Quoted:
I for one welcome the green new deal
View Quote

The Soylent Green New Deal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whatever happened to wrapping them in a sheet and burying them in a pine box? You know, the original composting that doesn't require an industrial incubator?
View Quote

I'd bet that lobbyist-authored regulations have made that illegal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Meh, too much fuss with all the tumbling and oxygenating and heating.

Just dump me in the dirt or burn me up. It's just meat, no reason to do so much to it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would do that. Other than my family having to haul away the compost. There already enough junk in the garage.

Meh, too much fuss with all the tumbling and oxygenating and heating.

Just dump me in the dirt or burn me up. It's just meat, no reason to do so much to it.

Yup.
Worms gotta eat, too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Humans > mulch > garden > food

This is just cannibalism with a few extra steps involved.
View Quote

The World's End 2013 - Final Speech
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like they've made the process needlessly complicated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Someone jokingly mentioned Soylent Green the day the way things are going, then I read this
View Quote

"It is every citizen's final duty to go into the (recycling) tanks, and become one with all the people."

-Chairman Sheng-ji Yang
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
@soylentgreen

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've had soylent red and yellow, but I hear the soylent green are the best
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The compost will then be processed into green food chips.

I've had soylent red and yellow, but I hear the soylent green are the best

It varies from person to person
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems like they've made the process needlessly complicated.
View Quote

Mushroom suit is the way to go if you need to be composted.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#10]
am i too late for the uninformed soylent green jokes?

seriously, are the folks here that believe this will wind up as food willing to have their bodies desecrated via embalming?  that is some gnarly shiz.  i'm hoping for a funeral pyre myself.  just make sure i'm dead first and it's HOT enough
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#12]
No, having my composted remains thrown on Chloe Grace Moretz is a lot grosser than using my ashes.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

seriously, are the folks here that believe this will wind up as food willing to have their bodies desecrated via embalming?  that is some gnarly shiz.  i'm hoping for a funeral pyre myself.  just make sure i'm dead first and it's HOT enough
View Quote

Ashes can be used as fertilizer also................

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:18:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to wrapping them in a sheet and burying them in a pine box? You know, the original composting that doesn't require an industrial incubator?
View Quote

wrapping and pine box works too...however, only if you're burying on your own property (if that's even allowed).  most cemeteries don't just put the coffins in the ground.  i think they've got concrete slabs around them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
USN still requires you to be field dressed and embalmed prior to burial.  Then there is transport to the ship. The actual burial is free for veterans I believe but the rest of the crap is not.
View Quote

Cremated Remains (Cremains): Cremains must be in an  urn or temporary container (preferably Bio-degradable) to prevent spillage in shipping.  Recent changes in law prohibit the discharge of plastics at sea.  Families are encouraged to have the cremains inurned directly, or transferred to a sturdy biodegradable urn at their local funeral home to facilitate burial at sea.  Burial at Sea Coordinators at the ports of embarkation  are available to field any questions regarding the urns.  The cremains, along with the completed Burial at Sea Request package should be forwarded to the Burial at Sea Coordinator at the desired port of embarkation (listed below).  Prior to shipment, it is recommended that a phone call be made informing the coordinator of the pending request. ONLY Priority Mail Express Service is authorized when shipping cremains and it is recommended that that Tracking and Signature On Delivery is used to ensure the package is delivered to the correct individual in a timely manner.

Intact Remains (Casketed): Specific guidelines are required for the preparation of casketed remains. All expenses incurred in this process are the responsibility of the PADD, who will select a funeral home in the area of the port of embarkation. After this selection has been made and notification has been provided to the coordinator, the casketed remains, the request form, supporting documents, and the burial flag are to be forwarded to the receiving funeral home. The coordinator will make the inspection and complete the checklist for the preparation of casketed remains. It is recommended that funeral homes responsible for preparing and shipping intact remains contact the Mortuary Services office at Navy Casualty in Millington, TN to receive the preparation requirements.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/support/casualty/mortuary/Pages/BAS.aspx
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Germans (among others in Europe) recycle graves after X number of years.  It's called "clearing."

Basically they throw you in the same hole formerly occupied by someone else.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Reason = the don't have the land to keep making new cemeteries.

You don't buy cemetery plots.  You pay for a temporary lease on them.
View Quote

Why else were they digging up Poor Yorick in Hamlet?  They were reusing his grave.  Europe has had this figured out for millennia.

The real problem is embalming has basically turned many graves into superfund sites of preserved biomatter, not to mention the legal prohibition on reusing graves, which is why they need faster/more efficient measures like remote composting to break down bodies fast enough.

Another approach is what they do in New Orleans with the crypt system (let the body decay to bones in the tomb, shove the bones into a compartment in the rear after a few years)
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like a good way to get Kuru.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you want a superhaunted cemetary? Cuz this is how you get super haunted cemetaries.

