Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Why $15 I say just make it an easy $87 an hour. That way you can live even more comfortable..
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:05:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Minimum wage isn't tied to monetary inflation numbers. You could peg it at say 5 dollars an hour and inflation adjusted wages are going to drop like a rock when you print trillion after trillion dollars year after year.

Buying power or more commonly called inflation adjusted wages isn't a single variable equation.
View Quote

You’re missing the point.

The portion of the value of a good or service that is made up of the wages of low income workers is small in most industries. Even in fast food, where it’s significant, a 50% increase in the pay of a line worker is probably less than a 10% increase in the cost of the item.

And the increase in money supply is inflating the wealth of the super rich. Tesla is worth what it’s worth because billionaires invest. If the billionaires had to buy the assets of the billionaires, Elon would take a haircut.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Wait until the people that got tips and earned more than 15$ hr and now they make less because no more tips
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It will drive a lot of mom-n-pop shops out of business.  Just look at Seattle when they tried that.
View Quote

No, they just have to raise the prices of everything they sell by whatever amount is needed to cover the higher wages and still remain profitable as a business.

Hence, the schmuck customers are now paying more - everywhere - for everything.

See my first post in thread, above.

Then the dumb asses wonder why everything got more expensive, and five years down the road: "We need higher wages!"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Because they NEVER LEARN.

It is absolutely fascinating, sometimes, watching how stupid these people are.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It will destroy restaurants first.

Then everything will cost more.  I would think it would be instantaneously noticed.
View Quote

I mean, the price of things has steadily gone up while wages have been stagnant across the board.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello $6.00 cheeseburger
View Quote

Dude where do you live that a cheeseburger is less than $6.00? Aside from fast food like Mc Donalds go to any restaurant and a burger is $5.75+.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]
My liberal soon to be Ex GF thinks it is great idea. Lol.
It used to cost $20-$23 to feed 3 of us at McDonald's. She Refuse to belief those same meals are soon to cost $35 or more.
I would be laughing but this is going to make my retirement worthless.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, they just have to raise the prices of everything they sell by whatever amount is needed to cover the higher wages and still remain profitable as a business.

Hence, the schmuck customers are now paying more - everywhere - for everything.

See my first post in thread, above.

Then the dumb asses wonder why everything got more expensive, and five years down the road: "We need higher wages!"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Because they NEVER LEARN.

It is absolutely fascinating, sometimes, watching how stupid these people are.
View Quote

Yet the buying power for the middle class will not go up because their/our  wages will not comparably rise.  Middle Class won't have the money to spend so those Middle Class business owners will go out of business because no one is buying their marked up goods.  

A minimum wage increase like this is going to fuck the middle class.  Good way to eliminate the Middle Class, Poor and Rich not much in between.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Guess I'm going to be making about $55 an hour next year then straight time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I mean, the price of things has steadily gone up while wages have been stagnant across the board.
View Quote

Wages have been stagnant in inflation adjusted terms. Compensation is increasing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It used to cost $20-$23 to feed 3 of us at McDonald's. She Refuse to belief those same meals are soon to cost $35 or more.
View Quote

We have a $13.50 minimum wage and macdonalds for three is over $30.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only positive is that it would put people above the Governments poverty line and kick them off of EBT and Medicaid. Those 2 things cost well into the Billions every year.
View Quote

Nope.  Poverty and government programs are based on minimum wage times a multiplier.  Changing minimum wage decreases the quantity of people that are middle income and puts them into poverty.  More people will qualify at a greater cost to the government.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not quite but generally. When a business is unable to both pay well and provide a quality product making a profit they should fold to the free market.

There's nothing magic about it. as GD so confidently says about the free market raise prices to cover your expenses plus profit or get out of the business.

If consumers are not willing to pay for a quality product give up and start a different business.

People whine all day about not being able to find American made quality products and then always opt for the crappy version that's 33% of the cost and lasts 10% as long. So goes the free market.
View Quote
The problem with your thinking is we don't live in isolation and have to deal with a global economy that has labor making out minimum wage a week or month.

