Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both my boomer parents graduated high school then went down to the big factory and started jobs they held for the next 40 years.

That opportunity isnt there anymore, and probably never will be again.
View Quote

Yep.  The world has changed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yep.  The world has changed.
View Quote
improvise, adapt, overcome, or fucking die trying.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wages have not risen with inflation.

The dollar buys way less than it did decades ago.

My father bought a new 68 Corvette L88 in 1968 for 5800.00

That equivalent corvette would be almost 100k.  That dollar has not risen that much in value.
View Quote

A comparable car isn't even in the same league these days though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The important thing here is that all of you are racist and should pay reparations accordingly.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unless you're uninsurable there are much better ways to take care of a family. No way I would want my liquidity tied up in a house. A 30 year mortgage makes a lot more sense for someone that knows how to manage their assets, so its not the horrible thing you keep making it out to be.
View Quote

You do you. However i feel sorry for your family if you leave them to have to deal with your debt after your gone.

I haven't had a mortgage payment in over 5 years. And ill never have one again for the rest of my life. Im 38, so hopefully that's a long time. We have way more disposable income than we had when we had a mortgage.

Are you also pro student debt?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The important thing here is that all of you are racist and should pay reparations accordingly.  

https://psmag.com/.image/t_share/MTMxMjI3OTk2MTY1MDIwMTI2/5-81png.png
View Quote

Depends a lot on the black people. A husband and wife who don't bother anybody? Yeah, why not? Bubb Rubb and Lil Sis? Fuck off. But that goes for the white people version of Bubb Rubb too
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Staying some place for ten years is often a mistake these days., sadly.

Besides, big jumps in pay often come from moving to another company,  not moving up on the same company.   Moving up in your employer should be seen as experience to get you a better job somewhere else.
View Quote

Agree.

Ultimately I used my experience to start my own company.

Unfortunately the company i worked for was pretty much the last of a now dead industry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The ones who go into the trades are doing ok.

Most college degrees are worthless and overpriced.

View Quote

it depends a lot on the person and their motivation and initiative.

There are people with Finance degrees who don't have a job upon graduation because they are lazy.

There are people in the trades who cannot hold a steady job because they cannot show up on time, or whatever, and get fired.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
internet pron.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Internet
internet pron.

C’mon guys, there was no internet in 85’
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a Boomer and not a Millennial, but when I looked at my own circumstances, I figured out that I needed to get my own shit in order, prioritize, pay off student debt and plan for the future that comes at you pretty fucking fast.

Not worrying about the next phone that comes out, my data plan, Hulu and Netflix premium account payments and buying $5 coffees while sitting around bitching about it while daydreaming about UBI.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Agree.

Ultimately I used my experience to start my own company.

Unfortunately the company i worked for was pretty much the last of a now dead industry.
View Quote

My grandfather got home from a hitch in the Corps in Korea in 1953. Got a job at IBM. He would have been 24 at the time. He fixed mainframes until he got 80 and outted at 58. Pension, health insurance, all that stuff. He lived to be about 85. His brother got on at IBM doing the same thing and he got retired in his very late 40s.

In literally a million years, that would never happen to me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cars could be argued. They're disposable now like most things. Harder to work on and service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drink folgers every morning. Everything else is true though.

Cars could be argued. They're disposable now like most things. Harder to work on and service.

wat

I was there in the 80s, man.  Cars are more durable and reliable today than ever, far more than 1980s cars.  They require less maintenance than 1980s cars.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My wife's granddaughter is a genx and she is pretty smart. She chose a reccession proof career too.

She went to school to be a mortician and just passed her state exam. Been working for over a year now. Making great money too.

But she some how knew what she wanted to be even at a young age, go figure. How many kids say they want to work on deaf bodies lol

Btw she just turned 25 think that's a gen x to be honest I never kept up on this garbage until people started using as a reason for sucking in life and blaming others for being failures
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm genx.  Just replaced the battery in iphone 7.  Was told that was stupid by millenial because iphone 12 had way better camera and was faster.  Iphone 7 isn't slow and camera is fine for what I use it for.  Spending $1200 every 2 years on the latest iphone adds up.

