User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$1000 == "heavily invested."

View Quote

I guess reading comprehension is for losers.

I said heavily invested (that $1000 of play money) in oil companies.  Not heavily invested in general.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Invest in solar

They are going to get billions from this administration
View Quote

This move alone is going to make us very, very weak and China very strong.
They will control our domestic energy generation.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Time to reinvest it in Sears
View Quote

Radio Shack seems to be on the verge of a comeback too.  But it doesn't seem to be traded on any exchanges at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

:facepalm:

That's almost as dumb as asking GD for financial advice.
View Quote

Its worth asking though, right?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL bet OP reinvests his money by the end of the week!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What sort of impact do you expect the Green New Deal to have on oil companies?

Note I said oil companies, not oil commodities.
View Quote

Don't even bother with the Green New Deal.  What you SHOULD be considering for future returns is the Soylent Green New Deal.

https://www.businessinsider.com/washington-state-human-compost-bodies-into-soil-2019-5
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I think oil has potential.  Democrats cracking down on oil always drives up the prices, and now is a pretty good time to buy.  Another one I’m looking at is certain coal companies.  Some super wealthy democrats bought up ARCH and other companies after Obama tanked them.  If they are serious about pushing electric vehicles dollar isn’t going to touch that demand.  Only oil coal and nuclear can right now, and I don’t see any new nukes in process.
View Quote

I have no doubt oil commodities have potential.  I believe oil prices will skyrocket under the Green New Deal once it is implemented; and I believe it will be implemented.  But part of that deal will be increased regulations and taxes on oil companies.  How is this going to help their stock value?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish there was an option other than the stock market for those of us with 20-30 years to go.

In it for the long haul.
View Quote

Machine guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To be clear, I only used $1000 to "play" in the stock market.  I've got assets elsewhere (Mutual Funds, etc) I'm not touching.
View Quote

Mutual Funds ,aside from bond funds, ARE the stock market.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Are there funds that short the market overall?  Not talking about hedge funds or niche stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Oil stocks will finally begin to rise again but growth is much better and more reliable with just about any blue chip tech stock. My TSM buy from March of last year has absolutely blown any petro stocks out of the water, and that's not even a risky tech company.

Don't let you're ideology determine your investment decisions; no one has to agree with it but the economy was collapsed by the government and all of the growth and reinvestment has been eaten up by tech. Much of the old economy is practically stagnant.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are there funds that short the market overall?  Not talking about hedge funds or niche stuff.
View Quote

Yes. Leveraged shorts. As much risk as you want.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shorting IS a hedge.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
10%?????

You serious clark?

I hope you did better over the last year.
View Quote

I was able to retire early because my investments did well and I'm not that aggressive anymore due to my age.

I expect prices to go up so I'm going to make an appointment to increase my distribution.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lol
View Quote

indeed.

the market probably likes biden. the market likes stability, known parameters, which biden is and trump was not. was trump good for the market? yes. will biden be bad? probably not immediately.

what else is gonna happen? covid will have less of an impact this year. i expect the market to be good as folks rejoin the workforce and folks come out hiding. thats this year...

long term? thats an uknown.

regardless i dont try to predict the market. i income average in and dont panic with the market tanks, nor get greedy when things are going good. long term this has played out well for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How about 401ks? Liquidate and pay the premium? Or hold and wait till confiscated?
View Quote

401k's are essentially the stock market, depending on how your portfolio is distributed.

You can redistribute your 401k, you don't need to liquidate it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that going forward if you want to post in an investment thread you should be required to state how long you have been in the market.

Me, 34 years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#18]
lol doomers
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To be clear, I only used $1000 to "play" in the stock market.  I've got assets elsewhere (Mutual Funds, etc) I'm not touching.
View Quote

Well there's your problem, your "playing" not investing.

Did you know mutual funds are also the stock market too?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Money printing will raise the market, not crash it.

However, Glorious Comrade Xiden may decide to just sieze your assets.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was heavily invested in oil companies.  I feel as though now is the right time to get out of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was heavily invested in oil companies.  I feel as though now is the right time to get out of that.

Do you think oil prices will go up or down during Biden's administration?

Think about it for second.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
A relative came in last night with half a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs.   This is very unusual.  He said do you need anything else?

Apparently the country was going to shut down at 8pm.   Banks and stores closed and no internet or news for 2 weeks.  

He decided about 9pm it had been rescheduled to 8pm this morning.   Must have been a full 24 hour delay.   Sneaky Democrats.

Make sure you have eggs OP.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This just showed you have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about.  What do you think your mutual funds are invested in? THE STOCK MARKET.

And $1000?!  LOL.  Do NOT give investment advice ever. Bragging about a 10% return in last years market? Another indicator of your immeasurable financial ignorance.

