User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

^^^ This is actionable advice.

You want a SSB capable HF receiver. This will let you listen on HF and hear stations nationally.

Both of the above units are GTG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You want a SSB capable HF receiver. This will let you listen on HF and hear stations nationally.

I assume a long antenna is still required to get distant/weak signals? Can you still run a 30+' wire into these handheld units?

For this purpose, I'm not sure I need anything particularly mobile, but battery power is still a plus. What is the best option for not only getting weak signals, but also scanning through them quickly? I assume there are thousands of channel possiblities?

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]
OST
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a good link for "radio's for dummies"?

I'm a radio dummy.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What radio would I want in the event of a power grid failure scenario? Say there's no power for weeks (like after a hurricane for instance) able to broadcast 5 or so miles?
View Quote

For local-5 mile comms, you need 2m/70cm.  VHF/UHF.  Tech level (entry) ticket.  

Depending on terrain, hand-held (HT) will get you there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#5]
What freqs are gtg for info these days ?

I own an IC 706 but doesn't seem to transmit anymore , I need to dig out my old 756 and try it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I assume a long antenna is still required to get distant/weak signals? Can you still run a 30+' wire into these handheld units?

For this purpose, I'm not sure I need anything particularly mobile, but battery power is still a plus. What is the best option for not only getting weak signals, but also scanning through them quickly? I assume there are thousands of channel possiblities?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CountyComm has one on their website that is designed to coil up.  

https://countycomm.com/collections/radio/products/shortwave-coil-up-antenna
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#7]
As @Ben knows, there are a lot of different ways to get alternate comms. For short range, intra-team comms, handhelds are fine but they don't reach very far usually. Also, it might be advantageous to get an itinerant license to allow you to use encryption that the ham bands don't allow. It's also possible to fairly inexpensively set up a poor-man's repeater using two Baofengs and an interface cable.

But, for longer range communications, you need HF radios. I have one of the Yaesu FT-891 radios mentioned myself. I have it mounted in a lightweight 4U rack that I can grab and go with that has a power supply, battery, tuner, and digital interface all right there. I also have a Yaesu ft-991A that does HF, VHF, and UHF and comes with a built-in digital interface for your computer. Other folks like the HF-only Icom 7300. I also have one of the older Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF radios that I use in the Jeep with a Comet UHV-6 mobile antenna. I also have a digital interface for it to use with a laptop. BTW, I also have a Xeigu CS-108G+ that only puts out 20 watts. With that and that Comet UHV-6, I was able to talk from the south side of Puerto Rico to a guy on the outskirts of Atlanta while rolling down the highway. If you get any of these HF radios, make sure to get the MARS mod done on it in case you decide you want to participate in MARS or SHARES in the future. There are already groups that have been practicing regular across-the-country nets on HF, including Arfcom.

Long wire antennas and 100 watts of HF power will let you talk pretty well. But, when conditions are poor, certain digital modes like JS8Call are much better because they can pick out weaker signals via software. There's also programs like Winlink that lets you send e-mails via HF. Programs like FLdigi will let you communicate via dozens of different digital modes like the Olivia one we use on the Wednesday night Arfcom digital net.

Another suggestion I have is to make yourself a way to operate solely on battery and solar power. There have been many times when I haven't had good access to power, particularly when operating out in the middle of nowhere. I've got some folding solar panels, a solar charge controller, and LiFePO4 batteries that I can run 24/7 on my radios if I need to. (I can't run 24/7 for very long myself but my radios can.). If the communists decide to start playing games with the power grid, you need to be able to figure out what's going on and the only way to do that is to be able to run your radios some other way.

Also, I have one of these:
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

That lets me listen to everything from 10kHz to 2Ghz but only in chunks. Does great with the HF bands if you have a decent antenna hooked to it. But it's receive only. Pretty inexpensive, but functional. It's also really portable.

Also last thing I got from MTCradio.com said they had FT-891 "B-stock" (ie factory refurbs) for $528 but they may have sold out of them by now. You can also probably get a decent used one for about that price or less.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Icom 718 is not a bad little HF radio and can be had for $600.  It will get the job done.  I am an Extra and a VE.
View Quote

I was going to say IC 718. Or even a more simple older radio if there is one.

