calls in to him yet?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A Gwinnett County teenager was arrested after authorities said he managed to steal nearly $1 million from the grocery store where he worked.

Tre Brown, 19, was taken into custody Jan. 14 after scamming the Kroger on Steve Reynolds Boulevard out of more than $980,000 over a two-week period, Gwinnett police spokesman Cpl. Collin Flynn said.

According to police, Brown created more than 40 returns for non-existent items in December and January. Those returns, which ranged in price from $75 to more than $87,000, were then placed on several credit cards, investigators said.

Police said Brown used the stolen money to buy two cars, clothes, guns and new shoes. Prior to his arrest, the teen reportedly totaled a Chevrolet Camaro that he bought, Flynn said.

https://www.ajc.com/news/teen-accused-of-stealing-nearly-1-million-from-gwinnett-kroger/7FV4QYI2FFGFXA5LTTXHZABBVQ/
View Quote

Tre Brown
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess I am one of two(OP) who read the article.

"Police said Brown, who they believe worked at the fuel center, stole the money while an employee tasked with flagging fraudulent transactions was on vacation for two weeks."
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Damn!

I know it ain't right, but I gotta admit I'm impressed.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Qualified for a Biden administration position.
View Quote

Future Democrat Representative from Gwinett County.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#29]
87? SWEET!

He was an employee that worked at the fuel depot and processed the returns.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are going to do something that stupid that will obviously lead to getting caught, take your million and GTFO.  Disappear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Idiot

Some Kroger's have Fred Meijer's(sp) jewelry stores in them.

Kroger in Carrollton has the jewelry store, clothing, furniture, etc. just like the Fred Meyer stores out west.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I would think that even if the auditor was on vacation, losses that big in a short period of time would get the attention of a manager.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Some industries pay well for talent in upfront bonuses or “forgivable loans”

One guy I knew a dozen years ago jumped from one financial company to another and was given close to 7 figures.  

Wife was on his ass about to file for divorce. Meantime in less than a year he jumps to another company and gets over a mil up front.  

Cashes the check, cleans out all his accounts and bolts to Costa Rica.  

Last I heard living like a king.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bravado
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Some industries pay well for talent in upfront bonuses or “forgivable loans”

One guy I knew a dozen years ago jumped from one financial company to another and was given close to 7 figures.  

Wife was on his ass about to file for divorce. Meantime in less than a year he jumps to another company and gets over a mil up front.  

Cashes the check, cleans out all his accounts and bolts to Costa Rica.  

Last I heard living like a king.
View Quote

Jesus! How good do you have to be to get a million up front. Knew I should of stayed in school.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
87? SWEET!

He was an employee that worked at the fuel depot and processed the returns.
View Quote

Fuel returns?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
“Teen”
View Quote

Technically he is nine TEEN. And an adult.

Unless 19 has a new word.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Used to work at Home Depot and mostly when someone working there was suspected of some kind of flim flam they were not accused but left to run their scam for quite some time to build evidence against them.

Loss prevention was pretty slow and the bad guy would usually get more and more greedy because they thought they had a perfect system.

Worked with some real stupid folks
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“Teen”

He's quoting teen because teen not used a descriptor of age so much as it is being used as a euphemism for a certain race in these articles. It's the new racism and they don't even realize it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Should have kept transferring the balance and got the fuck out of dodge.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#41]
He should read Prof. William Black's book, The Best Way to Rob a Bank
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Police said Brown, who they believe worked at the fuel center, stole the money while an employee tasked with flagging fraudulent transactions was on vacation for two weeks."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems rather coincidental....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Catching him depends on the volume.

If you are doing $400,000 a day at 45% comp someone can easily get up to 50k of fraudulent returns in the system without raising a managers curiosity.

That’s why we pay people to look out for losses.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#44]
That LP person is probably looking for another job.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Idiot

Some Kroger's have Fred Meijer's(sp) jewelry stores in them.

Some of them do.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#47]
An acquaintance in HS ran a return scam in high school at a Walmart. It was in the thousands if he wasn't full of shit. He never got caught either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Cousin who got away with something between 3 and 5 million. He was an accountant at a largish
family owned company. He had the books so altered that they never really figured out an exact number.

When busted he had a 500/month apartment, a rusted out beater car and a few bucks in checking.

He did 2 years in a minimum security facility. He never talked and the company never found the cash....
He wasn't a dummy so the best guess is the money is buried or offshore somewhere. He claimed
he gambled it away....

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How long will $90K last in Thailand?

I'll bet not as long as he thought.
View Quote

That's a lot of lady boys.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This isn't a $100 return.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top