Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to have 2 huge ass safes full of guns I bought in the 80s and 90s. We have no kids. We decided to retire early if possible and buy a house and property. I contemplated moving them all. Took them all out, fondled them. Oiled them up and put them back. I decided to sell about 2/3 of them because tbh I never shot most of them and many were unissued milsurp items and unfired 1950s / 60s Colt and S&W pieces that some dedicated collector would want. Sold them off, and the money really helped us both quit working. 58 now, I shoot on my property all the time. Focusing on the AR and AK platforms and service pistols.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would I sell them just because I get old?
View Quote

Get back to us when you're old.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it will most likely be 70-75. I expect to have no more than 17 years left based on family history of my male ancestors. 75-76 is the male mortality age.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
53 here.

I haven't shot anything in over a year, hoping that changes this year but last time I did shoot I could still handle semi-auto pistols, M4 style rifles, and the Garand, carbine and M1A fairly well off hand.

If I get to the point where I cannot shoot offhand, I'll just stick to sitting at a bench.

I really should consider selling off a lot of what I have, and if a ban becomes imminent, I probably will so I am not stuck with things I can't get rid of.  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it but honestly at this point I can't imagine selling anything I have even the milsurps I no longer shoot.  They were a big part of my life at one point, not so big a part now but still important to me and help me to form a connection to the past.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
When I get real old, I'll move into a shitty part of town

Then befriend the young minority neighbor kid that's being bullied

Teach 'em how to work hard and respect elders

Maybe I'll point a Garand at some gang bangers that roll around looking for trouble

There are so many future possibilities

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 61. My wife is 59. My kid has no interest in my guns. I don't want to burden my wife with having to dispose of my collection so I'm thinking I'll try to time the liquidation so that I can oversee it. The trick is to not wait until it's too late . . .

The options I'm considering:
1.) Turn the bulk of them over to a auctioneer who specializes in gun sales. There's a guy about an hour from me who seems to do pretty well moving large collections. I could see doing that in the next couple of years.
2.) Wait until I retire (after Medicare kicks in) and sell them one by one on Gunbroker, etc. as a retirement "job"

My decision may be influenced by what Joe Biden and the Democratic Congress does.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am probably going to start selling most of my NFA stuff in the next couple of years.  Obviously it might take a little bit of time to find someone who is interested in buying a 115-year old obscure machine gun, or an 84mm recoilless anti-tank gun.  

I figure the Madsen will probably have to go to Rock Island Auctions, and the Carl Gustav might be impossible to sell because of liability concerns.  
View Quote

I'll sign a waiver
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I would Never list an Age but I would consider health. Some people may live to be 95 or 125 and still healthy and alert and some people in their 40s are very unhealthy and morbid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I sold all of mine ahead of the Biden confiscations.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My decision may be influenced by what Joe Biden and the Democratic Congress does.
View Quote

This is going to horrify some people.  The thought horrifies me, too.  But I was talking to an old friend (gotta be in his upper sixties) the other day, and he was always the "cold dead hands" guy ten-fifteen-twenty years ago.  Now he's saying if Congress even goes so far as to require registration he might just comply because he's old enough that he knows he won't be shooting much longer and he'd rather be able to sell  his collection off legally.

DAYUM.  I hope I don't get to that point.

I'm still in the "fight for your rights" no matter what mode.  I hadn't even considered what he's thinking.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are you asking for it?
I'll sign a liability waiver.
View Quote
I'm also interested
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:06:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Never.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
When you can't enjoy them.  Make it easy on your heirs.  If no one wants them, sell them while you can.

You want some wife or son who doesn't care for your precious guns to sell them cheap?  I managed to buy a revolver and had a NIB Baby Browning thrown in. 1Relluc style luck.  But it broke me of buying anymore gonnes.   I realized that someday it could be me.

I did give some things away when I retired including that Baby Browning to a younger buddy who is still playing popo.   Thankfully so far he's never had to use it as his b/u gonne.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm over 60 and don't have any plans to start selling my guns.  I did start putting inventory tags on them to make it easier for my wife and children to decide what to do with them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm 49 and already started this process a couple years ago with reloading components(bullets) and lead. There was no way I was going to use it all.
I have sold a few guns that were basically doubles or guns that I haven't shot in years.

