Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar problem with my 550b. They sent out new tubes and that didn't really fix the issue, turns out what it needed was a REALLY good cleaning. I stripped the whole feed system down, cleaned everything perfectly, including removing some rough spots that had developed in the feed slider. I then but the tiniest spray of silicone on the slider and plate, as well as the sides and top of the channel it rides in, being sure to not get it on the spots the primer touches. Then I very carefully put it back together and surprise surprise, it works great.

It literally takes one grain of powder in the wrong spot to cause that issue, so just doing a basic cleaning might not fix it. From my perspective it's the biggest weakness in the press design, too easy for that to have issues.

That said, I've been waiting a while now for my 9mm caliber conversion kit. I don't mind loading some boutique stuff on the single stage, but if I'm going to do some volume I want to use the 550b and not having that conversion kit is holding me up. Oh well, it'll show when it shows. For now I'm doing the low volume stuff and finishing up other calibers. I've still got 223 I can load.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I called about primer feed issues on my 20 year old 550. They sent me all the parts to fix it under warranty. Dillon rocks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can forget call-me-back or email. They are balls to the wall but they are shipping every day. I think they have even pressed the janitor into building, packing & shipping. If you can't get an answer in the reloading forum, head over to Brian Enos's board and check there.
View Quote
On a recent visit to Dillon in Scottsdale, only the few customer parking slots were available.  It is the first time I have seen every staff parking space filled.  

I messed around with a 750 while I was there.  I felt like the priming system was a solution looking for a problem, when compared to the 650.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Dillon CS is great!

Their phone tree and email systems suck.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm currently the 15th person in queue, I'm checking on an order I placed today.  Put it on speakerphone and just let it go until someone picks up.
View Quote

You placed an order today and are already calling about it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Has Dillon lost a customer?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Try a .45 case over the top of the black follower rod. It gives a little more weight on the primer stack and it’s the perfect diameter to stay on the rod. You can even put a 9mm bullet inside the case for even more weight.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm currently the 15th person in queue, I'm checking on an order I placed today.  Put it on speakerphone and just let it go until someone picks up.

This??

Op you sound like the type of person that calls, and calls, and calls...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Some folks need to grow up. When there are special current events and extenuating circumstances going on, you should be able to make allowances and understand. OP.... you think maybe that with the country the way it is right now going commie and all, and gunowners going just a little hysterical about it, that maybe Dillon and others are having just a bit of trouble keeping up with the 10fold demand on product, parts, and service?  Ya think?  

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry to hear that.  I've never called, only emailed.  Have had major parts simply wear out from heavy use and they replaced and upgraded several times with no hassles and quickly, always free.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Does all this apply to a very well used super 1050?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are very busy right now, shortage and all that. Like all vendors.

I have had good luck with emails. Like all vendors.
View Quote

sooo with a "shortage" they are somehow "busy"

Right.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I called them once. They were fantastic. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Has Dillon lost a customer?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am sure if you slam it hard enough this can happen, but I have crushed primers into unrecognizable dust and have not had one go off after loading tens of thousands of rounds on the 650.  Saying the 750 primer system is an improvement seems to be not true, however.  My 650 primer system has never jammed or needed washers, bending, spacing, or rubber bands to operate.

Here is where I cannot disagree with OP:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then you'd be complaining that your primer system detonated and shot the tube of primers through the ceiling.

There is a reason they went away from the rotary system.
I am sure if you slam it hard enough this can happen, but I have crushed primers into unrecognizable dust and have not had one go off after loading tens of thousands of rounds on the 650.  Saying the 750 primer system is an improvement seems to be not true, however.  My 650 primer system has never jammed or needed washers, bending, spacing, or rubber bands to operate.

Should have bought a used 650.

Yes, I have crushed, folded, and mutilated primers beyond recognition on my 650 and never had a detonation BUT and this is a BUT...I know that the machine cycle follows several speed profiles - it't not just DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP (to include seating primer), DOWN, UP.  

It's DOWN fast until the shell plate gets close to the dies, slow as cartridges enter dies while feeling for any hangups, more pressure all the way to full down while again feeling for abnormalitles, pause if loading rifle to allow powder drop, slowstart upward, speed up until the handle reaches neutral position, STOP handle motion, SLOWLY seat primer, give handle a little oomph at the very end, release to neutral position, start again.  Loading about 300K rounds on a 650 develops an intimate feel for the machine.  I flat wore one out so bad they replaced the entire thing.  Except my primer catch pail - it looks like whiting plastic shit since it dates from the mid 90's.
People that have had detonations I would bet did NOT stop and cautiously proceed with the seating.  It was just an extension of the full handle up motion.  I've even loaded sleeves upon sleeves of Federal primers also with zero issues even when crushing them on my worn out press.

From what I've heard, Dillon received so many kB primer system replacement orders that they thought it was just a good idea to make it near impossible to set off the entire tube.

TBH, I don't understand the issue since it's a linear slide like my SDB which dates back to 90 or 91 and it primes flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Dillon has always treated me very well.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Dillon goes the extra mile to work out problems.  Their CS is awesome.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Last time I called Mike answered the phone. The small issue I had was cleared up pretty quick.
View Quote

He's dead Jim.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They may be so overwhelmed with orders that they're having trouble with customer service. I've never heard any complaints about them before. These are trying times.
View Quote

They are and they literally tell you that in the recorded message you get when you call them now.

You can either wait forever on the line or you can leave a message for them to call you back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought my second 550 at an estate sale. Beat to crap, parts bent and missing.  