My wife's granddaughter is a genx and she is pretty smart. She chose a reccession proof career too.

She went to school to be a mortician and just passed her state exam. Been working for over a year now. Making great money too.

But she some how knew what she wanted to be even at a young age, go figure. How many kids say they want to work on deaf bodies lol

Btw she just turned 25 think that's a gen x to be honest I never kept up on this garbage until people started using as a reason for sucking in life and blaming others for being failures
She is not gen x. I'm 42 and barely missed being a millenial.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My grandfather got home from a hitch in the Corps in Korea in 1953. Got a job at IBM. He would have been 24 at the time. He fixed mainframes until he got 80 and outted at 58. Pension, health insurance, all that stuff. He lived to be about 85. His brother got on at IBM doing the same thing and he got retired in his very late 40s.

In literally a million years, that would never happen to me.
View Quote
so what else you got going?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There are people with Finance degrees who don't have a job upon graduation because they are lazy.

There are people in the trades who cannot hold a steady job because they cannot show up on time, or whatever, and get fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

College [should] teaches one how to learn, not how to work. That comes from within.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Unless you're uninsurable there are much better ways to take care of a family. No way I would want my liquidity tied up in a house. A 30 year mortgage makes a lot more sense for someone that knows how to manage their assets, so its not the horrible thing you keep making it out to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone pay cash for a house when interest rates are at all time lows?

Because if i die tomorrow, my kids and my wife would be able to survive on our savings, or on low paying jobs, for a couple years without having to worry about losing or selling their home, giving them enough time to move past their dependence on me.

My home will always be a home, even after people are paying 1k usd for a loaf of bread.

My wife could also go to work tomorrow and make more than me, but we have made the sacrifice so she can be a homemaker and homeschool our kids.

Ultimately though, its because i dont want to be dependent on banks and lenders for my status in life.

You may come out money ahead using that money to invest rather then buy a home, but there is something to be said for the security of it. The market may crash or the dollar may tank. Might be nice to own a home if it all hits the fan.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone pay cash for a house when interest rates are at all time lows?

Because if i die tomorrow, my kids and my wife would be able to survive on our savings, or on low paying jobs, for a couple years without having to worry about losing or selling their home, giving them enough time to move past their dependence on me.

My home will always be a home, even after people are paying 1k usd for a loaf of bread.

My wife could also go to work tomorrow and make more than me, but we have made the sacrifice so she can be a homemaker and homeschool our kids.

Ultimately though, its because i dont want to be dependent on banks and lenders for my status in life.

This.  Jesus.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bet they all have $1400 smart phones and $150 a month data plans.
View Quote

I’ve got a 12 Pro Max and carry a Staccato P Duo. I also work 60 hours a week and have no social life
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel sorry for future generations. I think we're looking at what Japan has gone through for decades without the social cohesion they have.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

wat

I was there in the 80s, man.  Cars are more durable and reliable today than ever, far more than 1980s cars.  They require less maintenance than 1980s cars.
View Quote

The tech and ergonomics have increased, but the quality of materials used in production have decreased.

Ram a car from the 60's into a car from this year for proof.

Sure you will get more mileage out of your 2020 honda civic than you would in any car from the 60's. But have a minor slide into a curb in the winter in that honda and its totaled.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've got a 12 Pro Max and carry a Staccato P Duo. I also work 60 hours a week and have no social life
View Quote
lots of great free HD interweb pron to view on that phone, though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This.  Jesus.
View Quote

But Dave Ramsey said...
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I am Gen X.  I was raised by and listened to my boomer parents.  I'm doing very well.

I hear millenials with their "ok boomer" attitude and laugh.  They have every excuse under the sun as to why they are still living in their mom's basement but its all just BS they tell themselves.

