Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@sherm8404

I have 3 crayfish right now.  They all have to be kept separate or they fight.  I had caught one at the beginning of the summer and kept it in the guppy tank until it got big enough to eat the guppies.
View Quote

@C-4
My oldest had one and it ate the fish in his tank years ago. Now my little guy has one and wants fish for the tank. Trying to convince him they’ll be short lived
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My wife wants a peacock and a peahen.
View Quote

Be advised, they make horrific, blood-curdling noise.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a male tortie cat.

He is more derp than exotic tho...

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#5]
@jeepsnguns81
@JD762

What does your weekly feeding look like? How large of an outdoor enclosure do you provide? Shelter I assume a doghouse with a large enough door? JD762 do you overwinter outside or inside? What do you keep track of medical wise?

I think one I could leave outside year round except for severe weather would be great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife's yellow-nape amazon.

He hates my guts with a passion.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@jeepsnguns81
@JD762

What does your weekly feeding look like? How large of an outdoor enclosure do you provide? Shelter I assume a doghouse with a large enough door? JD762 do you overwinter outside or inside? What do you keep track of medical wise?

I think one I could leave outside year round except for severe weather would be great.
View Quote

Mine are still young so I feed them daily, a mix of grasses and weeds I grow, some high quality super market greens (Dandelion, Escarole, Chicory and Turnip Greens) and a pellet diet from Zoomed.  Current enclosure is about 12' by 6', I'll probably end up tripling the size as they grow.  Shelter wise mine just some boards over cinder blocks covered in shade cloth.  During inclement weather I bring them inside.

I've had mine for two years and have not needed a vet or any medical care.  Buy healthy Captive Bred animals direct from the breeder and you should rarely need to seek any medical care.  Young animals do need to be protected from predators.  Here in AZ we have a small mouse that will attack, kill and eat baby tortoises.  Birds, dogs, cats, raccoons, badgers etc will all make a meal out of a small tortoise.  Once they get big enough not much will mess with them though.

Being able to be left outside will be highly dependent on your climate and the species you choose.  If you're area is cooler and humid, a Burmese Mountain Tortoise might be a solid choice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/yKUkux.jpg
View Quote

Of course he does, you're banging his mate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/921/yKUkux.jpg
View Quote

I worked in the pet industry back in the 80's when Amazon Parrots were still coming from the wild.
Yellow Napes would come in singing in Spanish.  Seriously, singing spanish songs.  It was incredible.
Usually Yellow Napes (And African Greys ) prefer males over females.  I've seen a few strained relationships caused by pet parrots.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@jeepsnguns81
@JD762

View Quote

Mine free ranges the yard. Occasionally I will toss him some greens, pumpkin, occasionnal fruits and even fish carcasses after fishing but 99% of his diet is just eating around the yard.

His enclosure is my fenced in back yard, only about a quarter acre but still plenty large enough.  I had large sulcatas but they are diggers and would constantly dig and destroy. Aldabras are not diggers and rather careful/deliberate in their movements. I'd avoid sulcstas for sure.

I'm on the Florida panhandle so we do get cold but usually not for long. He has a heated hide (dog house) he goes in and he may stay in it a few days in a row if it's cold. Larger tortoises hold heat better too. As long as its sunny, he will happily come out and graze for hours even if it's only 50 degrees out. Very few tortoises do well indoors long term so no matter the species,  plan for an outdoor enclosure even if you bring them in for the winter.

When young, its not a bad idea to keep track of growth and weight as that can be alert you to any medical issues. My guy is over 70lbs now so those days are long gone. Larger and more mature tortoises are not nearly as delicate as hatchlings. I did have one vet emergency. He developed a respiratory infection which can quickly turn deadly because tortoises and turtles can't cough. A round of antibiotics cleared it up.

If you dont mind spending a little money, an aldabra is really the way to go!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@C-4
My oldest had one and it ate the fish in his tank years ago. Now my little guy has one and wants fish for the tank. Trying to convince him they’ll be short lived
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sherm8404

I have 3 crayfish right now.  They all have to be kept separate or they fight.  I had caught one at the beginning of the summer and kept it in the guppy tank until it got big enough to eat the guppies.

@C-4

@sherm8404

I’ve learned that they are solitary creatures the hard way.  I caught some wild Brown Bullhead catfish and kept them in my 550 gallon HDPE tank outdoors.  I put a very large crayfish thinking it would be OK, which it was for a few days before the catfish ripped it apart.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Furry barnacle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh FUCK NO! This is why God invented the .50 BMG!
View All Quotes

He only has a P7.   I bet you could out shoot him with only an MP5.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
....I've seen a few strained relationships caused by pet parrots.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Her names Sandy but she doesnt know karate
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have 76 snakes.  These are my two largest.  Local farmers are saving stillborn lambs and goats for them to eat.

Karma, 17 feet and 125 pounds of reticulated python (and still growing longer)
Attachment Attached File

Saphira, 16 feet and 120 pounds of reticulated python ("dwarf" retic so she's pretty much done growing)
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a male tortie cat.

He is more derp than exotic tho...

https://i.imgur.com/BeKt9iD.jpeg
View Quote

Is that its real color
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an elephant dog... she keeps elephants out of my back yard.  I haven't had an elephant in my back yard since I got her
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:34:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife wants a peacock and a peahen.

