BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Re-purposing spent M200-series fuze heads to light cannon fuse (and thus smoke mixture) is simple.  I just wish I had better smoke chemical to stuff inside my homemade smokes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try Enola Gay smokes. They have pull-ring activation, but no spoon though :(

Re-purposing spent M200-series fuze heads to light cannon fuse (and thus smoke mixture) is simple.  I just wish I had better smoke chemical to stuff inside my homemade smokes.
Why wouldn't you make actual HC filler like a miltary smoke?

Hexachloroethane doesn't look restricted, you can buy it as fine chemical. Aluminum powder and Zinc Oxide are easy to get.

Not saying it would be cost effective to do it, but its certainly possible.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hexachloroethane doesn't look restricted, you can buy it as fine chemical. Aluminum powder and Zinc Oxide are easy to get.

View Quote

Because after drilling the grenade fuzes and making bodies out of PVC, I'm fucking lazy.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@DeltaElite777

What you want is a mixture of Hexachloroethane, Zinc Oxide and Aluminum powder.  The Hexachloroethane acts as a chlorine donor to produce highly deliquescent Zinc Chloride.  The latter sublimes and absorbs water to produce clouds of smoke.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/EBF8A9B7-8EFB-4181-B047-407CE5741F76-1785361.jpg

https://www.firefox-fx.com/ChemG-H.htm
View Quote

How would one find the correct mixture?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because after drilling the grenade fuzes and making bodies out of PVC, I'm fucking lazy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have an idea what the volume of HC filler mix is a real M8?  Or internal dims so I could calculate it.

I have some Hexachloroethane sitting in a shopping cart right now...
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I need a solid formula for a 37mm variety.

Yet again I should read the whole thread before posting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unpresident Xiden is already working on it. Gay troops are currently field testing experimental models.
View Quote

Lulz.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unpresident Xiden is already working on it. Gay troops are currently field testing experimental models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not gay unless they produce rainbow smoke.

This is just incorrect.

The Pentagon has issued strict guidelines about gay troops

'Gays Too Precious To Risk In Combat'

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Would
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@DeltaElite777

What you want is a mixture of Hexachloroethane, Zinc Oxide and Aluminum powder.  The Hexachloroethane acts as a chlorine donor to produce highly deliquescent Zinc Chloride.  The latter sublimes and absorbs water to produce clouds of smoke.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36246/EBF8A9B7-8EFB-4181-B047-407CE5741F76-1785361.jpg

Would

@CenterMass762
@DeltaElite777
@TakeBackTheFed

Read the Smoke chapter in Herbert Ellern’s Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics, Chapter 18, starting on p.147.  Formulas start on p.371.  The percentages are by weight.  The free .pdf is here:

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/pdf/4651.pdf
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had a very good experience with these.  The little ones work great in the woods and the big ones will cover a large open area.  

https://sportsmoke.com/smoke-grenades
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@CenterMass762
@DeltaElite777
@TakeBackTheFed

Read the Smoke chapter in Herbert Ellern’s Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics, Chapter 18, starting on p.147.  Formulas start on p.371.  The percentages are by weight.  The free .pdf is here:

View Quote

Whoa, what an awesome book to have on hand. Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Indeed.  Thanks man!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Smokes shipped today so that place is good to go it seems
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Got rid of the last real M18 over six years ago.  we had some red ones for medevac choppers.  

Can was rusting through so i popped it at the police range.  It worked perfectly even gnarly looking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@CenterMass762
@DeltaElite777
@TakeBackTheFed

View Quote

MalwareBytes went off on that site
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Chrome didn't like that link either. I scanned the PDF on virustotal.com and it's totally clean.

Thanks @C-4
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Smokes shipped today so that place is good to go it seems
View Quote

Nice, you gonna pop one?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice, you gonna pop one?
View Quote

Definitely going to pop smoke

Ill pop one and see how it is.

Hoping that I wont get a look on my face when I pop it

Im trying to go into this underwhelmed so I can hopefully walk away slightly impressed
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
We used to play paintball in the woods when I was younger and I had few of the real ones that had the pin and fuse that I had picked up at a paintball store before they banned them and those things smoked up the entire woods.  We threw it in a creek and it just floated and continued to belch orange smoke for what seemed like a solid 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Smaller than I thought theyd be

1911 with a stendo for size comparison

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Smaller than I thought theyd be

1911 with a stendo for size comparison

https://i.imgur.com/Iei5yTih.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#22]
There was a cool thread here a while ago about airsoft flashbangs. It's in the archive hole right now, but it was pretty interesting.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Please take video OP.

Quoted:
There was a cool thread here a while ago about airsoft flashbangs. It's in the archive hole right now, but it was pretty interesting.

View Quote

Do you have a link to it?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

What body do you use? I have been using duct tape and cardboard.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What body do you use? I have been using duct tape and cardboard.
View Quote

PVC pipe roll-your-own.  Cap one end, use threaded cap on the other for easy refill.

I drill 2 vent holes and cover them with 100MPH tape (Which is basically the same way a real M18 works, IIRC.

It's nice because theoretically you could make any size you wanted.  I guess they might melt eventually, but I've re-used one a few times and it's still holding up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#26]
@chase45 Briggs Core Dynamics in Fowler, IN just got a shipment of the Mil-x smoke grenades and some flash bangs in the other day. Probably a trip for you, but at least they're in state and in stock. I grabbed a few , but haven't picked them up yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#27]
They look pretty cool.

