Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
trickle down bullshit

https://i.imgur.com/wowleRQ.png
View Quote

Now graph night vision ownership over time. Those poor boomers just had shitty flashlights.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
trickle down bullshit

View Quote

That's a neat graphic, but it ignores the fact that corporate taxes are a fiction.

Do you think Amazon, Apple, or Proctor and Gamble pay taxes? Of course not. Their customers pay the taxes. If you increase corporate taxes those increases will roll right down to the price on their products. Your Amazon Prime costs goes up. The price of your iPhone goes up. Even the cost of your toothpaste goes up. Taxes are merely a business operating expense which like the cost of materials or labor are ultimately passed on to the end consumer.

Corporations don't pay taxes. People pay taxes. And the only people that pay taxes are the people at the very end of the economic chain that have no person to pass along their taxes to as an operating cost.  In other words, end consumers like you and me.

I don't oppose corporate taxes unequivocally. They are in many cases efficient economic choke points from which to collect taxes. But people should be absolutely clear about who is actually paying those taxes.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
trickle down bullshit

View Quote

It is if you fail at capturing and growing it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What a dumb comparison. I literally could not do my job without a smartphone, or get jobs without it. Not that I'm paying $150 a month, but times change.
View Quote
How's it stupid?

It's still a new high expense, and a luxury for most.

If it's that big of a requirement for your job maybe negotiate it as part of your employment.

I'm still using an iPhone 6 but I do suppose it's time for something new. I'm still not going for the latest and greatest.

I have a nice home, a wife that hasn't worked basically all last year, a job that pays well under 6 figures and fuckers still get me for well over $20k in taxes/insurance.

And I still manage to save. I max out my IRA and contribute 5% to my 401k and grow my savings. 0 debt besides the mortgage.  And still buy cool shit.

Its all about a budget. I understand I can't have everything.

Way too many people don't seem to understand how all their little purchases really add up. They hemorrhage money and don't know how to stop it. They want it all without the means then bitch about how it isn't fair.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Most millenials and most boomers will blame the other for financial woes. That's just the way it is. People in general tend shirk responsibility rather than look at their own behaviors and learn from them.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ones who go into the trades are doing ok.
View Quote

My millennial friend in NY became an operating engineer, he's doing amazing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How's it stupid?

If it's that big of a requirement for your job maybe negotiate it as part of your employment.

I'm still using an iPhone 6 but I do suppose it's time for something new. I'm still not going for something new.

I have a nice home, a wife that hasn't worked basically all last year, a job that pays well under 6 figures and fuckers still get me for well over $20k in taxes/insurance.

And I still manage to save. I max out my IRA and contribute 5% to my 401k and grow my savings. 0 debt besides the mortgage.  And still buy cool shit.

Way too many people don't seem to understand how all their little purchases really add up. They hemorrhage money and don't know how to stop it. They want it all without the means then bitch about how it isn't fair.

View Quote

I would argue that a smart phone in 2021 is not a luxury, and far from a "new" expense. And I do get paid $100 a day for my phone and Macbook at work.

But saying millennials are financially dumb and it's because they own smart phones, is dumb.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How's it stupid?

I'm still using an iPhone 6 but I do suppose it's time for something new. I'm still not going for something new.

View Quote

LOL

Negotiate it as part of your employment.  Yea, right.  If we tried to negotiate anything,  we would be told that someone else will do it for less.  You can't negotiate with large corporations.   There are literally tens of thousands of people that would love to have your job and probably would take less money too.

Are there some very specialized,  high demand jobs that people can really negotiate terms?  Yea.  Does that apply to most people?  Not even close.

There is no one out there that is so skilled or valuable they can't be replaced.  Period. It's a national job market, if not a global one.  When we hired new managers recently,  we interviewed people from all across the country. You aren't competing with people in your town or in your office building.  You're competing against everyone in the United States and possibly beyond.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would argue that a smart phone in 2021 is not a luxury, and far from a "new" expense. And I do get paid $100 a day for my phone and Macbook at work.

But saying millennials are financially dumb and it's because they own smart phones, is dumb.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How's it stupid?

This is literally my point. A smart phone might be a necessity, ok. On one hand you can buy a few generations old or a different brand. On the other you can buy a $1000+ latest gen iPhone. But people don't consider that cost because it's all rolled into the bill that's small enough people think it's something they can afford.

