User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

take the first job you get and get real corporate experience. it's a whole lot easier after the first one if you have any idea at all what you're doing and can work with people. teamwork and people skills are often more important than the technical side of things on a team. network. ask your friends from college.
View Quote

To me, "degree relevant" is a very wide swathe of topics. If it has anything to do with programming, electronics, manufacturing, research, quality/testing, etc. I'm interested.

Regarding the girls bit - I admit that might not have been the best way of putting that, LOL. Basically what I mean is, a relationship is a lower priority right now and will not influence any career I am able to take on (except military, that's different). Essentially, I can relocate almost anywhere and start immediately without having to worry about LDRs, dependents, the spouse's career, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pharma/med device sales - look into what you'd need to do to get a foot in the door and what sort of experience needed to get into that industry. Pharm salespeople do very-very well for themselves.

Aside from the degree, what else is on your resume? While some may scoff at head-hunters, I would reach out to some as well as creating a Linkedin page. The jobs they may have might suck and you may not be interested but do yourself a favor and talk to as many as you can and have as many interviews as you can. The more experience you have interviewing, the better you become and listen to them when they offer suggestions on your CV.

Damn near everything in life is sales; getting laid, getting a job, etc...might as well get paid for it. And yes, medical sales does very-very well and will continue to do well regardless if sniffin' Joe bloats Medicaid like FBHO did.
View Quote

I've worked in customer service type roles for years now, since high school. Besides that, there's my Capstone Engineering project, a veterinary science related internship, and a software/chemistry internship. Thanks to part time stuff in college, I can figure out if you need to go to the hospital or teach you how to rock climb

Quoted:
I'm in the same boat as the OP except a lot older, working as Mr. Mom and unleashing my inner domestic diva during the day. I graduated in Dec 2019, had an internship for 6 months, and nothing since except an interview a couple months ago.

I will upgrade and check out that forum someone mentioned earlier in the thread

I have a BSEE, I'm more hardware focused than software. I have years of experience as a mechanic and office guy (I am an A&P) in the aerospace world, but have been trying to move into the utility/power industry. Also interested in RF. Passed my Electrical/Computer FE in August.

Willing to relocate to a free state...

Best wishes for the OP.
View Quote

Thank you and good luck brother. It's a new year, I'm sure 2021 has a lot in store for us.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Air Force or FBI
View Quote

Quoted:

This or a 3 letter agency. Next would be a system integrator like NG, Saic, etc
View Quote

So the FBI requires its applicants to have at least 2 years of experience in their respective fields, but say, what about the ATF?

They're hiring 200 additional agents soon after all, aren't they? Appreciate the comments - I may have to give the local recruiting office a call.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If your grades were good, and you can stomach living on the East Coast for a while, then consider applying at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.  

Bedsides Military, Space, etc we do biomedical.  You may have seen the labs bionic arm on 60 minutes.
View Quote

Thank you for the tip. I understand that everything Johns Hopkins related is highly competitive, but I meet the minimum GPA requirement so I will send a few applications in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Alright, I'm gonna try to keep this short. Me:

+ 22yo recent grad from a public TX university with a BS biomedical eng, minor in bio (good grades)
+ been working at an Amazon FC for the past 6mo with zero luck finding a degree relevant job (not ideal for a multitude of reasons, but still surpass productivity expectations by 200% regularly)
+ no debt thanks to a scholarship so I got that going for me, but my immigrant parents don't have a lot of connections to help me out
+ US citizen with a perfect track record and no drugs, drinking, or girls (commitments*)
+ have 1500 volunteer EMS hours, 2x research internships, also a rock climbing instructor

Figured it's about time I get a little more creative than just throwing resumes to the wind - any of y'all looking for an intern/junior engineer?

+ open to moving anywhere in the country (prefer to avoid commie states but I won't complain) and starting ASAP
+ I have experience with basic CAD stuff in Solidworks, Fusion 360
+ can write code in python, MATLAB, C++, and also program microcontrollers
+ pretty good with hardware stuff, circuits, sensors, troubleshooting etc.
+ very interested in robotics, drones, various electronic devices, medicine, weapons

Any info, advice, or leads on finding a career path would be hugely helpful. Thanks for reading and take care.
View Quote

NAVSEA is always hiring Junior professionals (JPs)
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Join the Army?
View Quote

Or the Coast Guard.  Seriously OP, look at joining.  Dot mil has great benefits and retirement at 20 years unless you want to stay longer.  Are you a minority?  I only ask cause you said your parents were immigrants.  If you are a minority, use that shit to your advantage.  I know the Coast Guard is looking for minorities.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've considered it - I actually put in an OCS packet about a month ago. Started the security clearance, passed the physical/medical, aced the ASVAB, and was recommended by the board after my interview. However, I have not heard a word back since then. To tell you the truth, I would still prefer to find a regular civilian job, but joining the military is a close second and I'm sure I'd thrive there as well.

