Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Meh, I change my oil when my son doesn’t have anything going on that weekend.  Otherwise I’m paying someone else to do it every time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've done probably thousands of oil changes on several different OEMs, I have never once got a torque wrench out to go after a drain plug. Nor have I have heard of one failing because it wasn't torqued
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked for years in a shop where nobody torqued a single drain plug. I never saw any come loose or have catastrophic failures like everyone seems to think.

Will I argue against using a properly calibrated torque wrench for a drain plug? Hell no.

I've done probably thousands of oil changes on several different OEMs, I have never once got a torque wrench out to go after a drain plug. Nor have I have heard of one failing because it wasn't torqued
For real. I've done my own and my mom's since I was a kid + a few for different gfs over the years- all different types of American and Japanese (and one BMW). I've never used a torque wrench on a drain plug, and I've never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Changing my own oil and mowing my own lawn are things that I used to pay someone else to do.  Then I realized: I really don't mind doing either of those, it's kind of meditative, irrespective of costs involved.  I am back to doing both myself.

If someone finds it onerous and would rather pay someone else, great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice! I usually pay even more to avoid having $10/hr techs from touching the car.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats not bad.  My cummins w both fuel filters is around $300 at dealer.  Ive had them do it since it was new.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How much is your time worth?

I pay roughly 75 bucks including 25 bucks for insurance for a rental for an oil change in my 4runner.  Show up, get a rental, go to work, leave work pick up 4runner and done for another 3-4 months.

Worth it to me.
View Quote

Both of our newer cars - oil change until 60k miles. One one of those two, it's oil changes for life, and lifetime power train warranty.

I show up, 1hr and two donuts + coffee (free) later I am headed back home.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Changing oil at home seems like it USED to be a good deal.

Nowadays it's very close in price.

Benefits of doing it at home:
YOU have complete control over oil and oil filter brand/type/grade, etc., and have complete control over the workmanship.

If you trust the local garages, and if you are only price driven and value your time, and believe "oil is oil and filter is filter", then it makes sense to not DIY. Also, it can be a PITA if you live in an apt with street parking, for example.

Sometimes auto parts stores have deals like "buy 5 quarts of oil get a free filter" but it's there choice on what brand. And then, if you need that extra quart, it drives the price up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Last time I took my personal 6.7 to the dealer at 30k miles it was $500 for the oil change and fuel filters.  

I was like what the fork?!

I then paid, left, and forgot about that

Until now

Thanks Obama
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
People that take their vehicles to get oil changed make me LOL!
Unless you're driving something like a Maybach. You definitely think you're more important than you really are in life!!

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a bad price.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Just be glad you don't own a Lexus .  You'll pay slightly more .

But at the dealership the wife uses they at least have a restaurant .

The breakfast sandwich is outstanding .

gd
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Same truck. Dealer charges 80ish
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For real. I've done my own and my mom's since I was a kid + a few for different gfs over the years- all different types of American and Japanese (and one BMW). I've never used a torque wrench on a drain plug, and I've never had a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Worked for years in a shop where nobody torqued a single drain plug. I never saw any come loose or have catastrophic failures like everyone seems to think.

Will I argue against using a properly calibrated torque wrench for a drain plug? Hell no.

I've seen idiots with either air tools or a big enough yank a wrench strip threads.  

I've seen shitty places hide that fact various ways too.  My Chevelle has one of those self tapping repair plugs in it, that I know who installed back when my grandmother had it serviced.  It just showed up like that at some point. A friend got a car back with the plug RTV'd on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#14]
2016 Silverado 5.3.  I had the dealer do a change since it was still under warranty. 10 bucks more expensive than doing it myself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's your funeral, pal. How do you know the low-paid wrench monkey properly torqued your drain plug with a torque wrench that was calibrated within the last 87 days?

I prefer the Kentucky windage version of torqueing a drain plug.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I, too, would rather pay someone else to change my oil.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thats not bad.  My cummins w both fuel filters is around $300 at dealer.  Ive had them do it since it was new.
View Quote

It’s about $175 and an hour to do it yourself, oil/fuel
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's like going to a restaurant and them adding a fee for napkins, salt, pepper, silverware, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gloves, rags, etc.
That's like going to a restaurant and them adding a fee for napkins, salt, pepper, silverware, etc.

They do, it's just not itemized.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Unless you’re driving something like a Maybach. You definitely think you’re more important than you really are in life!!

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

About the same for the Powerstroke oil change plus fuel filters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Changing oil at home seems like it USED to be a good deal.

