Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is poor ?

What is not poor ?

I always did, do what I want... Buy what I want.... What would that be called ?
View Quote

Pedantic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I grew up poor in a wealthy community.

I learned a lot about human nature.  I didn't realize that I was poor until my mid teens.  I learned the difference between real human love and snobbery.
View Quote
i have yet to experience real human love.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
First Christmas tree I remember was a tumbleweed mom spray painted green.  Ate so many deer that I'll never have another.  Never took free or reduced lunches either.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Very little money but not poverty stricken. Dad died when I was a toddler so I was raised on SS checks. Mom supported and loved us but no ambition to improve our lot. Always had a roof, clean clothes, and a full belly even if it was fried baloney gravy on white bread. We had a house on the family farm along with my grandparents and my aunt and uncle's family.
Lots of playing in the creek, hauling hay, picking corn, hoeing taters, shooting guns, acorn fights, splitting wood and Baptist Sunday school.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an ulterior motive for this post. Im trying to convince my wife that we should sell every thing we have & buy some property in the middle of nowhere. Build a house that we can heat with a match. Im sick of traffic and ringing phones
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Checking in. Both parents were alcoholics and substance abusers. Parents split when I was young, and when she got her .gov check or child support payments they were spent within a few days. Never on food or essentials. Electricity and phone was frequently cut off and we had to rely on my grandparents giving us food. Grandparents also bought the house we lived in when my mother lost it due to not making payments. Didn’t have a heater or a/c in the house. The vehicles were always fucked up. Stepfather was a total loser who would show up on pay day and would be gone when the money dried up. They’d get into knock down drag out fights in a school night keeping us kids up until 2-3 o’clock on a school night. Looking back we should have had enough money to get by on easily, but when it goes to alcohol, drugs, and frivolous bullshit it doesn’t go far. Bad upbringing, but both my sister and I own our own homes, live stable lives, and know the value of a dollar.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in the same neighborhood that the show "Shameless" is portrayed. Similar upbringing.
Military made me conservative
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Today, i have more money then ive ever had. But im still poor
View Quote

Care to expound on that?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have an ulterior motive for this post. Im trying to convince my wife that we should sell every thing we have & buy some property in the middle of nowhere. Build a house that we can heat with a match. Im sick of traffic and ringing phones
View Quote

I'll take you at your word, but you are not trying to convince your wife that you would be better off poorer than you are now.  You want to get away from hassles.  Please phrase it in honest terms - You'll do better with your wife as you will among we horrible online anonymous critics.

Honesty pays.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Ended up homeless in my early teens due to my dad's drug addiction.

Thankfully my dad has been clean for 14 years and he is my best friend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
pics of wife who's okay with this?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who here grew up poor? Were you really poor?
View Quote
Dirt floor in the kitchen poor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking back on my childhood, I think we were house-poor.  I know my parents had our house built and it was always newer, nicer, bigger than my friend's and I took a weird pride in that as if I had something to do with it.  But then they'd go on cool vacations and we'd go to state park campgrounds, they'd get cool stuff for christmas and we'd get the same stuff 3 years later.  

So probably not "poor" but middle class trying to stretch it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
poor kid here...not food stamp poor but sometimes get food from church poor. My dad made great money for the 80s +$20 per hour but liked to gamble everything away.  He's still at it 40 years later without a pot to piss in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
poor , yes see @dphill sig line
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I grew up so poor I couldn’t pay attention.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll take you at your word, but you are not trying to convince your wife that you would be better off poorer than you are now.  You want to get away from hassles.  Please phrase it in honest terms - You'll do better with your wife as you will among we horrible online anonymous critics.

Honesty pays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honesty pays.

Sorry, im just venting. My wife bitches about big city life, but when i mention moving, she thinks im crazy
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
pics of wife who's okay with this?
View Quote

they dont exist, sorry
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

they dont exist, sorry
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes

I would lick her up and down
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#22]
"Working class" poor, maybe.
Dad worked pretty steady and Mom sold Avon to help make ends meet.
She sewed all our clothes, we grew our own veggies and bought milk and eggs from a farm down the road.
We had a B&W TV and a large rug in the living room (not wall to wall carpeting, but still damn nice to lay on to watch Saturday morning cartoons).
We knew we weren't rich, but never really felt poor.

