Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
It is really lousy, especially for those of us who just got into it.  I shot $100's worth of ammo a month when prices were cheap during 2019.  I shot it as fast as I bought it.  Just as I started to buy cases to start a fort, the ammo literally dried up over night.  The last few range trips I started picking up my brass.  It really hurts knowing what it will cost to replace this gallon bag of 5.56.  Other than picking a couple mags worth of ammo when I see it for $1/round, shooting for fun is basically done for a lot of us.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It’s worse for some of us in states like AZ...I just drive 10 minutes on the other side of a mountain range, and shoot on BLM land. Went out twice this weekend.

View Quote

You forget to mention you can only do that (legally) for 4 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol sounds like when I shoot my Barrett.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Plenty of components out there for the taking if you’re quick and have $$$. I don’t mean gb either.

It’s there if you put in the work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't even look directly at the 28 Nosler for fear of going broke.

I'm actually happy I don't have  a 338 lapua right now. Sheesh

Plenty of components out there for the taking if you’re quick and have $$$. I don’t mean gb either.

@GMZ

what are you doing? Just hitting all the gun stores over and over every day?  None of the ones I visit have any clue when they will get components. I've pretty much stopped visiting every day cause nobody is getting anything.  I figure I'll ration till someone online gets bricks and I'll buy 1/5 K of them.

are you just hitting shops every day?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Fuck that, although I've slightly lowered the weekly budget, still training and loving every second of it. Really just avoiding the occasional mag dumps and frivolous bursts. More deliberate with each round.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@GMZ

what are you doing? Just hitting all the gun stores over and over every day?  None of the ones I visit have any clue when they will get components. I've pretty much stopped visiting every day cause nobody is getting anything.  I figure I'll ration till someone online gets bricks and I'll buy 1/5 K of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GMZ

How much are 55gr pills going for in reloading circles?  I've got a box of like 5k that I'll prob never get around to reloading.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How much are 55gr pills going for in reloading circles?  I've got a box of like 5k that I'll prob never get around to reloading.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GMZ

you're sitting on a goldmine!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@GMZ

View Quote

Hold on let me dig up my discord post I’m about to change your life.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#9]
My brother gave me 1000 rounds of .22 short.  So that's all I've been shooting.  I'm painfully low on 9mm right now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#10]
@crashburnrepeat

I use the discord and buy everything online. Rarely even set foot in a gun shop.

It’s so wild out there that people are using bots to get notifications and buy as soon as the stock status changes on the website. This is why BP has stopped selling ammo and components online. Sites are IP banning people who do this and distill has started to ban users who use the app for gun stuff.

If you buy online I highly recommend you join the reloading discord. It’s a chat app and you can get in stock (aka drops) notifications for each type of component. It’s much faster than the where to find thread in the reloading forum.

Make accounts at all the vendors so at the very least your shipping details are already pre entered. Not even joking this can mean the difference between getting your 2 jug limit or sitting there with your dick in your hands asking wtf just happened. When you get the alert drop everything and buy the limit. If there is an alert for a powder drop of the same brand that you’re looking for go check it out to see if it’s in stock but no one has noticed. Got Varget that way last week.  

I keep my credit card in my phone case with me always and have gotten quite a bit of powder in the past month. I mean good ones too: Varget, H4350, RL26 etc. I have the best luck at Powder Valley and Midsouth.

Don’t let naysayers discourage you, people with tens of thousands of internet posts yet can’t figure out how to buy powders on the internet and complaining “no fuckin powder man!” it can be done if you put a small effort into it. More brass and bullets are going oos these days. Primers are very tough to get.

Here’s the link, it’s helped me out a lot so I thought would pass it on and return the favor that I got.

https://discord.gg/reloading
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I can help you with your pain.  Got any trains and initiation crab meat? Fruit plates?  Heated pool?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I recently switched up a bunch or optics and need to zero in a bunch of rifles. My stock is in good shape but when I went the other day the thought did cross my mind about blowing ammo on zeroing in.  Kind of wished I left them alone for the time being.  Who knows when ammo prices will be normal. Imagine 223/556 at $1 per round as the new normal? I hope that’s doesn’t  become reality.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got a new rifle right before Christmas that I wanted to go test out.  

took her up to the range and went to 25 yards to get on paper.  Every time I pulled the trigger,  in my head "buck-fifty,  buck-fifty, buck-fifty"

I got on paper and backed out to 100 and started on groups to see what this rifle was capable off. four five round groups later,  I realized I had shot about 40 bucks worth of ammo and was just getting started.  