I'd rather not enlist as that wouldn't allow me to utilize what I've learned over the past four years.
View Quote
A whole month you say?  lol.

Be patient - it takes a while. Stars have to align with class availability, Authorized End Strength goals, MP,A funding, and a multitude of other things.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:12:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Can’t help you brother but you seem to have your shit together, good luck to you!
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

NAVSEA is always hiring Junior professionals (JPs)
View Quote

That’s not a bad idea since OP mentioned a weapons interest. The average age in most of the Warfare Centers is mid-50s. They’re hiring warm bodies like mad. BS level engineers advance quickly in the DoD and their lack of advanced degrees does not hurt then like it can in industry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
@Nathaniel_Hawkins
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:30:18 AM EDT
[#13]
While I can’t offer you anything in my field, I will tell you to never settle. Always be trying to grab that ring. Keep your head up and good luck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thank you and good luck brother. It's a new year, I'm sure 2021 has a lot in store for us.
View Quote

Thanks! It does, and hopefully it involves more shooting, I had three range visits in all of 2020.

I've got two hot leads I started working Friday, thanks Arfcom!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#15]
LinkedIn is your friend.

I get, admittedly with hundreds of connections and an extensive work resume, all of my job offers through these connections.  Start building your professional network now and even if it doesn't get you the next job it may get you the one after that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#16]
What does good grades mean on 4.0 scale? 2.7, 2.0?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Limb Lab
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Contact the university’s career assistance office.
Graduates that don’t find jobs looks bad for them.
Contact your adviser, start asking for industry leads.
Get your ask in the internet and start DDG firms in your preferred industry.
Most initial interviews are on line so it doesn’t matter if the firm is out of state.
Lastly, look into a career search firm that is specific or has vast experience in your chosen field.
Engineering jobs are out there.
We are looking for mechanical engineer/designer, electrical engineer/designer, and architects/designer.
Entry to 2 years experience or licensed with experience in our industry
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Join the Army?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alright, I'm gonna try to keep this short. Me:

+ 22yo recent grad from a public TX university with a BS biomedical eng, minor in bio (good grades)
+ been working at an Amazon FC for the past 6mo with zero luck finding a degree relevant job (dislike it here for a multitude of reasons)
+ no debt thanks to a scholarship so I got that going for me, but my immigrant parents don't have a lot of connections to help me out
+ US citizen with a perfect track record

Figured it's about time I get a little more creative then just throwing resumes to the wind - any of y'all looking for an intern/junior engineer?

+ open to moving anywhere in the country (prefer to avoid commie states but I won't complain)
+ I have experience with basic CAD stuff in Solidworks, Fusion 360
+ can write code in python, MATLAB, C++, and also program microcontrollers
+ pretty good with hardware stuff, circuits, sensors, etc.
+ very interested in robotics, drones, various electronic devices, medicine, weapons

Join the Army?

Do not join the fucking Army. Double nope on infantry unless you just want to totally and completely waste your time. Guys here espouse the greatness of that shit, and I guess it is all about how you write your resume, but if you're as educated as you say you are, you will have wasted a very important portion of your life on literally the stupidest shit tier job the military has to offer.

Go Air Force officer instead. You have the education and expertise, make it work for you and actually do something with it that will further your career.

Drones these days are problematic because guys are getting into them and then thinking they're of higher standing than they really are. To get a job working on DRONES some of these companies are requiring new hires to have an A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) like a fucking drone has fuckall in common with a turboprop or even a piston airplane. Many 107 drone operators are even calling themselves pilots in a Twilight Zone level ironic way.

There are a whole lot of new drone delivery startups looking for 135 certification (meaning "For Hire") like UPS and Amazon. Actually Amazon has a sooper secret facility out in Washington with pretty much their own town. Might look into that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#20]
PM me your resume
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#22]
https://aecom.com/careers/

Largest engineering group in the world last time I checked.  Travel is a plus.
Getting hired at any level and switching to a job you actually want internally is easier than outside hire.
Lots of environmental work, as long as you can read a PH meter and not fuck up a chain of custody you should be able to get a foot in the door.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

To me, "degree relevant" is a very wide swathe of topics. If it has anything to do with programming, electronics, manufacturing, research, quality/testing, etc. I'm interested.

