Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The things that I enjoy receiving aren’t often the same as those other women fawn over. I like things that are useful or helpful around the homestead, but not a lot of folks homestead anymore.

Figure out the little things your wife enjoys and capitalize on those. Maybe it’s cutesy earrings that can be had for $5/pair. Maybe it’s nail polish. Maybe it’s a specific kind of candy. Maybe it’s fluffy socks. Maybe it’s something I can’t even imagine, but is something that makes her smile. One of the things I keep in my nightstand and look over frequently is a list my husband wrote out of things he loves about me. It cost him nothing, and it fills me with love and joy every time I read it.
View Quote

I'm glad you wrote this. Folks need to understand that different people speak different "love languages." For you, it is "Words of Affirmation." For the wife who likes the thoughtful presents, it's "Receiving Gifts." The other love languages are "Acts of Service" (like doing the dishes unexpectedly), "Quality Time," and "Physical Touch."
Find out which love language your spouse speaks, then do things in that category. There isn't much benefit in doing the dishes for someone who really wants quality time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I plan on doing a boudoir shoot for her and having the pictures of me put in a book for her.
View Quote

Be sure to wear your laciest thong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]
if you date a girl uglier than you - you really dont have to do much to keep her around!

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My wife keeps hers. When the stem dies, cut it off. In a few weeks another will sprout and bloom. We had three or four at one time, each in a different stage of growth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just about every decent grocery store with a floral department will have a few potted orchids. They look intimidating, but they are stupid easy to take care of. Put it in your bathroom on the sink next to where you brush your teeth, put a dixie cup of water in the pot once a week, and it will bloom 4 to 6 weeks at a minimum. When the bloom dies, throw it away...

My wife keeps hers. When the stem dies, cut it off. In a few weeks another will sprout and bloom. We had three or four at one time, each in a different stage of growth.

My wife has one I got her years ago. It's bloomed four or five times now. She waters it by putting three ice cubes in the pot every Wednesday, seems to work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I REALLY need to start doing that.  IN for ideas because I am terrible at this kind of stuff.

View Quote
Instead of buying her flowers for Mother's Day, buy her live rose bushes. Dig holes on a hot day. Get really filthy. Use manure. Smell bad. Sweat a lot. Every time she sees them blooming, and sees hummingbirds and butterflies circling around them, or smells them when she walks outside, she'll remember how hard you worked to make sure she had that perfect little moment.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe someting a little spicy.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I buy mine a new pair of panties about once a month.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes.

Its often things like letting me sleep in while she keeps the kids occupied since its rare for me to sleep more than 6 hours a night, or baking something special in the kitchen, back scratches, head rubs etc.

The important thing is neither of us expects this from the other.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question to all the guys here that give little gifts. Does your wife reciprocate? Are you getting gifts close to or as often and you give them?

Yes.

Its often things like letting me sleep in while she keeps the kids occupied since its rare for me to sleep more than 6 hours a night, or baking something special in the kitchen, back scratches, head rubs etc.

That, exactly that.

If you start tracking and making mental notes of who gets what or more like an 8 year old at Christmas then you might want to reassess the integrity of your relationship.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes.

View Quote

I get that, and believe that. I'm glad your wife values you as you value her.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leave a random road sock under her pillow every once in awhile. The crunchier the better.
View Quote

You could attach a note that says "Was thinking of you".

Classy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Five languages of love.

Read this.  Utilize it.  Book is 208 pages but subject could be covered in five pages.  

It was dead on for my wife & I.  I tried to show my love by doing "my language" towards her.  

She likes gifts, any gifts, at any price.  $1 item from Dollar tree shows her that I was thinking about her and care about her.  Hokey but, again, dead on for us.  

Gifts may not be the best way to please your wife.

