BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol, majority here defend Trump, but want those two to rot in hell.

Some if not most of the stuff said about them can be said for trump.

(Ps, I voted for trump and I’m in seat 87 of the trump train so suck it.)
View Quote

I don't get this. Can you expound on it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Cincinnatus,
Is there video?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not really, David Petraeus told people what was going in open testimony before Congress (granted he didn't use classified materiel). Snowden could have gone public to the NYT or WaPo. He could have had the same balls as Daniel Ellsburg. He could have fled the US without the computer data instead of handing it off to the Russians and Chinese.

How much of what Assange does is a disinformation operation? Why do people cheer a foreign intelligence operative?
View Quote

They didnt give the russians or the chinese anything that they didnt already have.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s not true.  I’ve posted this, on multiple occasions.  Here’s what Snowden pledged:

I, Edward Snowden, swear that, by taking the citizenship of the Russian Federation, I will observe the Constitution and laws of the Russian Federation, and the rights and freedoms of its citizens; that I shall fulfill my duties as a citizen of the Russian Federation for the welfare of the state and society; that I will protect the freedom and independence of the Russian Federation; and that I will be loyal to Russia and respect its culture, history and traditions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowden IS a Russian citizen and has unconditionally pledged his loyalty to Russia.

That’s kind of a “clue.”

You say that in every single one of these Snowden threads and have yet to provide proof.  

That’s not true.  I’ve posted this, on multiple occasions.  Here’s what Snowden pledged:

I, Edward Snowden, swear that, by taking the citizenship of the Russian Federation, I will observe the Constitution and laws of the Russian Federation, and the rights and freedoms of its citizens; that I shall fulfill my duties as a citizen of the Russian Federation for the welfare of the state and society; that I will protect the freedom and independence of the Russian Federation; and that I will be loyal to Russia and respect its culture, history and traditions.

Joe Biden/Obama/Comey and on and on ad nauseam recite the pledge of allegiance periodically as well. Do you think that’s anything other than a bunch of words to them?

I’m not saying Snowden means those words or not, but pointing to a pledge taken during the process of receiving citizenship isn’t what I’d call proof of anything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowden IS a Russian citizen and has unconditionally pledged his loyalty to Russia.

That’s kind of a “clue.”

You say that in every single one of these Snowden threads and have yet to provide proof.  

The thing with Snowden that I take major issue with is exposing operatives in the field, if that is indeed true. As far as becoming a Russian citizen, what other option would he have?

He DID expose the government illegally spying on American citizens as well, so I have some mixed feelings on it all.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/02/930331788/edward-snowden-says-hes-applying-for-russian-citizenship

Apparently he tweeted it.

"After years of separation from our parents, my wife and I have no desire to be separated from our son. That's why, in this era of pandemics and closed borders, we're applying for dual US-Russian citizenship," Snowden said in his tweet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I mean...not so much on the guns part (shotguns fairly easy, rifles take years, pistols no go....legally anyway - I've heard rumors of being able to get MP40s and Papashas if you know the right farmer out in the hinterlands)

But yeah, living in SPB or Moscow wouldn't be bad except for shit medical care. Food is top notch, so are the parks and outdoors stuff.

Anyway, I'm with you. These guys exposed crimes committed by our government against us. RR_Broccoli's post above I think is a fair summary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowden threads around here pit brother against brother. The Snowden haters are wrong though.

He's a punk and a chump. He was likely played by an entrenched agent and used as a bagman for a higher placed mole. He probably regrets every day of his life sitting in Russia. I hope he ends up as miserable as Kim Philby.

Russia would not be a bad place to live, especially in large cities like Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and maybe Ufa. Excellent food, parks, fishing, movies, restaurants, hot women, and believe it or not, guns are available there.

Better than getting fucked in United States courts.

I mean...not so much on the guns part (shotguns fairly easy, rifles take years, pistols no go....legally anyway - I've heard rumors of being able to get MP40s and Papashas if you know the right farmer out in the hinterlands)

But yeah, living in SPB or Moscow wouldn't be bad except for shit medical care. Food is top notch, so are the parks and outdoors stuff.

Anyway, I'm with you. These guys exposed crimes committed by our government against us. RR_Broccoli's post above I think is a fair summary.

If Snowden gets a decent job at a university he's got it made. I knew shotguns were easy though, but cash and bribes over there talk. Things can be "bought."  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Joe Biden/Obama/Comey and on and on ad nauseam recite the pledge of allegiance periodically as well. Do you think that’s anything other than a bunch of words to them?

I’m not saying Snowden means those words or not, but pointing to a pledge taken during the process of receiving citizenship isn’t what I’d call proof of anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of a “clue.”

Pelosi took an oath to support and defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic so...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If Hilary walks, everyone walks
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If Snowden gets a decent job at a university he's got it made. I knew shotguns were easy though, but cash and bribes over there talk. Things can be "bought."  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowden threads around here pit brother against brother. The Snowden haters are wrong though.