Watched a video on the IC 7300.
It's complicated.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've heard for years now that comms are an important component of being prepared. Question: who am I supposed to talk to? I'm just a guy that goes to work and comes home every evening and spends the weekends working in the garage or going for a motorcycle ride. If things get so bad that I need a radio I suppose my wife and kids and I will stay home/together, whichever is appropriate. I don't know anyone that would be able to call in an air strike, or get supplies to whatever my location is, and no one is going to send any reinforcements to help prevent my position from being overrun. So tell a noob what these radios are going to be used for please.
View Quote

John has a long mustache...
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag

My only fear is they would sit in the closet with the dozens and dozens of other stuff I've bought in similar threads
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

About the only option for HF that is able to be taken out in the rain...

Lab599
View Quote

Ohh...  I like that.  I've been looking at QRP/Backpack kits for a while, never came across this however.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Licensed?  Are you kidding me?
View Quote

Someone else mentioned that it gives you the advantage of being able to practice legally and without HAM Fudds trying to triangulate you for cramping their style...until you're no longer able to do it legally anyway.  When that day comes, they know exactly where the people with the nice antennas live, because you already registered.  Just like with guns.  I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it.  Plus, again, not many people have time to learn to do this right.  Quick and dirty seems more appropriate to buy time to "maybe" do it right eventually if truly necessary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#13]
What's the point?  I don't understand how radio communication would benefit in any way.  

Perhaps someone might explain?  Once one understands the purpose and use it would be much easier to explore hardware and skilset requirements.

I can easily see how communications can make folks into targets.  Tracking communications is the primary way we catch "bad guys" right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Licensed since 1984 General class here.
Everyone needs to be licensed soon.

And with all due respect.  Us Neanderthal non radio people cannot wrap our heads around asking a government that is actively working against us for a license to use something

Well even if you choose to be a lawbreaker you might as well study the materials to learn principles and practice of RF operation and engineering.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lab599
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a budget of about $2-3K for all necessary components including the antenna.

I hate making decisions under these circumstances though.  Hasty buying decisions have usually left me with a fair amount of regret.

Lab599

Thanks for the recommendation Ben.  However, that link was blocked by my malwarebytes extension.

edit:  Found the transceiver on hamradio.com.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the point?  I don't understand how radio communication would benefit in any way.  

Perhaps someone might explain?  Once one understands the purpose and use it would be much easier to explore hardware and skilset requirements.

I can easily see how communications can make folks into targets.  Tracking communications is the primary way we catch "bad guys" right?
View Quote

Stepping back from the big iglo question for a second and just look at the SHTF scenario.

If you look at the recent TN issue, cell service dropped for a tiny area.  Imagine if it was regional.  All of the east coast drops comms.  Suddenly just being about to receive comms and infor becomes very helpful.  Ham and HF require zero infrastructure.  Telephone, internet, cell and even your local FM radio stations rely on IP networks.

The single most important tool in any SHTF situation is information.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Someone else mentioned that it gives you the advantage of being able to practice legally and without HAM Fudds trying to triangulate you for cramping their style...until you're no longer able to do it legally anyway.  When that day comes, they know exactly where the people with the nice antennas live, because you already registered.  Just like with guns.  I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it.  Plus, again, not many people have time to learn to do this right.  Quick and dirty seems more appropriate to buy time to "maybe" do it right eventually if truly necessary.
View Quote

This is like deciding to learn how to shoot after the shit hits the fan.  You should save your money, and I don't mean to be a dick by saying that.  HF is not plug and play and without spending some time on it, it's really not worth messing with.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this
View Quote

same here. I have two baeofangs sitting here never used. sounds like theyre junk anyway
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If they wanted to, could the gov. jam the signals?
View Quote

Of course.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:41:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

They will work with the whip, but a long wire will help. Use an alligator clip or just twist it around the whip.

