BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
she really is.

does she sell NUT COAL now by any chance?
View Quote

Jesus Christ, go sign up for a fucking Jerries kid telethon if it will soothe your asshurt soul and assuage the anguish of window lickers everywhere. Don’t like the dark humor, ignore it. Better yet just get the fuck out and for God’s sake, stay off of any other social media that might offend your delicate sensibilities.
Furthermore, if you do slink off to your fucking safe space, be sure to drink bleach to stay hydrated. Holy fuck, if grass were dicks you’d drag your ass across a field. That is literally how fucking gay you’re being about this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Those are easy, IMO. Cutch only for starting and stopping. Shifting and splitting is easy once you get the rythm. I never understood how some guys could never get it. Too easily flustered, I guess.....
View Quote

I was a mechanic for the INDOT in 80s, had to be able to drive everything. Tandem dump trucks were mostly manuals, as was every car and truck I owned.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My old neighbor owns a trucking company and he gave me a quick lesson one night when he had a tractor at the house.  I have been pulling trailers all my life and had a 40' gooseneck trailer so that part was simple.  Once you get it going at a decent speed shifting was ok though I was pretty slow, but trying to shift without using the clutch at slow speeds while not losing your momentum was challenging but with some practice would be fine.  I feel confident I could get in one now and make it to my destination in flat Texas.   Now with 80K pounds while it is snowing in the rocky mountains would be a different story.  lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Only the yellow if bobtail......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have to push the big yellow and big red buttons before you can go anywhere. After that, it's pretty self explanatory.

Only the yellow if bobtail......

True enough.
But most folks don't understand air brakes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
if someone knows nothing about a truck. forget the shifting, they'd have to figure out the air brakes first.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
The thing many dont know about big trucks is you can't just "force it" into gear.  You push the clutch in and try as hard as you want to ram it into gear....it wont go until the tranny speed and motor RPM match the speed you are going.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It’s nothing like a standard car. Besides the pattern, you need to either double clutch or know how to float gears. It generally takes our new drivers a few weeks to choose the right gear at the right time without just constant grinding. Is it impossible to pick it up within minutes, no. But if I took you out in a Eaton 10 speed you would grind the gears for the first solid hour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about someone who has a crapload (like 30 years) driving manual transmission vehicles daily?

Never driven a semi, have driven large straight trucks, manual 4x4s and various construction equipment (smaller backhoes, skidsteers, forklifts etc). Have also driven vehicles with trailers.

It’s nothing like a standard car. Besides the pattern, you need to either double clutch or know how to float gears. It generally takes our new drivers a few weeks to choose the right gear at the right time without just constant grinding. Is it impossible to pick it up within minutes, no. But if I took you out in a Eaton 10 speed you would grind the gears for the first solid hour.

I have owned a few old manual cars (non syncro) and drove a car around for a while with no clutch (letting it stall at lights, starting in gear and floating gears).
Not saying I could do it but would love to try.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What about someone who has a crapload (like 30 years) of experience driving manual transmission vehicles daily?

Never driven a semi, have driven large straight trucks, manual 4x4s and various construction equipment (smaller backhoes, skidsteers, forklifts etc). Have also driven vehicles with trailers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not too bad, if they know to push the brake buttons in. Are they going to drive a manual truck decent? Nope.

What about someone who has a crapload (like 30 years) of experience driving manual transmission vehicles daily?

Shouldn't be too bad. Hardest part is figuring out the RPM drop between gears. Its like 600 rpm, depends if you are splitting the gears. Most people try to shift too fast. It's easier shifting without the clutch than double clutching, just feather the shifter into each gear after you let off the accelerator, then roll back onto the accelerator once it clicks into gear.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If it is manual not a chance in hell. If it is an automatic, and not hooked to a trailer, it might take you a minute but you'll get it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And just start it up and take off? I mean, is it something an average joe with no experience in a big rig can do?

If there were a shtf situation and my only option was a big rig, is it something I would be able just hop in and drive off?
View Quote

If you are bobtailing and the truck has an automatic, probably most people....A 9 speed Fuller and a 53 foot box on the back...

Ahh, no.

ETA: I have a Class A CDL and have had it for 24 years or so....Don't use it, but I kept it active w/health card.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Cool video.

I think I could do it after a few miles after watching this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Floating gears is an art I learned on a 13 speed in an old dump truck. Once you get you still have a bad day every once and awhile but you don't forget.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Many years ago my brother, his friend and myself left the bar to find a running beer truck blocking us into our parking spot. We waited a while for the driver to come back out but got tired of waiting pretty quickly. I checked the door and it was unlocked so I hopped in and pulled it forward about 3 or 4 car lengths so we could get out. I had ridden in trucks so knew about the brake lock. Reset the brakes when I parked it. I wondered if the driver even noticed when he got back to his truck.