Edit: fat fingered the keyboard
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Viking funeral with a busty lass
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

wrapping and pine box works too...however, only if you're burying on your own property (if that's even allowed).  most cemeteries don't just put the coffins in the ground.  i think they've got concrete slabs around them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, so their excavators & mowers don't collapse the voids...and so coffins don't float up during floods
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone worried that this might lead to zombies has never visited WA state.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Fuck all that. Drag my body to the deer woods and either set me on fire or let me decompose naturally.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Dude...just climb out of the bucket
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Donate your body to comedy
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yup, so their excavators & mowers don't collapse the voids...and so coffins don't float up during floods
View Quote

And to slow the rate that they leech toxic waste into the water table.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Funeral industry will find a way to make it expensive. We just paid $4000 to have my FIL cremated and put in a ziplock &cardboard box.
View Quote

Should have used a family funeral home. I do it for $2200 and you don’t get a sales pitch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#29]
This is ludicrous. How the hell am I supposed to put four 55 gallon drums on the fireplace mantel when Aunt Mamie dies?

"When I die I'm leaving my body to science fiction."   Steven Wright

When I die my wife has instructions to cremate me and put my ashes in our local river.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#30]
these people are fucking insane
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm ok with this.  Much rather have myself composted and spread over say a national forest than get pumped full of chemicals and buried in a box or even cremated.   Especially so if it costs a lot less.  I'd much rather have my "burial expenses" spent at my wake on some

great bbq (my recipes) and an open bar with quality beer and whiskey.  I'd consider throwing in some some kind of dancers too.  I want my last act to be entertaining my family and friends then bon voyage.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds good to me if it's cheaper than cremation. I'm actually a little torn because cremation is closer to the pyre I would prefer but composting is much more...I mean one of my jobs is permaculture designer.

Either way just feed me to the trees.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Eh, I'm fine with it.

Nothing is more retarded than having someone gut you and pump you full of chemicals, sew your mouth and butthole shut and then put you in nice clothes and then put you into a multi thousand dollar coffin that will last 500 years... Considering we live on a planet with finite space.

People that want to be buried in a plot are nuts. Should be burned or composted or some other method that doesn't leave anything significant behind.

Hell just throw me off a tailgate way back in the woods. I worked a death a while back of a guy whose meth head friends freaked out when he OD'd and they drove him way out in the forest and dumped him. Think he'd been there for a year and change. Couple controlled burns and coyotes later, barely half a bag of bones and a jacked up wristwatch scattered over a 50 yard area was all that was left.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Just put me in the recycler so I can become mushroom food

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just put me in the recycler so I can become mushroom food

View Quote

OK Fred.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As far as I am concerned I can just be chucked out into the woods for the critters to munch on after I kick rocks.
View Quote

I believe you can donate your body to one of those body farms and they’ll do it for you for their research.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Funeral industry will find a way to make it expensive. We just paid $4000 to have my FIL cremated and put in a ziplock &cardboard box.
View Quote

Same here, then my mother 9 months later. Funeral industry is a huge blood-sucking racket.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Oh sure why not.  It's not hot enough to pasteurized the remaind or let's spread some more diseases.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:35:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, if this is how you want to be handled when you die, then ok.

I mean when I'm dead, I don't care...  if I can grow a tree then go for it.  Not sure why this is a huge deal, unless it's being forced on people against their will...

If it's an option then whatever.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Democrat Governor Jay Inslee signed legislation in 2019 making Washington the first state in the country to approve composting as an alternative to burying or cremating human remains.

View Quote

You first, Governor.

Am I the first to come here to say that?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:01:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Oh sure why not.  It's not hot enough to pasteurized the remaind or let's spread some more diseases.
View Quote

A hot compost can absolutely kill any diseases. Pasteurization is typically 145f for 30 minutes.

Even without the turning, aeration and supplemental heat I've had piles stay over 145f for two weeks, and those are small piles in open air. The big municipal windrows get so hot the material is completely sterilized, even the heat loving compost bacteria die.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Burying homeless people in your raised beds is easier...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Democrat State Senator Jamie Pedersen originally sponsored the bill. He told NBC that the legislation was inspired by his neighbor, who was an architecture graduate student at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, when she began researching the funeral industry. She came up with the idea for human composting, modeling it on a practice farmers have long used to dispose of livestock.

View Quote

What farmers? Farmer Vincent?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:39:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Hahaha!  How long before the lawyers require disclosure of that in REPCs?  I know I wouldn't buy someone's house with grandpa mulch in the garden.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:43:39 AM EDT
[#46]
They used the ashes from aushwitz for fertilizer.  I didn’t eat in krackow after hearing that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Really rotting meat doesn’t make for good compost.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#48]
So when will it be legal for me to get that Viking funeral pyre i want?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:02:05 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Democrat State Senator Jamie Pedersen originally sponsored the bill. He told NBC that the legislation was inspired by his neighbor, who was an architecture graduate student at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, when she began researching the funeral industry. She came up with the idea for human composting, modeling it on a practice farmers have long used to dispose of livestock.

What farmers? Farmer Vincent?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1957/Motel-Hell-4_jpg-1781406.JPG

Motel hell!  Little known flick!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#50]
I'd like to be cremated in a funeral pyre.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top