Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why is that?
Over the last year every time we started up the printing press the market went up
Every time there was a hiccup in negotiations on stimulus press to crank up the market went down
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The stock market isn't instantly gonna tank. Biden is friends with Wall Street too. You jumped too soon. When he starts printing money, then be worried.

Why is that?
Over the last year every time we started up the printing press the market went up
Every time there was a hiccup in negotiations on stimulus press to crank up the market went down

That will work until the world gets sick of buying our debt.  Bond yields are moving up, if they get too high, the bond market will effectively take away the .gov's credit card.  That will probably be ugly if it happens as .gov is relying on low debt rates to keep financing their spending spree.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I can understand cashing out if you planning to use the money to buy something or retiring now?

Stocks go up over the long run, let it ride if you don't need it
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can understand cashing out if you planning to use the money to buy something or retiring now?

Stocks go up over the long run, let it ride if you don't need it
View Quote

I love when folks say “always good to take profit or money off the table”.

No it’s not a good idea, it’s fucking stupid and a sure fire way to kill your long term returns and compounding.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread is not the entertainment I deserve, but it's the entertainment I needed. Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was up 500% at one point last year; ended the year up 300% (ty NVAX). I actually considered dumping today too...
View Quote

I'd tell you what I'm up right now on a rolling year, but you probably wouldn't believe me. Couple of other guys here are way up on that...

Index funds make a great core holding. Couple of actively managed sector funds add a little spice, and if you're good at extrapolating from policy decisions and current events can be very profitable - if you're not greedy.  

Oddly, Buffett's #2 says you'll never get rich from diversification, it'll only come from individual equities... he says cut your losers ruthlessly and ride the hell out of the two or three winners you may be blessed by over the course of your investing life.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd tell you what I'm up right now on a rolling year, but you probably wouldn't believe me. Couple of other guys here are way up on that...

Index funds make a great core holding. Couple of actively managed sector funds add a little spice, and if you're good at extrapolating from policy decisions and current events can be very profitable - if you're not greedy.  

Oddly, Buffett's #2 says you'll never get rich from diversification, it'll only come from individual equities... he says cut your losers ruthlessly and ride the hell out of the two or three winners you may be blessed by over the course of your investing life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was up 500% at one point last year; ended the year up 300% (ty NVAX). I actually considered dumping today too...

I’ve held my rockstar Apple for a long time, only selling when I was forced to.  Sector wise tech has been incredible.

Diversification is good, but man I got nervous when just a few stocks were dominating over 60%. I love risk, but that was too much.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
But it’s not Monday. Try this on for size. ESG Investing and stop being ignorant. Big Tech And BANKS Love BIDEN.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But it’s not Monday. Try this on for size. ESG Investing and stop being ignorant. Big Tech And BANKS Love BIDEN.
View Quote

My greatest concern is his capital gains tax plans that would trigger as massive sell off.

Not from investors panicking. But they would do so because it’s in their best interests for tax planning purposes.  Tax the smaller tax hit and reset basis cost.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I probably would move $$$ from Oil to something else too. But your OP made it seem like you pulled your retirement funds out of the stock market expecting it to tank.

It's only $1000, put it into some volatile stocks and have fun...
View Quote

I'm about to make some bets into oil.

I can see it going way up under a Biden admin. Regulation be damned when nothing else really works
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Stonks can crash up

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks i needed a chuckle
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:20:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Forgot to take out the capital gains tax you will pay on it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:37:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was heavily invested in oil companies.  I feel as though now is the right time to get out of that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was heavily invested in oil companies.  I feel as though now is the right time to get out of that.

It probably is, but get back in if Exxon hits 45.65 or lower in the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:47:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Hope they weren’t Garand Stocks, shame to hear they went to the dumps. Any tigers in that. Dang it man send me pm or something next time .
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#16]
My late Aunt Agnes had uncanny ability to sell all of her stocks at the worst times.  My mom used to say "When Agnes sells everything, that's a strong BUY signal!"
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My late Aunt Agnes had uncanny ability to sell all of her stocks at the worst times.  My mom used to say "When Agnes sells everything, that's a strong BUY signal!"
View Quote

I like to say when others panic sell, I panic buy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Looking WAY down the road I put a tidy sum in Rare Earth Metals today. REMX & URA were the picks. I may be crazy but these are multi year holds for us. It appears to me that with China being the BIG player in that space we could very well be held hostage leaving the few players other than China in that space as potential winners for us.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Thought this was going to be a braced pistol thread
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude, I just realized about $2,500 gain from Ford today alone (short term play)

Unrealized gain of about $40,000 from Ford alone from last year made 200%.

Made only 10%

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top