Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
No NFA items here, my range is on my land and private.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Fuck no
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah... it's none of their fucking business. As long as you're not being a idiot on the range.
View Quote

I've always assumed that it's less of a Nosy Nancy thing and more of the fact that most ranges are already under assault from leftists and they're trying to avoid getting accused of turning a blind eye to people using "illegal" items on their range.  

No doubt, they don't run background checks on everyone checking in, so they have no idea if the guy on lane two is a convicted rapist illegally in possession of a firearm, but it's pretty obvious to all when someone has a suppressed SBR.

I get it, they shouldn't assume a person is breaking the law and it's not their job to enforce it, but I also acknowledge that it's probably pretty tough to run a range in this increasingly hostile political environment...so I try to give them a break.  I wish I could shoot on my own land, but that's just not an option anywhere around me.  The closest private land I have access to is a 90 minute drive away.

TL;DR: Their range, their rules.  Don't like it, don't shoot there.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Never
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Inb4 the fake stamps like fake covid cards
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Inb4 the fake stamps like fake covid cards
The real ones are just an image on a PDF these days.

Quoted:
The county range staff called the sheriff's office on a guy with an undocumented nfa item.  The deputy sent the guy home advising him to bring his paperwork the next visit if he wanted to shoot it.
Deputy was more pro-gun than the range! lol
That range is bad, and they should feel bad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The NRA HQ range is where I shoot the most often and I've seen in their written rules that you must have paperwork and show it if asked if you choose to shoot an NFA item there.  Thus, when I brought my first NFA item there several months ago, I asked if they needed to see the paperwork when I was checking in...and was pleasantly surprised that the guy responded, "Nope, I don't work for the ATF."
View Quote

Last time I was there I was asked.  Guy acted like he'd never seen a Form 2 before.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Last time I was there I was asked.  Guy acted like he'd never seen a Form 2 before.
View Quote

Guy on the desk or did an RO actually bug you while you were on the line?

Either way, he clearly shouldn't be asking you for paperwork if he doesn't know how to interpret it. That would piss me off a bit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ask to see their corporate income tax return.  Gotta be sure they’re on the up and up.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Lol no.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
This would be like asking to see your drivers license since you parked in their parking lot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Ask to see their w2
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#13]
My local range has no officials. Just a bunch of muzzle sweeping morons that have very little controlled range etiquette. And wouldn't know a tax stamp from their asshole.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:34:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've always assumed that it's less of a Nosy Nancy thing and more of the fact that most ranges are already under assault from leftists and they're trying to avoid getting accused of turning a blind eye to people using "illegal" items on their range.  

No doubt, they don't run background checks on everyone checking in, so they have no idea if the guy on lane two is a convicted rapist illegally in possession of a firearm, but it's pretty obvious to all when someone has a suppressed SBR.

I get it, they shouldn't assume a person is breaking the law and it's not their job to enforce it, but I also acknowledge that it's probably pretty tough to run a range in this increasingly hostile political environment...so I just try to give them a break.  I wish I could just shoot on my own land, but that's just not an option anywhere around me.  The closest private land I have access to is a 90 minute drive away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah... it's none of their fucking business. As long as you're not being a idiot on the range.

I get it, they shouldn't assume a person is breaking the law and it's not their job to enforce it, but I also acknowledge that it's probably pretty tough to run a range in this increasingly hostile political environment...so I just try to give them a break.  I wish I could just shoot on my own land, but that's just not an option anywhere around me.  The closest private land I have access to is a 90 minute drive away.

I don't know what the rules are like in your State. But in Michigan, you can go on State land anywhere, and any place that looks like a nice spot to shoot. You can shoot there, no problems. I'd figure most State's that cool too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The NRA HQ range is where I shoot the most often and I've seen in their written rules that you must have paperwork and show it if asked if you choose to shoot an NFA item there.  Thus, when I brought my first NFA item there several months ago, I asked if they needed to see the paperwork when I was checking in...and was pleasantly surprised that the guy responded, "Nope, I don't work for the ATF."
View Quote

Good to see you still posting, Scuba_Steve!

Blue Ridge Arsenal  NFA-carded me once.  

Have not shot there again since Elite opened up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#16]
No. They encourage anything you can carry in.
Attachment Attached File

And some things you have to road in.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#17]
It's not uncommon. They just want to make sure you don't have illegal weapons. It's there business so they make the rules. You don't have to show them and you don't have to shoot there. Gun people are assholes on both sides of the counter.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Good to see you still posting, Scuba_Steve!

Blue Ridge Arsenal  NFA-carded me once.  

Have not shot there again since Elite opened up.
View Quote

@Dominion21

Back at you!  . How's the G27 treating you? Good I hope. I replaced every spring in her before I let her go.  She was just a little too snappy for my girly little hands.  

