Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can still find jobs with benefits and pensions, they're just jobs a lot of people don't want.
View Quote

Amen.

A good friend of mine recovered from drug abuse (before I knew him).  From the very bottom of society, a concrete company hired him.  He started at the bottom about 10 years ago.  He's a manager now and I forget how many teams he runs.  Just got a brand-new, ~$80,000 company truck.  I'm happy for him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Amen.

A good friend of mine recovered from drug abuse (before I knew him).  From the very bottom of society, a concrete company hired him.  He started at the bottom about 10 years ago.  He's a manager now and I forget how many teams he runs.  Just got a brand-new, ~$80,000 company truck.  I'm happy for him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can still find jobs with benefits and pensions, they're just jobs a lot of people don't want.

Amen.

My millennial friend I mentioned earlier digs holes with a backhoe at road construction sites in NYC, he makes over $200k a year (over $250k some years) with OT. Benefits, pension, annuity, etc. Most people his age would probably say "Eww, I don't want to be a ditch digger".
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My millennial friend I mentioned earlier digs holes with a backhoe at road construction sites in NYC, he makes over $200k a year (over $250k some years) with OT. Benefits, pension, annuity, etc. Most people his age would probably say "Eww, I don't want to be a ditch digger".
View Quote

Eww, I don't want to live in NYC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:54:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to. He works with guys who live in PA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had some NYC investment firm trying to headhunt me for IT. Big talk about high pay, bonuses, etc right at the start of all the lockdowns. Mandatory relo and on site work. Was almost tempting until I punched in my current salary in a CoL calculator. Figured to make it worth while pay would need to be in the $500k range and would still be stuck in NYC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What jobs?

What are you people doing? No job I have ever worked has required a personal cellphone.
View Quote

Mine practiclly does

And I'm a auto tech

I need and I really do mean I NEED, it for videos pictures connecting to the digital service manual when I'm not at the building, infotainment system diag, list goes on.

@c7aea15
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Title should read, "Millennials 4 times lazier than boomers were at same age".
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So, your belief is adults have no free will and are incapable of learning anything that wasn't spoon fed to them in their formative years by their parents?

If I were a millennial that would probably offend me.
Of course you can't be the smartest person in the room, and a brainless lemming at the same time, so you're kind of putting folks in a box there.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif
View Quote

It's ignorant to believe that parents do not generally have a significant influence on their children.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This!

Everybody wants a high paying professional job but truth is the backbone of our country 75-100 years ago was it’s manufacturing might. And along with that might was jobs.
If you couldn’t find a good family sustaining job with benefits and a pension there was something wrong with you.

Options today are barely over minimum wage with no benefits or pension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess shipping our manufacturing base overseas and inviting the entire world to participate in our labor market isn’t a recipe for success?

This!

Everybody wants a high paying professional job but truth is the backbone of our country 75-100 years ago was it’s manufacturing might. And along with that might was jobs.
If you couldn’t find a good family sustaining job with benefits and a pension there was something wrong with you.

Options today are barely over minimum wage with no benefits or pension.

Yep
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I guess shipping our manufacturing base overseas and inviting the entire world to participate in our labor market isn’t a recipe for success?
View Quote

No but if we important more unskilled immigrants with no jobs it’ll be even more betterer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you realize that most of Congress are not "boomers" anymore?
View Quote

Boomers are 57-74. Average age of a Congressman is 58 and 63 for a Senator.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Mine does

And I'm a auto tech
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What jobs?

What are you people doing? No job I have ever worked has required a personal cellphone.

Mine does

And I'm a auto tech
For what?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's ignorant to believe that parents do not generally have a significant influence on their children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, your belief is adults have no free will and are incapable of learning anything that wasn't spoon fed to them in their formative years by their parents?

If I were a millennial that would probably offend me.
Of course you can't be the smartest person in the room, and a brainless lemming at the same time, so you're kind of putting folks in a box there.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/The_Rock_Applause-169.gif

Right up to the day they walk thru college doors and are inundated with liberal ideology by professors, fellow student, friends, the admin and everyone else around them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you realize that most of Congress are not "boomers" anymore?
View Quote

The one's in leadership positions are.

Also, the Boomers have been in control of most of the mechanisms of our society since the 90's.

Our current National Debt has been caused by the Boomer generation, almost 100% of it.

They have literally thrown an astronomical debt on to the backs of generations that haven't even been born yet.

I'm not a millennial, but they didn't cause the current situation, they have never been in a position of power to do so.

The Greatest Generation raised a spoiled generation of entitled self-centered adults who are in a perpetual state adolescence and even now have voted themselves in another Boomer President who is as clueless as they are.