Nowadays it's very close in price.

Benefits of doing it at home:
YOU have complete control over oil and oil filter brand/type/grade, etc., and have complete control over the workmanship.

If you trust the local garages, and if you are only price driven and value your time, and believe "oil is oil and filter is filter", then it makes sense to not DIY. Also, it can be a PITA if you live in an apt with street parking, for example.

Sometimes auto parts stores have deals like "buy 5 quarts of oil get a free filter" but it's there choice on what brand. And then, if you need that extra quart, it drives the price up.
View Quote
This. The price difference just isn't worth it. And going to the dealership you get OEM stuff.

Now something like the brakes on the other hand I can get the parts from the company that actually supplies Toyota and install them myself for like 1/4 the price (not autozone crap). That's a no brainer.

I actually got my oil changed last week and sitting there I like to listen to what people pay. The counter lady went over to one woman "you need new indicator lights $15/each" You can buy a 2 pack for $5
One older woman I did feel kinda bad for "you need new rear brakes, $500". The look on her face was rough. I'm thinking I can do that with the same stuff they use for maybe just over $100.

Dealerships only screw you if you let them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Do it yourself...  
My first dealer Powerstroke oil change forced me to start changing it by myself.  I buy Delvac Full Synthetic at the Farm and Fleet when it's on sale, and oil filters from the Dealer.  Ask your dealer for a diesel owner discount. I get 10% on parts and 15% on filters and Cetane Boost.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I get mine serviced.  The shop owners vote conservative
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#24]
The good thing about dealer oil changes is they have a record of it being done.

If anything ever goes sideways, they can’t argue it’s because the oil wasn’t changed.

There was a thread on here by someone with a new small model Ford (?)

Anyway, something happened to the engine. He did his own oil changes but couldn’t prove it. They claimed the problem was oil related. I don’t remember how it all turned out. But it was a shitshow.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

2017 F350, 6.7 Powerstroke.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/IMG_20210119_155001_jpg-1786969.JPG

The same oil and filter from Amazon:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20210119-160151_png-1786970.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20210119-160226_png-1786974.JPG

DIY? $105.44 with a couple of excess quarts to use on the next change or toss in the toolbox.

Or I can show up with no appointment, wait 1h19m and let some dude use his tools and get dirty and burn his hand.  $128.13

I surfed ARFCOM and looked in disgust at the Bronco Sport in the showroom.  Plus I'll get some coupons via e-mail.

View Quote

Shop told me $120 full synthetic
I bought my own oil for $37 and filter $16

Did it myself under $60

This is why gthis generation is poor. Always having other people do it for lots of money and can't do anything for themselves
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The good thing about dealer oil changes is they have a record of it being done.

If anything ever goes sideways, they can’t argue it’s because the oil wasn’t changed.

There was a thread on here by someone with a new small model Ford (?)

Anyway, something happened to the engine. He did his own oil changes but couldn’t prove it. They claimed the problem was oil related. I don’t remember how it all turned out. But it was a shitshow.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've seen idiots with either air tools or a big enough yank a wrench strip threads.  

I've seen shitty places hide that fact various ways too.  My Chevelle has one of those self tapping repair plugs in it, that I know who installed back when my grandmother had it serviced.  It just showed up like that at some point. A friend got a car back with the plug RTV'd on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've worked in dealerships for 21 years. I have never seen someone use air tools on a drain plug. I have had Jiffy Lube cars come in with OEM crush washers used over and over for 100k before it finally pulled all the threads out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've worked in dealerships for 21 years. I have never seen someone use air tools on a drain plug. I have had Jiffy Lube cars come in with OEM crush washers used over and over for 100k before it finally pulled all the threads out.
View Quote

had one from firestone 2 weeks ago used the same one so many time no more crush left. broke the pan , thanks for the 18 hours bitches. o wait got to explain it to the dealer haters. when everyone else fucks up it falls in our lap. I've said it before few hundred bucks a year to show your an actual customer you'd be surprised at what they'll help with cost of .
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I don’t know what the 6.7 power stroke is like, but when I had the 7.3 powerstroke it was the easiest vehicle I’ve ever had for doing my own oil change.
It did take a huge amount of oil, But all I had to do was put some cardboard under where I parked it - for me, then the catch basin, and roll under the truck.  No jacks, or ramps.  
Simple.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Dealer wants $200 to change the oil in my BMW. I do it for about $50.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I dont have a diesel but I change my own because it takes way longer to drive to the place, wait and drive home than it does to do it myself. So I do it myself because I am lazy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't know what the 6.7 power stroke is like, but when I had the 7.3 powerstroke it was the easiest vehicle I've ever had for doing my own oil change.
It did take a huge amount of oil, But all I had to do was put some cardboard under where I parked it - for me, then the catch basin, and roll under the truck.  No jacks, or ramps.  
Simple.
View Quote

Mine would be super easy.  Tall enough that you can get a 5 gallon bucket and yourself under it without effort.