The recievers in this class of radio expect a weaker signal so you don't need to overkill the antenna size. Being farther away from noise is more important than length imo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both units have both an attached antenna as well as an antenna input jack for wire antennas. Both units run on batteries and have auto scan features. The PL-660 is much more capable in navigating channels, but it is also larger and a bit less portable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

same here. I have two baeofangs sitting here never used. sounds like theyre junk anyway
View Quote

They are not junk. I have two on right now listening in on the local police department and sheriffs department.  A few friends who live within a few miles each have a radio and we shoot the shit on them all the time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Okay, on the "receiver only" side, now we're talking.  Can someone describe what the $400 or $1050 receiver can do that the $100 SSB shortwave radio can't?
View Quote

They have a more sensitive receiver and many more filters and settings allowing you to better tune in weak stations and filter noise.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have often said that everyone should have at a minimum an transistor AM (AM broadcast band) receiver.
AM broadcast stations typically cover a larger area, and at night the band goes long and stations can be
heard over quite long distances.

High frequency, AKA Shortwave receivers are a step up from AM BCD receivers offering more
bands and typically the ability to listen to stations a longer distance away (foreign broadcast etc.)
The ability to receive Single Side Band (SSB or LSB/USB) will open up more stations you can listen to.

When it comes to HF/SW receiving the antenna if extremely important to the performance.
A short inside antenna will give very poor performance, while piece of wire (50-100 feet)
connected up outside (one end tied up to a tree etc) will vastly improve performance.

Transmitting on HF is on a whole new level for most, and having properly built antennas etc. are a
requirement (most modern radios either will not transmit or can be damaged with a improper antenna).
For the most part I will say don't even waste your time with a radio under 100 watts.
(yes many hams can work the world with a watt or less bit that comes with experience and proper modes)

One radio that is often overlooked is the lowly CB, but for many it is actually a great choice; with a simple antenna
they can have a range of 10-20 miles or more with a good antenna and if the antenna is in a good spot.
(I would say for many these would be better than a baofeng type of radio).

Like anything practice is key, and while many say they are unconcerned with getting a license
it to your advantage to get one since it gives you an opportunity to practice using the radios.
(Trying to figure out how radio works is best done long before you need to actually use it.)

View Quote

good post, thanks Harry
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quick and dirty seems more appropriate to buy time to "maybe" do it right eventually if truly necessary.
View Quote

Licensing aside, there is no "quick and dirty" to HF comms. I could sit you down in front of $3k worth of gear set up and ready to go and you'd get exactly nowhere.

Not trying to be a dick or discouraging, but anyone looking to get into this needs to understand there is a learning curve. it ain't hard, but you're not going to figure it out in a weekend.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:53:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ohh...  I like that.  I've been looking at QRP/Backpack kits for a while, never came across this however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lab599

I think I'm going to buy one of those.  What else do I need for it?  Antennae, Power?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have a nice UHF/VHF setup I bought new for 600
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$600?????

I have a nice UHF/VHF setup I bought new for 600

HF.  The laughing is for HF.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:56:21 AM EDT
[#29]

I just grabbed one of those CC handhelds.  Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think I'm going to buy one of those.  What else do I need for it?  Antennae, Power?
View Quote

You'll also need an antenna tuner.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just added this one to my Amazon cart.  Is that appropriate?

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Sometimes things like this, in places where things like this have been necessary, have happened in a disconnected, autonomous, cellular and only loosely connected fashion. Everybody can't, or even shouldn't, be communications heavy.  

Someday, sometimes, somewhere that HF radio and antenna is just something for the police, or government paramilitaries or army to look for when they are doing sweeps and kicking doors.

Can't be an individual, but even the IRA ditched "brigades" outside of Armagh.

Shit, this ain't an organization, it's just an idea.

You ain't necessarily gotta have an HF radio if a teammate does.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B07T6LXNTV
View Quote

That's a vector network analyzer. It's used to characterize antennas, not tune them. You're looking for something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/LDG-Electronics-Z-817-Automatic-Memories/dp/B00K5ZSGHY/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=antenna+tuner&qid=1610168960&sr=8-8
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:13:49 AM EDT
[#34]
We need an Arfcom numbers station.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We need an Arfcom numbers station.
View Quote

8 7 8 7 8 7 8 7 8 7....
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is like deciding to learn how to shoot after the shit hits the fan.  You should save your money, and I don't mean to be a dick by saying that.  HF is not plug and play and without spending some time on it, it's really not worth messing with.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense. There are ham clubs and there is an Arfcom ham forum that is exceptionally helpful, especially to new hams. While HF isn't plug and play, it isn't rocket surgery either. Further, there are plenty of on-line sites like https://hamstudy.org that has helpful study guides and practice tests for the various levels of amateur radio license exams. You can also learn a lot from looking them over. There's some downloadable pdfs that have some good info. I think there's one from the USMC and one from the Army about how HF works, how to make a field-expedient antenna, what are the best frequencies for the time of day and time of year you're working with, etc.

