BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So it's mostly the looks that are not garbage?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks mostly.  I like getting rid of as much of the old garbage as I possibly can, but retain the looks.

Old cars are largely garbage.

So it's mostly the looks that are not garbage?

Correct.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Correct.
View Quote

I guess I can put you down in the not an old car guy column
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

Why??

I like them, Hell I am building a 65 Ford F-100 right now (Twin Turbo Coyote). I Sold a 68 Charger I built a couple years ago.  I like old cars, but I am able to see the massive disparity between them and modern cars in almost every category. I have enough money into my 65 F-100 that I could have purchased a nice used Audi R8 instead.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
By older I mean before 2010.
Not so much automatic bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a ‘69 Grand Prix that needs a lot of work. It is just something that my son and I can tinker with when we get bored.
I do like the old cars because you get out what you put into them. Todays cars are easily upgraded by a chip or program and I don’t find that very rewarding.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm quite sure that vintage vehicles are (compared to new cars) a pain in the ass to live with every day, are slower, and are much less safe.

But they look and sound a million times better, and (when everything is working properly) they're more fun to drive.  

I'd buy a car that had the looks, sound, and general handling characteristics (wallowy though they may be) of a 1970 Dodge Charger, but the reliability and safety of a 5 year old Camry, in a heartbeat.  But those two things are either mutually exclusive, or prohibitively expensive
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it for investment? Nostalgia? Showing off? Appreciation of history?, maybe just the challage of your mechanical ability ?
View Quote

NO! No. Maybe? Yes. YES!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm quite sure that vintage vehicles are (compared to new cars) a pain in the ass to live with every day, are slower, and are much less safe.

But they look and sound a million times better, and (when everything is working properly) they're more fun to drive.  

I'd buy a car that had the looks, sound, and general handling characteristics (wallowy though they may be) of a 1970 Dodge Charger, but the reliability and safety of a 5 year old Camry, in a heartbeat.  But those two things are either mutually exclusive, or prohibitively expensive
View Quote

You would be surprised, I took care of a collection over a 20 year period, and they where very little trouble, several were plenty fast enough to get in trouble with, all pre war.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Simplicity
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Aesthetics, uniqueness (not another generic CUV blending in), performance, simplicity.
And some nostalgia.

I was driven home from the hospital in a light blue 67 Buick special 4 door. I barely remember the car as it succumb to the east coast rust monster when I was about 4-5.
Coincidentally, my wife was driving a light blue, 4 door 67 Buick Special. Her great grandmother bought the car brand new and passed it down to her when she hung up the keys.
It is sitting in my shop.

When I was a teenager in the late 80s/early 90s, most of the cool kids (and not so cool ones) had 80s Toyota 4x4s. Right after I graduated I bought one and have owned at least one (including the original) ever since.

My grandfather in law had an 87 2wd toyota and when he decided it was time to stop driving, he had me come get "the little truck" up and running (it had been sitting for a few years). I had done a lot of the maintenance on it for him over the years so I got it running, brought it home, serviced it, got it shined up and brought it back to him.
He had me call my wife to come over and whens he showed up he signed the title over to her.
He passed away about a year later and every week I take his dog for a ride in his truck for him.

I love cars and the stories that they can represent.

ETA: I am a horrible car guy, I appreciate pretty much all things car. I have no brand or style loyalty and while I own what I own, it doesn't mean I don't respect or like what others have. I have no interest in ever owning a brass era car but I can really appreciate them for what they are. Likewise with traditional style lowriders. Would never own one but I enjoy seeing them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm kinda partial to resto mods. Kind of the best of both worlds IMO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75/48C29606-2574-480D-94EA-C1392FEA9453-1348342.jpg
View Quote
I agree. My 1972 two wheel drive Blazer project!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Mainly looks partly simplicity partly nostalgia. If I were wealthy I would have a pile of older American cars. Finally got ahold of a early Bronco and would love to have a 79 250 or 350 to go with it but that's looking less and less likely.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
94 Ranger Splash 5spd is a fucking hoot to drive. Nothing works but the gas, brakes, crank windows, and lights.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]

I don't recall Blazers sporting a double wishbone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
My hobby is 60's motorcycles. Carburetors, points, and drum brakes. They'll just always "feel right" to me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Nostalgia mostly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it for investment? Nostalgia? Showing off? Appreciation of history?, maybe just the challage of your mechanical ability ?
View Quote

What about just because I like them?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What about just because I like them?
View Quote

Probably the most succinct answer, but I was just looking for opinions and I just like old cars too
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I like old(er) vehicles because they're more readily available with a manual transmission.

My dream vehicle is a crewcab square body, with a 12 valve cummins and a manual transmission.

Parts are readily available and, like anything, routine maintenance makes them reliable.

Cabin noise doesn't bother me and neither does the lack of modern safety nannies/features.

I'm 33, if it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I like the whole old car experience. I currently own these.

Just bought this one. It’s the third CUCV I’ve owned. I completely restored the last one and then quit driving it because it was too nice to use as a truck. This one will be left alone cosmetically but it’s getting a built aluminum head, fuel injected 383 and an under dash air unit. I’m planning on adding IR lights and driving it for night vision hunts and such.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
They make for fun Saturday nights

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Simplicity. The ability to repair without proprietary tools for the most part. The lesser amount of nanny state bs and emissions controls
View Quote

This.