Edit:  I found the condensed version.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Check her Amazon wish list
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Serious question to all the guys here that give little gifts. Does your wife reciprocate? Are you getting gifts close to or as often and you give them?
View Quote

My husband gets stuff about as often as he gives stuff, but it’s not a quid pro quo thing. We enjoy treating each other. No keeping score.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:54:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I give no fucks about gifts, my wife can never buy me another thing ever and I won't care.  I buy/do little things for my wife because I am very appreciative of all the things she does for our family.   I am gone all the time for my job and she keeps the house running.  All I actually have to do is just go to work and be there for when she needs someone to talk to.

I don't have to worry about bills, kids DR appointments, my DR appointments,  food. Nothing at all.  She handles everything but me going to work.  It's fucking fantastic.   If all I have to do is buy her little things or send her somewhere for a weekend I think I have a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I do that stuff. Not as often as op. Last gift I bought her was a Microtech UTX 85. She loves knives.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

By the most recent estimate, there are 400,000 thousand flowering plants.  Perhaps, send her something other than the same goddamn red roses, year after fucking year.

Many years ago, I terminated relationship because the guy gave me red roses.  I'd told him several times that I didn't like red roses, but he obviously didn't listen - bad quality in a man, very bad.  If he'd just bought another color roses - I very much like orange ones - it would have been fine.  
View Quote

People form their own traditions. We have Swedish meatballs every New Year's Eve. This doesn't mean that there aren't 400,000 other meals available, just that as a family we have history and positive associations with that particular meal at that particular time. I gave her other flower varieties throughout the year. She had never even hinted she didn't like the red roses.

Tough as it may be for you to accept, this was spontaneous thoughtless ingratitude from an otherwise great woman.  I do not avoid my wife, PlaneJane, but I do deny her my roses.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Buy her a pair of panties or a bra and then leave it somewhere random so it will be a surprise when she finds it. For instance, you can put it in the dirty laundry so she will find it when it comes out of the wash, or put it under the bed.
View Quote

I've  found that adjusting her car seat slightly and draping a part of it on the adjustment handle beneath the seat is always pleasant surprise.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I do the same thing OP. Dish towels, dish soap, laundry detergent, irons, ironing boards, brooms, mops, mayo for sandwiches, etc. It's the little things.
View Quote

No snow shovels?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I do funny stuff.

Googly eyes are typically my thing. Ever open a fridge and had everything stare back at you? Wake up in bed and see the ceiling looking down at you?

Last GF: SERIOUSLY?! HOW DID YOU GET THEM INSIDEEEEEEEE THE PACKAGE.

Me:
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

People form their own traditions. We have Swedish meatballs every New Year's Eve. This doesn't mean that there aren't 400,000 other meals available, just that as a family we have history and positive associations with that particular meal at that particular time. I gave her other flower varieties throughout the year. She had never even hinted she didn't like the red roses.

Tough as it may be for you to accept, this was spontaneous thoughtless ingratitude from an otherwise great woman.  I do not avoid my wife, PlaneJane, but I do deny her my roses.
View Quote

It isn’t tough for me to accept. Your post left the impression that she was a tiny bit snarky over your formulaic approach to that event and  you were still a tiny bit butthurt about it. If this isn’t the case, then all to the good, and I’m happy for you both.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#22]
hitachi magic wand.

extension cord.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My husband gets stuff about as often as he gives stuff, but it’s not a quid pro quo thing. We enjoy treating each other. No keeping score.
View Quote

I get that, and understand that it shouldn't be about quid pro quo. I'm not implying a tit for tat gift giving system. Just asking if it's going both ways, is each spouse showing the other how much they value them. By which ever love language they prefer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine loves this special body wash from a little gift shop down the road from my office.

It’s Vera Bradley brand and like Apple Champagne or something.

Usually come in a little gift set. She eats that stuff up when I bring it home.

I work in a little out door tourist town so there are all kinds of little shops selling homemade jewelry so once in awhile it’s a bracelet or earrings fill the bill.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine has a horse. I don't need to bother anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Every night when we're getting ready for bed I lay on her side of the bed to warm it up.

Every time she gets in bed she says something along the lines of how much she loves me, how much I'm a furnace, "this is why I married you", etc.