He's a punk and a chump. He was likely played by an entrenched agent and used as a bagman for a higher placed mole. He probably regrets every day of his life sitting in Russia. I hope he ends up as miserable as Kim Philby.

Russia would not be a bad place to live, especially in large cities like Moscow, Saint Petersburg, and maybe Ufa. Excellent food, parks, fishing, movies, restaurants, hot women, and believe it or not, guns are available there.

Yeah that would not be a bad gig at a good university....and yeah, there are ways to get stuff like that without a doubt. Just DO NOT GET CAUGHT
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which begs the question, "What would you consider proof?"
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of a “clue.”

So he exposed our government’s extra–constitutional activities and didn’t have his life ruined and have to wait for a pardon in a supermax?  Sounds like winning to me. Also, not like no one tried to expose it before, not like no one in gov had been asked by the press about it before.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

yet you haven't proved that he pledged it. He applied for Russian citizenship last November, but mainly for his family there and because he cane come home.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yah, living under a communist dictatorship where 50% of the economy is controlled by organized crime oligarchies sounds like a barrel of laughs.
Enjoy your one bedroom apartment and cat food
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yah, living under a communist dictatorship where 50% of the economy is controlled by organized crime oligarchies sounds like a barrel of laughs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Dont' do the crime if you don't want to do the time. Doesn't matter if you did it for the right reasons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, but still beats living down the hall from Ted Kaczynski.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Assange is perhaps the world’s greatest advocate for free speech and freedom of the press.

Snowden exposed unbelievable criminality and abuse of citizens’ rights at the hands of their own government. Whatever else you might say of him, that outweighs it IMO.

Stop blaming everything on Russia, you sound like a goddamn democrat.

INB4 Josh yells at us to read the HPSCI report in Snowden? Because I have, it’s garbage, just like every disgusting swamp creature in Washington.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dread pirate roberts should not be in prison for life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a goddamn thing produced by the same fucking government he exposed for starters
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Traditionally, western defectors hate living there. Seriously, look up Philby, Burgess, and Maclean.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Traditionally, western defectors hate living there. Seriously, look up Philby, Burgess, and Maclean.

I know about Philby. But I can understand Snowden. His entire life, family, and his culture is here in the states. It would be a difficult transition, but he's probably used to it by now, and probably has made new friends.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Assange yes.  Snowden not so much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol

Pledging his loyalty to Russia is not proof that he has pledged his loyalty to Russia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of a “clue.”

lol

Pledging his loyalty to Russia is not proof that he has pledged his loyalty to Russia?

Joe Biden took the oath of office hours ago. Checkmate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because they revealed crimes committed against all of us.
View Quote
Assange was majorly responsible for the awakening against the Clintons.  Perhaps the swinging factor in 2016 going the way it did.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not really, David Petraeus told people what was going in open testimony before Congress (granted he didn't use classified materiel). Snowden could have gone public to the NYT or WaPo. He could have had the same balls as Daniel Ellsburg. He could have fled the US without the computer data instead of handing it off to the Russians and Chinese.

How much of what Assange does is a disinformation operation? Why do people cheer a foreign intelligence operative?
View Quote

Only if you thing the communists are against having someone killed.  I wouldn't take that risk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Remain an American citizen in exile.  He had that option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of a “clue.”

The thing with Snowden that I take major issue with is exposing operatives in the field, if that is indeed true. As far as becoming a Russian citizen, what other option would he have?

Remain an American citizen in exile.  He had that option.

Non-citizens can only stay in Russia for 180 days IIRC. He no longer had a valid passport to travel either, so he can't even leave.

There may be some other visa type that is short of becoming a citizen that allows for a longer stay, but I don't know.

I get it, I'm with you, I would not want to be a Russian citizen either but it seems he had very little choice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If true, he had no choice. Or he could just come back home to a pissed off US Department of Justice. I'd take my chances in ??????.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of a “clue.”

If true, he had no choice. Or he could just come back home to a pissed off US Department of Justice. I'd take my chances in ??????.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#31]
First, remember that it is illegal to classify information for the purposes of covering up a crime.  That is what the NSA, CIA, military, et al have been doing for a very long time, on very many occasions, and existing whistleblower protections have been insufficient for decades to hold them accountable.  Our priority, as a society, MUST be to hold the government accountable.  Holding the government accountable is far more important than holding individuals accountable for breaking the law to hold them accountable.

No matter his real or perceived motives, Julian Assange's actions did not constitute a crime.  He's a journalist, and the whole point of prosecuting him is to make it illegal to publish true information due to its original source.  He didn't hack or steal anything, but the government wants to make it illegal to talk about its crimes, no matter what.  That is unacceptable to me.

Manning was the one who broke the law leaking the video, but you know what?  He released a video of the military deliberating murdering a journalist from a helicopter.  That's a crime, and if the system is not going to hold itself accountable, someone else might.