I have no desire or plans of ever buying another gun or magazine unless something wears out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When you can't enjoy them.  Make it easy on your heirs.  If no one wants them, sell them while you can.
View Quote
I have no wife or kids so it is my sisters and their kids that are my designated heirs. That being said, none of them have any interest in my interests including firearms. In fact, one sister and her family are quite anti-gun so they would most likely destroy anything they could get their hands on. I would rather sell and give the money to the charitable groups I work with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll be thinning the herd in my 60s
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am probably going to start selling most of my NFA stuff in the next couple of years.  Obviously it might take a little bit of time to find someone who is interested in buying a 115-year old obscure machine gun, or an 84mm recoilless anti-tank gun.  

I figure the Madsen will probably have to go to Rock Island Auctions, and the Carl Gustav might be impossible to sell because of liability concerns.  
View Quote

I should get a cheap price on that Madsen since they designed the magazine upside down.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't take the guns with me when I die but I can't take money with me either. And I do have two kids so it's hard for me to assume that I don't. My plan is to put a tag on everything with their approximate value and description so that they know not to sell it cheap. If they don't want it themselves that is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm 65 now and due to vertebral problems that came from being a 'male RN' which is a synonym for 'lift help' at the hospital, I cannot handle the recoil of a .22-250/6.5 Grendel. The docs told me that I have a >75% chance of being wheelchair bound if they 'fix' my back issues. ¿Really? #FTS!!!. I'll mope around the best I can until they put my tired azz either into a home or a hole in the ground. I'm selling a lot of my reloading equipment since I don't have the hand dexterity anymore to safely reload. So, I'm stuck with 5.56 and .17HMR for now. And 20 rounds out of a 5.56 hurts my neck.

'Time' is a four lettered word and it does catch up with you quickly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I started selling mine off about three years ago. Have no relatives to leave them to. I'm in poor health and you never the end may come.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not selling jack fucking shit.  If I have to move out of the house and live in a cardboard box because I've run out of room for more weapons, then so be it.  The guns need lebensraum more then I do.  Wife can go hook up with some lonely dude with lots of money and a house with central heating and air.

After my frozen body is discovered in whatever paper container I lived in up until my dying day, the weapons go to my son and the little guy my wife and I are raising (her grandson).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
No kids and in my 50s......

I've already gotten rid of almost all of the milsurp stuff, all the FALs, all the AKs, and many of the retro AR guns......

I'm keeping the 223 HKs, enough ARs to represent every generation in their development, the NFA stuff I actually shoot, and a weird mix of handguns.

I hate dead weight.... and having to worry about ammo,mags, and future parts availability.

The profits from selling about 3 dozen Mausers I bought in the 80s have paid for a vacation or two.....and have made my life generally more enjoyable
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#24]
What guns? Guns are icky.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Never.  I have two sons who are into guns.  I spend more time thinking about what I have to buy next to even out the inheritance when I pass.  One son is more into the black rifles and the other is more into the wood milsurps though there is some cross over.  In the mean time I'll just keep buying the things I couldn't afford when raising a family.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I promised my guns to an old friend years ago, but I've been thinking of giving others a chance at some--my Swedish Mausers, K31 and others of a similar bent.  Maybe the M1 carbine, too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone here keep track of their insured gun collection and include it in their net worth? Just curious. I think I will hold onto mine as long as they appreciate over time. If quality factor AR's become like pre-1986 MGs it could be quite valuable in a few decades. I mostly consider the $$ value as a last resort emergency source of liquidity. Quality guns rarely depreciate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm surprised so many here don't have kids. My son's getting everything I have, as far as I'm concerned I'm just a caretaker taking care of these things for the next generation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm 73, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Maybe because if I croak my wife would sell my P7's for $200.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm closer to 70 than I like to admit.  Every so often I start to think I should start to sell down my collection but I just seem to acquire more.  I'm blessed to be healthy and live in a place where I can shoot and explore to my heart's content.  

