Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 70
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

GME is dramatically undervalued at the ~$340 it is currently trading at. Its true value is Citadel's marginal ability to pay to stay in business. Or, the FED's willingness to print away Citadel's failure to prevent counter-party contagion. That pain point hasn't been reached yet.

The rest of the things being traded are mostly pump and dumps. GME is now a financial singularity with no clear way out.
View Quote

@Katanasword or other knowledgeable people. What happens if the firm(citadel) simply oversold the short positions and cant cover the stock ? How does the investor who bought options at say 20 bucks a share get paid when share price is 300 a share at the deadline?  Can hedgefund people go to FPMITA prison? (federal time, even club fed with martha stewart)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

@Katanasword or other knowledgeable people. What happens if the firm(citadel) simply oversold the short positions and cant cover the stock ? How does the investor who bought options at say 20 bucks a share get paid when share price is 300 a share at the deadline?  Can hedgefund people go to FPMITA prison? (federal time, even club fed with martha stewart)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GME is dramatically undervalued at the ~$340 it is currently trading at. Its true value is Citadel's marginal ability to pay to stay in business. Or, the FED's willingness to print away Citadel's failure to prevent counter-party contagion. That pain point hasn't been reached yet.

The rest of the things being traded are mostly pump and dumps. GME is now a financial singularity with no clear way out.

That's half of the thing, yeah.

The other half is who else on wall street is short this, and bought call options from Citadel as insurance against their bet going bad? How far will the contagion of a second financial black swan in less than a year spread?

Counter-party risk is a big elephant in this room.

(Disclosure note, I bought a bunch of VIX calls at close.)
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whoever backstopped the hedge fund's capital starts selling off hard assets, if there aren't any financial instruments.

Think Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to leverage with silver without using options, SILJ is a silver junior miners ETF. If they moon the price of silver, SILJ will see multiples of that gain.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Fucking in
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Wall Street In PANIC MODE, Trading On GameStop And AMC Halted As Plebs NUKE Elite's Hedge Funds
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The Chamath interview on CNBC today was epic.
Staying long.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, that's the interesting part. This isn't a pump and dump. It's an externality of over-leveraged short and options positions being exposed to tail risk. GME is a financial singularity now.

That doesn't mean you should put money in it. I don't think anyone gets paid out of this, since no-one on the other side of the trade can afford to pay...
View Quote

The people getting paid will be the ones shorting it when it collapses.

Someone out there is big enough to make a killing off the collapse of gme.  Could even be the folks who initiated the squeeze.

Beyond that I'm not convinced of the uniqueness of gme at the moment.

Retail investors are going to get nervous, and there won't be enough new money flowing into support the price.

But who knows, we haven't had a good bubble pop in a while.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, that's the interesting part. This isn't a pump and dump. It's an externality of over-leveraged short and options positions being exposed to tail risk. GME is a financial singularity now.

That doesn't mean you should put money in it. I don't think anyone gets paid out of this, since no-one on the other side of the trade can afford to pay...
View Quote

I'm not sure what the endgame is. But I can see holders get wiped out because no one  can pay them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In all seriousness, that's not just picking a fight with Melvin. That's fighting The Fed, the large banks and the govt
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My body is ready.
In all seriousness, that's not just picking a fight with Melvin. That's fighting The Fed, the large banks and the govt

Please, oh please.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
The fallout from this will be epic.

Expect SEC to ban retail trading. You won't be able to own stocks except through a mutual fund.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can a short just walk away in bankruptcy, and be like "sorry, I can't cover...ever"?

I'm not sure some of this has ever happened before

ETA:
Melvin Capital was also short EVTCY.  Pumping that one as well .  They've got to be done after this
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
He's up to 47 million now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Someone out there is big enough to make a killing off the collapse of gme.  Could even be the folks who initiated the squeeze.

Retail investors are going to get nervous, and there won't be enough new money flowing into support the price.

View Quote

The problem is the options expiring on Friday. If GME doesn't crash by Friday, things burn. There's no way for the shorts to cover at this point.