That is the biggest take away everyone needs to realize with the last election, late 70's to 80's geriatrics voted in one of their fellow retirement home companions, to pump more pork onto the National Debt so they can attempt to stretch out their golden years.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife started as an RN in 2007 and made $17 an hour, her coworker started in 1981 at $17 an hour.

This country has selfishly sold its future generations down the river and is now reaping what it sowed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For what?
View Quote

See above I edited my post

Every year I practically make over 50 gigs in videos alone to send Tech line

Since I do most of the oddball warranty work Kia wants as much detail as possible For future products if there are issues with currant ones

The only other Automotive company I know of that require so much besides another Hyundai group sister

Is Rolls Royce

They have practically made me a field scientist or field Guinea pig.

For gods sake they make me measure bearing clearances with a special measurement device

I need a cell phone for so much shit that it practically forced me to buy a new one
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Mine practiclly does

And I'm a auto tech

I need and I really do mean I NEED, it for videos pictures connecting to the digital service manual when I'm not at the building, infotainment system diag, list goes on.

@c7aea15
View Quote
Well I also think that ridiculous they expect you to connect your personal phone to a customers car for diagnostics. I'm actually surprised they don't have a shop tool for that specific purpose.

Are you accessing service manuals on your own time?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone that denies that wages aren't proportional to costs compared to decades ago is living in a bubble.

It's simply more labor now to afford the same things.

Not the only factor of course, but it's a big one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It’s almost as if wealth compounds over time...
View Quote

At the same age, a boomer at 30 had more wealth than a millennial at 30.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I also think that ridiculous they expect you to connect your personal phone to a customers car for diagnostics. I'm actually surprised they don't have a shop tool for that specific purpose.

View Quote

On my own time AND company time
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Millennials who went into the trades are making bank...
View Quote

Xiden is about to fix that with amnesty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I can say is that sucks.

The toyota dealership I go to I see a lot of them with IPads for scanning and checking in and I don't know what else. But I can only assume they're provided. I really do think that anything an employer wants you to communicate with or diagnose with or access company information with should be provided by them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:39:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My godson falls smack into this category. He went to college and got a degree in Electrical Engineering. He rents an expensive place, has the latest toys, but doesn't own a car using Ubers. In his three years out of college he's travelled the world. He wants experiences, not stuff. He owns no assets and doesn't have a two nickels to rub until this year during the pandemic. All of a sudden he's earning piles of cash with nothing to do. His dad who is a Treasurer for a F500 company convinces him to invest in the stock market.

Well guess who has finally seen the light when his Amazon and Netflix shares pop 3-5X cost basis.
View Quote

The problem is not everyone in America can be an Electrical Engineer. You have to have an economy that supports people with an IQ under 100+.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I like how there's three concurrent threads going. "Millennials are Poor", "Boomers are Poor", and "GenX played Nintendo". It really says it all without even having to read the threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The other thread says Boomers have no retirement savings Millennials must really be broke.

I like how there's three concurrent threads going. "Millennials are Poor", "Boomers are Poor", and "GenX played Nintendo". It really says it all without even having to read the threads.
Because it's all BS. Every generations has winners/losers and lazy/motivated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
The good news is that millennials did make great choices when it comes to student loans.   They took on lots of student debt that will be waived by the government.  They will end up with significantly discounted educations that increase their earning potential over the course of their lives.

I love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I bet they all have $1400 smart phones and $150 a month data plans.
View Quote

$800 phone, and $56/mo data plan.  You're not wrong, but you're also a little off base.

Good luck working without a smart phone these days.  Especially with a job where people are working remotely or in an office, or anywhere.  

Also, as an older millennial,  we're not too far off from boomers.  Some younger millennial (and gen z who are in their early 20s) have just given up on the rat race.  If you don't believe me,  look at all the tiny house, van life popularity.  Most kids aren't following in their parent's foot steps because they can't afford to.   It doesn't mean that they won't eventually.   Just probably 10 years or so behind where their parents were at the same age.

Speaking of which, boomers really need to drop the "when I was your age!" act.  Times change, things are different now, stop livng in the past.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All I can say is that sucks.