And worse,  every time I pulled the trigger, I wasn't sure when or where I was gonna be able to get components to reload that case again.  I have enough bullets for maybe 5-6 hundred loads, but who knows when I can replace that.

It was painful.   I finally switched to the .22 to get some more time on the trigger.

The good news is the rifle shot amazingly.  I was super happy.  Especially with off the shelf ammo.   I think I can do better with handloads when I get the time and financial courage to work up a load.
View Quote

Did you actually spend a 1.50 a round or were your shooting ammo that cost you .35 a round a year ago.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@crashburnrepeat

I use the discord and buy everything online. Rarely even set foot in a gun shop.

It’s so wild out there that people are using bots to get notifications and buy as soon as the stock status changes on the website. This is why BP has stopped selling ammo and components online. Sites are IP banning people who do this and distill has started to ban users who use the app for gun stuff.

If you buy online I highly recommend you join the reloading discord. It’s a chat app and you can get in stock (aka drops) notifications for each type of component. It’s much faster than the where to find thread in the reloading forum.

Make accounts at all the vendors so at the very least your shipping details are already pre entered. Not even joking this can mean the difference between getting your 2 jug limit or sitting there with your dick in your hands asking wtf just happened. When you get the alert drop everything and buy the limit. If there is an alert for a powder drop of the same brand that you’re looking for go check it out to see if it’s in stock but no one has noticed. Got Varget that way last week.  

I keep my credit card in my phone case with me always and have gotten quite a bit of powder in the past month. I mean good ones too: Varget, H4350, RL26 etc. I have the best luck at Powder Valley and Midsouth.

Don’t let naysayers discourage you, people with tens of thousands of internet posts yet can’t figure out how to buy powders on the internet and complaining “no fuckin powder man!” it can be done if you put a small effort into it. More brass and bullets are going oos these days. Primers are very tough to get.

Here’s the link, it’s helped me out a lot so I thought would pass it on and return the favor that I got.

https://discord.gg/reloading
View Quote

@GMZ

man, I am doing things the hard way lol.

I have subscribed to "in stock" notifications, from many vendors, I get an email, and like you said, by the time I get there and try to buy...poof

gone.

thanks for the tip. will give this a try
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep, that's likely the route they'll take. I don't think they'll go for a full on ban or magazine capacity limit.

No civilian ownership of 'military' calibers will be the compromise.

They already do this in Europe and South America.

ETA:

And if legislation won't work, the SJW army will pressure the manufacturers to halt sales to civilians. Remember, Vista Outdoors is known to be left leaning and holds a large portion of ammo manufacturing in the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until they try and ban military style ammo, etc.

Yep, that's likely the route they'll take. I don't think they'll go for a full on ban or magazine capacity limit.

ETA:

And if legislation won't work, the SJW army will pressure the manufacturers to halt sales to civilians. Remember, Vista Outdoors is known to be left leaning and holds a large portion of ammo manufacturing in the US.

Too late for that. I don't see that happening. Nor it is a compromise.

They'll likely push for the things they are already whining about.

And they will probably get UBC at a minimum.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I might take some blackpowder items out to the range, just to shoot a bit.
View Quote
I have powder, cap and ball for dam near 200 rounds for my Revolvers.

Its what my go to will be for practicing fundamentals. because i can replace the ammo...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I’ll throw you guys another bone.

Buy a spring loaded air rifle like a Diana 34 or 48 for $300-$400. Shipped right tyd. No powder so you might even be legal to shoot them in your yard. 177 pellets are well under $10 for a tin of 500.

Think outside the box. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did you actually spend a 1.50 a round or were your shooting ammo that cost you .35 a round a year ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got a new rifle right before Christmas that I wanted to go test out.  

took her up to the range and went to 25 yards to get on paper.  Every time I pulled the trigger,  in my head "buck-fifty,  buck-fifty, buck-fifty"

I got on paper and backed out to 100 and started on groups to see what this rifle was capable off. four five round groups later,  I realized I had shot about 40 bucks worth of ammo and was just getting started.  

And worse,  every time I pulled the trigger, I wasn't sure when or where I was gonna be able to get components to reload that case again.  I have enough bullets for maybe 5-6 hundred loads, but who knows when I can replace that.

It was painful.   I finally switched to the .22 to get some more time on the trigger.

The good news is the rifle shot amazingly.  I was super happy.  Especially with off the shelf ammo.   I think I can do better with handloads when I get the time and financial courage to work up a load.

in this case, factory boxed ammo I bought several months ago for about 29 bucks a box of 20.  I normally reload, but bought a 6.5 and bought this for the brass. It was painful pulling the trigger. ouch

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I see you signed up already OP

Talking politics will get you a ban FYI.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:08:27 AM EDT
[#20]
#1- be sure to stock up on ammo and/or components in advance so that you can make it thru the expensive times, while re stocking when things come back down as it will someday...

