Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep an old Radio Shack handheld version in my car emergency kit.  Limited range but it still gives you a way communicate if cell phone service is down
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If you do get one OP.....breaker breaker good buddy doesn’t mean what it used too.....LOL.
Might want to rethink that choice of words when your breaking into a channel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I keep one for emergency, but honestly have no interest in struggling with AM @ 4 watts, when my Kenwood TM281 pushes 65 watts on FM/2m.

I also cannot have a CB on if my wife or kids are in the car.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Growing up in the 70's everyone had a CB and huge whip antenna.
View Quote

Tuned Midland and a K40 antenna. My screen name is (was) my CB handle. Someone in the van club came up with it and I stayed with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Didn't you hear? Only a terrorist would be using cb or ham radio
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#6]
When I see a CB antenna on a car, I always assume it's either a truck driver's old lady or a fag that likes to blow random truckers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I installed a Midland Micromobile FRS/GMRS in my Gladiator.  Going on my first club trip this weekend and hoping they are on FRS/GMRS and not CB.  Jeep Safari changed from mandatory CB to mandatory FRS this year I believe.  That should help push the market toward FRS/GMRS.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LOL, they have all been PLL controlled since about 76 or so.  OP, at the moment pretty useless at least compared to what they used to be on one hand.  On the other I see lots of questions lately.  A $5 garage sale radio and antenna will get you up and running, so no loss in trying it anyway.  I have a whole pile of sideband radios that have extra channels in them that I have bought over the last ten years or so just because they were cheap...  I dont think I have more than $20 in any of them and remember a time when they would have been $100+ if not $200.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
19Q1320...KHG0808...how the heck do I remember those call letters and not my grandkids name ?

They still use crystals ?

I know they added channels and lowered the wattage since my time.
LOL, they have all been PLL controlled since about 76 or so.  OP, at the moment pretty useless at least compared to what they used to be on one hand.  On the other I see lots of questions lately.  A $5 garage sale radio and antenna will get you up and running, so no loss in trying it anyway.  I have a whole pile of sideband radios that have extra channels in them that I have bought over the last ten years or so just because they were cheap...  I dont think I have more than $20 in any of them and remember a time when they would have been $100+ if not $200.
Yes, up until around 1976 the rigs were crystalled. The Midland 13-893 I mentioned earlier was crystalled but not for individual channels like the very old rigs. It synthesized the frequency through two banks of crystals in an additive fashion. When channels 24 through 40 were added on January 1, 1977, I was able to buy some higher frequency crystals and replaced the lower 10 or so channels with the some of the higher channels. It was definitely a violation of FCC rules and the channels were ever so slightly off frequency for SSB (I could have adjusted them if I had a frequency meter) but they did work. In 1977, my father bought a Sharp branded 40 channel CB and it was fully synthesized.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have two I got in the local area for cheap.  I haven't even fired them up yet.  I have them for comms in my old '72 Pinzgaur 712.  That's the plan, anyway.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/340899/Steyr_Daimler_Puch-Pinzgauer_712_mp958_p-1790068.JPG

View Quote

@ItWasntMe that is so weird. I went to Craigslist to look for CBs, and there is a listing for a '75 Pinzgaur 712.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a cheap $40 hand held one I use when going on trips with my local Jeep club.  They use CB's to chat.
View Quote

Same here for the same reason.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
19Q1320...KHG0808...how the heck do I remember those call letters and not my grandkids name ?

View Quote

KDX7938

Jay
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I still use mine when driving any real distance on the interstate.  It is just another way to get information, particularly if there is a weather issue or major accident.
View Quote

Or cops, and what mile marker they’re hiding at.

Very useful. The original Waze.

My buddy had a monster whip on his Jeep back in the day, and it was so fucking tall that if he went thru the toll booths it’d break all the fluorescent overhead bulbs.......the toll takers would flip out.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#13]
CB is fine for communicating up to ten or twelve miles. Just know what you are saying can be heard by anyone on that channel.
If you want to communicate in ways that are not so easy to be understood. Create some code words to use with the people you expect to be talking with.
For communicating up to a mile or so using hand held radios, I suggest the inexpensive FRS or GMRS radios.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I still enjoy mine.  Just dont be a mud duck, get an amp.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Growing up in the 70's everyone had a CB and huge whip antenna.
View Quote

Story Time:

In the mid-70's, a friend of mine, who into the CB craze, had a fairly nice VW bug with a full length whip on its roof.
He was a mechanic at a dealership in Middleburg Heights.

The dealership had most of its stock covered with a huge canopy, with open florescent tube lighting under, but it was only about 10 feet tall.
When he would get to work, he'd bend the whip over to get it out of the way.

One day, things came to a head, and he quit, or was fired, or both, I don't recall.
A couple of mornings later, when the dealership people arrived for work, they discovered all the florescent tubes broken.

Afterwards, he told me, he had heard about the damage from his friends at the dealership
He never officially said he did it, but it was pretty clear, he had.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I might have to dig mine out of the garage.  Wouldnt figure there would be a single soul to listen to here in town.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#17]
It's mandatory for dump trucks, log trucks and lowboys, especially on narrow windy roads.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
An old buddy had a cb in his truck which included a PA speaker outside of the cab.
Like clockwork, as he would pass by any heifer taking a walk:
“You best start running, cause walking ain’t cuttin it”.
The pissed off scowls were hilarious.
View Quote

Lol, reminds me a friend here. When we were younger he said something along those lines to fatty walking on the sidewalk. She threw a can of Pepsi at his truck, it landed in his bed and sprayed all over. Without missing a beat he gets back on and tells her he’s proud of her, she just made her first positive move to better health. ??????????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one in my jeep.  They can be fun and useful if running with a group that has them.
"Hey guys, Benny's mired hub deep, in devil's hole"

ETA: I guess all of us could dump our CBs and buy FRS.  On when we get one FNG, he can buy a cheap hand held CB.
Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Just sold mine a few weeks back now I’m on GMRS for my 4x4. Way better
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well here's what got me to thinking about a cb.
When things open up more the wife and I want to drive south hang a right headed west out of georgia and go maybe as far as texas.
Have done all the northern part of the country and SE part so it's time for the SW part. Maybe next year at the latest.
Need to see this beautiful part of the country.
View Quote

CB isn’t really practical for that. Too much noise to constantly filter through. If you’re running your squelch at levels FRS HTs can reach you might as well use those.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top