Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a thought, it may have not been a dress issue at all.   You stated they were "given" tickets. It may be that their names did not match the names of the persons originally in possession of the tickets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just a thought, it may have not been a dress issue at all.   You stated they were "given" tickets. It may be that their names did not match the names of the persons originally in possession of the tickets.

Shhhhhh. Don't disturb this thread....
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:21:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I should also mention that all the boys were high school wrestlers, one a state qualifyer, one (mine) an all A student, Boy Scout and academic award winning Scholar Athelete who has a academic scholarship to a university next year.

No it's clear that the boys weren't wearing their tags on the outside saying they were really nice boys (see above) in disguise.  I guess they couldn't  see the tags through the hoodies?  

How hot was it?  My youngest finally figured out that a black hoody and walking home from school in 95 degree weather don't mix.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe we aren't getting the whole story.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have to agree with the majority on this one. If you want to be treated with respect, then one of the ways to accomplish that is to look respectable. I just don't get you people who DEMAND to be treated with respect UNTIL proof of otherwise. That's funny... cause I'll bet you're some of the first ones to use the phrase "my respect has to be EARNED". When people size you up, it's not a court of law. My opinion of someone begins to be formed from the moment I see them. That's just the fact. If you dress like Snoop Dog, then I personally am going to give you the same level of respect that I give a guy like Snoop. I fail to see the injustice in that. The fact is that though the cover of the book may not be indicative of the contents, IT USUALLY IS. And I don't have time to sit down with everyone I see/meet and find out what kind of person they REALLY are underneath their disguise. Neither does the Secret Service or whomever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the Cult Republican party.... where you will conform to every aspect of what is considered socially acceptable to those who contribute more money than you or you will be ejected.

It's much much worse the deeper into the party you go.

Keep in mind, this is the very mindset which a core segment of the Republican party uses as they consider various pieces of legislation. They most certainly want to control even the most seemingly mundane aspects of your life.

I am a sitting central committee member in a small farm town. I see it from the inside every day. We are fighting to take the party back from these whacko extremists.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#7]
BenDover...

Welcome to THE WORLD! Don't pretend that stuff only goes on in the Republican party. Hell, it doesn't even just go on in the two parties. If you're going to pretend to be some "outsider" like so many around here, then at least paint with a broad brush -- because the reality is that the entire world of politics is screwed-up -- not just the Republican party. I guess that's why I just can't take you supposed "REAL conserviative patriots" seriously anymore. You're as biased and myopic as everyone else...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sitting here in my corporate office, working as the Sr. VP of a multimillion dollar company over several million dollars worth of projects and 40 people. I am wearing rip stop fatigue shorts and a black T-shirt.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't forget the sport sandals.

Tell me about your real world.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
BenDover...

Welcome to THE WORLD! Don't pretend that stuff only goes on in the Republican party. Hell, it doesn't even just go on in the two parties. If you're going to pretend to be some "outsider" like so many around here, then at least paint with a broad brush -- because the reality is that the entire world of politics is screwed-up -- not just the Republican party. I guess that's why I just can't take you supposed "REAL conserviative patriots" seriously anymore. You're as biased and myopic as everyone else...

Lotsa lies on both sides.  I guess we just have to decide which lies we want to believe.

FactCheck.org  (Now someone is going to tell me that this site has a liberal bias I'm sure)
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Maybe your son should get a haircut and stop dressing like a thug.

I dont care who you are, if you dress like Snoop diggity dogg and it screams thug life, I take your word for it. If they hadnt asked you to leave, I would have said they were not doing their job.

1) Haircut

2) Pull pants up
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
You guys sound like a bunch of old men, "pull up your pants, and cut your hair.  Those kids and their bolt in their heads.  Turn down that noise, that music is the devil."  It craps like this kid getting the boot, that is causing some many people my age to turn to the democraps.  At least they pretend to accept us.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#12]

I'm surprised at you CavVet. Of all people to defend a stereotype, I would have never guessed it would be you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

PS, first one to accuse of "Keyboard Commando" looses

Its LOSE! L-O-S-E

LOOSE, v.t. loos. Gr.; Heb.

1. To untie or unbind; to free from any fastening.
2. To let loose, to free from restraint or confinement; to set at liberty
3. To break loose, to escape from confinement; to gain liberty by violence.
4. Wanton; unrestrained in behavior; dissolute; unchaste; as a loose man or woman.
5. Disengaged; free from obligation; with from or of.
6. Unengaged; not attached or enslaved.
7. Not crowded; not close or compact.
8. Not tight or close; as a loose garment.
9. Unbound; untied; unsewed; not fastened or confined; as the loose sheets of a book.

Aerospace Guru?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no problem with them getting tossed. I also have no problem with them not voting for Bush. If Bush doesn't want people who dress like that voting him, its his business.

