[#1]
After shipping it's the same price I'm paying local for Federal .308
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After shipping it's the same price I'm paying local for Federal .308
View Quote

At least online, I'm not seeing anyone in stock for Federal ball ammo for less than $20/bx, and almost no one in-stock for under $30/box.  Locally, if you can find anything at all, you're paying close to $30 at least before tax.  From what I'm hearing, lately no one has 7.62mm ball ammo in stock anywhere from any brand locally, so you're lucky you can find it at all in your area.  When I was in Tucson last time I couldn't find anything at any store I tried except for some Prvi hunting ammo of some sort, so this is an issue in other locales besides my own as well.

Came out to about $16.43/20 for me after shipping, which isn't horrible, especially considering I'm getting another can and chargers, both of which I could use (I reload my fixed-mag FALs with chargers, and they do wear out; they're around $2 each these days).  Last time I found Hirtenberger it was $11.95-12.95/20 in boxes depending on the quantity, plus tax (and/or shipping, but I bought it from the vendor in-person).  This was in 2017, I think; maybe 2018.  I haven't seen any in a while.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a bad price in this market.  DSA was selling Port 308 this summer for about .50 cpr shipped

Hirtenberg is good stuff tho the boxer primed stuff I had years ago would jam up my depriming tool - flash hole was undersized for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"This product requires an ammunition statement form if you do not have an FFL."
View Quote

What kind of fagotry is this!

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
How did you guys get a hold of Dan? I've called the number on the sight and it goes straight to VM. I even left a message and he hasn't calld me back. My order is still on hold.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]
A copy of my DL and stuff just for ammo? I’m in OH not NJ. I’ll just keep the press running for blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How did you guys get a hold of Dan? I've called the number on the sight and it goes straight to VM. I even left a message and he hasn't calld me back. My order is still on hold.
View Quote

I called the number, and when it gave me the options, I pressed 0 for the operator, and Dan answered.  It's possible you called outside of hours (I don't know what those are, though).

He explained to me that due to volume, they are taking 3-5 days from when you place the order to when Fedex gets it, and Fedex shipping is 2-3 days (IIRC, he said it's supposed to be two, but they are sometimes taking a bit longer due to their own issues).  Between placing the order and them getting around to getting a shipping label, it shows as being on hold.  When they are ready to ship, they'll send an e-mail out telling you that and it won't show as being on hold anymore.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I called the number, and when it gave me the options, I pressed 0 for the operator, and Dan answered.  It's possible you called outside of hours (I don't know what those are, though).

He explained to me that due to volume, they are taking 3-5 days from when you place the order to when Fedex gets it, and Fedex shipping is 2-3 days (IIRC, he said it's supposed to be two, but they are sometimes taking a bit longer due to their own issues).  Between placing the order and them getting around to getting a shipping label, it shows as being on hold.  When they are ready to ship, they'll send an e-mail out telling you that and it won't show as being on hold anymore.

View Quote

Ah, ok, thanks for the info. I did the phone options too and still got his VM. I also called during regular business hours. That's cool, I;m just worried about not getting it since I didn't fill out the driver's license form.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Didn't Aim Surplus do that back in the day?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"This product requires an ammunition statement form if you do not have an FFL."

Lol.  They can keep their ammo.

I remember having to upload a DL pic years ago with them
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ah, ok, thanks for the info. I did the phone options too and still got his VM. I also called during regular business hours. That's cool, I'm just worried about not getting it since I didn't fill out the driver's license form.
View Quote

I didn't fill it out.  While I didn't directly ask about it, he mentioned it briefly due to a lot of concerns about it from folks here, and I got the impression from him that it wasn't going to be a big deal for the folks that didn't fill it out.  I don't think anyone's going to get their order cancelled or placed on hold indefinitely due to not filling out the form.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"This product requires an ammunition statement form if you do not have an FFL."

I feel like that was a thing, too.  IIRC, they had a breach and someone got all of that info, which is part of why I am not a fan of such practices.

J&G seems to want your DL to make a record of it if you buy from them at their storefront.  I don't know why.  I don't recall ever having to do that to order online.