My brother and his friend could not believe that I did it and wanted to know why I did not keep driving. We could have had free beer for weeks! Or more likely trashed a bunch of cars out and gone to jail. We still joke about it occasionally.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Bobtail in an automatic would be pretty easy for most people if they looked around the cab for a minute.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#17]
A little more about the johnny bar. As I mentioned, it is an independant trailer service brake. It is a lever on the steerin wheel column. It only applies the trailer brakes. I drove a frameless dump trailer. I would engage the johnny bar while dumping. It would hold the trailer still and pull the tractor backwards towards the trailer as the dump trailer went up in the air.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about someone who has a crapload (like 30 years) driving manual transmission vehicles daily?

about all i've ever owned are manuals. never driven an 18 wheeler. i can float the gears though in a manual as long as the gearbox is fairly sound. i have a fiesta st and i can float the gears up and down. i have a old subie wrx and that tranny has often been described as a shifter stuck i a box of rocks. i can and do often double clutch both cars. its sorta fun.

floating gears is sorta cool once you get the hang of it but i dont think its good for the tranny if it wasnt designed for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A little more about the johnny bar. As I mentioned, it is an independant trailer service brake. It is a lever on the steerin wheel column. It only applies the trailer brakes. I drove a frameless dump trailer. I would engage the johnny bar while dumping. It would hold the trailer still and pull the tractor backwards towards the trailer as the dump trailer went up in the air.....
View Quote

Yeah, used a lot with wet line applications.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

about all i've ever owned are manuals. never driven an 18 wheeler. i can float the gears though in a manual as long as the gearbox is fairly sound. i have a fiesta st and i can float the gears up and down. i have a old subie wrx and that tranny has often been described as a shifter stuck i a box of rocks. i can and do often double clutch both cars. its sorta fun.

floating gears is sorta cool once you get the hang of it but i dont think its good for the tranny if it wasnt designed for it.
View Quote

I have a 5 speed Mustang, and I rarely use the clutch except at stop lights, etc....Drove it today in fact.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Most people’s first time in a “big” vehicle is jumping into a regular cab 8ft bed f150 at my pest control company.

They hit anything and everything.

Most of the time are scared shitless and freak out if they don’t have a rear view mirror.  

A decent majority of the population possesses neither the mental acumen, nor anything warmer than a room temperature IQ, before they would “stress out” and go into full shutdown.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have a 5 speed Mustang, and I rarely use the clutch except at stop lights, etc....Drove it today in fact.
View Quote

Big truck trans has no synchronizers it ain't the same
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't forget the air brake release.
View Quote

That's the yellow button, right?
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That Mack was a 2 stick, even harder to drive...
View Quote

Duplex..You have to change range and gear at the same time. If not successful, you have to stop and start over again. I have been driving for nearly 30 years. Duplex, flat back Mack, screws, drop axle and peanut internationals , double and triples.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
It's a ten speed, a five speed times two. Besides there's no way we're wrecking this one. This is a BEER truck!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I was a driver about 40 years ago. I drove test vehicles on roads and tracks up to and including big rigs. We had very little training, but I think I did pretty well. Only one accident and that was about three o'clock one morning when I hit a drunk head on. He was northbound in my southbound lane with no lights on.

For the most part it went very well.

For a while it was this:

The Willis Brothers - Give Me 40 Acres To Turn This Rig Around 1964
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's the yellow button, right?
View Quote

Yeah, for the tractor. Red for trailer. It relaese the spring brakes by applying air pressure in one chamber to hold the srings back. The service brakes apply pressure in the other chamber to apply the brakes.........
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember running about 80 with a 544 loader on a lowboy, looking down and realizing I had another range on the trans.
That 855 bigcam would run.
I normally didn't run that truck, just had to get that loader to a stuck truck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Going up is easy

Coming back down not so
much

Maybe you can luck in to an automatic OP
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#30]
If you're just starting to learn I think the proper method would be to double clutch your shifts rather than trying to float gears right off the bat.  I try to double clutch most of my upshifts unless I'm being lazy.  I almost always have to float gears when engine braking, one foot on brake, one on throttle when coming to a stop.  It takes some practice to kind of just know what gear you need to shoot for at what speed.  A 13 or 18 speed makes things a little trickier since you're dealing with a splitter and unless you're loaded just don't bother trying to use it for a while.

One piece of advise I'd also mention is you have to slow yourself down mentally.  You're not in your car or pickup anymore and can't dart in and out of traffic.  Don't worry you're not accelerating to the speed limit immediately.  The people behind you will just have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
The first time I drove a van with the driver's seat forward of the wheels, I just about took out a street sign coming out of the parking lot from over steer.