We went to my grandparents' in the summer. Outhouse, no running water. I remember when they got electricity in the 60's--that was exciting!
So, no, compared to others, I guess we weren't poor.

I worry about my kids, though. My wife and I have done pretty well and gave them all the opportunities we had to earn.
When they encounter something they can't afford ("Can we go to Italy?!"), it disappoints and depresses them.
As kids, when we encountered something we couldn't afford (like a Tonka toy bulldozer), it wasn't even a question--we just moved on.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I would lick her up and down
View Quote
don't tell the wife.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Not poor but there was no money left over for anything fun.  It was a treat to get a bottle of pop on Saturday morning with my dad.  Mom and dad milked cows and we had pigs so we had food.  We just didn't have money.  What saved us is 46 acres of dirt in south central Iowa that we raised the cows, pigs and some hay and corn on.  We had a wood barn and a wood corn crib.  We had chickens for eggs.  We used a John Deere B to power an hammer mill to grind feed for the cows and pigs.  Dad used a long belt off of a pully on the John Deere to power the hammer mill.   In actuality we had a great little set up.  We just didn't have money.  

kwg
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your plan doesn't sound what the wife wants being you said "convince my wife" . But I don't know your wife. A lot of woman who would be dragged into living  "in the middle of nowhere" would not be happy. Unhappy wife is an unhappy life. But like I said, I don't know your wife and whether your marriage can survive that. That's your call. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#26]
circa 1970 Sacramento CA 7 YO, Mom handing me the welfare check to walk down to Lucky's to buy whatever

By 1975 I was in the foster care system for good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah, we pretty damn poor. I didn't know it then, though.
View Quote
Yup

Very poor
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your plan doesn't sound what the wife wants being you said "convince my wife" . But I don't know your wife. A lot of woman who would be dragged into living  "in the middle of nowhere" would not be happy. Unhappy wife is an unhappy life. But like I said, I don't know your wife and whether your marriage can survive that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your plan doesn't sound what the wife wants being you said "convince my wife" . But I don't know your wife. A lot of woman who would be dragged into living  "in the middle of nowhere" would not be happy. Unhappy wife is an unhappy life. But like I said, I don't know your wife and whether your marriage can survive that.

We have been married 32 years. If the wife doesnt want to move, we wont be moving
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Grew up middle class but I’m in the process of becoming poor do to separation and divorce.

Darkest of time of my life will be this year and I hope I can find the strength to make it through it. Outlook not so good right now lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Walking to the bus stop with ice and slush in my sneakers cause bottoms had holes, this was in NEW YORK. Going to bed with all my clothes on cause no heat. Washing clothes in the tub, drying them behind the oven. On the welfare...ma tried to do the best with two kids and pops bounced and shit...car was always beat down. As a kid I stole alot of shit. Didnt have alot to eat...it seemed everybody else...had it better.
Pops didnt give me shit but broken promises! Showed me how NOT to be a father.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Not truly poor because we never went hungry, but there were a few years when we moved quite a bit because Mom was having trouble getting us a permanent residence. We definitely didn't have much money for extras, but I think my 80s/90s childhood was still pretty cool, all things considered.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's been my Master Plan all my life.   Sad thing is, you can ALWAYS find somebody poorer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Early childhood was solid middle class. Teenage years were dirt poor. It certainly had an effect on who I am now. I work harder every day to assure my children never have to experience the same.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Poor in my teen years, and we knew it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Early childhood was solid middle class. Teenage years were dirt poor. It certainly had an effect on who I am now. I work harder every day to assure my children never have to experience the same.
View Quote
growing up poor convinced me to never have kids.

it's worked out well so far.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sorry, im just venting. My wife bitches about big city life, but when i mention moving, she thinks im crazy
View Quote

Big city in South Dakota  ???? Hell we travel out there to get away from big city life !
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So was I. I dont recall feeling poor though
View Quote

This as well for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I was homeless living on the streets from 12-18. I've eaten out if garbage cans before. I've sleep in trees, roofs and anywhere I could find shelter, preferably off the ground as I learned early the ground is dangerous place to try and sleep
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Early in my childhood. Clothes from Goodwill/Salvation Army.

