Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The one neighbor I haven't met is a recluse with all sorts of "you trespass and I'll kill you signs" on the way up to his house. I'm cool with that.
View Quote

Yeah, that's him.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same for Calhoun. They had a billboard that said 36 is illegal.
View Quote

Can't count the number of times I've flown through there on my bike. Maybe the cops were at the donut shop?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The one neighbor I haven't met is a recluse with all sorts of "you trespass and I'll kill you signs" on the way up to his house. I'm cool with that.
View Quote

I won't mention the name of the road but my friend lives down the street from there. I told her I'm tempted to test his sign.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My relatives in TN hate the Floridians who are moving in and buying up property.
View Quote

We like cool motherfuckers like PDM

Savvy?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#5]
@pdm

Check your pm's.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can't count the number of times I've flown through there on my bike. Maybe the cops were at the donut shop?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for Calhoun. They had a billboard that said 36 is illegal.

There AND up 411. I think I have only ever seen one cop in that area, and he was arresting a drunk in a gas station parking lot
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's a good read. They took the Brits and Ferguson and pushed their shit, prison style. Arguably this battle was a critical pivot point in winning the war.
View Quote

King's Mountain and Cowpens destroyed the flank guards for Cornwallis.  Collectively over 2,000 men lost with nothing to show for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There AND up 411. I think I have only ever seen one cop in that area, and he was arresting a drunk in a gas station parking lot
View Quote

I've never seen a cop in Reliance in my entire life. I'm sure they've been there, I've just not seen one.

I'd also bet it'd take 30 minutes for a county deputy to make it there. Maybe more.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I took my female friend out riding today. She lives between Reliance & Greasy Creek, off of Hwy 30. (Does TN have cool city names or what?)

For those whom have never seen this area or perhaps wonder what it's like there, I took some pics as we meandered through the Cherokee National Forest. We basically took Lost Creek Road into the CNF & just kept going. There's a Lost Creek Campground in the CNF for those who'd like to mapquest it, see where it is. It's in the middle of fucking nowhere, is where it is.  

As I worked these pics in post-production, it dawned on me that there's not a single road, house or building showing ANYWHERE in any of these pics. In a couple you can see some powerlines running from the Hiwassee Power House to (I think) Ducktown area (again, cool name!). Aside from that, bupkiss for human existence. We passed exactly ONE car all day long once we entered the CNF until we left. We travelled something like 35-40 miles total inside the forest, doing mostly 10-12mph due to rough roads & snow on the upper levels. The isolation is hard to describe, one has to experience it to understand it.

There's also hiking trails all over the place, for those interested. The forest roads would also be good for mountain bikes as there's minimal traffic. The Lost Creek campground does have bathrooms but I don't believe has showers, electric or sewer. I saw 5-6 vehicles as we drove past but didn't stop to look.

We did see a couple of real estate "for sale" signs. No clue as to acreage or price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
We ended up driving in a bit of snow/ice as shown on the mountain. No guardrails meant we tip toed along the road.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats, pdm!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully going to be headed that way in a year or two to check things out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Yup, beautiful area.

The property I'm buying is right at the top of the mountain, military crest maybe 200 yards down from the ridge. I have one more neighbor up the road but he's on the same contour line and maybe 1/2 mile away. The CNF is at the north edge of my property so my "backyard" is about 650,000 sq acres

Just had the cabin inspected and it came back fine with exception of some recommendations for some grading improvements on the uphill side which I kind of figured when I looked at the property. The well came in at about 10 GPM and the water is sweet.  I'm having it tested but honestly it's some good tasting water. I'm hoping that the metals aren't too high.

Other than that the closing is moving right along. Looking forward to getting up there and settling in. I'll still keep the place down here on the beach but TN will become my primary residence I believe.  Drunks on the beach have become tiresome. Just had a neighbor call the cops on a guy 2 nights ago who was trying door handles at 0300 in the morning. Turns out he was so shit faced he couldn't remember where he lived.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Totally digging this thread.  

Looks like the lower adirondack mountains near me but without the NY bullshit and the swarms of citiot visitors.

Man could go nuts squirrel hunting those hills.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks like the lower adirondack mountains near me but without the NY bullshit and the swarms of citiot visitors.

View Quote

We are overrun with squirrels, my Beagle has a stroke every time I let him out of the fence.

My Llewellin Setter catches them running across the yard.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There’s another thread about eastern TN that also good gouge. If you haven’t seen it you should check it out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top