It's all about choices.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
There's plenty of blame to go around.

Yes, Millennials and Zillennials as a group tend to live beyond their means and like to buy more stupid shit than you can shake a stick at. If you're in your mid 30's with a low income job buying some expensive limited edition Star Wars action figure you need to really re-access your priorities in life.

On the other hand, their Boomer and Gen-X parents have created a federal government that lives well beyond it's means mainly so it can give benefits to people like themselves.  

No generation in this country has behaved responsibly for a long time now.

That irresponsibility is now coming home to roost.

I feel sorry for the generations about to arrive on the scene. They are going to get handed all the burdens and none of the rewards.  Absolutely shameful.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And Starbucks every day 2 or 3 meals out every day along with whatever the latest fidget spinner is.
View Quote

I don’t drink shitbucks, but I did drunk buy a Kubota tractor during Covid and live on 1/8th of an acre.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yes, Millennials and Zillennials as a group tend to live beyond their means and like to buy more stupid shit than you can shake a stick at. If you're in your mid 30's with a low income job buying some expensive limited edition Star Wars action figure you need to really re-access your priorities in life.

On the other hand, their Boomer and Gen-X parents have created a federal government that lives well beyond it's means mainly so it can give benefits to people like themselves.  

I feel sorry for the generations about to arrive on the scene. They are going to get all the burden and none of the rewards. Shameful.

View Quote
Almost makes you feel like the sucker for doing the right things
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And Starbucks every day 2 or 3 meals out every day along with whatever the latest fidget spinner is.
View Quote

I used to be in the restaurant franchise and development world.  

Several years ago I remember when dollars spent on meals eaten away from home passed dollars spent on meals eaten at home.

Maybe 7 years ago?  Give or take.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don’t drink shitbucks, but I did drunk buy a Kubota tractor during Covid and live on 1/8th of an acre.
View Quote

Im a millennial and i dont drink coffee. Period. I dont drink alcohol either. I did buy an ebike last year however, so in mot immune to being idiotic at times. Every once in a while i like to do hooligan shit on it for the boomer lulz.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel sorry for the generations about to arrive on the scene. They are going to get all the burden and none of the rewards. Shameful.

Nah, I don't feel that way. At least I'm doing my best to make sure that I'm not shoveling debt on my great grandchildren.

But a lot of people here in GD have no trouble with that. You can see it in these stimulus checks. They want their free shit and they don't give a damn who has to pay for it.

Honestly, after seeing the stimulus discussions in GD I don't want to hear anyone talk about the "Free Shit Army" anymore.  We here in GD are apparently several good sized divisions in that army.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

When it comes crashing down I'm definitely going to feel like one. Spent a lot of extra hours working and saving? How about a reset? Please don't get violent.

Would be interested to see where it is now. Has to heavily favor eating out.
View Quote

Only now your not even getting quality meals when you eat out because the boomers closed all the good places to eat over fear of their own mortality.

All them drive throughs are still open and essential though, and you can still get your chinese and mexican groceries from walmart.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When it comes crashing down I'm definitely going to feel like one. Spent a lot of extra hours working and saving? How about a reset? Please don't get violent.

Would be interested to see where it is now. Has to heavily favor eating out.
View Quote
I'll use the example I've said a couple times now. Went to McDonald's last week with my wife. Ordered some meals which is something I haven't done in a very long time. Quarter pounder meal and a nugget meal with a couple shakes $25. $25 for a shitty burger and nuggets. No thanks, that's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can you name one thing that was better in 1985 than it is today?
View Quote

Internet
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#21]
edit
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nah, I don't feel that way. At least I'm doing my best to make sure that I'm not shoveling debt on my great grandchildren.

But a lot of people here in GD have no trouble with that. You can see it in these stimulus checks. They want their free shit and they don't give a damn who has to pay for it.

Honestly, after seeing the stimulus discussions in GD I don't want to hear anyone talk about the "Free Shit Army" anymore.  We here in GD are apparently several good sized divisions in that army.

View Quote

My first stimulus went into my children's savings account. I fully expect it to be worthless by the time they are 18, but its there none the less.

Doubt i will ever see the second one. Probably went to building that wall in the Sudan.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Internet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you name one thing that was better in 1985 than it is today?

Internet

Movies/hollywood.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's a neat graphic, but it ignores the fact that corporate taxes are a fiction.

