Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Put a 2x4 down with concrete nails where the vehicle should stop.  Use Liquid Nails instead if you are squeamish about putting holes in the floor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I screwed a rubber bumper across the floor where when the front wheels hit it, that's as far as she could go.

View Quote

Sounds like something I would bust my ass on when the car isn't there  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
We  use thick rubber curbs.  I put masking tape around for visual reference to be sure it hasn't been kicked out of place.  They can easily be moved out of the way for projects.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We used a tennis ball attached to a string attached to the ceiling.

Easy peasy.
View Quote

I have this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you have kids, they WILL play with the ball on the string when the vehicle isn't parked in the spot... Mine didn't last long because of the kids. I used foam golf balls instead of tennis balls, because they were cheaper.

View Quote

Dad tried the ball on a string method.  With a couple boys in the house it didn't last long.

Not that it mattered as Mom was incapable of understanding that as soon as the ball touches the windshield, stop.

The method that seemed to work the best was to pile a bunch of junk and old lawnmowers in front of her parking space.  The audible crunching helped.  Have to add more junk every 6 months or so as the pile gets squished.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised no one has suggested the old tennis ball on a string trick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I love the whiffle ball idea instead of the tennis ball, but another vote for the hanging ball. have her sit in the car while you calibrate it so she understands the principle involved.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Hang a tennis ball from the ceiling on a piece of twine positioned so it taps the inward-facing window when she backs up far enough...

ETA I guess I should read threads before answering
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Board on the floor.  My wife's stall has one and it works awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just joined the minivan club. I need something to keep her parking where she clears the garage door, and where the rear hatch can open up. There is about 6"' of wiggle room to achieve this.

Been looking at physical stops, lasers, etc on Amazon. My gut tells me a physical stop is the way to go but I'm open to suggestions. If I do go that route, is there anything out there that's any good and where I don't have to drill into my concrete floor?

I have an outlet above, an outlet to the side, and a home entry door way directly behind where the van will park if that helps any. My walls and van paint thank you!
View Quote
Gd loves ceep, tennis ball and string. Hang it so the windshield touches it to where you want the van to stop
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#13]
A string hung from the ceiling that touches the front of the hood when she’s in the right spot. Cheap. Effective.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Clever. Retracts when garage door closes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I put a log piece of wood to bump in to on the garage floor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#16]
What's wrong with the old tennis ball on a string?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Apron.
View Quote

She's got to drive to the grocery store.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hang a tennis ball from above so that she has to just tap it with her driver's side rearview mirror.

ETA:   I don't understand all the "middle of the windshield" stuff on this.

Aim small, miss small guys!

Set it up to just kiss the drivers side rear mirror.   It gets the driver to the right depth in the space and ALSO where you want them left to right (i.e., room to open door/avoid dings etc)
View Quote

If the tennis ball is directly in front of the driver they may not see it move. If it's in the middle you can easily see it touch the windshield.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This, cheap and works well. Even Mr. MaGoo can see a tennis ball hit a windshield.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy peasy.

This, cheap and works well. Even Mr. MaGoo can see a tennis ball hit a windshield.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I gave my Mom one of these movable stop sign markers that will flex when your bumper hits it, and the sign flashes red LED's.  $17 on Amazon.

Garage stop sign

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Hang a cork from the ceiling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Use a orange traffic cone she can hit and not damage the car or wall.

You can get a free one from the city construction site.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Definitely this.  

I did this for my truck when I first bought my house because I never parked in a home garage before. It's cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

This is a good improvement. Do they come in orange? Orange would make it easier to see and if anyone gives you are hard time about needing it you can just say “Orange Man Bad”.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Could also just not let her park in the garage if she’s going to park like an idiot. Lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Could also just not let her park in the garage if she’s going to park like an idiot. Lol
View Quote

Definitely a winner with the ladies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I thought this is what everyone who has this problem does. Why complicate it or throw money at it when this solution costs $1 and takes 5 minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy peasy.

I thought this is what everyone who has this problem does. Why complicate it or throw money at it when this solution costs $1 and takes 5 minutes.

Should have mentioned, but she backs into the garage. A tennis ball setup won't work because it could get caught up in the hatch when it opens
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Should have mentioned, but she backs into the garage. A tennis ball setup won't work because it could get caught up in the hatch when it opens
View Quote

why back into the garage?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Golf ball on a string hanging from the ceiling. When it touches the windshield in front of her face. Stop.

we had this for years in our small garage and it work perfect.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Always back into spots.