Are there any cab-over semis left on the road?  Because I think that might fuck up some people, never mind the manual transmission.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When I was ten years old I decided I was going to go for a drive in my grandmothers car, which had a three on the tree manual transmission.  I grabbed the keys and hopped in, and thinking it was in park turned the key trying to start it.  The car kept lurching forward since it was in gear, I did this about three times before my dad came out and yelled at me to get out  

I don't even think I got in trouble, but this is kind of how I picture the OPs plan going in SHTF

Also, in SHTF, don't drive a vehicle that gets like 6 mpg

View Quote

when i was little my mom would let me go out and start the car on cold days.....manual hyundai.....i had no idea what the transmission was, i was in third grade or thereabouts....
pushed the clutch in, turned the key and let it out......step dad had left it in gear and me and the car went straight through the garage door
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty easy, particularly if they have semi-automatic transmissions.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your trans is worn out and sloppy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#35]
You realize you don't just start it and go?
No air pressure = locked brakes.
Air pressure = time idling, can't rush it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Pretty easy, particularly if they have semi-automatic transmissions.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#37]
My first time ever in a tractor I pulled a 16x70 trailer house from Alpine Tx to Midland Tx .  
If you grew up working in the Oil field you drove lost of types of trucks.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Remember to take the corners wide and don't curb the tandems.  Other than that, the new autos are easy peasy.  I miss my ol T680.  That sucker was COMFY!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Johnny Bar was vital when driving in the mountains with ice and snow. I started on 4 x 4 and 5 x 4, before Eaton Road Rangers were a thing. You might be able to figure out the modern transmissions fairly easily, but if it is an old truck, you would have a very tough time. The old "Brownie" transmissions were much more difficult to learn.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#40]
To just drive it away?
Get in, start it, let it run until the yellow and red knobs stay in, grind some gears, get rolling.  You'll figure it out eventually.
To drive it well, safely, and profitably is another matter.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Depends on the truck. A recent/modern truck? Probably not that difficult. Most of them are autos now. As long as you know how to turn off the air brakes, you should be ok.

A truck like mine?

Good luck.

Or a previous truck, which I couldn't even master

Driving the B81SX Dump Truck

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The first time I drove a van with the driver's seat forward of the wheels, I just about took out a street sign coming out of the parking lot from over steer.

Are there any cab-over semis left on the road?  Because I think that might fuck up some people, never mind the manual transmission.

View Quote

First van I ever drove was a VW bus (you are the crumple zone).
That was kinda weird.
Also drove a Toyota van (one of the wedge shaped ones) and several Kei trucks (RHD was an adjustment period, especially since I was driving them on what amounted to sidewalks)

Forklifts are also weird the first few times (rear wheels steer)
Skidsteers seemed pretty easy.

Almost got to drive a Model T but he never got it back together (neighbor had one and offered to let me take it for a spin once he had it up and running).
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Gimme $5k and you can have mine.*

*been sitting almost a year, don't come bitching to me when the wheel seals start leaking. Or the air compressor goes....
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Big truck trans has no synchronizers it ain't the same
View Quote

Thanks for the tip....

You didn't read the post a couple above that one...I have a Class A CDL and I have had it active for 24 years.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:37:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been driving for 15 years and occasionally grind from not paying attention or drive a different truck, they are not all the same.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Your trans is worn out and sloppy.
View Quote

No, it's not but I appreciate the maintenance diagnosis.

It's not hard to drive a regular manual without a clutch if you have a feel for it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've been driving for 15 years and occasionally grind from not paying attention.
View Quote

We have two of the same truck at my house (one 2wd manual, one 4x4 auto). Occasionally I forget what truck I am in and either go looking for a nonexistent clutch or forget to push a clutch in when coming to a stop.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We have two of the same truck at my house (one 2wd manual, one 4x4 auto). Occasionally I forget what truck I am in and either go looking for a nonexistent clutch or forget to push a clutch in when coming to a stop.

View Quote

When I have to rent and all they have is an auto I always reach for the shifter out of habit, it's like what are you doing?! LOL!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Gimme $5k and you can have mine.*

*been sitting almost a year, don't come bitching to me when the wheel seals start leaking. Or the air compressor goes....
View Quote
Whatcha got? I'm looking for a backup truck
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Big difference between automatic and automated. Most new trucks are automated meaning that they still have somewhat of a traditional gearbox but have computer controlled shifting. Automatics are like what is in you car. A few semis have those in them, torque converter and all. Either way you have to let the air pressure build up and then you can shift the truck into gear because most of the automated work on air pressure. Either way foot on brake to select gear in truck. Manual transmission, have fun. Just like pickup but don’t use clutch except for take off and stopping.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top