Do you think Amazon, Apple, or Proctor and Gamble pay taxes? Of course not. Their customers pay the taxes. If you increase corporate taxes those increases will roll right down to the price on their products. Your Amazon Prime costs goes up. The price of your iPhone goes up. Even the cost of your toothpaste goes up. Taxes are merely a business operating expense which like the cost of materials or labor are ultimately passed on to the end consumer.

Corporations don't pay taxes. People pay taxes. And the only people that pay taxes are the people at the very end of the economic chain that have no person to pass along their taxes to as an operating cost.  In other words, end consumers like you and me.

I don't oppose corporate taxes unequivocally. They are in many cases efficient economic choke points from which to collect taxes. But people should be absolutely clear about who is actually paying those taxes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
trickle down bullshit

and lets not overlook the very important fact that as the US went from a export country to an import country, corporate taxes went from being paid by foreign countries and their people to the exact reverse.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cars could be argued. They're disposable now like most things. Harder to work on and service.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drink folgers every morning. Everything else is true though.

Cars could be argued. They're disposable now like most things. Harder to work on and service.

Not even close to accurate

Cars now last significantly longer than they used to, ff anything cars are less disposable now!;  at 100k, older cars were junk heaps ... I buy cars with close to 100k on them now!  
Greatly reduced maintenance requirements.  What are point adjustments, carb rebuilds, timing settings, valve lash etc.  You simply do not need to do as much work on a modern car
Greatly extended maintenance intervals.  Oil changes are in the 6-7k range instead of 3k.   Spark plugs at 60k instead of 5k, etc etc
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL

Negotiate it as part of your employment.  Yea, right.  If we tried to negotiate anything,  we would be told that someone else will do it for less.  You can't negotiate with large corporations.   There are literally tens of thousands of people that would love to have your job and probably would take less money too.

Are there some very specialized,  high demand jobs that people can really negotiate terms?  Yea.  Does that apply to most people?  Not even close.

There is no one out there that is so skilled or valuable they can't be replaced.  Period. It's a national job market, if not a global one.  When we hired new managers recently,  we interviewed people from all across the country. You aren't competing with people in your town or in your office building.  You're competing against everyone in the United States and possibly beyond.
View Quote

That's a good view point but I can only speak from real life. I got into a factory and learned a skilled trade (been there 33 years now) wife got into a nursing home (we married and moved out at 18), she started as a dining room girl, became cook and became head of the kitchen, then they offered her dietary manager and then a dietitian for her hard work free of charge.

Now she is dietitian for 5 nursing homes ($100K a year). with no student debt. Life is all about making decisions on skilled choices on what is needed. We are 3 years out of full retirement.

All I can say as all those who came before you, get married and don't pick a stupid vocation, that is key and combine incomes and you will be amazed at how well you will live later in life. Daughter took vocational education in HS and got a 3 year free apprenticeship at a tool and die shop she will make $80K in one more (she's 21 now) year again with no student debt. Stop making excuses and blaming others get out there and do it like we all did before you.

I blame single moms for most of this "you all owe me" BS.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#27]
When my father was my age (late 30's) we lived in a 2000sq/ft 4bedroom house in a nice neighborhood. Both parents had newer cars and raised my 2 siblings and myself.  We even had an in-ground diving pool installed.  My dad was working very entry level IT after retiring from the Airforce(NCO so I can assure you the pay was not spectacular) and my mother was a secretary.

Those same jobs(including a small military pension) this day and age wouldn't afford you a 2 bedroom shit hole with bars on the window in the worst parts of town, much less be able to afford two newer cars and still put money away for retirement.

My grandparents came from Europe in the 50's without a pot to piss in.  My Grandfather laid fiberglass boat hulls for 30 years and my grandmother worked odd jobs from being a dishwasher to working the assembly line for Motorola.  They never made a ton of money but with the little they did make they financed a small apartment complex and supplemented their income, eventually paid it off, kept it for another 30 years.  That is financially impossible working those kinds of jobs in 2021.  My Grandfather told me in his last few months with us he was absolutely ashamed of what the country had become and if things were like they are now, he would have had no reason to move here.  Think about that for a minute.

Pay hasn't matched inflation by a long shot in at least two decades.  It's more expensive to live then it has ever been.  There's a reason 2/3rd of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and it's not because they have nice phones.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you realize that most of Congress are not "boomers" anymore?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, the Boomers brought this country to her knees.....