You truly don't understand what it takes to make a business run. Look at the restaurant industry and realize they run on less than 10% profit with minimum wage. Even fine dining is a tight rope walk to stay open and you're suggesting to double and triple pay to employees. Here in AZ we have a $12 minimum wage and there is no dollar menu at fast food restaurants. Value meals are pushing $10. Look at retail a large Walmart or target will employ 500 or more employees and you expect them to double their cost of employees.

The reason we don't have affordable American goods is because of fools like you. We have priced our labor so high we are no longer competitive on the global market. The only thing that's going to make American goods affordable is automation at the expense of the American worker. Unemployment will be 30% but at least minimum wage is $30 an hour.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Basically raising minimum wage lowers the value of a dollar. It is forced inflation. Think about your retirement and your savings if you really wanna get riled up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nope.  Poverty and government programs are based on minimum wage times a multiplier.  Changing minimum wage decreases the quantity of people that are middle income and puts them into poverty.  More people will qualify at a greater cost to the government.
View Quote

No. The official poverty measure is based on the cost of a standardized basket of goods compared to family size.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:42:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Basically raising minimum wage lowers the value of a dollar. It is forced inflation. Think about your retirement and your savings if you really wanna get riled up.
View Quote

That’s not completely untrue but it’s not really true either. It has a slight effect overall, depending on how much you consume the sorts of things produced by minimum wage labor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You should demand a meeting with your Company’s largest customers to explain why they should pay you all more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s sort of where I’m at now. New guys who literally don’t know shit are starting out $4-6/ hr more than I did. Yet my wages have been the same for two years.

I as well as others are pissed.

You should demand a meeting with your Company’s largest customers to explain why they should pay you all more.

2 yrs ago we got a post card in the mail telling us what a wonderful job we’ve been doing and how we’ve made the most profits in almost 40yrs.

Days before we got less of a bonus than we got the year before.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wait until the people that got tips and earned more than 15$ hr and now they make less because no more tips
View Quote

Yeah, the ENTIRE staff of Twin Peaks here honestly believes they will get the 15/hr PLUS the big tips.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Another thing is that it will raise workman's comp rates since they are based on payroll.
View Quote

Everything will go up.

In a year it will not be a livable wage again.

Then they'll vote for $20, and the cycle continues.

You'll soon be the old man kids laugh at for saying, "back in my day ....".
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:50:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No. The official poverty measure is based on the cost of a standardized basket of goods compared to family size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And has been changed over time to skew actual inflation on consumer goods that are purchased on an ongoing daily, weekly, or monthly basis to Items that are considered durable goods and only purchased on a very occasional basis. A washer and dryer set purchased every ten or fifteen years that goes up 50% is far less of a burden on a paycheck then food that goes up in price multiple times a year and is bought many times a year.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:51:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don’t worry. Biden will take care of it. He’s got a plan.
View Quote

He will deal with the inflations.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Ryan. That's the measure of inflation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:52:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Republicans are missing an opportunity here to raise the minimum wage in a way that harms blue states. Just set a federal minimum wage and use state/county/MSA cost of living adjustments (including housing and gas prices) to adjust the amount. So the federal minimum wage rises to $10/hr in the rural south and $28/hr in coastal progressive cities.
View Quote

Please post more often
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Lol

My wages in this industry in my area have been the same for almost 20 years

But yet everything else gets more expensive every year
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Path to hell is paved by democrats.
View Quote

Correction: the path to hell is paved by a shitty low-Bidder contractor hired by the democrats using your tax money.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#26]
We have a small juice and smoothie bar. We will get WRECKED by this. I can't afford to pay high school kids 15 bucks an hour..
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

My supervisor and I got into a debate over this at work in front of other employees. He’s a closet Illinois democrat working with a bunch of constitutional patriots.

He attempted to take the high ground and ask me if I’d rather hire the 60 year old who “can’t afford” private insurance who “deserves a living wage” or the young “unreliable, selfish twenty year old” if I owned a fast food restaurant.

I told him neither. I’d rather crunch the numbers and order 3 more kiosks to take orders to avoid a 60 year olds health insurance and a 20 year olds paid time off, employment tax and workmen’s comp. get ahead of inflation by charging my supervisor 3 more bucks for a burger so I can retire early and sell my business to get the government off my back.

