Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm kinda partial to resto mods. Kind of the best of both worlds IMO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75/48C29606-2574-480D-94EA-C1392FEA9453-1348342.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

Here is what I am driving today.

LT4 under the hood.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
there is certain point that a product reaches its maximum effectiveness at doing what its designed to do.

A can opener works and only can be made so much better at opening cans. Once that point is reached plating it with gold and adding diamond studs does nothing to its effectiveness.

We have passed maximum effectiveness with vehicles.

A simple easy to maintain, drive and operate vehicle that does everything it needs to do is something to appreciate.

So yes, I like old cars/trucks, newer one have too much unnecessary bling and crap that I neither want or need.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Not my car, but had one like this. Drive one hour, repair for two hours. Cotton covered wires, leaky, but a ton of fun to drive.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not overly old at 2003 but...........

Only 18k miles and the passenger seats had not been sat on yet !

Not a collectible model by any means.

But paid for in cash sohttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168273/20200924_102253_jpg-1786419.JPG no debt and will probably be still running strong when I am dead and buried.

It is clean, fairly anonymous ( more so once I fit wheel trims ) comfortable and easy to get spare parts for.

There is a minimum of computer nonsense fitted.

I feel confident it would hold up well in most collisions too, compared to most sedans.

I guess I am a minimalist.

If someone was building a 2021 Crown Victoria using the same specs as back in 2003, I would buy one.

View Quote

Panthers need side exit exhaust
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Only poor people buy new vehicles
View Quote

If I'd acquired the level of wealth to spend my time as i please, a portion of that budgeted time would be spent wrenching on and using older vehicles. Mostly old trucks and one or two in the stable would be low and fast cars.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it for investment? Nostalgia? Showing off? Appreciation of history?, maybe just the challage of your mechanical ability ?
View Quote

Borderline religious to me

To me cars are the embodiment of self propelled Serenity and Bliss
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep a vehicle, generally, 20 years. New vehicles with all the electronics would be a nightmare to keep everything functional.
I'm about finished with redoing my 97 Suburban. Swapped in a mildly built 5.9 12valve Cummins, one ton axles, and nv4500 stickshift trans. It's a completely rust free Az vehicle, so should last me a long time. Less than 10k total in it.
Son and I swapped a wildly built 5.9 Cummins into his 93 S-10.  It'll do a funny car style burnout AND get 34mpg on the interstate at 70mpg.
Also have a 72 Bronco with a 3.9 Cummins in it, but prob wont finish it until after I retire. Old vehicles are pretty basic as far as working on them. New stuff, you can't do much, not without a lot of electronic equipment. Hell, most dealerships can't fix problems on the first try, if ever.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Borderline religious to me

To me cars are the embodiment of self propelled Serenity and Bliss
View Quote

The zen of cars, I understand the best one I remember is jumping in to a blower Bentley firing it up is almost like an airplane as well as driving it
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Rotary guys are a species unto themselves
View Quote

we are called rotards for a reason
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Been a car guy all my life.  I was a paint and body guy up until I hit about 30 and had a career change.  I did many restorations and builds for others, and I wanted to do one last build for myself. Of course it's why I have my screen name here and other places.
1999:

Somewhere in time:

6 years ago at a show:

Today:

In 2014 I bought my 2015 Mustang GT and lost all interest in finishing this one out.  The pic up on the stands is me fixing a mistake I made during the build. Bought bad parts, bad design installed, etc.   I've reached the age where I'm starting to just not give a shit about it anymore.  Knees giving out, etc.  Just yesterday I about busted my ass when my left knee gave out climbing into the '15 due to tight clearance with a huge ass door needing to swing open and couldn't. Put all my weight on left leg and knee said fuck you.
I told the wife I'm finishing up the '66 and if the burning desire is gone, it is too.  Hell, cars like this were bringing 6 figures at Mecum last weekend.  It might be time.  I'll probably let the '15 go as well and get a new Honda Pilot.  Wife has one, I love it.  Cars like this are work, hard work. It is a labor of love, but I'm ready for retirement and just cannot see pushing myself to working on things I seem to have lost the enjoyment to.
My youngest son is into cars big time.  I see the passion he has and remember when I had it.  We get together now and its all he wants to talk about and I do my best to change the subject. Of course all I hear from him is twinturboLS9inch4:11CoyoteT-56CobraLamboBugattiBentlyblablabla... Sometimes he won't slow down and listen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I enjoy the mechanical aspect....

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The look and my wife wants something old to drive around on Sundays. Last week I went and looked at a 1952 Chevy 1430. It ran and was only $5k, but I couldn't pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The look and my wife wants something old to drive around on Sundays. Last week I went and looked at a 1952 Chevy 1430. It ran and was only $5k, but I couldn't pull the trigger.
View Quote

Good wife if she could drive a big truck like that
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not so much that I like old cars, as much as I hate how disconnected the driving experience has become. I like feedback through the steering wheel, unfiltered throttle input, etc.