Do you realize that most of Congress are not "boomers" anymore?

Quite a few are, and most of the damage is already done.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When my father was my age (late 30's) we lived in a 2000sq/ft 4bedroom house in a nice neighborhood. Both parents had newer cars and raised my 2 siblings and myself.  We even had an in-ground diving pool installed.  My dad was working very entry level IT after retiring from the Airforce(NCO so I can assure you the pay was not spectacular) and my mother was a secretary.

Those same jobs(including a small military pension) this day and age wouldn't afford you a 2 bedroom shit hole with bars on the window in the worst parts of town, much less be able to afford two newer cars and still put money away for retirement.

Pay hasn't matched inflation by a long shot in at least two decades.  It's more expensive to live then it has ever been.  There's a reason 2/3rd of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and it's not because they have nice phones.

View Quote

You are incorrect. Millennials own smart phones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
(Laughs in Gen X)

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Internet
View Quote
internet pron.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Boomers trying to blame millennials for their failing is funny.

When reality is boomers guided / marketed / told millennials what to do, what to buy, where to go, etc.
View Quote

And sold the countries future to China, Mexico, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fact.

Im 38 and bought my last two homes with cash. I have never made over 40k a year salary. Every boomer i know has a 30 year mortgage and a car payment and has tried to convince me of the benefits of having one. Hard pass.

Im very blessed, but others are struggling purely because the boomer Generation is the worst most selfish and spoiled generation man has ever seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomers were able to buy houses for $25k, live during good economic times, retire with actual pensions and are still in debt.

Fact.

Im 38 and bought my last two homes with cash. I have never made over 40k a year salary. Every boomer i know has a 30 year mortgage and a car payment and has tried to convince me of the benefits of having one. Hard pass.

Im very blessed, but others are struggling purely because the boomer Generation is the worst most selfish and spoiled generation man has ever seen.

Why would anyone pay cash for a house when interest rates are at all time lows?

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Didn't OP post this once before?
Anyway, what us the point of posting this?
We know how it will go.
OP starting shit on the forum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Umm...

No shit?

The commies have been exporting jobs/infrastructure  and importing 2nd and 3rd world labor. This has led to fewer jobs and stagnant wages. At the same time, inflation has increased at an alarming rate, and taxes have gone up immensely, increasing the cost of living. Additionally, there’s a lot more secondary expenses that are almost a necessity in modern society; without internet access, you’d be hard pressed to get ahead in life these days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Umm...

No shit?

The commies have been exporting jobs/infrastructure  and importing 2nd and 3rd world labor. This has led to fewer jobs and stagnant wages. At the same time, inflation has increased at an alarming rate, and taxes have gone up immensely, increasing the cost of living. Additionally, there's a lot more secondary expenses that are almost a necessity in modern society; without internet access, you'd be hard pressed to get ahead in life these days.
View Quote
the fake plague finally forced me to get the interweb at home to WFH.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because if i die tomorrow, my kids and my wife would be able to survive on our savings, or on low paying jobs, for a couple years without having to worry about losing or selling their home, giving them enough time to move past their dependence on me.

My home will always be a home, even after people are paying 1k usd for a loaf of bread.

My wife could also go to work tomorrow and make more than me, but we have made the sacrifice so she can be a homemaker and homeschool our kids.

Ultimately though, its because i dont want to be dependent on banks and lenders for my status in life.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's a good view point but I can only speak from real life. I got into a factory and learned a skilled trade (been there 33 years now) wife got into a nursing home (we married and moved out at 18), she started as a dining room girl, became cook and became head of the kitchen, then they offered her dietary manager and then a dietitian for her hard work free of charge.

Now she is dietitian for 5 nursing homes ($100K a year). with no student debt. Life is all about making decisions on skilled choices on what is needed. We are 3 years out of full retirement.

All I can say as all those who came before you, get married and don't pick a stupid vocation, that is key and combine incomes and you will be amazed at how well you will live later in life. Daughter took vocational education in HS and got a 3 year free apprenticeship at a tool and die shop she will make $80K in one more (she's 21 now) year again with no student debt. Stop making excuses and blaming others get out there and do it like we all did before you.

