Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
A marine mammal that knows a hell of a lot more about sonar than you do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you get a crew to want to get off a submarine?
How do you get a crew to want to get off a nuc....
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, I think somebody just fired a torpedo at us!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But they had a swimming pool and a sauna..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's generally a feature of Soviet technology.

That sauna was a total sausage fest.
Perfect for the chiefs to ass-rape the conscripts, like their predecessors did to them.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I cannot think of a place I would be more scared of being in, than a sauna with some naked Russian sailors.  

That's a bingo.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Con sonar
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey, I think somebody just fired a torpedo at us!
View Quote

No shit, Buckwheat. Now get the hell out of here!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]
My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on playmate of the month.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Some Things in Here Don't React Well to Bullets
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Page 2, and no "Con, Crazy Ivan!" yet...?

I am disappoint...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on playmate of the month.
View Quote

She's schpectacular!  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#12]
"Soviet Anthem" The Hunt For Red October
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a good video on them that pointed out that the two main pressure hulls are each essentially the size of a Ohio-class SSBN and that doesn't include the third smaller pressure hull for the command section. The two main hulls also have 100% redundant reactors and screws.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What are those doors for?
View Quote

Two words: The Kraken
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I still can't decide if that's a genius idea, or just fucking crazy. There was a Typhoon that had missile fail during launch, scattering burning solid rocket fuel across the top of the missile bay. The captain dived the sub to put out the fires and was successful, so?

There's still one active member of the class (I think it's the first one), used in missile development testing. That Sub Brief posted above goes into a bit of detail on how the Typhoon, at lower power levels, could use Natural Convection to flow water through the reactor without using pumps, making it noticeably quieter, and probably inspiring the "caterpillar drive" of The Hunt For Red October.
View Quote

You can do anything in fiction, but we already had a natural circulation prototype and boat, i.e., S5G and USS Narwhal.  Had nothing to do with caterpillar drive.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#16]
There is all sorts of materials there that aren't even nuclear which are "touch this or breathes this you 100% get cancer"
Soviets AND Russians used to let engineers and contractors work on these things without telling them about any of the dangers because it is "classified".
Thats how my mothers friend died.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:29:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How do you get a crew to want to get off a submarine?
How do you get a crew to want to get off a nuc....
View Quote

Cool fact about that shaving scene when he says that-
If you take a good look at him in the next scene his face is only half shaven! It’s in the book and in the movie it’s done subtly enough to go unnoticed unless you’re looking for it...
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They are big subs for sure, but a lot of that space is flooded.  The Typhoon is like two subs bolted together with a few extra compartments in between for torpedoes, control room, and machinery.  The missile tubes are actually outside of the pressure hulls and are surrounded by seawater, possibly because they don't react well to bullets?

http://www.hisutton.com/images/Typhoon_SSBN2200.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jdyUg3a.jpg
View Quote

The Soviets must have had a prior incident involving a gunfight in the missile tube area and this was their solution.  That, or they had instances of missile tube leakage on other subs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Friend of mine’s company built the mock up around a barge for the movie.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Halsey acted stupidly
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haven't you ever seen the game Wack A Mole?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I cannot think of a place I would be more scared of being in, than a sauna with some naked Russian sailors.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not gay when it's underway.  It's only queer at the pier.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You can do anything in fiction, but we already had a natural circulation prototype and boat, i.e., S5G and USS Narwhal.  Had nothing to do with caterpillar drive.
View Quote

Yeah, our acoustical superiority over anything Soviet/Russian is startling abd good.

The mention of the Typhoon’s NC was presented as the first time it was done in an operational Russian submarine. “Caterpillar” is of course totally fictional, the quieting of NC versus running of pumps was suggested as the fictional inspiration of “caterpillar”.

Without knowing, I’m confident that our submarines can use NC at far higher power levels than anyone else’s submarines and that our acoustical advantage remains intact.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes!  I just searched for the link (could not find it on my phone).

I remember it well.  The boomers were (are) shockingly shoddy and third world compared to any sub produced by the west - especially US, German, and other European subs.

As sloppy as they were, I do not dispute the immense destructive power they had.

A rumor I heard was:

- during the Cold War, our targeting capability was far superior to Russia's ICBMs, so the Russians compensated by using much higher yield nukes on their missiles
View Quote
Not a rumor, in fact we did it too qnd that's some of the reason for both sides chasing huge yields.

Read about it in Soldiers of Reason years ago.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Soviets must have had a prior incident involving a gunfight in the missile tube area and this was their solution.  That, or they had instances of missile tube leakage on other subs.
View Quote
It was missile tube leakage that prompted the Typhoon's design of isolating them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#27]
They lose it yet?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#28]
They bit off way more than they could chew with that monstrosity.