#2- an un-zero’d rifle is useless as can be, so just think of it as a required expense.  You don’t need to waste ammo, but you do need to be zero’d and know your distances.  You are actually making a tool useful, where as before it was not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You’ve been a member since 2001. Nobody to blame but yourself.
View Quote

You're fucking stupid
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Just ordered a Webley .177. Cheap pellets.

Webley MK VI
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:32:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't understand why it's not possible to get a loan to setup more capacity in the market with prices this high over baseline.

It simply CAN'T be that difficult to stand up new production capacity when the market rate is so far over production cost.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:13:34 AM EDT
[#24]
A simple trick I used to use in college when I was broke, and 1000rds of .45 ACP ($350) was a 'small fortune' and had to be conserved.

-->

Load less rounds in the magazine, and switch drills.

Ie:

-Load 5x rounds for shooting for accuracy

-Load 2x rounds for training double taps + reloads

-Load 3x rounds for training Mozambiques

-Load 1x round training point shooting / firing from holster + reload

Makes 50-100rds last a long time, increases overall training, still fun

Likewise, firing rifles from the bench, switching from 5rd groups (4x per 20rd) to 3rd groups (6x per 20rd).

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not how it works.  If a person owns silver coins or gold, they don't value it at what they paid for it a year ago.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:38:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I looked up ammo prices on ammoseek today.
1 option for .450 Bushmaster at $4.5 a round.
.458 Socom starts just under $2 a round.
.22 Magnum starts at 90 cents a round!

I didn't even bother looking up 9mm and .223.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:41:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought lots of different kinds of .22 firearms and stocked up on .22 because it was cheap for years [save for the panics] and a little money goes a long way in the .22 world. I've told friends to buy a .22 firearm that duplicates their primary firearm [usually pretty easy to do] so they could practice cheaply. Told them to buy several cases when it went on sale. Few did.

When CCI was on sale about 2 years ago at one of the site sponsors, I bought 18K rounds and my son bought a bunch also. Did we need it, nope, not really but it was cheap and free shipping to boot. Told local friends to get in on it, not one bought a single round. One just went out shooting a couple weeks ago and blasted up most of what they had. They went to the local gun shop/local stores and didn't have a clue what was going on but they didn't come home with a single replacement round of ammo.

I would probably sell off some more of my ammo save for the fact that so many people think I should sell it for around what I paid for it and not around what it's selling for now. Some get kind of pissy even when I quote them a price under what it's selling for right now. They want to buy CCI.22 for the $4 per 100 it was going for 2 years ago and not the $15-20 it sells for right now easily.

Don't even get me started on 5.56 or 9mm. They don't [or won't]understand that you can't sell ammo for less then the cost of replacement, doesn't matter what you paid for it initially.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
best post in this thread.

shooting and the skills that come with it will eventually be like the sport of polo.
View Quote

If the commies get their way, EVERYTHING, from hunting/fishing/camping/shooting(insert various "fun" hobbies here) will become a rich man's endeavor.  Hell, a lot of these are this way already.  We are being turned into a nation of fucking serfs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Ive been lucky enough to score primers a good bit since all this started.  Mainly through discord links.  When I mean you have to be fast, its an understatement.  From the time that link drops, youve got about 2-3 minutes to be to the site, product added, and checkout complete or its game over.  Its gotten to the point for primers if I see a post older than 5 minutes, i dont even try.  You need to memorize your card info and learn how to go through checkout quickly on the websites.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:45:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't understand why it's not possible to get a loan to setup more capacity in the market with prices this high over baseline.

It simply CAN'T be that difficult to stand up new production capacity when the market rate is so far over production cost.
View Quote

Too risky of a business move.  Possible changes in legislation, demand, economy, (too much uncertainty) etc that can make a bank jittery.  Several gun ranges in Houston are being sued into bankruptcy during the Trump presidency because they were stupid with borrowed money like a drunk democrat during the good times of the Obama era.  When demand dropped during Trump, many could not afford all the upgrades to the gun ranges and toys they took loans out for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's not how it works.  If a person owns silver coins or gold, they don't value it at what they paid for it a year ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That depends.  A lot of us stocked up to get through periods like this without having to cut back on shooting.  If this continues long enough, I will hit a threshold where I will start conserving.  Right now, I am well above that threshold on most calibers that I shoot.  It will take me 2 or 3 years to hit those thresholds, and until then I'm not going out there calculating $1 a round for my range sessions.  I have an expectation that prices will moderate at some point and I will be able to replace what I am shooting at a price lower than what I am seeing now, but probably not as low as what I bought it at.  

