Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 70
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
My Carrot Weather forecast from earlier today.  Carrot is salty.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#2]
new Rossman vid
Gamestop shorts lose billions, get $2 billion bailout, and keep shorting anyway

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Melvin Capital has to have been margin called by now...
View Quote

It's much more exciting than that. At this point, the broker doesn't want to margin call him, because then the short position belongs to the broker and the entire fund wouldn't be able to unwind the short positions. There's not enough shares out there for sale to unwind the position without breaking the backs of everyone that winds up as a counterparty. Also, they're not going to try to cover the shorts after hours when liquidity is even thinner.

From the outside this looks like a silly game, but this has some serious potential to explode things, Lehman style.

I bought in after hours tonight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
How's this for dumbass move of the day

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't ever remember seeing one side of the option chain totally ITM and the other side OTM.  I'm not in GME.  I hope you guys make a killing.

I normally don't mess with pumped up stuff like this, but I am long a few 2/5 calls on BB.
View Quote

Gamestop is not a pump/dump. It's calling over sold shorts. BB and AMC appears a classic pump/dump, likely brought on by the hedgers to cover their Gamestop losses.

not investment advice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
GameStop stock price explosion?
DA Fuq is going on here?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
So couldn’t this turn out bad for the market overall?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Kinda sketchy for a market maker to be lending a fund who is trying to lower a share price by selling short... Melvin won’t be around for the SEC investigation though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does Citadel have another $2.75B to loan Melvin?  If not...Elon just finished the shorts.

Kinda sketchy for a market maker to be lending a fund who is trying to lower a share price by selling short... Melvin won’t be around for the SEC investigation though.

Yeah...they didn't loan him money because they thought he was a good investment risk. That market maker is short a bunch of call options, and likely isn't hedged for this type of exposure. Black swan risk. Citadel bailed him out because if he gets squeezed, Citadel is going to go bankrupt too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Fuck the sec
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Gamestop is not a pump/dump. It's calling over sold shorts. BB and AMC appears a classic pump/dump, likely brought on by the hedgers to cover their Gamestop losses.

not investment advice.
View Quote
BB seems like a pump, but AMC seems plausible.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's much more exciting than that. At this point, the broker doesn't want to margin call him, because then the short position belongs to the broker and the entire fund wouldn't be able to unwind the short positions. There's not enough shares out there for sale to unwind the position without breaking the backs of everyone that winds up as a counterparty. Also, they're not going to try to cover the shorts after hours when liquidity is even thinner.

From the outside this looks like a silly game, but this has some serious potential to explode things, Lehman style.

View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like it could be
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I keep seeing this being said.

Why Friday?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
this dude cash out yet?

The shit doesn't hit the fan till Friday, it will be biblical.

I keep seeing this being said.

Why Friday?

Because on Friday, a whole ton of stock options are going to be in the money, and the market makers need to buy shares to be able to deliver on their obligations. But...no-one is willing to sell.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What's the endgame of this, does this go really high until everyone tries to cash out and the stock price goes to zero?

Or are there other people taking more short positions knowing the stock is way overvalued and has to come down, and continues the cycle?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]
My son sent me a screen shot today, he bought at $88 and sold it at $221. Pretty good days work.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds like it could be
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like it could be

Most likely, even if it gets really spicy, the government will step in, print a bunch of money, and bail everyone out as usual.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fuck the sec
View All Quotes

Supposedly someone has already filed a complaint to the SEC over Melvin manipulating the stock
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to buy 100 shares of AMC tomorrow and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Think we can do that with Vista outdoors?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why amc instead of gme? The short position is 70% lower.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Why amc instead of gme? The short position is 70% lower.
View Quote
Maybe hes fine spending $800 on amc but not $20,000 on gamestop
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Fucking gold line there at 12:03

...for some, the value in a stock might just be, it's potential to make corrupt, naked-short-selling billionaires cry.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Melvin Capital to file bankruptcy as early as next week
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Now we need to find out who is a counterparty risk from their implosion, if that reporting is true.

We already know Citadel and Point72 are on that list.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

or he says he's bankrupt, stock implodes and he buys back, he is clean
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Seeing lots of hype around BB so I’m pushing my AMC earning into that and heading to the moon. Pro gamer move if you do this in your Roth IRA so you don’t have to pay taxes on the gains.

Pure gambling at this point.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Seeing lots of hype around BB so I'm pushing my AMC earning into that and heading to the moon. Pro gamer move if you do this in your Roth IRA so you don't have to pay taxes on the gains.

Pure gambling at this point.
View Quote
Gonna take a lot more to move BB than AMC
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way. I’m doubling down on amc calls first thing tomorrow. It will hit $20 in the next couple weeks if not sooner. ??
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You can buy shares, never messed with options myself.  I got 7 @ $93 for the lolz and as a “fuck you” to Wall St

Shorts will eventually have to buy shares to cover their bad bets which creates a feedback loop causing share price to skyrocket

Holding to $1000+, burn it all down

ETA: got in on AMC and NOK today as well.  2.4 million on autists on r/wallstreetbets have a lot of ammo apparently
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So can you just buy one share or do you have to go the options route to get in?