Maybe if they spent more time listening to boomers and trying to emulate them, they'd be fine.  My brother in law is a millenial with the same shit excuses.  I told him to quit it and pay attention.  Hes now 37 and on the verge of taking over and owning the company he works for from its boomer owner.

Disrespecting and mocking a generation who crushed it on wealth accumulation and then complaining that you have no wealth should be your first clue you're and idiot

If this post insulted you, find a successful boomer and bring a note pad.  If it didn't, you likely don't mock boomers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
so what else you got going?
View Quote

I'm just saying he was born on a different planet than me. A pre Jack Welsh planet
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I should add, never before in history have so many privately held companies been looking for new leadership and ownership...yet these dumbass kids don't see the amazing opportunity in front of them.

Instead they make excuses and mock the very folks who own those business.

Guess who mentored me and sold me their business...hint, it was a boomer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a 12 Pro Max and carry a Staccato P Duo. I also work 60 hours a week and have no social life

Get real, that’s what my previous Samsung is for
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My youngest brother-in-law is 18.  He's got no marketable skills.  Can't do anything but stay up until 5 AM playing PS4 and sleeping until 1 or 2 in the afternoon.  His mom is coddling him and allowing him to continue this lifestyle. He has no job. No friends that he meets face-to-face.  No ambition.  He hasn't bathed in a week.  

The future is fucked.
View Quote

That's his mom's fault as much as it's his. She needs to tell him to suck it up, get a damn job, and stop being a worthless piece of shit. I know my mom would if I was like that worthless piece of shit.

Quoted:

Are we brothers ?

Sounds like me to a T. Same age, Ive always worked and lived on my own. Bought my own home at 30 and I stay out of trouble. If my dumb ass can do it anyone with a hint of drive can do it too.
View Quote

But that's the problem. A lot of them don't have the drive. They coast through life depending on someone else to keep them afloat or bail them out (financially); like their parents, or the government (which is basically doing that very thing).
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:53:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You may come out money ahead using that money to invest rather then buy a home, but there is something to be said for the security of it. The market may crash or the dollar may tank. Might be nice to own a home if it all hits the fan.

View Quote

I also have way more disposable income without dipping into savings.

I dont fault people taking a mortgage with the intent to pay it off one day. What i take issue with is people taking mortgages that they never intend to pay down, and then complaining about living paycheck to paycheck while taking cruises and other frivolous vacations every year, buying RV's, boats, 5 cars, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I am Gen X.  I was raised by and listened to my boomer parents.  I'm doing very well.

I hear millenials with their "ok boomer" attitude and laugh.  They have every excise under the sun as to why they are still living in their mom's basement but its all just BS they tell themselves.

Maybe if they spent more time listening to boomers and trying to emulate them, they'd be fine.  My brother in law was a boomer with the same shirt excuses.  I told him to quit it and pay attention.  Hes now 37 and on the verge of taking over and owning the company he works for from its boomer owner.

Disrespecting and mocking a generation who crushed it on wealth accumulation and then complaining that you have no wealth should be your first clue you're and idiot

If this post insulted you, find a successful boomer and bring a note pad.  If it didn't, you likely don't mock boomers.
View Quote

And they amassed wealth for the most part without the technology we all enjoy now in our pockets, on demand 24/7.
I don't ever mock them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The mass entrance of women into the work force devalued the labor hour. It’s basic supply and demand
View Quote

This has been a huge factor
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm genx.  Just replaced the battery in iphone 7.  Was told that was stupid by millenial because iphone 12 had way better camera and was faster.  Iphone 7 isn't slow and camera is fine for what I use it for.  Spending $1200 every 2 years on the latest iphone adds up.