I've had one other place ask for my DL, but it was not routine for them; they wanted that and some other stuff as proof that I am the person paying for the ammo due to having the ammo ship to another State.  Most places don't care, though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I didn't fill it out.  While I didn't directly ask about it, he mentioned it briefly due to a lot of concerns about it from folks here, and I got the impression from him that it wasn't going to be a big deal for the folks that didn't fill it out.  I don't think anyone's going to get their order cancelled or placed on hold indefinitely due to not filling out the form.

View Quote

Alright, makes me feel better. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can understand them wanting that form given the current political climate
View Quote
Oh yeah?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can understand them wanting that form given the current political climate
View Quote

The current climate actually makes it less understandable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#15]
What's in the can?

400 rounds in bandoleers, on 5 round strippers .. I'm assuming this is Berdan primed / steel jacketed

Opening A 42 Year Old Crate of 7.62x51
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What's in the can?

400 rounds in bandoleers, on 5 round strippers .. I'm assuming this is Berdan primed / steel jacketed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWjh0ja1UU
View Quote

x800
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What's in the can?

View Quote

I don't recall if some or all Hirtenberger has a bimetal jacket (I don't have anymore left), although I believe it does.

Some sites say this is 1980s ammo, some say late 1970s and 1980s ammo.  The 1980s stuff I've examined after shooting was Boxer primed.  The 1970s stuff was Berdan primed.  I'd have to go through my cases to see which years were which, specifically.

I'm assuming these bandoliers are the 5-pocket type instead of the 6-pocket sometimes seen with NATO ammo based on the quantity of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What's in the can?

View Quote

I don't think it will be steel jacketed if it's NATO spec.
I hope Dan calls me because I want to upgrade my order to a crate.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't recall if some or all Hirtenberger has a bimetal jacket (I don't have anymore left), although I believe it does.

Some sites say this is 1980s ammo, some say late 1970s and 1980s ammo.  The 1980s stuff I've examined after shooting was Boxer primed.  The 1970s stuff was Berdan primed.  I'd have to go through my cases to see which years were which, specifically.

I'm assuming these bandoliers are the 5-pocket type instead of the 6-pocket sometimes seen with NATO ammo based on the quantity of ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's in the can?

Thanks for the info.

Ordered 14 Jan
Called twice, no answer
email once, no response

The video above shows 5 pocket bandoleers, mfd 1979... probably Berdan primed.

Video comments:
1 guy said " Sold out "
1 day ago

Another guy said
"Still available
Jan. 17, 2021
Berdan primed,  non Corrosive
Attracts Magnet? Yes "

Website say's " Temporarily out of stock. Will return to stock Wednesday 1/20/21 "
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

Boxer primer

I'm only opening one box but the one I opened was boxer primed
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I suspect that the majority of this batch of ammo that was imported is Boxer primed.  I wouldn't toss my cases or sell them for scrap before checking and seeing which they are.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
@yamahawarrior89

You DA MAN

Thanks for the pics - Is the Bullet 150 gr steel jacketed?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@yamahawarrior89

You DA MAN

Thanks for the pics - Is the Bullet 150 gr steel jacketed?
View Quote

Magnet sticks to it, this one weighed 146.5gr
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Magnet sticks to it, this one weighed 146.5gr
View Quote

Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I ordered some of this on the 16th and received it today the 21st . The ammo is in really good shape .Thanx for the heads up . ??????
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"This product requires an ammunition statement form if you do not have an FFL."

View Quote

I bought some of the 7.62x51 and some of the 303 and I didn't give them anything but my address, phone # and cc info .??????
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Got mine looks excellent. Wish I went ahead and got a crate instead of one can though. Thanks OP, the strippers are smooth as butter going into my Socom 16.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I got a notice today that my order is being processed.  Hopefully it'll ship soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/372855/20210118_201821_jpg-1785842.JPG

Boxer primer

I'm only opening one box but the one I opened was boxer primed
View Quote

Great pics and info! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I got a notice today that my order is being processed.  Hopefully it'll ship soon.
View Quote

I got email yesterday. Hopefully indeed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I got email yesterday. Hopefully indeed.
View Quote

LOL, it just showed up! Very nice, clean ammo. From 1979.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

LOL, it just showed up! Very nice, clean ammo. From 1979.
View Quote

Just got my shit too ... Dated 1979 - must be Berdan Prime (I understand 80's Mfd is Boxer prime).