The BRA range was always fairly lame, with very questionable air handling, but they closed down. A new owner operated it for a bit this year as Blackfish Armory, but sadly they've gone out of business as well. It's just a tough spot for a range, in the back of an industrial park, and there's no reason really to go there with one of the best ranges on the East Coast so close. Elite just rocks. I wish it wasn't so far from me, but I'm 20 minutes north of the NRA.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need to go to a different range.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Nope

I see the range owner in the mirror every morning.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Nope, even though they make me sit if full-auto.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Fuck that. Never. Not even does the sheriffs range that is open to the public in my AO ask about it.

I belong to a private club but of all the public ranges I’ve been to, they don’t care.

What is the benefit for the range to check?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:44:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I’m not some pocket protector having, no pussy gettin lame ass. I ain’t carrying around a stamp collection to make some boot licker feel safe.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:53:19 AM EDT
[#25]
This is the way.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Not once
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:58:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Naw. But the RO does ask if I'd like a splash of whisky.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#28]
No....hell, I’ve never seen a RO at the range I’m a member at unless there was a competition going on.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Naw. But the RO does ask if I'd like a splash of whisky.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/340315/20201218_121918_jpg-1778544.JPG
View Quote

I really envy you guys.  Life choices.  I've made some bad ones.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Hard to show something electronic.....sorry left my phone at home.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Most that's happened to me is a range worker saw me shooting my MP40 and came running into the private lane wanting to handle it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Nope.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Public outdoor ranges, no.  I had a private indoor range ask me about a suppressor, even though it wasn’t in their rules. I luckily had a copy.  Haven’t been back.  If I were shooting a subgun I’d ask but for a suppressor or SBR that meets their caliber constraints it’s really none of their business.  I”ll only use their range now if somebody else needs to go there.  Not having it as a written down rule and interrupting me at the booth for a non-safety pulse-check is chicken shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:26:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Was at a match once and one of the range people asked to see it for an SBR. Plenty of people with them besides me but he knew them. I told him I would go last after everyone else showed theirs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:28:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No one has ever asked to see it. And they can fuck right off.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I have been to Shooters World Tampa dozens of times and have spent a small chunk of change there in various magazines, ammo and accessories.With all that being said the place wants your name,address and phone number every time you buy something.When asked why I’ve been told repeatedly it’s for returns but if you look at their return policy on their receipts they really don’t allow returns on anything.They give me the vibe of a place that would have ZERO problems turning over your  purchase records to any .gov agency that comes calling.I only pay cash there now and I don’t give em my personal info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Never
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:35:01 AM EDT
[#38]
None of their business on general principle.

Show them a fake form if you just want to fuck with them.

Be sure to let them know that Mickey Mouse is INDEED your legal name.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:31:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I am not NOT an LEO, so it is none of my business!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Yup.  DFW Gun Range asks every time.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:36:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think there are Hipaa laws against that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Went to an indoor range while we lived in Clearwater, FL. Counter monkeys wanted to see my tax stamp for my MP5. Told him no, that was a personal tax document and he had zero reason to see it. He told me he would have to confiscate the MP5 until proof of ownership could be determined.
Told him he was going to have one hell of a fight on his hands if he thought for a second he was going to take my MP5.
Our little exchange got the attention of a cop and store manager. Manager wanted to k ow what was going on. Told him his flunky was writing a check his ass couldn't cash. The cop laughed. The manager said he would take care of the counter monkey.
The wife looked at me and asked if she really heard that kid right. Told her yes. She laughed, a lot.

The store was Shoot Straight over by the Tampa fairgrounds.

After we moved back here to Knoxville. I had my Serbu Super Shorty at one of the outdoor ranges. RSO asked me for the tax form. Told him nope. Call a  cop or the ATF if it's that important to you. He walked away.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:40:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I've never had it come up.  As long as someone is safe I don't care what he/she shoots so long as it's allowed on that range.  (As in no centerfire rifles on the handgun range, etc.)

I just looked at the rules and it does say to shoot fully auto you need to have RSO or CRSO permission and show paperwork.

The rules for the nearby public range says "Fully automatic weapons...are not allowed."

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#44]
“K. Bye.”
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm in CA so no NFA here. But if you show up at the local range with an AR, the RO gives the sheriffs department a "courtesy call".

It seems like everyone who works at a range is decidedly anti gun

Also, "Rapid fire" is more that one shot every 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Do they check every customer to see if they're a prohibited person?

Any justification for checking stamps would apply equally to that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:23:27 AM EDT
[#47]
LOL!!!

No.

It's a small club. Everybody already knows.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Was at a match once and one of the range people asked to see it for an SBR. Plenty of people with them besides me but he knew them. I told him I would go last after everyone else showed theirs.
View Quote

I like that response!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#49]
No.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Noice!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ask to see their corporate income tax return.  Gotta be sure they’re on the up and up.

Noice!

Yep. Same thing. I shoot at a private club, but if I am ever at a public range and it happens, that will be my response. "How do I know you are paying your tax and sales tax? You get your tax information for your business and meet me at the counter. I will get the tax information for my suppressor. I'm sure we'll both feel a lot more comfortable after that."
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top