The toyota dealership I go to I see a lot of them with IPads for scanning and checking in and I don't know what else. But I can only assume they're provided. I really do think that anything an employer wants you to communicate with or diagnose with or access company information with should be provided by them.
View Quote

We have 6 tablets in they are not enough, Our tablets are evenThe dedicated scan tools nowadays for hooking up o-scopes and shit

One day I had to use one tablet to do an actuation test and then use another tablet to be hooked up to the O-scope  And then use the phone on my camera to record It 3 devices on one car

Sometimes even Tech line directly remote Connects in to see data

Hyundai group as a whole just want to see more hard live data then practically every other brand competitor especially at the price point, It is hell on technicians but it is great for product improvement

That's one reason why the company I work for is never going to make me flat rate is because you simply cannot pay a flat to go through all this, It's unethical and unfair to do so, sometimes you have to wait For Tech line to get done talking with a platform engineer for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Bank accounts are just the exchange point for cash. I have a lot of cash these days. You?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#29]
It is not true that younger folks can't do well or at least okay these days. That said, it takes far more diligence and effort. Doing things like:
-eating at home and packing a lunch for work
-driving an older car
-not buying new things frequently
-spending more on durable goods and making them last
-doing your own home and auto repair work
-Harvesting you own food
-living in a smaller house
-paying down debt aggressively instead of racking up debt wildly to get what you want right now
and many more.

When entry level wages stagnate and there is competition for those lower tier jobs from overqualified individuals you're going to end up with younger people making very little and older people making less than they should. Add inflation and the problem is compounding. Add higher required education to get that entry level job due to competition from older folks and things get bleak.

It's easy to point fingers and hard to make good choices but it is doable. Not as easy as in the past, but doable.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

We have 6 tablets in they are not enough, Our tablets are evenThe dedicated scan tools nowadays for hooking up o-scopes and shit

One day I had to use one tablet to do an actuation test and then use another tablet to be hooked up to the O-scope  And then use the phone on my camera to record It 3 devices on one car

Sometimes even Tech line directly remote Connects in to see data

Hyundai group as a whole just want to see more hard live data then practically every other brand competitor especially at the price point, It is hell on technicians but it is great for product improvement

That's one reason why the company I work for is never going to make me flat rate is because you simply cannot pay a flat to go through all this, It's unethical and unfair to do so, sometimes you have to wait For Tech line to get done talking with a platform engineer for 2 hours.
View Quote
It's just strange to me. I've worked primarily on ships and power plants. Where I work now you will get in trouble for connecting your personal phone to a work computer. They don't even want to see your phone. Sure sometimes I use mine for pictures of problems or repairs and email but a camera is provided for that kind of stuff, as well as a computer. They provide a shitty flip phone while I'm there. Yea I still primarily use my own phone for communication too, but again, one is provided. "I lost my phone" or "I broke my phone" is no excuse. Any ship I've been on also provided anything needed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

LOL, the Boomers brought this country to her knees.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you can't argue the merits....

LOL, the Boomers brought this country to her knees.....

Maybe in so much as they allowed the education system to be taken by commie loving leftist.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

$270 a month actually.... and I haven't worked in 7 months
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's just strange to me. I've worked primarily on ships and power plants. Where I work now you will get in trouble for connecting your personal phone to a work computer. They don't even want to see your phone. Sure sometimes I use mine for pictures of problems or repairs and email but a camera is provided for that kind of stuff, as well as a computer. They provide a shitty flip phone while I'm there. Yea I still primarily use my own phone for communication too, but again, one is provided. "I lost my phone" or "I broke my phone" is no excuse. Any ship I've been on also provided anything needed.
View Quote

Look at this way ships and power plants don't change every 5 years and plus we have a lot less money on the line than those 2 industries do

@c7aea15
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Haven't read through the entire thread yet but I will say both generations have their advantages and disadvantages.

While were on the older side of millennials we are doing really well for ourselves.  I bought a house at 24 while we were still dating and paid it off at 33.  No I don't have some high super high paying job I just hate debt and also bought at the right time (2011) which helped.

A lot of my peers waste a shit ton of money on cars, eating out/coffee everyday.  While I do still owe like $7k on one of our cars at 0% I don't waste money on going out to eat all the time.  My coffee comes from the coffee pot at home not some libtards hands at Starbucks.

My wife and I basically have shaken off all of the millennial stereotypes besides the not having kids...for many reasons we don't and aren't having kids.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol-you're not making your case very well.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Managing recurring bills is just as important as your actual earnings and this is where so many people die financially in all classes. I know tons of people with decent incomes but their recurring monthly bills for everything, Lord have mercy on them because they are always at the financial edge and I just can't imagine that for myself. Lots of cool stuff out there but a goods nights sleep is worth more to me then more stuff and robbing peter to pay paul.

We really are a nation full of people needing their latest fix of trying to find something new that makes us happy. I'm really not that different, I spent years having fun looking for old 1911s but at some point, I had enough, the fun of the search was outweighed buy the prices they had risen to and while I still look for them, it's just for the sake of looking and not for buying.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok Oregon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
(Laughs in Gen X)
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats $25 a month in 1960 dollars old timer. And that is the problem, inflation has destroyed the value of money faster than rages rose for decades.
The traditional middle class income is like $150k to be on par with the 1960's.