Oh, I'm well aware.  Growing up there was a peacock that just kind of roamed our neighborhood.  It would eat everyone's cat food that was left out.  Right now the 2 roosters and turkey crow and gobble all day.  My main apprehension to getting them is them scratching paint on cars.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#21]

oh boy.. you better hide that one
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
....I've seen a few strained relationships caused by pet parrots.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Mrs. FishKepr and my parrot do NOT get along.  And yes it’s led to some tense moments.

ETA:  We also have a bearded dragon.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have 76 snakes.  These are my two largest.  Local farmers are saving stillborn lambs and goats for them to eat.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/karmamirror_jpg-1789125.JPG

Saphira, 16 feet and 120 pounds of reticulated python ("dwarf" retic so she's pretty much done growing)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/SaphiraGrass_jpg-1789127.JPG
View Quote

Holly Wa!
What's the poop smell like,and look like?
Has to clysdale size with ammonia mixed in!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:56:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Three Leopard Tortoises and three Crested Geckos.

Leopard Tortoise
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/244212/20210119_191659_jpg-1787435.JPG
View Quote

I heard those were really dangerous if you cornered them.  Hope you don't have kids with those things running loose.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#25]
To those of you with large lizards....why?

Do they have personalities? Are they affectionate?  What is the attraction?

Legit asking, I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Monitors are like puppy dogs.  But seriously they are actually highly intelligent and like to interact with people they trust.  Iguanas, especially the Rock Iguanas, are also very intelligent and are rather social.  A friend had a few Rhino Iguanas and they liked to be scratched and would come write up to you and start bobbing their head.  Don't have experience with Tegus, but it seems like the people that have them think their awesome.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was a snake dude up until I got a rescue bearded dragon a couple years ago.  He is aware of everything happening in the room.  Every morning I say good morning and he looks right at me.  I've been in pet shops and felt eyes on me to find out it's a bearded dragon staring me down.  
Monitor lizards and also Iguanas seem to have a genuine awareness of their surrondings.  
I have 4 Leopard geckos and all have different personalities, eating habits, etc.  They even crap in different parts of their enclosures.  
So they absolutely have personalities.  
Affection is very subjective to the recipient.  I think we as humans believe some animals are more affectionate than others with little evidence other than how a particular animal makes us feel.   That said, I see no evidence to suggest reptiles express affection.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Holly Wa!
What's the poop smell like,and look like?
Has to clysdale size with ammonia mixed in!
View Quote

Thankfully they only eat every 2-3 weeks so they take a crap every 2-3 weeks, and yes the output volume is close to that of a horse or cow.

You definitely know it when one goes, though it varies by species.  Brazilian Rainbow Boa crap stink is the worst I've encountered.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thankfully they only eat every 2-3 weeks so they take a crap every 2-3 weeks, and yes the output volume is close to that of a horse or cow.

You definitely know it when one goes, though it varies by species. Brazilian Rainbow Boa crap stink is the worst I've encountered.
View Quote
my old BRB would stink out the house when she shit. I'd wake up gagging and have to air out my room every time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I have pets from Brazil, Columbia, Burma, Indonesia, Tanzania, & Taiwan.

Probably trumps most for "exotic".

They're freshwater fish.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I prefer the low maintenance pets.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:00:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/karmamirror_jpg-1789125.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1498/SaphiraGrass_jpg-1789127.JPG
View Quote

Beautiful!!!

I had a retic a long time ago. Mine was a dick, but it sure was pretty
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Beautiful. Surinams are my favorite BCC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a few snakes. These are Suriname Boa Constrictors.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/50282313-F579-4080-9D9C-9F9418DD0C49_jpe-1787549.JPG

Beautiful. Surinams are my favorite BCC.

Thank you. I love them. This is my male and female. Both are about a year old now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:53:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Beautiful!!!

I had a retic a long time ago. Mine was a dick, but it sure was pretty
View Quote

My super dwarf male can be a real asshole, to the point he will deliberately spray you with pee if you piss him off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Otis L Spunkmeyer has no idea what's going on ... man.

Whenever I'm at my GF's house he jumps in the tub whenever one of us is taking a shower. Not sure if that makes him exotic or eccentric though

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#39]
My daughter has.
a Hedgehog
2 Degu
a Dwarf Hamster

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Not really too exotic,  it this guy came home with me today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a small, black, pot-bellied.......

dag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a Texas Hill County Ground Bat

He’s a black Chihuahua/Terrier mix...originally a rescue from Lufkin but now it’s official, Hill Country Ground Bat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It’s either a Catahoula Leopard Dog or a couch potato. Not sure which.
View Quote

I’m betting couch potato.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a couple of ball pythons, one regular and one pastel.
They definitely have personality, probably not affection though.  The regular one is as close as a reptile could get to showing affection though, she’s a sweetheart.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a couple of ball pythons, one regular and one pastel.
They definitely have personality, probably not affection though.  The regular one is as close as a reptile could get to showing affection though, she’s a sweetheart.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/208931/36BDBC91-7F5E-4C05-998C-B7CE12FF9267_jpe-1795084.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/208931/12DB353F-7E38-45AD-A48D-487216BBC62A_jpe-1795101.JPG
View Quote

Oh hell no...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a 26 year old Bajan.  Lovely specimen.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a Texas Hill County Ground Bat

He’s a black Chihuahua/Terrier mix...originally a rescue from Lufkin but now it’s official, Hill Country Ground Bat.
View Quote

Huh.
I have a Flightless Mexican Fruitbat.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#48]
2 dogs, 2 cats, 15 rabbits, 10 chickens, and 50-75 coturnix quail.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top