I'm an asshole most of the time, but I really try.
View Quote

Tell her it's gas heated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Buy her a pair of panties or a bra and then leave it somewhere random so it will be a surprise when she finds it. For instance, you can put it in the dirty laundry so she will find it when it comes out of the wash, or put it under the bed.
View Quote

Be sure to take it out of the package first...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If I buy my wife flowers unexpectedly she asks me what gun I just bought, or thinks it's out of guilt of having an affair.
View Quote

Sounds like my wife...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:57:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Give her a hall pass to spend a day with someone that likes to treat others like crap.  You know, the type of person that spends their time bitching and moaning about other people, and what they do, say, or suggest.  

The type of person that for whatever reason, has an opinion about others contrary to theirs, because somehow, they've failed miserably in their relationships with others.  

Perhaps then after spending 24 hours with someone like that, they will really appreciate all the little things you have been doing...right?

That said, that was not directed at you OP.  I think it's cool that you take the time to go and do little extra special things for your better half and want to improve on it.

Successful relationships take some work at times, but over time you learn what makes each other tick.
One thing you didn't share was what type of feedback your wife provides.

Each person is different, and some really appreciate the little things all the time, whereas others like the occasional big ticket item, and some can for the most part do without most any type of gift...but in the end, everyone likes to be appreciated, treated with respect, and at least recognized in some way for their contribution in a relationship.  

If you're doing those things and have good communication lines with your better half, then you'll be fine in the long run.  Lastly, good on you for taking the time to build your relationship with your better half.  Hope you both have a great life together.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#31]
You're thinking about this too hard.

Just put a bow on it, and helicopter it around the room a bit. That should get her knickers down.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:23:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There's a big difference between a spoiled woman and an appreciative one. I get my wife pretty much anything she asks for but that's because she appreciates it and doesn't expect it.

Still kinda weird when I get her something and she gets angry at me for spending money on her though. Still haven't figured that one out yet.
View Quote

NO..  but there is a big difference between being a man that a woman wants, and adores, verse being a pussy that needs to purchase affection and admiration... Good luck out doing yourself every valentines day bud...  Remember, when she met you, you were single, and were doing just fine with out her, and thats what attracted her to you in the first place... You start kissing her ass, and giving her everything she wants she will lose respect for you and she will be looking for a guy that wont and is secure with out her... Women want a project, someone they can change, not someone that gives them what they want... Why?? because a women is never happy....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:28:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I know it sounds a little low class but my wife enjoys scratch off lotto tickets so I sometimes grab one for her on my way home from work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:27:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Love notes and little sweet thoughtful things are awesome. If you chose well, she will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#35]
This is about little gifts. For a little gift you might get your wife some scouring pads so that she can clean pots and pans.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:58:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I do the same thing. I'll leave notes in odd places. She loves it.  I also do flowers, her favorite cookies and candy bars. I'll sometimes text her a song that reminds me of her. I'll also mail her cards which I find on etsy. Buy her a t-shirt I think she'll like. Just littles things that go a long way. She's worth it and I enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is about little gifts. For a little gift you might get your wife some scouring pads so that she can clean pots and pans.
View Quote

solid idea...I surprised my wife last year with a steam cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife lives off of verbal praise, love languages book is good to read.  Mine of course is sex, and do you think I get any, no I don't, but I give her high praise to keep the household running smoothly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Based on your avatar and username, I would have thought it would be a half-hour of you sitting on the side of the bed telling her how good it was going to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing my wife wants is me doing housework and work around the house

candy, wine, flowers, etc don't mean shit.

Her idea of foreplay is me cleaning the bathroom

Based on your avatar and username, I would have thought it would be a half-hour of you sitting on the side of the bed telling her how good it was going to be.

Huhh

I used to like your posts....used to.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The genius of this lies in what SIZE you buy them in...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The genius of this lies in what SIZE you buy them in...

I make sure to buy them in a size smaller than what she wears, that way I am subtly encouraging her to lose weight. I am showing that I care by encouraging her to be healthy.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top