25 ain’t even a millennial anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#32]
My son graduated with a degree in computer science this spring from UCF. A week later he started a job in Tampa and got his own apartment. He's closing on a new house this week. The credit union that he used the whole time he was in college, pre-approved him for a 95% mortgage.
He was born in 1995 so I guess he's the last year of the millennials. I think you'll do just fine.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wages have not risen with inflation.

The dollar buys way less than it did decades ago.

My father bought a new 68 Corvette L88 in 1968 for 5800.00

That equivalent corvette would be almost 100k.  That dollar has not risen that much in value.
View Quote

Not true. There was no equivalent Corvette to what is available today for $100k back in 1968 at any price.

Certainly not in terms of performance, technology, fit and finish, etc. There was a car available in 1968 called "Corvette", but other than the name they don't have a lot in common.

This is the same as the fallacy made when comparing home prices in the past with today. Back in 1968, the average home was probably 1100 ~ 1400 sq ft. Today it's probably double that. With a lot more amenities. I can't ever remember seeing anyone with granite countertops back then.

So sure, housing prices have risen. But the houses between then and now are also very different.

Unless you're comparing something simple like a loaf of bread or a gallon of gasoline, it's very difficult to compare prices of consumer good between the past and today, because the goods themselves have changed quite radically in many cases.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's his mom's fault as much as it's his. She needs to tell him to suck it up, get a damn job, and stop being a worthless piece of shit. I know my mom would if I was like that worthless piece of shit.

But that's the problem. A lot of them don't have the drive. They coast through life depending on someone else to keep them afloat or bail them out (financially); like their parents, or the government (which is basically doing that very thing).
View Quote

People respond to incentive. Back in the day, a man wanted sex, he got married. The price of admission for marriage was a job. So what did guys do? They got a job. Now, you want sex? Cultivate a reputation for being a wife beater or a drug dealer, you'll never be alone.

Normal guys, they look at what the dating pool is, they realize that working a stiff ass job won't buy them a markedly higher level in the dating game, so what's the point? I can work 80 hours a week at a job I hate for still bad marriage prospects or I can work part time, live with three other dudes and numb the pain with weed, porn, and ps4? Tough choice
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The tech and ergonomics have increased, but the quality of materials used in production have decreased.

Sure you will get more mileage out of your 2020 honda civic than you would in any car from the 60's. But have a minor slide into a curb in the winter in that honda and its totaled.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

Sigh.

Let me explain this to you in small words.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require cars to have crumple zones and other safety features to increase occupant safety.

The reason cars today collapse into small pieces in wrecks is so that the car absorbs the energy from the impact -- preventing the body from absorbing all that energy.  

Those wrecks in which the front end of the modern car shredded?  Look at how many of those cases in which the occupants of that car suffered minor or no injuries.  "The driver walked away" happens 10000x more than 1960s-80s cars.

Those wrecks in Muh DEEEtroit Steel Didn't Collapse vehicles from the 1950s-1980s?  The bodies of the occupants got all sorts of fucked up because the hard steel body/frame transmitted ALL the impact force to the bodies of the occupants.  

If you in your 1980s car rammed into me in my 2010s car, you'd be far more fucked up than I am.  It's not because modern vehicles are fragile, it's because they are designed for survivability.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

But Dave Ramsey said...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Jesus.

But Dave Ramsey said...

Dave Ramsey also agrees with Term Life Insurance.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

People respond to incentive. Back in the day, a man wanted sex, he got married. The price of admission for marriage was a job. So what did guys do? They got a job. Now, you want sex? Cultivate a reputation for being a wife beater or a drug dealer, you'll never be alone.

Normal guys, they look at what the dating pool is, they realize that working a stiff ass job won't buy them a markedly higher level in the dating game, so what's the point? I can work 80 hours a week at a job I hate for still bad marriage prospects or I can work part time, live with three other dudes and numb the pain with weed, porn, and ps4? Tough choice
View Quote
this is merica.

make more fucking money.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not true. There was no equivalent Corvette to what is available today for $100k back in 1968 at any price.