A <100pc tool set behind the rear seat and you can have most old trucks torn down to the frame on the side of the road if you wanted to

I hate the computers, electronics, nanny BS, and especially emissions...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Something that always fascinated me with car guys is that there are 2 types, the ones that take an old car and modify it to be a new car and the ones that stick with what's existing and repair/restore it
View Quote
There's a third kind.  Drive it shitty
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:01:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm kinda partial to resto mods. Kind of the best of both worlds IMO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75/48C29606-2574-480D-94EA-C1392FEA9453-1348342.jpg
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Because they are simple to work on and those goddamn plastic clips and connectors that get hot and fatigue over the years so that when I touch them they disintegrate.

ETA They also look great. Even an old Dodge has some style, and look at them now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Cheap entry point and fun family project.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Cause fuck DEF since pre ‘07
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:20:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I have an old classic truck with a new, modern motor.

The new motor was cool at first, but it kind of killed the excitement for me. I havent driven it in more than a year. I'd sell it, but its a family heirloom.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Yes if you are 290lbs it’s probably going to suck.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:29:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have to ask this question the simple answer is you don’t get it
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:47:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Is this where the addiction support group meets?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you have to ask this question the simple answer is you don’t get it
View Quote

That's actually pretty funny
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#33]
I like them because they are time machines.
Back when you didn't have all of the luxuries or money that you have now.
The cars actually say something about the person who ordered it.
For example, the 60 Impala convertible with a straight six and no radio.
The owner wanted a convertible, but couldn't afford the other things.  

I finished my '66 Mustang fastback in August, and with few exceptions, it's the way someone would have done it in the 60's.
289, manual transmission, no power steering, no radio, with Shelby wheels and sway bar that could be bought over the counter.
Minimalist is good.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes if you are 290lbs it's probably going to suck.
View Quote
If you are 200lbs it still sucks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Older cars were envisioned by artists, where is new car shapes are dictated by a wind tunnel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Older cars were envisioned by artists, where is new car shapes are dictated by a wind tunnel.
View Quote

And pedestrian survival standards.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Nostalgia is the primary reason.  I bought the car I wanted 25 years ago but couldn't remotely afford at the time.

However older cars have an analog feel that is hard to replicate in today's drive by wire world.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Styling and simplicity
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I love the simplicity and purposeful engineering of the older stuff, but I'm not married to keeping it classic, or restomodding it to death. I'm somewhere in between.

I did a complete tear down and part by part restoration of my '49 Ford tractor just because I could.

I'm currently in the midst of a body off resto on my classic FJ, but I'm going to be doing an EFI conversion and a number of modern upgrades as she goes back together.

I'm even one of those dang millennials everyone says can't do shit anymore .
View Quote

@Kanati are you doing a build thread on that FJ anywhere? Fellow technically inclined millennial here... a swapped FJ build is something I am extremely interested in tackling at some point.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Kanati are you doing a build thread on that FJ anywhere? Fellow technically inclined millennial here... a swapped FJ build is something I am extremely interested in tackling at some point.
View Quote

I've been meaning to do a build thread on mud, but I've been too busy to sit down and put it together.

I'm trying to keep things looking pretty original, as it's cherry, but I'm doing a Holley Sniper as part of my semi resto.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nostalgia is the primary reason.  I bought the car I wanted 25 years ago but couldn't remotely afford at the time.

However older cars have an analog feel that is hard to replicate in today's drive by wire world.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/228120/nsx_saughty_-_Copy_JPG-1787964.JPG
View Quote

I’m mostly this but to add...

Happiness and Joy.

People have associations with old cars that make them smile just seeing them.

Not envy. Not jealousy. Happiness and Joy. I remember... My Uncle/Dad had... In High School I had... I got to ride in/drive one like this once...

Old cars bring me Happiness and Joy too.

Except for the one in your post

Although, if I found an NSX that had been raced/damaged/modified, so I wouldn’t feel so bad about replacing the seats, I’d buy one. As a stable mate.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Speed, safety and performance is not everything, it's nice but not everything a car is about
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I like having a mechanically unreliable, technologically obsolete, car that is overweight, underpowered, lacks life saving safety innovations, has little to no practical value, always has something wrong with it, and will grant me no warning before it puts me on the side of the road.

Dont know why you would even have to ask.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Pure nostalgia... 20 years ago, it was performance. I don’t even try to keep up in the modern horsepower wars
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I like having a mechanically unreliable, technologically obsolete, car that is overweight, underpowered, lacks life saving safety innovations, has little to no practical value, always has something wrong with it, and will grant me no warning before it puts me on the side of the road.

Dont know why you would even have to ask.
View Quote

Sounds like a yugo
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#46]

older cars have more appeal to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#47]
No sat. link / cell connection.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Because now I can start affording the cars I thought were cool as a kid/teenager
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Sounds like a yugo
View Quote

It was a 79 Corvette.

Same difference
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was a 79 Corvette.

Same difference
View Quote

I like vehicles considerably older than that
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top