You can buy shares, never messed with options myself.  I got 7 @ $93 for the lolz and as a “fuck you” to Wall St

Shorts will eventually have to buy shares to cover their bad bets which creates a feedback loop causing share price to skyrocket

Holding to $1000+, burn it all down

ETA: got in on AMC and NOK today as well.  2.4 million on autists on r/wallstreetbets have a lot of ammo apparently

I don't see why the same would happen with those stocks, there isn't near as much of a percentage of their stock being sold short. Isn't that why gamestop went nuts ? Because they sold more shares than the float was ? Not enough available to cover their shorts.

That isn't the same with AMC or NOK. Not even close.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most likely, even if it gets really spicy, the government will step in, print a bunch of money, and bail everyone out as usual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like it could be

Would this really be enough to affect the entire market ? I wouldn't think so.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:27:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like it could be

There are certainly some phone calls being made...

Most likely nothing terribly interesting will happen and this will all calm down relatively soon. The potential for counter-party risk to create a major problem, however, is real. Counter-party risk is why the government bailed everything out in '08, and why they starting buying corporate bonds for COVID.

If the hedge fund can't cover, the obligation to buy the shares to return to investors goes to the brokerages that loaned the shares to the hedge funds. This also has the potential to become a major problem, depending on how high the price gets. Similarly, the market makers have a lot of risk from their options exposure right now, because of their gamma exposure. If one fails, the others are no longer hedged.

Again, I expect if it gets spicy the fed will just whip up another couple trillion and hand it out to everyone except the people buying GME. They'll probably be indicted for terrorism charges and conspiracy to do something or other. But Wall Street will be fine, one way or another. I do like watching them squirm, though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I do like watching them squirm, though.
View Quote

I never thought I'd see the day.  A bunch of autists take down a Wall Street hedge fund.

Their losses are theoretically unlimited.  I feel like this single event could change things going forward.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#32]
The memes that these degenerates put out are pretty hilarious as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/kpuh2u/accurately_predicted_future_of_melvin_and_gme/
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think they're all waiting for the shorts to cover. Then it's a race to cash out I guess.
View Quote
They're doubling down on the shorts for some reason. Now 135% shorts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So can you just buy one share or do you have to go the options route to get in?
View Quote
Most brokers allow you to buy one share if you have the funds in your account. If you screw up and it goes to zero can always request a paper certificate and keep it as a memento lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#35]
AMC is getting it as well. The reddit AMC subreddit is banning people for posting about the stock and not about AMC cars lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:32:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well to be able to short it's not just anybody. They had to show they had reasonable ability to cover the short cost. If they go belly up I would assume (but who the hell knows at this point) a broker would cut them off entirely.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The memes that these degenerates put out are pretty hilarious as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/kpuh2u/accurately_predicted_future_of_melvin_and_gme/
View Quote
I haven't laughed that hard in a while, thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well to be able to short it's not just anybody. They had to show they had reasonable ability to cover the short cost. If they go belly up I would assume (but who the hell knows at this point) a broker would cut them off entirely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like the old saw "If you owe the bank $1m, the bank owns you. If you owe the bank $1b, you own the bank."

How do you unwind a 140% short interest without bankrupting yourself? As the hedgie or as the broker? Citadel didn't loan them $2.75B to double down on a bad bet. They did it because Melvin is too big to fail right now and represents a systemic risk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#39]
If you've got spare money to throw around,  AMC or  BB is going to be next.

I predict AMC tho,  it has more long term potential because its a theater chain and the rumor going around is that Disney doesn't want to keep releasing movies to Disney+ because they're missing revenue from theater/physical options.

AMC was around $30 a share in 2017 or so at peak, so buying in now at  current $10 a share and probably will double by Friday is a good idea.

If you're  new  to investing just sign up for the robinhood app.   No fees or anything to invest, very simple.

AMC will be a long term invest,  or  short, depending on how much profit you see out of it.

They are going to do a similar Gamestop on this next,  its been shorted by hedge funds who thought AMC was going bankrupt but they just secured 200 million in funding,  
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#40]
AMC up 129% before open

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Yeah the price was too low,   basically the market is going to correct on the AMC thing.  It will go up especially with theaters opening back up when COVID panic ends.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#42]
$323 and climbing, pre-open
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Just amazing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
$323 and climbing, pre-open
View Quote

Those $400 predictions don't sound too crazy now. I was happy with the little bit I made getting out at $123 yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
First tweet  2200+ followers in 10 hours

Just when I think this can't get any bigger, it does.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
First tweet  2200+ followers in 10 hours

Just when I think this can't get any bigger, it does.  

View Quote

Actually, fake account. Joined Twitter January 2021
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Melvin Capital is out of their gamestop position as of late yesterday, on CNBC now they are not talking of bankrupcy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 70
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top