Regarding the girls bit - I admit that might not have been the best way of putting that, LOL. Basically what I mean is, a relationship is a lower priority right now and will not influence any career I am able to take on (except military, that's different). Essentially, I can relocate almost anywhere and start immediately without having to worry about LDRs, dependents, the spouse's career, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

take the first job you get and get real corporate experience. it's a whole lot easier after the first one if you have any idea at all what you're doing and can work with people. teamwork and people skills are often more important than the technical side of things on a team. network. ask your friends from college.

there is a part of the puzzle missing and we don't know what it is. where i work probably employs 500+ recent grads most of which dont have the credentials you do. most fortune 500s are similar. so whats the missing part on the why you can't get a job? bombing interviews? can't work with people? criminal history? i dont know but it seems like theres something. tech is tripping over themselves to try and get new entry level talent in the hope the 10% of them work out and stay on full time. i cant speak for other industries,
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:23:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:37:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most initial interviews are on line so it doesn’t matter if the firm is out of state.
Lastly, look into a career search firm that is specific or has vast experience in your chosen field.
We are looking for mechanical engineer/designer, electrical engineer/designer, and architects/designer.
View Quote

Thank you, I'll send my advisor another email. I can say with decent confidence that I'm likely on par with most other EE graduates out there, the coursework just focused on applying those concepts to medical and related devices.

Quoted:

Do not join the fucking Army. Double nope on infantry unless you just want to totally and completely waste your time. Guys here espouse the greatness of that shit, and I guess it is all about how you write your resume, but if you're as educated as you say you are, you will have wasted a very important portion of your life on literally the stupidest shit tier job the military has to offer.

Go Air Force officer instead. You have the education and expertise, make it work for you and actually do something with it that will further your career.

Drones these days are problematic because guys are getting into them and then thinking they're of higher standing than they really are. To get a job working on DRONES some of these companies are requiring new hires to have an A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) like a fucking drone has fuckall in common with a turboprop or even a piston airplane. Many 107 drone operators are even calling themselves pilots in a Twilight Zone level ironic way.

There are a whole lot of new drone delivery startups looking for 135 certification (meaning "For Hire") like UPS and Amazon. Actually Amazon has a sooper secret facility out in Washington with pretty much their own town. Might look into that.
View Quote

I was looking at the Chair Force, but it seems like they're extremely picky and only go for folks with very specific degrees. The only way I could go that route is to become a pilot.

Quoted:

there is a part of the puzzle missing and we don't know what it is. where i work probably employs 500+ recent grads most of which dont have the credentials you do. most fortune 500s are similar. so whats the missing part on the why you can't get a job? bombing interviews? can't work with people? criminal history? i dont know but it seems like theres something. tech is tripping over themselves to try and get new entry level talent in the hope the 10% of them work out and stay on full time. i cant speak for other industries,
View Quote

My interview skills need work and I don't have an industry relevant internship under my belt so that would be two pretty big things I'd say. Some others mentioned this too, but it's also fairly standard practice to enter the workforce with an MS in BME. There could certainly be something else I'm doing wrong and just don't know.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd choose EE since it's basically the same stuff and not waste so much time doing irrelevant things.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you, I'll send my advisor another email. I can say with decent confidence that I'm likely on par with most other EE graduates out there, the coursework just focused on applying those concepts to medical and related devices.

I was looking at the Chair Force, but it seems like they're extremely picky and only go for folks with very specific degrees. The only way I could go that route is to become a pilot.

My interview skills need work and I don't have an industry relevant internship under my belt so that would be two pretty big things I'd say. Some others mentioned this too, but it's also fairly standard practice to enter the workforce with an MS in BME. There could certainly be something else I'm doing wrong and just don't know.

If I could go back and do it all over again, I'd choose EE since it's basically the same stuff and not waste so much time doing irrelevant things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I’m being helpful and I would say it’s poor form to label any military service in a derogatory manner and in the same sentence state you wanted to work for them.

Your number one thing to work on is communication. To think you need an MS in any entry level role is simply wrong. In fact, you’re actually going to hurt yourself because you’ll be saddled with debt, age, and a lack of experience from those who started working before you.

My best recommendation?  Humble yourself since you’re the one asking for a job.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’m being helpful and I would say it’s poor form to label any military service in a derogatory manner and in the same sentence state you wanted to work for them.

Your number one thing to work on is communication. To think you need an MS in any entry level role is simply wrong. In fact, you’re actually going to hurt yourself because you’ll be saddled with debt, age, and a lack of experience from those who started working before you.

My best recommendation?  Humble yourself since you’re the one asking for a job.
View Quote

Is that derogatory? If so, I was not aware and certainly didn't mean it like so given the fact that yes, I wanted to join. There's a wide mix of opinions about various branches of military service even in this thread alone - that term was only used in a nature of good fun in the context of a casual forum. I do apologize if I offended any Air Force service members or prior service though.

I don't believe it's a necessity for "any entry level role," only a fairly specialized subset of engineering. I'm not lying when I say the majority of my peers have been unable to find decent jobs and have therefore returned to school as a result. I never said I expected it to be impossible, or easy.

Regardless, thank you for your thoughts. Still trying to navigate the balance between exaggerating accomplishments to "sell oneself" and a humble attitude, so if you could divulge where you got the impression of arrogance or pride, feel free to let me know. The statement on recruiting with the AF may not have been very eloquently worded, but it's the truth. It's by far the most competitive service and they only accept a very limited selection of degrees for officer school.

I'm slowly working my way through the other suggestions in the comments. Thanks all.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top