But I'll still take it to the dealer.  $20-$30 over what the supplies cost me?  Deal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mine would be super easy.  Tall enough that you can get a 5 gallon bucket and yourself under it without effort.

But I'll still take it to the dealer.  $20-$30 over what the supplies cost me?  Deal.
View Quote

Do you not value your time?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's part of the reason I didn't go with a 6.7 in my 250. The '18 Duramax was about 140 at the dealership for oil and filters.
View Quote
I can have the oil & filter dropped off on my porch then change it in my '18 duramax for about $45. And spend less time than it would take me to drive anywhere to get it done, not to mention, sign in/pay and the wait.

I guess anyone that can't do it in less time than paying someone else to should take it in and have it done.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you not value your time?
View Quote

Most don't.  I have three vehicles that take about 20 minutes a piece to change.  My daughters' vehicles both take about 30 minutes each because of cartridge filters.  There is no way I am going somewhere, waiting, getting it changed and coming back home in less than an hour, best case.  And I know it is done right when I do it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#36]
People complaining about the price probably drive Yugo's, or are just poor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#37]
My Ford dealer charges $5.00 more than it would cost me to DIY so I take it to them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Most don't.  I have three vehicles that take about 20 minutes a piece to change.  My daughters' vehicles both take about 30 minutes each because of cartridge filters.  There is no way I am going somewhere, waiting, getting it changed and coming back home in less than an hour, best case.  And I know it is done right when I do it.

View Quote

Absolutely.

I can rotate the tires and change the oil on my truck while drinking a couple beers quicker than it would take to just drive to the dealer and back. Not including whatever time I’d have to wait there
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Unless you’re driving something like a Maybach. You definitely think you’re more important than you really are in life!!

View Quote

Stop being poor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Did you expect them to do it for free?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m glad you trust your Ford dealer to not be completely retarded.

I don’t have that luxury.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#42]
This thread and other women telling me horror stories on how the mechanic didn't put the oil screw or filter back on tight and pouring the wrong fluids in oil reservoir is why I do my own oil...

You'd think something so simple couldn't be f'd up, but nah....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#43]
110 for just my oil and fuel filters. (OE off amazon)
3-400 dollars at dealer. Oil and fuel every 15k. I can do it myself for 200. Lube tech isn't gonna want to pull my oil samples to send off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Gloves, rags, etc.
View Quote

Oil disposal, environmental fees
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I took mine to get changed until the warranty ran out (oil changes were covered under the warranty). After that, I started doing it myself.

I changed my oil a couple weeks ago. It cost me $43.91 for the oil and filter. And it took me about 15 minutes (including setup and getting all necessary tools and supplies). I can't get it done for that cheap or that quickly at any place around here. Plus, I don't mind doing it. I know what's going in it and that the filter is new.

2011 F150
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#46]
10,000 mile oil changes, $90 with 9 quarts of synthetic oil and a tire rotation. Oh poor me, I have to roll out of bed an hour early on Saturday morning every 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I don’t like putting trust in other people to do work correctly on my vehicles. I would rather not deal with anyone, jam music in my garage, drink beer whenever I want, and work on my own shit.

Just did a oil change, fuel filter, and tire rotation on the duramax for right at $79 in about 1.5hrs
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20210119-160151_png-1786970.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20210119-160226_png-1786974.JPG

DIY? $105.44 with a couple of excess quarts to use on the next change or toss in the toolbox.

Or I can show up with no appointment, wait 1h19m and let some dude use his tools and get dirty and burn his hand.  $128.13

I surfed ARFCOM and looked in disgust at the Bronco Sport in the showroom.  Plus I'll get some coupons via e-mail.

View Quote

Probably been pointed out already, but that oil is $18.68 from Walmart.  So you're a bad shopper too. Hopefully your husband doesn't find out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Your husband could have done it himself cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20210119-160226_png-

1786974.JPG

View Quote

That’s rapey.  Local Ford dealer is $70 for oil and filter for my 2017 6.7.  That’s doing it myself, but still.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top