AIRSOFT SMOKE GRENADE - TLSFx 3rd Generation Pyrotechnics
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chrome didn't like that link either. I scanned the PDF on virustotal.com and it's totally clean.

Thanks @C-4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks @C-4

@KitBuilder

Any time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:04:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve used these they’re fun. The minis and the dual colors are gtg.  The EG18 is supposed to be a decent equivalent in output and burn time to a Mk18.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Now I feel like I need some....and flash bangs
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
They do have those, but I think they only sell them to shops for use on the field, and to law enforcement organizations.

The pull-string ones do put out some serious smoke though.  Been using them for fire department drills for mask confidence amd SCBA procedures.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can get a six pack of Enola Gaye off amazon for 79.99 and free shipping.

They are not shipped hazmat so I dont know how long the seller will be around. But, mine showed up just fine.
View Quote
They aren't shipped hazmat, but fun and games start when they ship them to the wrong address accidentally and the homeowner thinks a crazy loner living in a self built shack in the wilderness is sending him care packages.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

@DeltaElite777

View Quote

I found great success with the lactose recipes for colored smoke.   Red was the best.   I was repurposing used training fuzes to work with a large pistol primer and cannon Fuze.  My kids loved it.   I was using hobby chemical supply.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pvc?  I was using soup cans with epoxy and hvac tape...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#35]
OP has received the grenades. There remains a disturbing lack of video.

Day 1
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
OP has received the grenades. There remains a disturbing lack of video.

Day 1
View Quote

I dont get off work until its dark

Im poppin one this weekend though so not much longer to wait
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you DIY flash-bangs?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can you DIY flash-bangs?
View Quote

How bad do you want glow?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Can you DIY flash-bangs?
View Quote

a dude on youtube with a licese talks about flashbangs and whats inside. he was making little CO2 cartridge bombs that were essentially flashbangs. He has a license and all that good stuff its like ordinance lab or something.

also tag because i want to refill some of the used m-18's i have.

Will a 209 primer light a sugar smoke mix? Ill be DLing the manual later and maybe using that fill instead. If a 209 wont, maybe add some slow burning powder inside with a few flakes of propellant to ignite the mix.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got some Mil Xs on the way and some of the EG flashbangs
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

a dude on youtube with a licese talks about flashbangs and whats inside. he was making little CO2 cartridge bombs that were essentially flashbangs. He has a license and all that good stuff its like ordinance lab or something.

Will a 209 primer light a sugar smoke mix? Ill be DLing the manual later and maybe using that fill instead. If a 209 wont, maybe add some slow burning powder inside with a few flakes of propellant to ignite the mix.
View Quote

It probably won’t ignite it directly, no.  But it will light the heck out of visco fuse, and that can in turn light the smoke mix no problem.

Small pistol primers will light fuse too.  A primed .25ACP casing fits in the M20x cavity very well, and the pop is a lot quieter than the shotgun primer.  (209s are pretty damn loud).
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It probably won’t ignite it directly, no.  But it will light the heck out of visco fuse, and that can in turn light the smoke mix no problem.

Small pistol primers will light fuse too.  A primed .25ACP casing fits in the M20x cavity very well, and the pop is a lot quieter than the shotgun primer.  (209s are pretty damn loud).
View Quote

pretty much what i though. ill test ghetto fuse mechanisms this weekend. I have a few feet of fast burn fuse leftover from when we would host firework parties. Ill look into the 25acp, do you need to drill the fuse out to fit it like you do  for the 209?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I miss the ALS smokes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

pretty much what i though. ill test ghetto fuse mechanisms this weekend. I have a few feet of fast burn fuse leftover from when we would host firework parties. Ill look into the 25acp, do you need to drill the fuse out to fit it like you do  for the 209?
View Quote

Yep.  .25ACP is very close in diameter to the 209 primer.

There might be a way to get the original spent primer out without drilling, but I just put the right sized bit in the drill press and did a bunch of them all at once.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yep.  .25ACP is very close in diameter to the 209 primer.

There might be a way to get the original spent primer out without drilling, but I just put the right sized bit in the drill press and did a bunch of them all at once.
View Quote

I recommend a wrap of electrical tape around the case if you use the .25acp case. It will prevent it from blowing out of the fuze, meaning you can reprime the case and need to buy less .25acp. I'm using ppu with a chunk of visco fuse that I wrap in a piece of cotton ball with a 50/50 lightly ground mix of sugar/potassium nitrate. Helps to keep sparks out of the mix and seems to create a faux fuse train. I also have a bit of the loose 50/50 powder mix inside too that should burn a bit hotter and ensure good ignition.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you DIY flash-bangs?

Flashbangs are considered a DD. Also, the CO2 cartridge bombs aka cricket bombs that ordnance lab was making were essentially small improvised frag grenades and considered DDs. There are cardboard tubes that are better than the CO2 cartridges as they won't produce shrapnel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The CO2 cartridge "flash bangs" are a hoot
View Quote

I think that's how the airsoft Rpg-7 warhead works. It has a CO2 bottle in the nose as a 'bursting charge'. It can lob the polymer warhead a good distance.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Honestly not bad at all. I think my expectations were low so I came out pretty impressed

Filmed vertically so I can hear people bitch

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Nooice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Pretty good amount of smoke!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top