But you have to expect that if you toss  people dressed like that they won't vote for you. And its crap that Bush didn't know, its a Secret Service decision. Bush makes the rules, the others follow them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#15]
When I met george dubya first thing he asked me while shaking my hand was if I was a registered voter
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Notice to all the people who said this kid dresses like a thug

unkept shaggy hairstyles and "hoodies"

That is just the suburban white boy look, they are far from threatening and most of them think bands like Simple Plan and Blink 182 are badass punk rock. (No disrespect to the bands, but they ain't no Iggy Pop)

blink-182 ain't badass?  Shit, there goes my whole rep...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PS, first one to accuse of "Keyboard Commando" looses

Its LOSE! L-O-S-E

LOOSE, v.t. loos. Gr.; Heb.

1. To untie or unbind; to free from any fastening.
2. To let loose, to free from restraint or confinement; to set at liberty
3. To break loose, to escape from confinement; to gain liberty by violence.
4. Wanton; unrestrained in behavior; dissolute; unchaste; as a loose man or woman.
5. Disengaged; free from obligation; with from or of.
6. Unengaged; not attached or enslaved.
7. Not crowded; not close or compact.
8. Not tight or close; as a loose garment.
9. Unbound; untied; unsewed; not fastened or confined; as the loose sheets of a book.

Aerospace Guru?

Yeah, aerospace guru.  Engineer by training, lousey speller by law
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#18]
If your wardrobe is the criteria that GWB is setting as a standard for votes from whom he will accept, then you better start brushing up on saying, "President Kerry".
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont care who you are, if you dress like Snoop diggity dogg and it screams thug life, I take your word for it. If they hadnt asked you to leave, I would have said they were not doing their job.

1) Haircut

2) Pull pants up

Bravo, CV.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Neatly groomed members of society.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
So I guess all neatly groomed people are Nazis, eh? So much for decrying stereotypes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm surprised at you CavVet. Of all people to defend a stereotype, I would have never guessed it would be you.

Stereotypes are based in repeat occurances. Muslim Extremeists are the ones that keep attacking us. Black guys do rob people at ATM's. White guys do kill their families. Are ME's the only ones? NO, McVeigh. Are Black & White guys the only ones, hell no. Are those guys the majority, yes. Over & over & over again.

2 sides to this tale. One is a secure area side responsible for not only security of POTUS but to limit hecklers. The other is knowing that pants around your knees and hooded sweat is the clothing of thug life. Thats what thugs wear and even the wearers know it, while screaming Im not a thug.

BTW, When I go to arfcom shoots, I wear jeans, t shirt and ballcap. When I go to church I wear a suit (and I hate ties).

Would you wear a bikini to a baby christening in church?

Would you wear a parka to a toga party?

Would you wear thug clothes to court? Maybe, and if you do, do not be surprised when found guilty.

First impressions are lasting impressions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LMAO--you don't know him then.  He is just to the right of Atila the Hun.  When he gets old he will be the Republican Precinct Committeeman who chases all the neighborhood kids off of his yard while swinging his rake at them--"Get off my yard, you little bastards!"  

DAMMIT BK1!!! I just spit my cinimon life cearel all over my computer.

Just got the mental image of an old crusty guy with a rake, chasing the kids and jerkin away with that rake
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#25]
No, not all people who are neatly groomed.

People who demand that you conform to their standard of personal appearance to garner acceptance to their limited, myopic view of reality.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Whether you wear urban clothing styles or you wear tuxedos, the POTUS is YOUR representative and in YOUR employee. That's why it's called representative and government SERVICE.

He still needs your vote. Kicking young people out and choosing to not even allow their presence to a political function, likely just created a couple of new Democrats in the wake of this typical GOP arrogance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#28]
It's there an internet rule that says: "The first person to post Nazi pics loses the argument"???

If not, there should be.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Good old ARFcom.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Fans of profiling should be standing on their feet and cheering or is hypocrisy the word of the day again?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
He still needs your vote. Kicking young people out and choosing to not even allow their presence to a political function, likely just created a couple of new Democrats in the wake of this typical GOP arrogance.

If this created a couple of New Democrats, they were already pro choice, anti gun, pro rainbow flag, anti war, pro kerry anyway.

If not, they will be back. Hopefully next time they will dress with a little more discretion should they be afforded the same opportunity.

BTW Ben, your sandal wearin ass would be oh so comfy in Seattle. They wear them to 5 star resturants and wedding. I have come to expect this from liberals.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I of course, am debating what to do about it. Should I contact the Michigan republican party and complain, contact the Secret Service and complain (yeah, right), contact the President's office and complain, right a letter to the local newspaper, not so much to complain but make the powers that be aware that they are losing potential youth votes?

DO ALL OF THE ABOVE AND DO IT NOW!

Bitch like you've never bitched before.  GW and the republican party need to be made aware of incidents like this or they will never learn.

Good luck to you.

Exactly
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Sound like there really wasen't a dress code and that you should have stood up for your son.

I would contact the White House just to voice your opinion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

He learned a valuable but sad lesson. Conform or get treated like shit.

Monkey,

I don't see  this as an issue of conformity as much as "appropriateness" of the occasion.  Although we are individuals, we live in a society and it is sometimes appropriate to dress a certain way, or not dress a certain way.