Certainly not in terms of performance, technology, fit and finish, etc. There was a car available in 1968 called "Corvette", but other than the name they don't have a lot in common.

This is the same as the fallacy made when comparing home prices in the past with today. Back in 1968, the average home was probably 1100 ~ 1400 sq ft. Today it's probably double that. With a lot more amenities. I can't ever remember seeing anyone with granite countertops back then.

So sure, housing prices have risen. But the houses between then and now are also very different.

Unless you're comparing something simple like a loaf of bread or a gallon of gasoline, it's very difficult to compare prices of consumer good between the past and today, because the goods themselves have changed quite radically in many cases.

View Quote

I dunno about the housing. How many houses built in 2020 do you expect to still be standing 100 years from now?

Plenty of homes built in the early 1900's still standing. Hell, a lot of them a 3k+ sqft.

I had a home that was built in the 50's once. it was 3600 sqft. Thing was built like a tank.

Finishing and technology will always evolve, but modern stick built homes will never stand up to the quality of homes of the past.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
trickle down bullshit

https://i.imgur.com/wowleRQ.png
View Quote

Keep on mind, the “top 1%” they are getting you all fired up over is a sleight of hand.

They want you to confuse affluent people with the rich/wealthy.

The top 0.01%,
This is who has 10-20 million coming in a year.  Movie stars, entertainment moguls, top professional athletes, generational wealth, major industry leaders, major financial institutions, etc,
They are heavily protected from typical taxation by trusts, foundations, business modeling, etc.  They are able to maintain lavish lifestyles often not significantly impacting their personnel assets.  Not surprisingly, career politicians are other major players here.

The next tier, the top 0.1%, are fairly centered around 1.5 to 3 million coming in a year.  Some of these are actual, productive business owners who busted knuckles for decades to get to this point, but this is heavily over represented by people making money off of other people.  A non physician hospital administrator, and insurance company executive, financial service, a staffing agency, etc.  They frequently have a lot of benefits the company can count as expenses and overhead, but the individual is not taxed on.  A condo near work.  A car and driver.  An expense account that provides a lot of high end meals and entertainment.  They, while not at the level of the top 0.01%, are still very capable of isolation from significant portions of taxation, and able to elevate portions of their lifestyle from non personal assets.

So, the above two groups are essentially the “Top 1% of the top 1%” and the “Next top 9% of the top 1%”
90% of the top 1% are not like that.  

As many here actually understand, ‘wealth” is not a fixed pie.  A neurosurgeon working 80 hours a week and making $1,000,000 dollars a year is not “stealing” someone else’s wealth. If I invent a luminous material that flows all night without being charged, but is non radioactive and has no half life, and has way better Lume for longer than current luminescent materials, and night sight makers and watch dial makers buy it and make me rich, I have not stolen someone else’s wealth.  Just like if you make a new game or toy people buy.

The above two groups are often a very different story.  The insurance executive strives to take in as much as possible in premiums from employers and workers.  They go to great lengths to pay out as little as possible.  The Bill you get stuck with they found a way not to cover, and the pay the neurosurgeon, anesthesiologist, and equipment costs, etc. did not get, goes in their pocket.  The savings from a CEO’s decision to salary 10,000 workers that increase his bonuses are literally out of the pockets of those 10,000 workers that previously would have received additional hourly pay or overtime.  The company that closed a facility in America, and now decreased annual expenses by $87,000,000 a year essentially split those savings between 20 senior partners and executives.  It also put 400 people out of work.  Creating further downhill impacts to the economy as they took their kids out of private school, had their big SUV repossessed, fired their yard guy, stopped taking their bikes to the local shop for service, decided not to get a pool, decided not to restore their Trans Am from high school, etc.    The 20 guys who got the money instead were already peaked out on local spending, it’s not really going into the economy the same way.  So, while wealth is not a fixed pie, there is definitely wealth concentration occurring and having adverse effects.  The two geniuses with a ChemE doctorate and a Materials Science Ph.D. going to work at a car company trying to make better batteries are NOT who is keeping wealth and opportunity from the guy with an IQ of 87 and no desire to work.  The guy who worked 90 hours a week for fifteen years and now has a dozen storage rental facilities and two McDonalds franchises is NOT why the 24 year old chick with no husband and and has four different looking kids is on welfare.  But, the politician who received millions in campaign contributions from environmental activist groups, and the owner/executive who went from making 11 million a year to 16 million a year, by closing his US plant and putting it in Mexico, may very well be the reason your nephew has been working at autozone with no benefits the past six years instead of having a decent plant job.  He’s not college material in the sense that he could knock out a good paying, hard degree.  He could be a lineman or welder, but there are no jobs for hours in his area and his wife can’t move because they help take care of her mother.