WHY WOULD YOU GIVE INVESTMENT ADVICE?  You have zero experience or knowledge on the subject. Why on earth would you think you are qualified at all?  JFC....
View Quote

But these are the types of threads that make GD fun.

I also liked the thread where people discussed that they didn't know mercury is the planet closest to the sun. It started out as a dig about people's spouses but it backfired.

Funny. Embarrassing too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Good for you!

10% ya say...??
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not going to invest in anything else at the current market "high".  I'll wait until it drops then buy in on the cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you not putting it into somthing else?

Not going to invest in anything else at the current market "high".  I'll wait until it drops then buy in on the cheap.

Good thing you know when that is because nobody on Wallstreet seems to have the market clocked like you do.

Every DJIA value between 0 and 30,000 was an all time high at some point.  "All time high" means nothing in terms of providing useful forward looking insight.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I wish there was an option other than the stock market for those of us with 20-30 years to go.

In it for the long haul.
View Quote

There's plenty of options.  The stock market just happens to be a low effort option.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well keeping those assets safely in those mutual funds away from the markets is an excellent plan. Should be totally safe from the market tanking.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Threads like this remind me why Dave Ramsey will always have a place in (some) household finances.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think oil prices will skyrocket under Biden.

But do you expect the value of oil companies to go up or down when new taxes and regulations are put on them?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

But do you expect the value of oil companies to go up or down when new taxes and regulations are put on them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will all be worked into the price at the pump.  The real question is are they going to sell more or less oil gas going forward?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I made 28% in the last 12 months. I’m not dumping shit.
View Quote

This. 30.7% here
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good for you!

10% ya say...??
View Quote

I'm learning very quickly that everyone in GD makes at least 500% on their investments.  And they have millions to invest, at least 2 yachts, 5 houses, a Lamborghini & a Ferrari.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#33]
So what are you gonna do with that $100 in gains?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Do not take financial advice from op
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So what are you gonna do with that $100 in gains?
View Quote

Maybe invest it in fidget spinners.  I have a feeling those will become very popular again since conservatives won't have anything to do once they are kicked off of the internet and their guns are taken away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I am up 64% last year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do not take financial advice from op
View Quote

I wasn't aware I was giving it.

Good grief, people.  It was just $1000 of play money to screw around with and certainly not my life savings.  Some of you take this too seriously.

The sad thing is I would have gotten much more praise from GD if I would have pissed $1000 away on hookers and blow and posted the story here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm learning very quickly that everyone in GD makes at least 500% on their investments.  And they have millions to invest, at least 2 yachts, 5 houses, a Lamborghini & a Ferrari.
View Quote
To be fair, you didn't beat the market.

My rate of return on a large cap index fund last year ended up at 21%...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Taking financial advice on investments from GD is like having a board with all the choices in blocks on a board and monkeys slinging their poo at the board. Where the poo hits there are your picks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Now?  Just as oil prices are on the rise?
View Quote

Not OP but I have concerns about regulation and demand over the long term.  Oil's a tough sell even with rising prices.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The stock market isn't instantly gonna tank. Biden is friends with Wall Street too. You jumped too soon. When he starts printing money, then be worried.
View Quote

When he starts printing money, I'd rather have my assets in stocks than cash....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
40,000 by 2025.
View Quote

I'd love to believe this but there's going to be so much interference from D.C. that I think 40k is a pipe dream for this decade.

I hope I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#45]
LOL

I'm up 200+% today on BLSP

My average return for 2020 was just over 70%

Green energy baby, it's on the way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Invest in solar

They are going to get billions from this administration
View Quote

Any companies you have in mind to check out ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#47]
I agree with you OP. I sold several of my single stocks a month ago and am not looking back.

I have some apple stock and royal carribean that I'm holding onto for now but looking for an "out".

I have mutual funds that I'm currently investing in long term and don't plan to sell that.

The single stocks are just for fun. I'm not going to risk it staying in with that money because I do believe the political climate and economy is volatile at the moment and that the government is off its rockers stupid.

We could be wrong about the next coming weeks or months but as they say you can't time the market and the market is back at the all time high territory so its all good. I'm not greedy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Hhmmm, my personal shit was up 58% + for 2020. Kind of wish I was in the State of FL investment plan rather than DROP and the defined monthly pension which accrues a measly 4% per year in interest & cola.

Still, it's going to buy a 4x4 side by side and trailer and pay off my truck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now?  Just as oil prices are on the rise?

I doubt they are passing green new deal with a 50/50 senate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I must be missing something. You DUMPED all your oil stocks that you bought for $1000 and earned $100. How many different stocks and shares did you get for $1000?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top