Either way, still a good deal for clean ammo on 80 clips in bandos + can
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Never got a dusty old can like this before?
I’ll give it a try. How can you tell when it’s manufactured ?
Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Either printed on the side of the can or side of the crate.

It will be month/year. Look at the pictures above.

3/82 or 11/86
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine came in last night.  Website still says order is processing and I got no e-mail notice, so I was surprised to see the can on the doorstep after waking up this morning.  Perfect timing on arrival, though.  Ammo looks great and chargers are smooth.  Has the no-date headstamp and green sealant.  Can and bandoliers have no markings that I can see, so I have no idea what year this ammo was made.  All of the past Hirtenberger ammo I've had that had dates had the red sealant; not sure what the difference in color means, if anything.

All of this ammo was signature-required, and I'm sure added to the cost of shipping, but no one signed for the stuff, which seems to be a trend since this COVID stuff started.  I'll bet there's a no-contact policy which makes paying or charging extra for signature-required a waste of money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/46983/98048F25-7600-4FC6-912B-EF0C4E630B5A_jpe-1789192.JPG
Got mine looks excellent. Wish I went ahead and got a crate instead of one can though. Thanks OP, the strippers are smooth as butter going into my Socom 16.
View Quote

Mine looks just like yours.  I ordered one to see what it was like, I ordered another ended up a little cheaper for round 2 so I ended up with 800 rds.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I placed an order with Max-Arms on the 16th. Nothing since then and the order shows "On-Hold".

No reply to an e-mail sent 3 days ago.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I placed an order with Max-Arms on the 16th. Nothing since then and the order shows "On-Hold".

View Quote

My first order was on the 13th and got it the 20th. My second was on the 20th and other than an order confirmation, nothing. They probably got swamped.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Mine came in last night.  Website still says order is processing and I got no e-mail notice, so I was surprised to see the can on the doorstep after waking up this morning.  Perfect timing on arrival, though.  Ammo looks great and chargers are smooth.  Has the no-date headstamp and green sealant.  Can and bandoliers have no markings that I can see, so I have no idea what year this ammo was made.  All of the past Hirtenberger ammo I've had that had dates had the red sealant; not sure what the difference in color means, if anything.

All of this ammo was signature-required, and I'm sure added to the cost of shipping, but no one signed for the stuff, which seems to be a trend since this COVID stuff started.  I'll bet there's a no-contact policy which makes paying or charging extra for signature-required a waste of money.
View Quote

Liability. Leave it on there if a minor got ahold of the ammo and did something stupid, the seller would be exempt as they required a signature from an adult and then the shipper would default to COVID defense.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Bad news, they're cancelling orders, at least they are offering a coupon and refunds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#43]
They must be a really small place.  I bet we totally overwhelmed them with orders, even with the price going up (I think it was at $330 per can last I saw).  I really wish that I had a little more money at the time so I could have gotten a full case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got mine 6 days ago, but it still says my order is processing, and still shows the old shipping amount before Dan fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got mine 6 days ago, but it still says my order is processing, and still shows the old shipping amount before Dan fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bad news, they're cancelling orders, at least they are offering a coupon and refunds.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/253119/max_arms_jpg-1800904.JPG
View Quote

I just received that too... Bummer...
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I just received that too... Bummer...
View Quote

I'd rather have the ammo than a $70 coupon to no in stock items.  I wanted some AUG mags but they don't have any of those either.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd rather have the ammo than a $70 coupon to no in stock items.  I wanted some AUG mags but they don't have any of those either.
View Quote

Does the coupon expire?  Maybe it can be used once we get into better days, assuming we do.  Seems like it's tough even for the big companies to keep decent inventory.  Must be tough as heck for small companies that get any significant exposure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:33:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Does the coupon expire?  Maybe it can be used once we get into better days, assuming we do.  Seems like it's tough even for the big companies to keep decent inventory.  Must be tough as heck for small companies that get any significant exposure.
View Quote

I can imagine, same sit here. It doesn’t say it expires so we will see.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#50]
In this thread we see a lot of people who failed to plan adequately.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top