Now, the majority of the “top 1%” is not concentrated like the top 10% of the top 1%.

About 40% of the top 1% is concentrated around 750K to one million.
The other / bottom 50% of the top 1% is concentrated around 500-600K a year.

This is frequently first generation wealth.  About even divided from affluent and non affluent backgrounds.  This is the American dream.  It is not usually fallen into.  It often requires long, difficult, and arduous education, training, and is typically built up to over years.  Sure, some are just making money off the efforts of others, some lucked into real estate, etc.  But for the most part this is the guy became a trauma surgeon, or a married couple of pediatricians with a combined income, or a hard working plumber in an area that grew and now has half a dozen trucks/crews.  This group is very vulnerable to and hammered by taxation.  With little opportunity for the protections and benefits.  

They are also the prime “Trickle Down” group.  When a guy with 20 million coming in a year gets 22 Million coming in instead, or saves 2 million in taxes, there is little to no change to the local economy.
When a tax cut puts an extra $1200 dollars in someone’s pocket at the lower end of the scale, they go to Walmart and buy a new bike for their kids and a new, bigger TV.  Basically a transaction on goods imported from China handed to them and rang up by minimum wage service workers.  When someone’s tax cut puts an extra $12,000 in their pocket, they buy an expensive American made bike from a local business owner with a little big shop.  They have a local company do the paint and body work on their trans am from high school.  Or they get new kitchen cabinets from a local small business owner.
This is important.

The politicians and very wealthy want you to think of the top 1%, and even the top 10% overall, as these wealthy, undeserving, fat cats who need to pay more of their fair share.  Keep in mind the very wealthy are protected from this.  The rest of the top 1% that is not pays the bulk of over 1/3 of the annual tax revenue.
The next 9% pay another 1/3.
The next 40% pay another 1/3.
Half the population is not contributing at all to the tax revenue and many of which are leeching off of it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I dunno about the housing. How many houses built in 2020 do you expect to still be standing 100 years from now?

Plenty of homes built in the early 1900's still standing. Hell, a lot of them a 3k+ sqft.

I had a home that was built in the 50's once. it was 3600 sqft. Thing was built like a tank.

Finishing and technology will always evolve, but modern stick built homes will never stand up to the quality of homes of the past.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Homes are built much better these days. You're suffering from survivorship bias.

This article just reminds me that no matter what, it's always someone else's fault.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
this is merica.

make more fucking money.

View Quote

Why though? Men don't want much, that's why we account for 20% of consumer spending. Most dudes, put them in a room with bare white walls, a white lawn chair, and a TV hooked up to a ps4 and they'll be perfectly happy. Women will never understand this.

If a man can be happy with so little effort, and when 85% of the dating pool is fat hogs with somebody else's kids already, I don't blame anybody for dropping out
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#42]
don't care, they all "appear" to have a significant higher standard of living than I do.
I had a kid tell me other day that he buys what ever the latest phone every year is because
"that's what I do"
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Why though? Men don't want much, that's why we account for 20% of consumer spending. Most dudes, put them in a room with bare white walls, a white lawn chair, and a TV hooked up to a ps4 and they'll be perfectly happy. Women will never understand this.