One more thing:  you will do your son a huge favor by having him understand that what happened was determined by his own actions (hid dress style) rather than how mean and evil the government employees are.  You do not want him assuming the "they were mean to me!" victim role in this.  If he understands that it was his actions that caused this - then he has complete control to prevent this from happening again.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Next time tell your kids to dress correctly for the right occassion.  I have a 16 y.o. son and he never dressed as a gang banger.  For a presidential speach he would have a suit on, as would I.

Your son just learned that clothes DO make a differance.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Are some here actually saying that hooded sweatshirts are "Gansta"?  Or is it the combination of baggy jeans and hooded sweatshirts that makes you "Gansta"?  I wear hooded sweatshirts all the time and would never consider myself to be "Gansta".  But if that's how someone wants to view me then so be it.  I'd rather be thought of as a "Gansta" for wearing my hooded sweatshirt than be caught dead with a "fag" bag on.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Sound like there really wasen't a dress code and that you should have stood up for your son.

Liberal.

Eminem on the block...

Eminem in court.

Even Eminem has sense.

And the POTUS outranks a "Your Honor".
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#39]
wrestlers with shaggy hair? times have changed. I graduated HS in 97 and all the wrestlers kept their hair really short, even shorter than my 1/4 buzz cuts to prevent people from pulling their hair in matches
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Eminem on the block...

www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1042520670292_2003/01/15/ent_eminem.jpg

Eminem in court.

www.eminem-pictures-lyrics.com/003ss.jpg

Even Eminem has sense.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
wrestlers with shaggy hair? times have changed. I graduated HS in 97 and all the wrestlers kept their hair really short, even shorter than my 1/4 buzz cuts to prevent people from pulling their hair in matches

Wrestling season ended in March. Four years of jock haircuts was enough, they grew them out a bit.  Btw, both the seniors (best friends) were the captains of the wrestling team. Jeans were baggy but not the big pocket ghetto jeans worn around their knees, more of a loose fit faded raggy kind of jean. My son's hoodie was a track sweatshirt. (hurdles and pole vault) the other kid had on a black leather biker type jacket. The younger brother had on a Nike sweatshirt. Of course I wish they'd worn their varsity jackets.

Just so people don't misunderstand my feelings, read this from my initial posting;

"I of course have told him that people judge you by how you look first and that life is unfair. Although I am disappointed at him not being treated fairly I understand that he and his buddies were seen as potential agitators. What upsets me the most is that this is his first experience with a presidential election and it has soured him to the whole process. "
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If this created a couple of New Democrats, they were already pro choice, anti gun, pro rainbow flag, anti war, pro kerry anyway.

If not, they will see how the democrats are and what they do or dont stand for and will be back. Hopefully next time they will dress with a little more discretion should they be afforded the same opportunity.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#43]
I own an Ad Agency/Design Group. I know much about images.

If you showed up in my office dressed like a gangbanger, you would be shown the door. Simple as that. You may be the hottest talent off the street but we have a dressed code in our office that shows we are serious and professional about our business. It’s not about your right to free expression. It's about a code of behavior, looks and conduct in our business world. It works, and it's expected.

You and I are judged by the words we use and the clothes we wear. That gentleman is the facts plain and simple.

Not to steal the thread, but your local Ad agency guy and some community leaders have been trying to build a Skate Park for our local youth. I live in small town USA. It's a small park with a total cost of about 100K. I did all the background research on skate parks and presented the pros and cons to our city council. This was going to be a gift to the park utilizing some useless parkland, free and clear. We were just seeking permission to build it.

The powers turned it down. Want to know why? IMAGE. Skate Park kids look bad and have a bad image. Scared the heck out of the elderly and the surrounding homeowners despite that the majority of the kids are their kids.

Even when presented with the facts that 98% of the kids are normal, good kids, they couldn't get past the "IMAGE" of baggy pants, rap and such. Thus, the good kids of my community lose out on a wonderful opportunity. Doomed becaused of a "pre-conceived" image.

Never underestimate the power of a good image.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Eminem on the block...

Eminem in court.

Even Eminem has sense.

Game, set, match.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Neatly groomed members of society.

myhome.sunyocc.edu/~saizl/nazi.jpg

However, not civilians.

Godwin's law is in place.  The argument is in the shitter from here on out.

I didn't check to see if you were the first to mention Nazis but your post left no doubt.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Profile or not?

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I aint voting for the neo-con, so should you.

Vote Russo for president.

c-rock
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#48]
I changed my mind.  I initially figured the security goons were out of line for kicking them out without making sure they were/were not 'disrupters'.  However, professional gatherings call for professional attire.
Thanks, BenDover, for convincing me of the correctness of the 'get a haircut, clean up and go back' side.  The NAZI comparisons were a little too over the top, and I doubt that the ONLY reason you should allow sloppy dress and long hair in a meeting is to avoid looking like/being a NAZI.  Unfortunately, that paints everybody who prefers short hair and clean dress as a NAZI.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone think that M&M got anything over on the courts or the judge by dressing up?

A pile of shit is still a pile of shit no matter how much you dress it up.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Liberal.

Eminem on the block...

Eminem in court.

Even Eminem has sense.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Amen, act like a white man and be treated like a white man.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top