He didn’t have a high ground answer for that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hint. It’s not unintended consequences. It’s very much intended.
View Quote

This right here.  

There needs to be a reason to come back and demand the next increase.   Especially after inflation raises prices across the board.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I just tell people when they post about $15/hr minimum wage...

That doesn't make that labor worth more money, it makes that money worth less labor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No Ryan. That's the measure of inflation.
View Quote

The basket of goods is the definition of the poverty line: they made a list in 1963 about what a family with a stay at home wife needed annually and the poverty line is based on what the family needs to buy those things. It’s hopelessly outdated. The SPM is far better but still leaves much to be desired.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:31:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah, the ENTIRE staff of Twin Peaks here honestly believes they will get the 15/hr PLUS the big tips.
View Quote

You wouldn’t believe the things those girls will do for money.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Lots of people just eat up talking points and don’t think through consequences. They want to help poor people, and don’t like big corporations.  They don’t see how this screws poor people, and helps big corporations.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:37:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Republicans are missing an opportunity here to raise the minimum wage in a way that harms blue states. Just set a federal minimum wage and use state/county/MSA cost of living adjustments (including housing and gas prices) to adjust the amount. So the federal minimum wage rises to $10/hr in the rural south and $28/hr in coastal progressive cities.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84914/AccurateSlimBlackfish-size_restricted-1224606.gif

Jeezuz, I could tit fuck Salma Hayek all damn day long....
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:12:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Why is everyone so concerned with whether they're making 2x as much as the next guy down instead of asking why they're only making 1/600th of the guy at the top? Or look at what your labor generates for the company profit wise and ask if you're being fairly compensated for that?

If you don't feel like you're being fairly compensated then surely your beef should be with the wmguy who makes your salary in 5 minutes, not the guy who makes your salary in 14 months instead of 12, right?

As for price increases, the math's already been done. Here's the Motley Fool, which I'm sure will shortly be called communist: https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/06/08/what-will-a-higher-minimum-wage-cost-you-at-mcdona.aspx

The worst case is a 27% increase in prices resulting from an increase to $15/hr. And while that is not nothing, that does assume an overnight increase and doesn't tell you anything about what gets done with that money. Specifically, the people earning it go spend it on goods and services or oh baby maybe they finally have enough to invest. That's economic growth. That's literally a rising tide lifting all boats, it just lifts the smaller boats more relative to the larger ones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84914/AccurateSlimBlackfish-size_restricted-1224606.gif

If she wore a Leather underbrush corset. Oh my
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:48:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I think a higher minimum wage could work, idk about what specific number

The timing is certainly bad, considering the precarious position of those least able to bump pay

It seems like another regulatory capture scheme to crush anyone besides big capital, but again, idk
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Path to hell is paved by democrats.
View Quote

Small edit...

Path to hell is paved with good intentions by democrats
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Imagine you've got Joe Shop Guy working for you.  He's very good at what he does and has been loyal to you for several years.  His hours are perfect.  You rely on him.  You're paying him $16.00 / hour and he's currently happy.  He's making $7.00 more per hour than most of the other guys in your shop, who are nowhere near his level.

Along comes Sleepy Joe.  One day, Sleepy Joe manages to get $15.00/hour minimum wage passed through the House and Senate.

And just like that, Joe Shop Guy went from making well over 2x the minimum wage to only $1.00 per hour more than the riff-raff who are stoned half the time and only show up 3 days a week (being brutally honest here).

He calls you out on it.  What do you say?  Sure, if push came to shove, you'd "win" the argument, but let's be realistic, what the hell are you going to tell him?

Now, let's take the plant manager who's making $100,000 / year.  That's 6.6 times the current minimum wage.  He knows he's worth at LEAST 6.6 riff-raff guys.  Probably more like 10 or 15.  The minimum wage becomes $15.00/hour.  Now you've got to somehow explain to him that's he's only worth 3.2 entry-level shop guys?  How's that conversation going to go?

View Quote

Fire the stoners and give original guy $30.