My family rented and shared an apartment with several of my uncles as we couldn't afford our own. And since there were so many of us and we didn't have enough dishes, we had to take turns eating.

Christmas gifts were usually a mixed bag of Salvation Army toys, mostly the little toys that came with Happy Meals.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was government cheese poor. My childhood was amazing though.
View Quote

Kind of....

when my parents split we would have easily qualified for public assistance.  My mother had more pride than that and worked two or three jobs.  Years later she said she was probably stupid for not getting help.

Lots of mac and cheese, carnation powdered milk, hot dogs and beans, spagetti, black label no name breakfast cereal, usually puffed rice or corn flakes.   Hand me down clothes, etc.   Winter time running out of heating oil or propane.  

As a kid we were poor but we kids didn’t really know it.  We got by, are more self reliant adults with developed coping skills.

She always managed to get us shoes and clothes.  They might not be new that year but you had someting.  

The thing that probably set her finance back a lot was keeping us in Catholic Schools.   i did K through 8 before going to a public high school.  In the old days that kind of education was valued.  We got excellent three R’s there.  The rest was fair.   Couldn’t compare to public schools for science, sports, or the arts.  The were frugal in those categories.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My family didn't become poor until around 2010. As a kid, we owned a body shop, I went to private school, my cousins also went to private school. My grandparents had a huge fifth wheel rv and brand new dually diesel to tow it. They traveled the country. Then we lost our direct repair programs because insurance companies are evil. Now my 75 year old grandma is broke and still works. We had to sell the shop. Been in a lawsuit since 2013 against like 30 insurance companies. My poor story is backwards
View Quote

I have an autoglass shop. Now safelite is the third party admin for many of the insurance companies. They short pay or steal my jobs telling people they have to use SL glass. They are also foreign owned. Screw SL
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#43]
low-middle class
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a lot of "stuff" What i wouldnt give to have less "stuff"
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Big city in South Dakota  ???? Hell we travel out there to get away from big city life !
View Quote

Ever been to Sioux Falls?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I was born in 53. Dad was a handyman, painter, jack of many trades guy.
My Mom worked in a local diner as a short order cook for 20+ years.
In the winter Dad cut pulp wood & Mom worked in a clam shop.
There wasn't a lot of money to go around but we got by.
They got government surplus food but tried to be last in line to avoid town gossip.
I always had decent clothes, never went hungry, was never abused and was never cold.
Our home had 3 rooms and a closet plus a mud room for the entry.
Kitchen & living room were one, folks room, my room and the closet served at the bathroom.
This had a "slop jar" and a piss pot for night time needs.
We had no running water & had to get it from a local spring.
Bath time was in the kitchen with water heated on a wood stove and a small tub.
We had an outhouse on the property line and kept the toilet seat hung behind the stove.
That makes a BIG difference when its below zero outside.
School was a 3 room school house with flush toilets and all the amenities.
There was no cafeteria, we brought lunch in bags or lunch buckets.
I never considered myself or my family as poor.
Sure, I was jealous of some kids that had cooler toys or better bicycles.
But we all played together, fought together, and covered each others asses.
All things considered I guess we had it pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Butter and sugar sandwiches
Childhood was totally kick ass though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How about wood burning stove and no running water when I was a child?

Does that count?

I used an outhouse until about 1980 when I was around 3 or 4.
View Quote

I lived in an old farm house at one point in the early 80's, same thing. No running water, wood stove, and outhouse. That's pretty poor even by 1980's standards.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Until I was about 8 we lived in a tar papered, 4 room, board shack.
No running water, outhouse, coal stove for heat.

Never knew we were poor until people said we were.

We never once accepted government handouts either. My father busted his ass to better our situation, we all did.

When we bought and moved into a singlewide trailer, with a gas furnace and running water, I though we were really living high on the hog.
Then my dad started building our house, we moved in when I was 14.
My fathers gone now and I still live in that house.

I still don't have much money, but I appreciate all I have.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have we travel I90 over to Wood area every year.  Been to White river yes I would be looking to move asap .
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top