You get to visualize the area before you back in, no risk of running over neighbor's kids, dogs, etc.

Hatch is aimed directly at the entry door too, versus having to carry groceries while hugged up against the wall coming from the far end if we pulled straight in.

Faster exits if we need to leave somewhere in somewhat of a hurry.

Orients kids how we want them in terms of getting them loaded/unloaded.

Works better for under the hood type stuff in the event I need to check oil, do oil change, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

yep us too. Now if I could get her to stop hitting her mirror on the garage door frame on the way out......

J-
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would have been good to put in the OP.
Might want to add that to it before you get three more pages of tennis ball recommendations.  

Does the vehicle not have a backup camera?  That would make it easy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
So no tennis ball on a string? This whole thread has been turned on it's head.

if she's backing in, can't she just use the distance markers on the camera?  If you guide her in the first time and set the distance needed to get the hatch open, she should be able to repeat that distance in the camera pretty easily.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

This. Pull forward until the tennis ball just touches the windshield.  You stop in the same place every time. Works great, easy to install, cheap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#38]
A parking stop works great.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/perfect+parking+mat.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#39]
When I was a kid my grandparents had a tennis ball hanging in the garage for this purpose. It's cool to hear people are still doing that
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Motion sensor laser on ceiling. Have it hit a known point on the vehicle she can see.

I have been down this road.

You could also dangle a tennis ball from the ceiling with some 550 cord for less money.
View Quote
Tennis ball is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#41]
physical stop.  I had a 4x4 in our small garage when we had an oversized SUV.  Worked great, zero damage to vehicle or garage walls or garage door.  Did not require a whole lot of "paying attention"
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:05:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Easy peasy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Always back into spots.

You get to visualize the area before you back in, no risk of running over neighbor's kids, dogs, etc.

Hatch is aimed directly at the entry door too, versus having to carry groceries while hugged up against the wall coming from the far end if we pulled straight in.

Works better for under the hood type stuff in the event I need to check oil, do oil change, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always back into spots.

If you're always backing in, just the layout tape on the floor is all you need. You can see the tape a long ways off, so just align it with the side of the van when backing up. Then look at the backup camera to know when to stop. When the rear tape aligns with your bumper, you're done. This is what I do, and it's easy to park perfectly every time. I fit an F150 and a Sienna in the garage with plenty of room.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the most logical answer in this entire thread.... Freedom comes with responsibility.. If you cant figure out how to properly park in a garage, you get dont get the luxury of parking indoors... Furthermore, Im of the "parking is part of the safe operation of a vehicle " mindset... So if one cant park it, one should not be driving it to begin with...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just joined the minivan club. I need something to keep her parking where she clears the garage door, and where the rear hatch can open up. There is about 6"' of wiggle room to achieve this.

Been looking at physical stops, lasers, etc on Amazon. My gut tells me a physical stop is the way to go but I'm open to suggestions. If I do go that route, is there anything out there that's any good and where I don't have to drill into my concrete floor?

I have an outlet above, an outlet to the side, and a home entry door way directly behind where the van will park if that helps any. My walls and van paint thank you!
View Quote

Tennis Ball on a string.  When it kissed the windshield, she is parked.

Works even if the power if off too.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#46]
tennis balls hanged from ceiling on a string
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#47]
My grandpa used to hang a orange ball from the ceiling that would touch the windshield when he was just right.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looked at a house a year or so ago, double 8' sectional doors (9' is more common) so fairly narrow to start with, and there was only about 6" from door jamb to the wall.  You literally could not open the drivers side door enough to get out of the car. She had to back in.

Poor design by architect/builder, but probably not uncommon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy peasy.

Until she forgets where the tennis ball should rest on the windshield when the car is positioned for perfect parking.  From personal experience, I finally gave up and made my wife start parking her car outside on the driveway.  Both my insurance company and bank thanked me.

It was funny because she kept denying it was her hitting the wall or garage door.  I showed her on video where yes, indeed, it was her.  She didn't know that I moved some of the surveillance cameras so I could capture her antics.  My teenagers thanked me because they stopped getting blamed for damaging the garage.

Also, it wasn't just the garage door and front wall that she would damage.  She also scraped both sides of her Audi multiple times when pulling into the garage.  She tried to blame the marks on the kids and their bicycles.  Uh-huh.  Why is my side of the two-bay garage (two garage doors) undamaged and hers was damaged multiple times?

Anyway, good luck, OP!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Very simple, yet effective solution.

When suspended tennis ball contacts windshield, time to stop.
View Quote

I had to do this!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top