I guess I'll start selling them when I'm no longer physically able to do what I love doing.  Until then I'm not going to worry about it much.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#32]
The fuck is this? The point of the game is to die with all the guns you ever wanted.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm almost 64 and none of my kids are interested, so I just sold a bunch of mine. It's a seller's market.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I can sympathize.  I'm dealing with the things recently left behind by a friend who passed.  No fun, is it.
View Quote

It sympathize with you, I wish you luck. It's hard.....

I'll sell mine when the time comes here to people that may put them to good use
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Just so I can have a General Discussion Comment:

*IF* I had guns....

Cremate me and bury the guns in the burial vault with my ashes in an ammo can.  Let them be a cache to the next generation to know about if the Commies take over...

"Go to the tombstone that has the epitaph 'The Chair is Against the Wall', and dig there."
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#38]
You pass them on to posterity. Or those who may be likely to appreciate them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm closer to 70 than I like to admit.  Every so often I start to think I should start to sell down my collection but I just seem to acquire more.  I'm blessed to be healthy and live in a place where I can shoot and explore to my heart's content.  

I guess I'll start selling them when I'm no longer physically able to do what I love doing.  Until then I'm not going to worry about it much.

View Quote

My dad's 88. He occasionally buys. Still shoots. You may have another 20 years in you. Keep it up. It's working.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#40]
My dad sold over half of his firearms last year at age 74.

I've regretted it every time I sold a firearm, but I gave most of what I had to my sons a few years ago with no regrets. Mid 40s then.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:03:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Been thinking about this very thing lately.
My BIL died at 67 from brain cancer. I was in charge of selling his guns. Sure I keep a few. But sold the ones I did not want.

I have no children. I do have friends. But still money is money.
View Quote

Selling guns to people who appreciate them sure beats watching them being hauled off for destruction.

If you're no long capable of being an active part of an armed populace, at least you can help others do so.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Old guys still think they can get the job done. Only when end of life is the next stop, do guys think that way.  Even then most do not.  If you have no one to leave guns to you have no one to leave money to.  So same difference.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Age 57 here. I sold off all my AR's and a Cetme that were purchased on a 4473 in November & December.

FFL purchase firearms are icky ...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I would probably sell off everything that has no historical or collectible value if there was a revolutionary technology change. If we go to laser guns or caseless ammo as a standard I'm upgrading.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Never, my son will inherit them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are lucky and unlucky you'll find out if you live long enough.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am almost certainly going to die before my wife.  

I don't want her to have to deal with the giant hassle of figuring out how to sell NFA stuff, or just the annoying details of selling off a large collection that includes some esoteric guns.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... If you have no one to leave guns to you have no one to leave money to.  So same difference.

I am almost certainly going to die before my wife.  

I don't want her to have to deal with the giant hassle of figuring out how to sell NFA stuff, or just the annoying details of selling off a large collection that includes some esoteric guns.  

Good on ya.

In my life, I have known more than one unfortunate widow that had to deal with NFA stuff when her husband died unexpectedly.

That comedian George Burns used to say, "At my age you don't buy green bananas."

At a certain point a gun owner has to man up and realize that his best shooting and collecting days are behind him.

I own guns for home defense more than as a "hobby."  My criteria for selling my AR's is that if I ever get feeble enough that I can't even shoot a pencil barreled carbine off hand then it's time to get my money out of them.

My father kind of went through that.  When he was in his late fifties, he had an M1A decked out with a high power scope.  Within a couple of years he was down to a Mini-14.  By the time he died at 74 I'm not even sure he was shooting long guns anymore.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Will sell some that I don't use and have no intention to use (e.g. Glocks or anything else similarly hideous) now, while the market is good.

And will start selling NFA stuff soon (I'm nearing retirement) because I don't want to leave the family with the hassle, and because I want to be sure they're marketed and sold well.

If we decide to move and downsize after retirement, I may thin the rest of the collection just for simplicity. Some will be distributed to kids (who already have reasonable collections--they're dedicated shooters and each got a "starter arsenal" when they graduated college), others will be sold.

But when I die, I'm sure I'll have enough gear left to impress the executor of my will.
Really, I'm just planning to thin the herd to make things easier on my family when I go.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#50]
already sold most of mine. I'm down to my original daisy and crossman co2.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top