Millenialsnhave thier problems, but the fucking boomers stacked the deck against them. My cynical genX ass just says fuck it, get back to work but I will forfeit my life for a life that was much much easier for the previous generation.  I need to leave my kids enough money when I am gone they won't have to give a shit, I will also have to make sure they know how to manage it or it won't matter.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The problem is not everyone in America can be an Electrical Engineer. You have to have an economy that supports people with an IQ under 100+.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My godson falls smack into this category. He went to college and got a degree in Electrical Engineering. He rents an expensive place, has the latest toys, but doesn't own a car using Ubers. In his three years out of college he's travelled the world. He wants experiences, not stuff. He owns no assets and doesn't have a two nickels to rub until this year during the pandemic. All of a sudden he's earning piles of cash with nothing to do. His dad who is a Treasurer for a F500 company convinces him to invest in the stock market.

Well guess who has finally seen the light when his Amazon and Netflix shares pop 3-5X cost basis.

You can’t make an economy that rewards lazy, stupid people. If you want a high standard of living for everyone, you need a society that encourages hard work and education.

Our education system is a complete embarrassment, we don’t value saving, and people don’t think they should have to work hard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

And covered in tattoos
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm confused since most college age kids i know have their parents paying 200%.
Then I see quite a few graduates that decide they don't want to do plan a after its paid for and go back on their dime, accruing debt.
Gotta do what you really want, no matter the cost, I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on the border of Gen X and Millenial.  Graduated college with zero debt.  Between scholarships and working summers, it wasn't difficult at the time.

Now, just 15-20 years later?  That case appears to be very rare.  And I'm not sure how this trend changes.

https://www.lynalden.com/wp-content/uploads/student-loan-economic-bubble-2018.jpg

I'm confused since most college age kids i know have their parents paying 200%.
Then I see quite a few graduates that decide they don't want to do plan a after its paid for and go back on their dime, accruing debt.
Gotta do what you really want, no matter the cost, I guess.

Anyone in college now outside of a PhD program or at the very end of an extended masters isn’t a millennial, and even any in those programs would be at the very, very tail end of the generation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I really like shitting in an indoor flushing toilet. Is that tech dependence? I just got some nifty insulation for my house. Is that tech dependence? I used a chainsaw to cut down a dead tree this weekend. Is that tech dependence? I took antibiotics for a sinus infection last year. Was that tech dependence?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, learned long ago that some folks get real defensive when you start criticizing their tech dependence. I can't decide if it's bizarre, comical or tragic.

I really like shitting in an indoor flushing toilet. Is that tech dependence? I just got some nifty insulation for my house. Is that tech dependence? I used a chainsaw to cut down a dead tree this weekend. Is that tech dependence? I took antibiotics for a sinus infection last year. Was that tech dependence?

Yes.

All those things are technology driven advances.
On the continuum of human existence, all recent developments.  Technological advances are the most significant drivers in societal and economic change.  As an example, most people carry around a computer in their pocket more than one thousand times faster and with more storage than a 1980 IBM Mainframe.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And covered in tattoos
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And covered in tattoos

Didn't stop me from retiring early.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What jobs?

View Quote
Brother, I'm an independent contractor in the oil patch and I need a personal cellphone, with data, for nearly everything I do.

I've never heard of a 'company provided cellphone' in my segment of the industry, although some brokers do reimburse one for a portion of it's use.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The other thread says Boomers have no retirement savings Millennials must really be broke.
View Quote

So everybody that’s poor thinks everyone not like them is rich?

Lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe I should've said overdependence?

As someone else mentioned, smartphones are a real addiction for a whole lotta people. Just look at restaurant tabletops and idiots behind the wheel. The electronic crack pipe, electronic security blanket, whatever ya wanna call it...it's a problem. Being rid of the one I'm paid to have will be the highlight of my retirement. Besides, the "piece of toast in my front jeans pocket" isn't a good look for me.

Not a Boomer BTW.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That's what I was thinking and 50k in their homes? Are their houses really not paid off? How do you only have 50k in your house with the real estate inflation we've had and an entire lifetime to pay it off?
View Quote
Some people have endured catastrophic events like their child needing a heart transplant or their spouse having a chronic condition that isn't covered by insurance. Shit happens.

Life, despite our best efforts, doesn't always pan out they way we want.

If you don't find yourself among those you questioned in your post...you need to celebrate your good fortune - and realize unforeseen things can change your good fortune in a heartbeat.

Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top