None are in service anymore. They might still have one for experimental purposes, but I doubt it.

All those resources that went into making those. Doomed to be scrapped at the end of the Cold War because no one could afford the maintenance Bills.

I've heard that the British governments fleet of Cold War era decommissioned nuclear subs are still sitting in a port somewhere because the Brits don't have a nuclear ship decommissioning program.

The Russians can pull this off. What's the Limey's excuse?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, have you experience in this area...isn't your home country close to the Motherland..
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Fly Big D, Fly..
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

None are in service anymore. They might still have one for experimental purposes, but I doubt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WFlQTICSYw

All those resources that went into making those. Doomed to be scrapped at the end of the Cold War because no one could afford the maintenance Bills.

I've heard that the British governments fleet of Cold War era decommissioned nuclear subs are still sitting in a port somewhere because the Brits don't have a nuclear ship decommissioning program.

View Quote

That's a sad sight to see.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sunshine
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes, but why would you want to?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

those doors are the problem

Could you launch an ICBM horizontally?

Yes, but why would you want to?

Why not?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

They can barely put surface combatants to sea, you want them to chop up others?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes!  I just searched for the link (could not find it on my phone).

I remember it well.  The boomers were (are) shockingly shoddy and third world compared to any sub produced by the west - especially US, German, and other European subs.

As sloppy as they were, I do not dispute the immense destructive power they had.

A rumor I heard was:

- during the Cold War, our targeting capability was far superior to Russia's ICBMs, so the Russians compensated by using much higher yield nukes on their missiles
View Quote

If remember this correctly, they had a steam sauna and bath on, that had all tile like a normal bath.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Emergency crew escape hatches for when they catch on fire or start sinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ivan lived pretty good under the waves in the Typhoon's

https://russianambience.com/inside-giant-russian-typhoon-class-submarine-tk-17-arkhangelsk/
View Quote
... I don't know, it looks rough as a cobb
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They can barely put surface combatants to sea, you want them to chop up others?

Kharn
View Quote

Yes I do.

I want to see every single decommissioned nuclear powered submarine chopped to bits and the reactor compartments put someplace safe for the next few million years.

Exception granted for the USS Nautilus. That can remain a museum ship.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

They don’t have a gazillion square miles of Siberian wasteland where they can dump it?

Edited to quote the relevant part of Hesperus’ post
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
800 feet underwater, in a metal tube, with two nuclear reactors in one end, hundreds of tons of explosives in the other, 24 solid fueled rockets in the middle, all built and maintained by Russians.  

Catching a pickle surprise in the sauna is the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#42]
It wasn't that lightweight stuff either.  It was that chunky, industrial-waste puke!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:06:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the diagram you can see the large escape compartments.   Two on each side of the conning tower.   Supposed to hold at least 40 sailors.  

So not entirely BS.  

If Tom Clancy had known this, Jack Ryan’s ruse wouldn’t have worked.  If the radiation leak was that bad, just pop off the escape compartments and wait for some Soviet trawler to pick them up.  That’s how Russian sailors got off that nuke submarine - if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
800 feet underwater, in a metal tube, with two nuclear reactors in one end, hundreds of tons of explosives in the other, 24 solid fueled rockets in the middle, all built and maintained by Russians.  

Catching a pickle surprise in the sauna is the least of your problems.
View Quote

Awhile ago I had a thread about their Alpha class attack submarines.

Someone commented on their torpedo auto loading system probably loading crewmen into the tubes. That was an image that formed in my minds eye entirely too easily.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would have liked to see Montana
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The largest subs ever made at 48000 tons displacement when submerged.
View Quote

A lot of the displacement was just water... a lot of empty space in the design

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Some things in here don't react well to bullets, eh?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Awhile ago I had a thread about their Alpha class attack submarines.

Someone commented on their torpedo auto loading system probably loading crewmen into the tubes. That was an image that formed in my minds eye entirely too easily.
View Quote
designed by the same engineers that came up with the autoloader in the T72 that would occasionally load the gunner?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are big subs for sure, but a lot of that space is flooded.  The Typhoon is like two subs bolted together with a few extra compartments in between for torpedoes, control room, and machinery.  The missile tubes are actually outside of the pressure hulls and are surrounded by seawater, possibly because they don't react well to bullets?

http://www.hisutton.com/images/Typhoon_SSBN2200.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jdyUg3a.jpg

There was an article a few years ago that showed the interior of a typhoon class and it was quite disappointing compared to the exterior.

Yeah it's not a shortcoming, it's a feature.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
Well they had to convince something the size of a WWII fleet carrier to sink.  The typhoons were very safe and successful overall.  I think they still have one running to test new missiles from.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top