Unless I'm driving twelve hours, then I'll take every modem amenity and comfort I can get. Nothing wears you out like road noise and bad ergonomics.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's not so much that I like old cars, as much as I hate how disconnected the driving experience has become. I like feedback through the steering wheel, unfiltered throttle input, etc.

Unless I'm driving twelve hours, then I'll take every modem amenity and comfort I can get. Nothing wears you out like road noise and bad ergonomics.
View Quote

You should try a brass car on a long tour, makes you appreciate power steering and brakes not to mention a electric engine start, going down steep hills with only rear brakes is a hoot
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Since I retired I've had 7 "toys" and most have been old cars.  I did have a couple of late model Corvettes and a late model Shelby Mustang but the late model stuff lacks the
soul of the old stuff.  I guess these days some of it is also a form of escapism as in a brief return to better times whenever driving/working on the old cars.  I'll likely keep at it until I die since after being in the car business my entire life its kind of in my blood.

Latest is another first gen Camaro that's old school:
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm kinda partial to resto mods. Kind of the best of both worlds IMO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/75/48C29606-2574-480D-94EA-C1392FEA9453-1348342.jpg
View Quote

I LOVE everything about your car.

Nicely done, sir!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#18]
character.

I want to make a lifted hot rod out of a late 40's DeSoto Suburban
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
character.

View Quote

That would be cool, especially if 4WD
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Because new cars look like crap generallyAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Is it for investment? Nostalgia? Showing off? Appreciation of history?, maybe just the challage of your mechanical ability ?
View Quote

Depends on what you mean by "old".  

Every vehicles I own is at least 10 yrs old, the oldest being 17.  I work on my own stuff, so I can get older vehicles for dirt cheap, and push them well over 200K miles with no major issues.  Much less emissions and computer issues.....

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Old cars have style and character. New cars are nothing but soulless appliances.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Nostalgia - I'm old enough to remember when people still drove cars from the 20's and 30's.  Usually older couples who went out for the classic and typical "Sunday drive".
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#25]
This is my Daily.  Has been since 1990.  I have newer cars but something is just right about it.  
60hp to the rear wheels but will out corner almost anything on the road thats factory Stock.   You have to drive this car not just ride along.  And you can use 100% of the cars potential without breaking the law.  Attachment Attached File

There is something very relaxing about the feel of manual steering and brakes that really emphasizes the driving experience.  
 Attachment Attached File

I love to work on and preserve the old stuff for future generations to enjoy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Every vehicles I own is at least 10 yrs old, the oldest being 17.  I work on my own stuff, so I can get older vehicles for dirt cheap, and push them well over 200K miles with no major issues.  Much less emissions and computer issues.....

View Quote

I consider old as 1880s through 1980s, about a 100 year stretch
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I just enjoy the challenge of bringing something back to life.  Like working on a tough jig saw puzzle.  

Another part is doing stuff that borderlines between an impressive skill and being batshit crazy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:25:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats only becuase you work on cars from the 30s and 20s all-day  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thats only becuase you work on cars from the 30s and 20s all-day  
View Quote

Not so much any more, earliest was 1886, oldest up to the start of electronics, I really have a deep seated dislike of electronics
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#30]
69 C20 292 straight 6 master race checking in.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
character.

That would definitely be the plan.

The problem is I have none of the money, tools, or knowledge to even start such a project.

Thankfully I have family who can help with the last two. Just need some money...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't, for the most part.

I owned a bunch of cool old cars in the 90's but I was poor and they were all tons of work, unreliable rusty old things.

I'd love to find a clean 50's pickup and put a modern chassis under it though, might really get serious about looking for one here soon when my other projects get caught up.

I kind of expect that sort of thing to get easier as the old guys who remember them being new die off, hot rods and even muscle cars are mostly an old guy hobby now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That would definitely be the plan.

The problem is I have none of the money, tools, or knowledge to even start such a project.

Thankfully I have family who can help with the last two. Just need some money...
View Quote

It's one of the best ways to learn
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't, for the most part.

I owned a bunch of cool old cars in the 90's but I was poor and they were all tons of work, unreliable rusty old things.

I'd love to find a clean 50's pickup and put a modern chassis under it though, might really get serious about looking for one here soon when my other projects get caught up.

I kind of expect that sort of thing to get easier as the old guys who remember them being new die off, hot rods and even muscle cars are mostly an old guy hobby now.
View Quote

Some of the most reliable cars I know of are very old, the problem usually is when someone gets one already broken down and worn out and comes away with a bad experience from them
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I like and hate at times stone age electronics
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I just like them. Mostly Japanese and pre-2000. Old/Oddball American stuff like Studebaker, AMC, Nash. Pre-1965 stuff.