Tell him to recruit his buddies.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:29:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Everything will go up.

In a year it will not be a livable wage again.

Then they'll vote for $20, and the cycle continues.

You'll soon be the old man kids laugh at for saying, "back in my day ....".
View Quote

This is the bog standard Friedman response, but we also heard that tariffs would crush the economoy

Trump did that, albeit not as much as he (apparently) wanted, and the economy didn't implode. According to some
it was rip roaring good prior to our current black swan.

So, while obviously true at some point (i.e. min wage of $8700/hr), can it be taken as an article of faith that a modest bump will lead to a chain reaction that destroys our economy?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:31:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're alluding to servers then I highly doubt they're making over 3-4 an hour now minimum wage.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only a fool lets their money sit in a bank account. Either put it in the stock market or real estate.

People always asked me why I didn't sell a house I inherited even though I struggled financially to keep it. Well it keeps going up in value due to both inflation and the housing market. And it brings me in a monthly income as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
We are all going to be millionaires fucked.
View Quote

Between covid shutdowns of small business, dumb shit like a $15 min wage, and kicking the money printers into turbo overdrive, they are absolutely going to nuke the economy.

But that was the plan from the beginning.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that.  The FCSU is calculated 3-4times? a year.  Based on information linked in this thread,"The worst case is a 27% increase in prices resulting from an increase to $15/hr." Now it might take a year or two to get the total increase but the market has to respond.  Poverty is 3 times FCSU so in short time more individuals will be classified as living in poverty than before the change in minimum wage.  Federal programs are based on the poverty level, which will increase.  WIC threshold is 185% poverty level.  SNAP is 130% poverty level.  

FCSU will increase by say 25% within a year or two.  Much faster than inflation.  Federal program thresholds like WIC and SNAP will increase the same percentage.   Everyone above minimum wage does not get a raise by decree.  Their income will stay mostly stagnant.  Thus the lower middle class slide into and towards the definition of poverty.  The lower middle class buying power decreases.

More people will fit the calculated income level of poverty.  The federal programs will pay out at higher money levels to more people.  I don't see how this floats any boats beyond the year or two it takes the market and FCSU prices to complete a correction.  In the end, more people have less buying power.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If the hard worker doesn’t get a raise he should start putting out the same level of work as everyone else.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:08:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Two consequences:
- First, many of the businesses that depend on young cheap unskilled labor (fast food) will close.  
- Next, many of those kids won't be able to find their first job.  Democrats have cut out the first rail in the employment ladder.  

When I was a teenager, I worked at a fast food place, and realized that I wanted something better.  That motivated me get to an education and better job.
View Quote

Unskilled labor. I remember when getting a job at a fast food place was easy for high-school students, and you didn't try to raise a family while working there. It was a job for spending money, or to pay for your car, or to get work experience to move up to bigger and better things. Other than the managers, the McDonalds that I worked at was filled with students from my high school, or retirees looking for something to do for a few hours a day. Somehow, in the past 10 years or so, the narrative shifted to having a "livable wage" while working at a McJob.  

Honestly, if they are going to mandate a minimum wage of $15/hr, then that should be the floor for skilled labor. You just got your technical certification to repair widgets or your BS in Auto Repair Management or your ASE certification but you have no prior experience other than school? Cool, here's your $15/hr, go to work and learn your job, and we'll look at a raise at your 6 month and annual reviews, based on your performance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This would be perfect.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#49]
what the idiots do not understand is ,,,

if you raise the wages ,it raises overhead , what happens when overhead raises? the cost of the service ,or product raises , that means yes they will make $15 an hour and everyone else will want more to separate their skill level from the broom pusher

so now EVERYTHING costs more from a big mac to underwear , from a car to your electric bill ,for those that pay rent ,your rent increases , costs more to maintain the property , increased overhead gets passed on to the consumer

everything will eventually even back out to where it was once before only at a higher scale , which defleates the dollar value

what people do not realize is raising the minimum wage is a tax scam by the government , more income means more revenue
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
“Stop voting for democrats”
View Quote

One word why they wont  "Unions"

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top