I blame single moms for most of this "you all owe me" BS.
View Quote

I have a good job making a decent living.  I don’t have much debt and I can do anything I want.  I'm not hurting.  
I also understand that it's not as simple as work hard and make good choices.  It is an up hill battle.  I'm finally breaking through and might get a huge bonus and raise this year.  Did I work hard?  Yes.  It's just not that simple though.  There is a lot of luck involved.  I acknowledge that.  I worked harder than my peers but I'm not foolish enough to believe that the hard work alone was responsible for my success in 2020.  I got lucky too.  A lot of people don't catch a break despite working hard.  There are more people than ever fighting for fewer good jobs.  It is going to get wild in the future.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Boomers didn't have expensive smart phones and cars.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
(Laughs in Gen X)
View Quote

That's ok, when we're elderly the broke dick millennials will be in charge.

Glad I'll be dead or close.

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I feel sorry for the generations about to arrive on the scene. They are going to get handed all the burdens and none of the rewards.  Absolutely shameful.
View Quote

I know I tried my bast to vote against it and educate against it, but I look at the nation I'm handing off to my kid and think "We really fucked everything up".  All for more trinkets.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Because if i die tomorrow, my kids and my wife would be able to survive on our savings, or on low paying jobs, for a couple years without having to worry about losing or selling their home, giving them enough time to move past their dependence on me.

My home will always be a home, even after people are paying 1k usd for a loaf of bread.

My wife could also go to work tomorrow and make more than me, but we have made the sacrifice so she can be a homemaker and homeschool our kids.

Ultimately though, its because i dont want to be dependent on banks and lenders for my status in life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're uninsurable there are much better ways to take care of a family. No way I would want my liquidity tied up in a house. A 30 year mortgage makes a lot more sense for someone that knows how to manage their assets, so its not the horrible thing you keep making it out to be.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I won't be around to see it but I eagerly anticipate when generation gamma blames millennials for everything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I know I tried my bast to vote against it and educate against it, but I look at the nation I'm handing off to my kid and think "We really fucked everything up".  All for more trinkets.
View Quote
you can't stop what's comin'.

ain't all waitin' on you.

that's vanity.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I worked for a company for almost ten years, starting out part time, and then ultimately ending as a regional manager in charge of three states and over 300 employees, working on average 70 hours a week, with ever shrinking benefits and eventually stagnant wages.

That job went away when the boomer owners sold the company to an over seas investment company.

I now am self employed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  No nursing, no medical, no engineering, no technical, no sales, no managerial?

Around here, hospitals will straight-up pay for your college to become a nurse, if you'll work for them for a few years.  And nursing can pay pretty darn well.  I have a bunch of engineer friends that make good money.  I know a bunch of technical people that make good money.  I know dentists that make good money.  I know sales people that make FANTASTIC money.  I know three public school teachers who took the time and effort to work up in their careers that are making six figures.

There are plenty of careers left in the US that pay good money, but they take more effort to get into and progress in than a job does.  

I worked for a company for almost ten years, starting out part time, and then ultimately ending as a regional manager in charge of three states and over 300 employees, working on average 70 hours a week, with ever shrinking benefits and eventually stagnant wages.

That job went away when the boomer owners sold the company to an over seas investment company.

I now am self employed.

Staying some place for ten years is often a mistake these days., sadly.

Besides, big jumps in pay often come from moving to another company,  not moving up on the same company.   Moving up in your employer should be seen as experience to get you a better job somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
you can't stop what's comin'.

ain't all waitin' on you.

that's vanity.
View Quote

True.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

wages at those factory jobs havent gone up much since the 80s either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both my boomer parents graduated high school then went down to the big factory and started jobs they held for the next 40 years.

That opportunity isnt there anymore, and probably never will be again.

wages at those factory jobs havent gone up much since the 80s either

Shoot, those wages have gone down.

When my father was my age he paid off his 30 acre farm with a high school diploma and a factory job.

Starting pay at his old job is $18 an hour today. $10 an hour more than when he started in 1970.

That’s assuming you can get a job there. Most of their labor got shipped overseas.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember some out of touch boomer asshole talking about "muh first job as a tool and die guy at the plant only paid $4.50 an hour and I still bought a house." Inflation calculator said that came out to about $32 an hour. Tool and die guys now make what? $13? And that's $13 of today's money, not 1972 money
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Wages have not risen with inflation.

The dollar buys way less than it did decades ago.

My father bought a new 68 Corvette L88 in 1968 for 5800.00

That equivalent corvette would be almost 100k.  That dollar has not risen that much in value.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top