Camaros/Mustangs/Chevelles don't do anything for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

All electronics are witchery and the people that make them should be tied to a dunking chair and dipped to see if they float or sink
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Rarity,  nostalgia, aesthetics, craftsmanship of a bygone era. Same reason old guns are cool. There are more practical options new but old sure is cool.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]
It's nostalgia for me.  I grew up in the 80s and have a fondness for vehicles of that era.  I love wrenching on them and hanging out with my car friends.

Two of my vehicles I currently own.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pride.  It’s something that I personally resurrected from the ground up.  
With the exception of squirting the paint, I’ve done everything.  Including installation of my first (and last) headliner

And, it’s never ‘done’.  There’s always something to tune/adjust/clean/polish, etc.
Which for me, is part of the enjoyment.  

Aaaaaand then comes the ego part.  EVERY time out of the garage, some stranger pulls up along side and says ‘nice car!’
View Quote

This.
+ I like building things the exact way I want to build them, not to anyone's standards but my own, and any flaws will be my own.  And by "build" I don't mean buying everything from a catalog.
I have no desire whatsoever to buy a newer car and throw some bolt on whatevers on it.  New cars are everywhere, and boring to me.

Edit: And taking a bone stock showroom new car to a show is lame as fuck.  I knew a guy that entered a 1994 Trans Am a week after he bought it.  I thought; fuck, I can go to any dealership in town and look at new cars.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm currently restoring a rusty 40 year old FIAT that I bought for $450.  I buy 20 gauge steel in sheets and cut, shrink, stretch and weld it until it makes a suitable replacement for the body parts that are not reproduced today. I cut out the bad and butt weld in the new steel.

I like the challenge of reproducing parts that are no longer available.  My next major tool purchase will be an English wheel.

In a couple of years I'll have the body finished.  I still haven't decided what engine it will get.  All I know is that it will probably be a modern 4 cylinder with a turbo.   The interior is gutted, so it is a blank slate.  I'll probably put updated seats in it too.  In the meanwhile the old seats are stored in the attic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All electronics are witchery and the people that make them should be tied to a dunking chair and dipped to see if they float or sink
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have their place at times.

Going from a smog era Japanese carb with 5 miles of vacuum controlled inputs and outputs, designed to be able to compensate for temperature and altitude, while still passing smog, to a modern EFI unit has been a godsend.

I was having to fuck with it every week to find a vacuum leak, or a sticky EGR valve, or a clogged compensation jet, and that is just around here and not having to stop every few thousand feet in elevation out west to adjust something.

The EFI system has been set it and forget it like a Ron Popeil rotisserie.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They have their place at times.

Going from a smog era Japanese carb with 5 miles of vacuum controlled inputs and outputs, designed to be able to compensate for temperature and altitude, while still passing smog, to a modern EFI unit has been a godsend.

I was having to fuck with it every week to find a vacuum leak, or a sticky EGR valve, or a clogged compensation jet, and that is just around here and not having to stop every few thousand feet in elevation out west to adjust something.

The EFI system has been set it and forget it like a Ron Popeil rotisserie.  
View Quote

That's why I like early carbs with a adjustable AF ratio on the wheel or dash
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Aesthetics mostly, I wasn’t around when they were new so there’s no connection there beyond that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I sold my 1960 Austin Healey 3000 when I found out the machine shop I used, list me as an asset on their balance sheet. Just could not afford to keep that car.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Simplicity. The ability to repair without proprietary tools for the most part. The lesser amount of nanny state bs and emissions controls
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks mostly.  I like getting rid of as much of the old garbage as I possibly can, but retain the looks.

Old cars are largely garbage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks mostly.  I like getting rid of as much of the old garbage as I possibly can, but retain the looks.

Old cars are largely garbage.
View Quote

So it's mostly the looks that are not garbage?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#49]
More room in the backseat?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is my Daily.  Has been since 1990.  I have newer cars but something is just right about it.  
60hp to the rear wheels but will out corner almost anything on the road thats factory Stock.   You have to drive this car not just ride along.  And you can use 100% of the cars potential without breaking the law.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/396080/20190605_200112_jpg-1786613.JPG
There is something very relaxing about the feel of manual steering and brakes that really emphasizes the driving experience.  
 https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/396080/20190605_200100_jpg-1786614.JPG
 I love to work on and preserve the old stuff for future generations to enjoy.
View Quote

Im with you.  It not just cars, but old train sets, vintage audio gear, old chain saws, garden tractors, electronic test gear, machinist tooling.  You name it, save it, use it, pass it down.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top