If prices never do drop down, well that's what the threshold is for. For those who stocked a lifetime supply, they won't even have to worry about that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Right now my cast 45 are cheaper than factory 22.

Just takes time. Casting and reloading are a hobby unto itself
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ETA:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until they try and ban military style ammo, etc.

ETA:

Well it's a good thing .223 is a sporting round.

I think mags are the low hanging fruit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#34]
It does hurt every time you pull that trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:29:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Ya know, if the US govt decides to stockpile ammo, [easy way to pull a lot of 9 and 5.56 off the market] it's going to make sales to us mere peons even tighter as they have first dibs at several companies. Blocking imports [EO] will just put the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're fucking stupid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You’ve been a member since 2001. Nobody to blame but yourself.

You're fucking stupid

Yeah the guy that learned from the past and prepared for the future is the stupid one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Shooting is no longer recreational for me. If I shoot it is to sight in weapons and know they're good to go. I've been having trouble with short stroking in new rifle builds and it is eating me up having to waste ammo to sort out the problems. But I'd rather have reliable rifles and less ammo than a ton of ammo and rifles that haven't been vetted. Food for thought for those that recently joined the club and haven't put many rounds down the tube of new firearms.

On the other hand I've given ammo to friends and family that were stuck in current shortages.  I'd rather have a prepared "society" than be on my own if things go bad. I bought mostly during salad days and I reload. Flipping ammo rubs me the wrong way personally.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought lots of different kinds of .22 firearms and stocked up on .22 because it was cheap for years [save for the panics] and a little money goes a long way in the .22 world. I've told friends to buy a .22 firearm that duplicates their primary firearm [usually pretty easy to do] so they could practice cheaply. Told them to buy several cases when it went on sale. Few did.

When CCI was on sale about 2 years ago at one of the site sponsors, I bought 18K rounds and my son bought a bunch also. Did we need it, nope, not really but it was cheap and free shipping to boot. Told local friends to get in on it, not one bought a single round. One just went out shooting a couple weeks ago and blasted up most of what they had. They went to the local gun shop/local stores and didn't have a clue what was going on but they didn't come home with a single replacement round of ammo.

I would probably sell off some more of my ammo save for the fact that so many people think I should sell it for around what I paid for it and not around what it's selling for now. Some get kind of pissy even when I quote them a price under what it's selling for right now. They want to buy CCI.22 for the $4 per 100 it was going for 2 years ago and not the $15-20 it sells for right now easily.

Don't even get me started on 5.56 or 9mm. They don't [or won't]understand that you can't sell ammo for less then the cost of replacement, doesn't matter what you paid for it initially.
View Quote

I shoot a lot of .22,  probably 90% of my shooting now is .22.  I am a moron though,  I started with .22, then got hooked into NRL22,  and now, my rifle cost more than any of my centerfire, and match .22 is about centerfire prices . The good news is, it's still *sorta* available. At least sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#39]
After Christmas I picked up a Winchester pellet rifle for this reason. 1100 fps, pretty accurate. Off a wobbly rest, I sighted it in at 25 yards, I was keeping it into less than 1/2 an inch. I picked up the rifle and 750 pointed lead pellets for $50. Its a little more quiet than a .22, and serves my need to shoot something.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:18:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Right now my cast 45 are cheaper than factory 22.

Just takes time. Casting and reloading are a hobby unto itself
View Quote

I really want to get into casting. I'm building a 300 BO pistol, 11"barrel, for subs.

I have been watching eBay like a hawk for an rcbs lead pot. They go FAST
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#41]
as much as i want a ar10. i think i should get a 7.62x39 cuz thats the only ammo ive seen for the last 2 weeks
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The 50bmg crowd feels this pretty frequently.

Then again, we're shooting 5 dollar bills.
View Quote
Yeah. You just kind of accept it after a while. But the upside of big bore, it's available and not any more expensive than it was before all this. I pay the same for M33 now that I did 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#43]
So many guns /optics that need to be zerod
Fuck
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Long term cost for a short term problem. Don't quit your day job. Company is there to make a profit providing goods and services. Pretty sure they are doing that. Not there to make you feel better about your lack of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Gotta dust off some surplus...Feels good, man.  
View Quote

And that's exactly what I did yesterday. Going back again today when it warms up a little.

Attachment Attached File

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top