User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mineral spirits gets it right off. I use it on all my surplus parts kits and mags.

I usually put a couple cans of it in a 5 gallon bucket, drop all the parts or mags in, pull them out a few minutes later and the cosmo is completely removed.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Even after a thorough cleaning the cosmo still oozes out of every nook and cranny when you shoot it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I wrapped my mosin in a black towel and left it on my dashboard for a day. Kinda hard to do in the winter though.

Mineral spirits or hot water work well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm sure child labor, and possibly mineral spirits are verboten in the people's glorious republic of Bloomberg.
View Quote

He’s a lawyer.

He probably has the ability to write up a NDA

Or threaten to take away cartoons
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Hair dryer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Remove the action from the stock, use boiling hot water to melt the grease off of the action. I do it over a cardboard box with old rags in it.   You shouldn't need a bunch of water.  Detail clean and lubricate as needed. Why waste all the mineral sprits then have to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
gasoline in a trough (no smoking) LOL
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Safe queen? I just throw my Soviet sks away after 500 rounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.

I've only got about 500 rds for mine , but it's a Russian safe queen anyway.

Safe queen? I just throw my Soviet sks away after 500 rounds.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it a Yugo SKS? If your having functioning problems with a Yugo, it may not be excess cosmoline, but a bad gas valve. Read up on it, easy fix.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mineral spirits gets it right off. I use it on all my surplus parts kits and mags.

I usually put a couple cans of it in a 5 gallon bucket, drop all the parts or mags in, pull them out a few minutes later and the cosmo is completely removed.
View Quote

This and then you can also use Brake Cleaner to spray into hard to reach places like around the sights and gas tube.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Boiling hot water and elbow grease?  Oil when finished.

If it was summer put stock in black garbage bag inside of car out in the sun.  Sweat the cosmoline to the surface.
View Quote

This works even when you think it is all out.

Have also used hair dryers with some success.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He's a lawyer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure child labor, and possibly mineral spirits are verboten in the people's glorious republic of Bloomberg.

He's a lawyer.

To get around minors not being able to contract, since he's in New York, he should call it a "reproductive health service".  

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Get two cans of cheap spray carb cleaner, like from the Walmart auto supply, disassemble, spray every bit until both cans are gone, lube, reassemble.

I'm not kidding. It's fast, messy, and cheap. Like an SKS. But they both work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The dude I purchased mine from was giving a free can of cleaner with them, he said, “ you’ll need it.” He wasn’t wrong.

Years later there is still some on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Ost i need to do one its cached
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Real Hot water and detergent and a good brush with elbow grease.

Rinse in hot water and oil liberally.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Take it apart and put in your oven. File for divorce.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I have cleaned up several guns full of cosmoline and find mineral sprits seem to work best. There are several videos on youtube detailing how to disasssemble an SKS.  

Most advise to be sure and clean the bolt and firing pin because a cosmo stuck firing pin can lead to slam fires.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Mineral spirits for initial surface cleaning, then wood parts in the oven at lowest it'll go to sweat the rest out. It may take several times of wiping it off the stock and hand guards and putting them back in the oven for another "sweat", rinse, repeat, etc. Use foil in the oven unless you want to hear it from the wife. You might hear it anyway over the smell.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Aimless,I wish I had known! I still owe you a couple of favors...
I would've done it for you.
My recipe is easy.

Old rain gutter with 2 ends about 3.5 feet long.

One 5 gallon bucket and lid.

One pair of Playtex dish washing gloves.

One package of harbor freight 3 pack of disposable steel/brass/nylon brushes.

Rags or shop towels.

1 package of fine steel wool

2 gallons camp stove fuel (the kind for the old Coleman stoves)

Field strip the gun, and remove the steel buttplate screws , door and buttplate itself and set aside parts.

Take the rifle and throw the stock and barreled action in the gutter and cover with Coleman fuel for about an hour and a half.

Use the brass and nylon bristle brushes to scrub the action and the nooks and crannies of the stock.

Take the steel wool and use it to scrub the larger portion of the surface of the steel, and remove to barreled action from the cleaner. set aside and let dry.

While the action dries work on the stock with the steel wool to remove the cosmoline that sweated out of the stock, you may have to soak the stock a number of times to get it all out of the wood,

I average about 2-3 times to get get all of it extracted from the pores of the wood depending on what model and how long it sat in cosmo.

I then put the gas tube, piston, fire control and buttplate in the 5 gallon bucket with the coleman fuel I emptied from the process into the 5 gallon bucket, and let the parts soak overnight.

The next day I remove the parts and clean the same way. the wood on the gas tube might need a couple of soakings like the stock did.

Re-assemble and enjoy!

Call me if you have questions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Hot soapy water, that how I cleaned my old Yugo AK kits, then soak in parts cleaner and lube.

Well actually it was my wife.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Put it in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Leave it out in the sun
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I used break cleaner to clean the cosmoline off my Mak.

Worked really well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Kerosene is better than mineral spirits for cosmo removal
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mineral Spirits are known by other names such as Stoddard Solvent or just cleaning solvent.
Until the eco craze hit it was standard issue in all automotive repair shops.
It will do the job.
I use it in my parts cleaner, we have a petroleum supplier that sells it at the pump. it's around $5 per gallon.
Ace / Lowes, etc, probably carry it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Heck you can even use gasoline.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay

Heck you can even use gasoline.

I live dangerously.   Used gas on all my milsurps metal parts.  Wood, throw in black garbage bag and roast it in my car during the summer.

I haven't started anything on fire yet
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#31]
We used to take them to the car was, and use the engine cleaner mode. Then rinse, dry,  and lube very well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:30:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Gasoline or kerosene. Gas eats it right off metal. Soak in a coffee can for smaller parts or a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon in it for the barrel. Swish around.

Blow off with air gun and oil.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
gasoline in a trough (no smoking) LOL
View Quote

Works great..
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used break cleaner to clean the cosmoline off my Mak.

Worked really well.
View Quote

Yep - Brake Cleaner definitely works.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:36:12 AM EDT
[#35]
put it in a camp fire.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I heard about running them through the dishwasher after gasoline, etc.  I loaded 4 stocks into my wife's brand new dishwasher and it worked!

She was not pleased her dishwasher was orange inside for a few months.  I don't recommend this method.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I did when I bought one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top