From a supply and demand standpoint, there is demand for substantially more shares of GME than exist, and most of the market participants know that. The price will eventually fall, but only after things are deleveraged, not before.

Quoted:

I'm not sure what the endgame is. But I can see holders get wiped out because no one  can pay them.
View Quote

Ding ding ding. This is why I took most of my risk off the table and am just running profit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can a short just walk away in bankruptcy, and be like "sorry, I can't cover...ever"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The broker who loaned the share to the short is now on the hook. If they can't pay, I believe it goes to FDIC.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He's up to 47 million now.
View Quote

MotherOfGod.jpg

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:48:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA:
Melvin Capital was also short EVTCY.  Pumping that one as well .  They've got to be done after this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

It’s a Lehman moment.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's a Lehman moment.
View Quote
Yep, I expect the contagion to spread rapidly.  Next week, when this Friday's call options are cleared, will show how many were swimming naked.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The problem is the options expiring on Friday. If GME doesn't crash by Friday, things burn. There's no way for the shorts to cover at this point.

From a supply and demand standpoint, there is demand for substantially more shares of GME than exist, and most of the market participants know that. The price will eventually fall, but only after things are deleveraged, not before.

Ding ding ding. This is why I took most of my risk off the table and am just running profit.
View Quote

Just to make sure I'm clear Citadel had no stop losses in place?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's unwound a bit but not sane at all still.  TD and CS locking down trading is going to be interesting if people are unable to unload their shares.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/67501/gme1_JPG-1799361.JPG

The shorts will keep coming because it is over-valued and someone is going to ride it down at some point and reap a windfall.  Hedge funds just can't trigger the fall on this one like they are accustomed to doing.

Of course GME is over-valued, this is an obvious bubble.  It's interesting and it's fun, but without reddit pumping the price it never would have gone that high, ever.  I hope the folks that eventually lose everything they put into it are fine with it and did it for laughs.  If someone is putting real money on the line for the ride up - well, they should have known better what they were getting into.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Chamath interview on CNBC today was epic.
Staying long.
View Quote

Chamath Palihapitiya debates CNBC''s Scott Wapner on Gamestop stocks

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such thing as stop losses on short sales.  They already borrowed the stocks and sold them, now they need to return those stocks, at the market price.  Not Citadel, they funded Melvin, which had a large short position on GME.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's no official disclosure of that. But, back of the envelope, there weren't enough shares of GME sold between yesterday and today for them to have hedged gamma risk, assuming they're the majority of the short side of the call contracts. Either way SOMEONE is naked. The entire options chain is in the money... They desperately need the price of GME to come down, and they also can't hedge at this price because they would need to buy more shares than are traded. So, at this point there's no way they can be hedging their risk (the price action reflects this too.) They're swimming naked and praying that the price falls before Friday.

This may still unwind somehow without everything blowing up. But I don't know how.

Quoted:

Of course GME is over-valued, this is an obvious bubble.  It's interesting and it's fun, but without reddit pumping the price it never would have gone that high, ever.  I hope the folks that eventually lose everything they put into it are fine with it and did it for laughs.  If someone is putting real money on the line for the ride up - well, they should have known better what they were getting into.
View Quote

If I've got something you need so that you don't go out of business, what price are you willing to pay for it?

GME was a bubble initially. It collapsed in on itself black hole style. The higher the price goes, the more desperately some major players need to buy it, which drives the price higher in a positive feedback loop. It's going to keep going up until something systematically breaks.

NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS A GOOD INVESTMENT TO JUMP ON. REGULATORY RISK AND COUNTER-PARTY RISK ARE VERY BIG ISSUES.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Expect SEC to ban retail trading. You won't be able to own stocks except through a mutual fund.
View Quote

Unlikely, more likely they'll work to redefine with the reddit crew did as some kind of manipulation, so the hedgefunds don't have to pay out.  The SEC has clawed back profits before.  If this was me sitting on a few million I'd cash out and wire that money some place unreachable by the SEC with a one way plane ticket.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t know what’s possible here but I figured GameStop would just create a few million shares, sell to the bigs at .01 and fix the whole thing.
I mean, we are in a corrupt, criminal system now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Unlikely, more likely they'll work to redefine with the reddit crew did as some kind of manipulation, so the hedgefunds don't have to pay out.  The SEC has clawed back profits before.  If this was me sitting on a few million I'd cash out and wire that money some place unreachable by the SEC with a one way plane ticket.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:09:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DFV's GME standing goes back over 12 months. This isn't just something that came about out of the blue a couple weeks ago with GME. The his strategy (and risk) has had a great deal of his own research for awhile.
People followed in suit
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No such thing as stop losses on short sales.  They already borrowed the stocks and sold them, now they need to return those stocks, at the market price.  Not Citadel, they funded Melvin, which had a large short position on GME.
View Quote

Got it, this shit has been difficult to navigate through to good info.

I don't do a lot of work with shorting so apologies for the bad term.

Look like Melvin closed out their position this morning.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

DFV's GME standing goes back over 12 months. This isn't just something that came about out of the blue a couple weeks ago with GME. The his strategy (and risk) has had a great deal of his own research for awhile.
People followed in suit
View Quote

You think standing has anything to do with this? The supreme court of the united fucking states shat on "standing" just a few weeks ago. lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You think standing has anything to do with this? The supreme court of the united fucking states shat on "standing" just a few weeks ago. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People followed in suit

Screwing over the little guy, after the little guy has taken it in the ass again and again and the banks always win is best reserved until after they take the guns away.

I'm sure they'll do it anyway, but it's real damned dumb.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Got it, this shit has been difficult to navigate through to good info.

I don't do a lot of work with shorting so apologies for the bad term.

Look like Melvin closed out their position this morning.
View Quote
They claimed they did, the math doesn't support the claim.  More than likely they lied in an attempt to stem the losses.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#34]
is it too late to get in and risk some money?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don’t know what’s possible here but I figured GameStop would just create a few million shares, sell to the bigs at .01 and fix the whole thing.
View Quote

I think AMC has been doing that, and the HOme Depot founder said Gamestop should make a deal with the short sellers to do what you're saying but at $100 per share.  However, I think that opens the company and board up to a shareholder suit for diluting their value.  Gamestop is caught in the middle of an epic pissing match.

Where regulators need to focus is on allowing one hedge fund to fuck with the market so badly.  LTC did the same things in the 90s and required a FED orchestrated bailout to keep from crashing the market.  If anything the people shorting this should lose their ass and their ability to ever do it again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Please God
View Quote

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
So......what online trading houses are you folks using now that several have restricted trades on GME?

Looking at opening an account and dropping about $50K into NOK.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt Melvin has the capital to short it again.  Citadel or Citron, maybe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:25:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So......what online trading houses are you folks using now that several have restricted trades on GME?

View Quote

I'm using robinhood. Other people I know are using webull.

TD Ameritrade and Schwabb apparently weren't letting people make trades on AMC and GME.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#40]
NOK AND NAKD... You are Welcome
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Problem is, GME would be bailing out those who were trying to short it out of existence.  Does management want to do that?  Maybe on balance the extra cash would do more good for them so very possible.  I believe per their current filings though they can only raise $100M, which won't cover all the shorts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the interesting bit that people aren't getting. There was never a short squeeze on GME, there was a gamma squeeze. The short interest is still ~100-140% of float. I think the gamma squeeze trapped Melvin into a short squeeze, and Citadel loaned him money for the margin call so that he wouldn't create a feedback loop trying to unwind it. Then last night it spiked again and outpaced Citadel's ability to hedge. So where we are right now is a stock where (at least) two major firms are badly underwater in their positions, but if they try to unwind their position they go further underwater. No-one is margin calling anyone  because a forced liquidation of anyone blows up everyone. And remember, short losses are infinite. Too big to fail.