Snowden is complicated.  On the one hand, everything he revealed to the US was evidence of actual wrongdoing by parts of the US government that are completely unaccountable without someone doing exactly what he did.  Existing whistleblower protections have failed on that account.  On the other hand, he also revealed things to China about the NSA targeting a specific university in Hong Kong IIRC, which was legitimate classified information that should have stayed classified.  On that account, Snowden betrayed us.  Therefore...on some accounts he deserves a pardon, but on others he needs to be held accountable in a court of law.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't like being spied on and lied to, OP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It isn't. C just wants to see Snowden hang, that's all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
First, remember that it is illegal to classify information for the purposes of covering up a crime.  That is what the NSA, CIA, military, et al have been doing for a very long time, on very many occasions, and existing whistleblower protections have been insufficient for decades to hold them accountable.  Our priority, as a society, MUST be to hold the government accountable.  Holding the government accountable is far more important than holding individuals accountable for breaking the law to hold them accountable.

No matter who or what he is, Julian Assange's actions did not constitute a crime.  He's a journalist, and the whole point of prosecuting him is to make it illegal to publish true information due to its original source.  He didn't hack or steal anything, but the government wants to make it illegal to talk about its crimes, no matter what.  That is unacceptable to me.

Manning was the one who broke the law leaking the video, but you know what?  He released a video of the military deliberating murdering a journalist from a helicopter.  That's a crime, and if the system is not going to hold itself accountable, someone else might.

Snowden is complicated.  On the one hand, everything he revealed to the US was evidence of actual wrongdoing by parts of the US government that are completely unaccountable without someone doing exactly what he did.  Existing whistleblower protections have failed on that account.  On the other hand, he also revealed things about the NSA targeting a specific university in China, which was legitimate classified information.  On that account, Snowden betrayed us.  Therefore...on some accounts he deserves a pardon, but on others he needs to be held accountable in a court of law.
View Quote

This seems like a pretty fair stance unless I'm unaware of other issues.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Roland that doesn't make sense. He'd been in Russia for years. I doubt he'd get jacked up on a 180 day visa beef.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dread pirate roberts should not be in prison for life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only if you thing the communists are against having someone killed.  I wouldn't take that risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russians, led by a former KGB officer, literally a communist, poison dissidents all the time.

The New York Times publishes lesbian wedding articles and toxic masculinity crap but isn’t whacking people. Hell, even Reality Winner and that weirdo Army tranny are still alive; who exactly got murdered?

Snowden is a ballless traitor to his country.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I don't like being spied on and lied to, OP.
View Quote

You've never been married?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Roland that doesn't make sense. He'd been in Russia for years. I doubt he'd get jacked up on a 180 day visa beef.
View Quote

I'm sure the Russians can always make exceptions to rules when they want (lol, of course they do) but I know most Russian visas DO have a 180 day limit. Of course this is an extenuating circumstance.

I would GUESS that at some point the Russians told him to shit or get off the pot, become a citizen or GTFO. That's just speculation, but it makes sense.

I would also guess that they would not just let him stay for as long as he wanted without becoming a citizen or permanent resident.

ETA- and remember he literally cannot go anywhere without a passport- his US one was revoked. What other option is there if he wanted to have a passport?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Hang clapper for treason, then we’ll talk about punishment for Snowden.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly this. Nothing Snowden or Assange did matters after that press conference by Comey on July 5, 2016...Hillary's actions pretty much gave up access to EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Because they revealed crimes committed against all of us.
View Quote

This.  Our freedoms come first.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Eh, Snowden I don't care so much about. The information he leaked I think was important but his behavior afterwards condemns him.

Assange on the other hand is a foreign national who did not break into systems or steal any of the information he published. In my view he acted as a reporter so if Assange is tried then Glen Greenwald should be tried too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

THIS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

Hillary has done more damage to this country than the entire Russian government has.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like all of the statist responses have pretty much dropped off before the end of page 2. Impressive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hillary has done more damage to this country than the entire Russian government has.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS

Hell, not just Hilary but Democrat staffers have turned out to be foreign spies numerous times and nothing had been done about it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Assange is perhaps the world’s greatest advocate for free speech and freedom of the press.

Snowden exposed unbelievable criminality and abuse of citizens’ rights at the hands of their own government. Whatever else you might say of him, that outweighs it IMO.

Stop blaming everything on Russia, you sound like a goddamn democrat.

INB4 Josh yells at us to read the HPSCI report in Snowden? Because I have, it’s garbage, just like every disgusting swamp creature in Washington.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Snowden threads around here pit brother against brother. The Snowden haters are wrong right though.
View Quote

fify
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Snowden and Assange are heroes. Not popularity-contest winners.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

fify
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snowden threads around here pit brother against brother. The Snowden haters are wrong right though.

fify

Looks like I jinxed it.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top