If a man can be happy with so little effort, and when 85% of the dating pool is fat hogs with somebody else's kids already, I don't blame anybody for dropping out
View Quote
a human being's sole purpose in life is to reproduce.

if a man chooses to not be productive and seek a high quality mate to reproduce with, what's the point?

as i said:  this is merica.  make more fucking money.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sigh.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards require cars to have crumple zones and other safety features to increase occupant safety.

The reason cars today collapse into small pieces in wrecks is so that the car absorbs the energy from the impact -- preventing the body from absorbing all that energy.  

Those wrecks in which the front end of the modern car shredded?  Look at how many of those cases in which the occupants of that car suffered minor or no injuries.  "The driver walked away" happens 10000x more than 1960s-80s cars.

Those wrecks in Muh DEEEtroit Steel Didn't Collapse vehicles from the 1950s-1980s?  The bodies of the occupants got all sorts of fucked up because the hard steel body/frame transmitted ALL the impact force to the bodies of the occupants.  

If you in your 1980s car rammed into me in my 2010s car, you'd be far more fucked up than I am.  It's not because modern vehicles are fragile, it's because they are designed for survivability.

View Quote

I understand modern safety standards. I also understand that if you ram your honda civic head on into my 73 mercedes 280 at 15 mph, your gonna be the one having the bad day.

I also know that if my 73 vehicle slides into a curb at low speed, im going to have minor damages and walk away just fine. If you do the same in a Honda, its likely totaled, your gonna have an air bag deploy, and your gonna have a shit day.

Most vehicle accidents are low impact low speed accidents. Im not gonna die or have major injuries likely from a 15 MPH wreck in any vehicle, but in a modern vehicle, the vehicle gets fucked.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except most jobs require a college degree.

Honestly, trades will likely suffer the most with the emergence if AI and automation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
a human being's sole purpose in life is to reproduce.

if a man chooses to not be productive and seek a high quality mate to reproduce with, what's the point?

as i said:  this is merica.  make more fucking money.  
View Quote

You ever read an arfcom divorce thread? More money can can you into a lot of trouble, but it doesn't necessarily get you out of it
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Sigh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

Sigh.

This. We have made exponential leaps in safety an survivability over the last 20-30 years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You ever read an arfcom divorce thread? More money can can you into a lot of trouble, but it doesn't necessarily get you out of it
View Quote
i didn't say "get married."

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Having actually driven cars of this era when new on a daily basis I can tell you that you don't know what you're talking about.

In the 60s and 70s, when a car was approaching about 60k miles, it was common to start thinking about trading for a new one. You might not trade at 60k, but that was about the time you starting saving funds and figuring out what you might want next.  At 100k miles. you really had an old worn out car in most cases.  You were looking at a pretty thorough engine and transmission overhaul on the near horizon.

Even more, during those miles you worked on your car a lot more than today. Filing points, replacing condensers, belts, hoses, etc. Carburetors needed damned near constant fiddling with. I had cars that I had to screw around with the mixture pretty much seasonally as the weather went from hot to cold and back again.  I had a '71 LTD that just about would not crank at temperatures below about 20F.  We didn't see those temps too often where I lived, but for the life of me I could never understand how anyone could own one of those cars in the Northern states. I guess you probably kept it in a garage on a block heater to be able to crank it.

And the bodies rusted to shit some times even in areas like mine that never salted the roads.

Modern cars are better in almost every possible way except possibly styling.

You're biased because the 1960s cars you see today are mostly garage queens that have been pretty intensely restored, often times with modern upgrades (electronic pointless ignition for instance, fuel injection perhaps) and are driven very sparingly in near perfect weather.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Homes are built much better these days. You're suffering from survivorship bias.

This article just reminds me that no matter what, it's always someone else's fault.
View Quote

Sure they are...

Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top