Called them up with a substantial list, no charge!

Was so grateful I bought $300 of accessories to add to the order plus spare parts kit for the 550 and 650.  

Fully expected to pay for some of those parts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They may be so overwhelmed with orders that they're having trouble with customer service. I've never heard any complaints about them before. These are trying times.
View Quote

Im in the tech service department of my company. It's hunting adjacent products. We got slammed so hard this year the owners took us off all other duties and put us on incoming orders calls. We couldnt call out we had every line tied up. Returns processing and repairs are over a month behind.  Operations director said we'd had needed 17 additional call room employees to handle orders. Picking and shipping orders got 2+ weeks behind and we stopped using USPS because they were behind and losing so many of our packages. Our owners decided not to put anything on the website about the huge surge to help manage expectations. Some people get it. Most dont.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#24]
They are very busy, just send them an email to their warranty department. I just did it because the low primer sensor internal electronics failed, it took them about three days to get back with me telling me a new one had been ordered and will ship as soon as they come in (they were back ordered). I had the new unit in about a week and a half from the initial email.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never had anything but overly pleasant experiences with their CS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
My experience with Dillon customer service has been nothing short of exceptionally great.  Like most other firearms/ammo related businesses, they are all slammed now, and finding anything decent to buy is a chore.  Even reloading components are extremely hard to find.  I looked for 2 days for powder before I found some at a hole in the wall old gunshop that was an hour's drive away from my house.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dillon customer service is the best in the business.
View Quote
This has been my experience as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#28]
So you think Dillon should Stop and drop everything they are doing so they can focus on your problem.
Hmmmm.
Perhaps you should figure out the problem and solution yourself.
Dillon customer service rocks. You,on the other hand not so much
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#29]
They just refurb'd a rusty 650 I sent in for free. I'm still a happy customer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, don't call them, email them.  That seems to work way better.  Sometimes it takes a couple days, but I've never had anything less than stellar customer service from them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Right.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are very busy right now, shortage and all that. Like all vendors.

I have had good luck with emails. Like all vendors.

Right.....

Your sarcasm only indicates you have a comprehension problem. What is so hard for you to understand that if Dillon produces and sells their products at 10 times their usual rate, their reps will not be able to keep up with the texts, emails, and phone calls that they are normally equipped to handle, and neither will the service department.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

That meme
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Send it to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:02:38 AM EDT
[#34]
You are not going to convince anyone that Dillon sucks. They are the best in the business, cut them some slack and go fishing after sending them an email with your issue.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Completely different system, I have a 550. Should have bought a used 650. This thing is a joke
View Quote

I said I will trade you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#36]
I beg to differ.  

I was doing a move and had my reloading bench on an open trailer and long story short my buddy helping took a turn too fast and the bench with the 550 went flying off the trailer and the cast Al frame to my 550 broke in 2.

Emailed them and they said sure....send it in and we'll mail out a replacement.  Took all of about 2 weeks ( pre panic ).

Outstanding company.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had my primer stack go off twice.   2nd time was last week.  I just loaded the tube. Probably 100+ in there. Big boom.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Running a Dillon or other progressive press requires a level of mechanical/technical ability beyond what a single stage press would.

I'm sure there are some people out there who should just stick with a single stage or just buy their ammo.....

As others have said, Dillon customer service is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The 1050 is great but it's a very old design at this point.

And the CP2000 and RL1100 are basically just the 1050 with minor tweaks.

If I were just starting out, I'd seriously consider a lyman revolution for that price point.   eta: Well, price range, I guess.   Its considerably more expensive but its not like stepping up to a camdex.

I've got alot of Dillon stuff.  And there are some things they do that no one does better.   But their innovation has slipped to new competitors the past few years.
View Quote

Love my S1050. Can crank out a 1k rounds of 9mm in 40-45 minutes casually. There's a certain rythem and music that happens magically with the bullet and case feeder doing their thing along with listening for the primer system "click" as the indicator rod drops showing another primer dropped into the shuttle tray.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes, I have crushed, folded, and mutilated primers beyond recognition on my 650 and never had a detonation BUT and this is a BUT...I know that the machine cycle follows several speed profiles - it't not just DOWN, UP, DOWN, UP (to include seating primer), DOWN, UP.  

It's DOWN fast until the shell plate gets close to the dies, slow as cartridges enter dies while feeling for any hangups, more pressure all the way to full down while again feeling for abnormalitles, pause if loading rifle to allow powder drop, slowstart upward, speed up until the handle reaches neutral position, STOP handle motion, SLOWLY seat primer, give handle a little oomph at the very end, release to neutral position, start again.  Loading about 300K rounds on a 650 develops an intimate feel for the machine.  I flat wore one out so bad they replaced the entire thing.  Except my primer catch pail - it looks like whiting plastic shit since it dates from the mid 90's.
People that have had detonations I would bet did NOT stop and cautiously proceed with the seating.  It was just an extension of the full handle up motion.  I've even loaded sleeves upon sleeves of Federal primers also with zero issues even when crushing them on my worn out press.

From what I've heard, Dillon received so many kB primer system replacement orders that they thought it was just a good idea to make it near impossible to set off the entire tube.

TBH, I don't understand the issue since it's a linear slide like my SDB which dates back to 90 or 91 and it primes flawlessly.
View Quote

I put very little pressure on the one I had last week. I don't cram them in. If they don't fit right in the case I throw that case away.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Dillon customer service most definitely does not suck.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#42]
... Dillon Precision has fine customer service
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top