The only way out for any of the major names in this saga is to get the price to fall. The only way for the price to fall is for people to sell the stock, since there are no shares left available to short. But the people who own the stock recognize they have the other side of the trade by the balls, and they want their pound of flesh for it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm on webull.  They seem to have the broadest hours available for trading.

https://act.webull.com/nv/3e2z8hUulYFl/edc/inviteUs/
I get a free stock if you join through this link, you don't have to use it.  You will also get several free stocks though.

The only problem I have with webull is not being able to trade OTC stocks.  I plan on opening a TD Ameritrade account for that soon, unless someone has other recommendations.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There's no official disclosure of that. But, back of the envelope, there weren't enough shares of GME sold between yesterday and today for them to have hedged gamma risk, assuming they're the majority of the short side of the call contracts. Either way SOMEONE is naked. The entire options chain is in the money... They desperately need the price of GME to come down, and they also can't hedge at this price because they would need to buy more shares than are traded. So, at this point there's no way they can be hedging their risk (the price action reflects this too.) They're swimming naked and praying that the price falls before Friday.

This may still unwind somehow without everything blowing up. But I don't know how.

If I've got something you need so that you don't go out of business, what price are you willing to pay for it?

GME was a bubble initially. It collapsed in on itself black hole style. The higher the price goes, the more desperately some major players need to buy it, which drives the price higher in a positive feedback loop. It's going to keep going up until something systematically breaks.

NOTE: I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS A GOOD INVESTMENT TO JUMP ON. REGULATORY RISK AND COUNTER-PARTY RISK ARE VERY BIG ISSUES.
View Quote

Who will be without a chair when the music stops, in your opinion?  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's the interesting bit that people aren't getting. There was never a short squeeze on GME, there was a gamma squeeze. The short interest is still ~100-140% of float. I think the gamma squeeze trapped Melvin into a short squeeze, and Citadel loaned him money for the margin call so that he wouldn't create a feedback loop trying to unwind it. Then last night it spiked again and outpaced Citadel's ability to hedge. So where we are right now is a stock where (at least) two major firms are badly underwater in their positions, but if they try to unwind their position they go further underwater. No-one is margin calling anyone  because a forced liquidation of anyone blows up everyone. And remember, short losses are infinite. Too big to fail.

The only way out for any of the major names in this saga is to get the price to fall. The only way for the price to fall is for people to sell the stock, since there are no shares left available to short. But the people who own the stock recognize they have the other side of the trade by the balls, and they want their pound of flesh for it.
View Quote

Think a big part of it would depend on the diamond holders cracking.

If they start getting greedy and unloading stock that will drive the price down
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#46]
So how do we do the silver one?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hence the non-stop news articles about the SEC and White House "watching closely".  They will ramp this up tomorrow and friday, they have to get the hodlers to start selling en mass.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Who will be without a chair when the music stops, in your opinion?  

View Quote

Let's be realistic. Who always gets the short side of the stick?

Quoted:

View Quote

It's an interesting game. But right now you have millions of people who bought a lottery ticket that comes with a side of fucking up a banker's day. As of right now, $340 isn't high enough to tempt people to defect en masse, and I don't think the other side can even afford to pay that much to get out. For once the little guy is the one with the liquidity, and the banker is the one begging for scraps...

I sold off my risk position and now have only profit on the table, so I can hold to zero with very little pain if I choose. I'm playing that through Friday at least. I'm also watching for any dips where I can pick up more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Whats going on? Cliff notes?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Let's be realistic. Who always gets the short side of the stick?

It's an interesting game. But right now you have millions of people who bought a lottery ticket that comes with a side of fucking up a banker's day. As of right now, $340 isn't high enough to tempt people to defect en masse, and I don't think the other side can even afford to pay that much to get out. For once the little guy is the one with the liquidity, and the banker is the one begging for scraps...

I sold off my risk position and now have only profit on the table, so I can hold to zero with very little pain if I choose. I'm playing that through Friday at least.
View Quote

A 134% return in a single day can make folks greedy.

1000% return in a week even more so.

Even if you put 1000 bucks in last week thats 10 grand.

Beyond that I think this is the new Dow 25,000 thread.  
Page / 70
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top