Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
[mdk]Well they were likely freshly made tracks by living dinosaurs.I have friends that have personally seen Stegosaurus on mission trips to the Texas hill country.[/mdk]
View Quote

Word!
Theres T rexs' all over Africa too!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you think about it..... there's 2 major factors at play.

#1 - The odds of tracks (or any fossil for that matter) being preserved.  

The surface material needed to be just the right softness. And then the depressions needed to fill in with just the right type of silt or dust.   Too much rain or running water, and they'd be obliterated.

#2 The odds of the preserved tracks (or any fossil for that matter) being present in a layer which is now at the surface (or close to the surface).

Most layers are still hidden underground, or deep under the ocean.  We can only see a small fraction of them, in places where the conditions created by tectonic activity and erosion are perfect for discovery   - places which are now arid landscapes with lots of erosion.

The odds against either #1 or #2 occurring are pretty high. The odds against both occurring are astronomically high.

So, it's safe to say that for every dinosaur track (or other fossil) we discover, there must have been millions of animals running around.   For every species we know about, there would have been many others (hundreds? thousands?) that were not preserved.

There's not really such a thing as a "missing link".   The links were all there.... they just didn't get lucky when the dice were rolled for #1 and #2...

View Quote
Do you have any idea how hard bit is to read that in Kermit the frogs voice?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[mdk]Well they were likely freshly made tracks by living dinosaurs.I have friends that have personally seen Stegosaurus on mission trips to the Texas hill country.[/mdk]
View Quote
I miss that guy
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]

On Cedar Hill where I-20 and 408 converge forming a triangle, a limestone outcrop is full of sharks teeth. And where the state cut the highway from I-20 to the city of Cedar Hill, the walls of the cut have produced a plethora of fossils. (Not a plethora of pinatas.)
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:29:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Word!
Theres T rexs' all over Africa too!
View Quote
South Texas had to wait for a cape buffalo to cross the road before driving by.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have seen, and touched as a kid in the ‘60s, the tracks in the Paluxy river in Glen Rose.
I was watching a program on the science channel about dino tracks being dpotted by a satellite in another river.
These are from the Cretacious Period about 100 million years ago. The mentioned that the landscape was different back then.
Different, but a creek bed lasted 200 million years? How does a shallow creek, shallow enough for a dinosaur to walk down, last for 100 million uesrs?
View Quote

It may not have always been a creek.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used to hunt a 1300 acre ranch near Rock Springs.  The ranch owner took me to a creek and showed me a perfect set of about 13 dino tracks in the stone creek bottom that were incredible.  As soon as we were done looking I was ordered to never tell anyone if I wanted to keep hunting there.  The owner talked about another ranch owner that had contacted state officials about similar tracks on his ranch.  The state supposedly came in and classified the tracks as a state archeological site and the place got swarmed with archeologists and paleontologists from several state universities.  The other ranch owner was restricted from the use of parts of his ranch and has to contact the state before doing any type of work on his ranch.  My owner said that it wasn't going to happen to him.
View Quote

I'd never thought about that angle. Made total sense about keeping mum.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen, and touched as a kid in the ‘60s, the tracks in the Paluxy river in Glen Rose.
I was watching a program on the science channel about dino tracks being dpotted by a satellite in another river.
These are from the Cretacious Period about 100 million years ago. The mentioned that the landscape was different back then.
Different, but a creek bed lasted 200 million years? How does a shallow creek, shallow enough for a dinosaur to walk down, last for 100 million uesrs?

Yeah I didn’t think that all the way through. The track look like they were following the creekbed but that is just an accident of the way the soil eroded.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lol so we exist in the perfect timeline to see a 3” deep foot print?

That’s like Big Bang 2 level luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The tracks were likely made in mud flats that were subsequently buried by more sediment.

The 100 million years is the duration of additional layers of sedimentation and then erosion to expose that layer again.

Many have eroded, many are still buried.

"It's always 5:00 somewhere" as they say
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Almost every culture in the world know what a dragon looks like. Dragons and dinosaurs look the same. How did all these cultures know what a dinosaur looks like if people had never seen one?
View Quote

Meh, they also all have Griffins and half-man-half-x animal hybrids in mythology.

Kappas are real, though, and they will rape and drown you if you don't give them a cucumber.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#13]
The drive thru wildlife refuge revenues were dropping so they sent billy Ray down to the river with a bucket of quickcrete to make some tracks
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The creek was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's not like they just started finding dinosaur bones a hundred years ago. I imagine they were much easier to find in surface deposits thousands of years ago before people started drastically modifying their physical environments. What would you think if you were a Chinese philosopher in 2,000 BC and some farmer brought you a dinosaur skull?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost every culture in the world know what a dragon looks like. Dragons and dinosaurs look the same. How did all these cultures know what a dinosaur looks like if people had never seen one?

Interesting thought.
It's not like they just started finding dinosaur bones a hundred years ago. I imagine they were much easier to find in surface deposits thousands of years ago before people started drastically modifying their physical environments. What would you think if you were a Chinese philosopher in 2,000 BC and some farmer brought you a dinosaur skull?

"...and I bet they flew, too!  Yeah, that'd be cool."
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Or how many got destroyed because conditions weren't right? Hell, if the ground shows tracks it was once soft surface. How many were destroyed after 2 days?
View Quote

We only see the very last prints before the mud got hard, for good.  I.e. a snapshot during a climatic change that saw water drastically reduce.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you know that the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park were not from the Jurassic period?

The Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor and Triceratops were all from the Cretaceous Period.
View Quote

No one wants to visit a park full of trilobites, and no one wants chicken sized velociraptors
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used to hunt a 1300 acre ranch near Rock Springs.  The ranch owner took me to a creek and showed me a perfect set of about 13 dino tracks in the stone creek bottom that were incredible.  As soon as we were done looking I was ordered to never tell anyone if I wanted to keep hunting there.  The owner talked about another ranch owner that had contacted state officials about similar tracks on his ranch.  The state supposedly came in and classified the tracks as a state archeological site and the place got swarmed with archeologists and paleontologists from several state universities.  The other ranch owner was restricted from the use of parts of his ranch and has to contact the state before doing any type of work on his ranch.  My owner said that it wasn't going to happen to him.
View Quote

King of the Hill had an episode about this
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice rack though.
Could cause a sustained petrification of one of my parts.
Hopefully not more than 4 hours though.
Do I get an LOL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the laugh.

Nice rack though.
Do I get an LOL?

If it weren't for that jiggle, I'd have forgotten about that video a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting thought.

Minus the fire breathing dragons are a combination of what used to eat us when we lived in the trees. Large birds and predatory cats.

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While these Texas dino folks are here, maybe someone can help me with a memory. We lived in Bandera, Tx when i was about 12. I was out riding with my father when he asks me if i want to see some dinosaur tracks a friend showed him. He parked by a river, we walked down and he showed them to me in the exposed river bed. It was an awesome memory seeing them.

I think this was west of Bandera. Maybe closer to  Rock Springs?  I was a kid, so I'm not real sure of the exact location. Anyone know where this place is? Thanks and @ me if you know.
View Quote

Just south of Tarpley on Hondo Creek has tracks in the creek bed and used to be able to drive down to them thirty years ago, but it’s probably fenced off now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My parents place in central tx is just covered in fossils. I minute or two down on the creek and you can have
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/F936A673-76CA-4BDE-9052-796C9171AE46-745582.jpg
View Quote

My Father worked on the construction of the old Westinghouse Plant in Round Rock, TX back in the 1970's.  The fossils that they dug up from excavating that site looked a lot like your pictures.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe someone owes me royalties.  Mine occurred in 1998.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

On Cedar Hill where I-20 and 408 converge forming a triangle, a limestone outcrop is full of sharks teeth. And where the state cut the highway from I-20 to the city of Cedar Hill, the walls of the cut have produced a plethora of fossils. (Not a plethora of pinatas.)
View Quote

Used to go there for sharks teeth. Also did the Sulphur river. Everything is there, Indian artifacts, Mastadon, Camel, Mosasaur, etc. My brother found a "US CAV" marked clay pipe that still had tobacco residue in it, you could still smell it. Very near Ft. Lyday.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hank finds an arrowhead, Peggy stupidly gives an archeologist legal access, backhoes and ass-kickings ensue.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My Father worked on the construction of the old Westinghouse Plant in Round Rock, TX back in the 1970's.  The fossils that they dug up from excavating that site looked a lot like your pictures.
View Quote

Makes sense since that area is down stream from our farm about 30 miles..
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Dinos were savages because they existed before JMB invented .45.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Those are from my ex MIL.............only dated from 1993 !
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Double Tap !
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:00:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No one wants to visit a park full of trilobites, and no one wants chicken sized velociraptors
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you know that the dinosaurs from Jurassic Park were not from the Jurassic period?

The Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor and Triceratops were all from the Cretaceous Period.

That is the only size velociraptors I want to be around!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Should be titled "5 seconds to regret".
View Quote

I'd pay big money to see that i-scream headache.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If it weren't for that jiggle, I'd have forgotten about that video a long time ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the laugh.

Nice rack though.
Do I get an LOL?

Yep, just watched it again, LOVE when she brings her elbows to her sides and them pups get smushed together.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You probably need to do quite a bit of research to figure out just what you're talking about.

Climate, catastrophe, cataclismic events, time, chance. All of these things change and have an effect on if and when something is visible or eroded or buried.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

First of all, only serious whack jobs in the Christian community believe the 6k timeline.  Most believe the 7 days of creation (6 actual days of work according to scripture)  were immeasurably long, God's time, not man's, and certainly not 7 of man's days.  If "a lot" is .00048% of a total population, then yes, a lot of Christians believe dinosaurs walked the earth 6k years ago.
View Quote

You're badly misinformed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all, only serious whack jobs in the Christian community believe the 6k timeline.  Most believe the 7 days of creation (6 actual days of work according to scripture)  were immeasurably long, God's time, not man's, and certainly not 7 of man's days.  If "a lot" is .00048% of a total population, then yes, a lot of Christians believe dinosaurs walked the earth 6k years ago.

I've been a Christian since I was about 7 and grew up in a missionary family with a pastor/evangelist for a father.

He's not wrong.

I know very few Christians who still believe in young Earth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

At Glen Rose, the tracks are under the park itself. The river is slowly eroding the banks, revealing more tracks.

When my family was younger, we would climb down to the river with brooms and clean out the silt in the tracks every summer. The crowds loved it. We would wade around the bend of the river, cleaning as we went.

I have a number of pictures from each expedition. They're on a laptop I have stored somewhere. I'll look for them.

As a Christian, I often ponder the Creation details in Genesis ch 1 thru ch 2:10 and the "time" involved. But, I'm convinced the "time" elapsed in Ch 1 verses 1 and 2 could encompass millions and billions of years.
View Quote
I've been there several times my self. I love that place.
As a RC, I have no problem reconciling the Bible with dinosaurs.  
Nobody can answer this.... Of the first 7 days, how long was a day?

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top