ETA: Found the USMC one: USMC Radio Operators Handbook Note: no crayons required.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they wanted to, could the gov. jam the signals?

Of course.

Not all of them, not all at once, and not all across the country.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:23:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a Vector Network Analyzer, not an antenna tuner. A VNA can be used to determine some of the parameters and efficiency of whatever antenna you're trying to optimize.

An antenna tuner is something like this: MFJ-939Y Antenna tuner that helps match your antenna to what the radio is expecting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:29:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's a vector network analyzer. It's used to characterize antennas, not tune them. You're looking for something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/LDG-Electronics-Z-817-Automatic-Memories/dp/B00K5ZSGHY/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=antenna+tuner&qid=1610168960&sr=8-8
View Quote

@jhov

Thanks.

That radio is only a 10W output, is that enough or should I just deal with the weight of the Icom IC-705, which has a nice backpack setup already and has functions like bluetooth, lan connectivity, etc.  Both radios have some of the same features, similar wattage, etc, but I'm completely unfamiliar with that little LAB599 TX-500 radio.  Not sure what I'm giving up to have something so small.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck

Coming from you that’s serious as cancer
View Quote

That was my reaction too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I’m sure it’s been said, you guys that all ran out and bought UV5R’s and just threw them in a box or have them hanging one your gear looking cool......your fucked if your not using them and learning how to program them. And in an emergency with everything else happening you might as well be holding a rock because it’ll be useless to you.

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:37:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Ok where’s the links to buy?
$100? $200?
ETA: lol you guys are talking thousands
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:38:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Does these small type of radios work for listening?

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Any recommendations on the easiest  transceiver for listening purposes only? Been mulling this over, and all I will ever likely care about is listening. But, I like the idea of having the ability to take that step into transmission in the future.

I don't have the ability to dive into this headfirst right now. But I'd love something that would allow me to easily scan the airways in the meantime. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#45]
There's some really interesting information in this thread.  For the HAM's that are chiming in, you guys are doing great until you start in with the acronyms, then you're going right over people's heads.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#46]
So for a moron like myself who only has uhf hand helds and marine radios along with cb radios, in a shtf moment who the hell am I going to talk to?

I assume we are all assuming cell and data transmission is down along with internet and hard line phones?

Are we also out of gas and electricity and digging up our guns to bug out?  What is the Scenario that would be playing out where it would be necessary for me to communicate via high frequency radio?
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:55:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Beofangs are cheep VHS/UHS redios.  They tend to be a bit harder to program than better units.  The main issue is VHS/UHS has a fairly short range without using repeaters.  Sometimes not much better than old school kids walkie talkies.  The problem is 3 fold.  First, handhelds usually have tiny antennas - so there is some range to be had with upgrading that.  The second issue is that their antenna are essentially only about 5' above the earth.  VHS/UHS are line of sight.  Even with a better gain antenna, LOS from 5' is shit.  Put the antenna on a mast or tower, and it gets better.  Talk to another on a mast or tower - well maybe you will get to the point the power is an issue.  That is why repeaters help - a repeater 300' on a tower will help range, on a mountain top - a LOT.

Now if you go to a mobile unit, you go from 5 watts to 100 watts.  If you are talking to a tower, you might get some actual decent range (especially if you are connected to an antenna on a mast.  But if you want real range, you have to go to HF, as it will reflect off the ionosphere and los goes away-sometimes.  But that is the hobby of HF - atmospheric conditions are everything.

---
the phrases VHF/UHF/HF refer the wavelengths of the radio waves.  UHF is .1-1m (maybe), VHF is 1m-10m.  HF is 10m-100m.  Of course the larger the wavelength in general the bigger the antenna is necessary to be efficient.  Wavelengths have harmonics.  So while you don't need a 10m antenna to use that wavelength, something 1/4 wave or 1/2 wave can work (abet probably not as efficiently).  Now all the wavelengths are not used, so iirc the bands used in VHF/UHF are like 30cm, 70cm, 1m, and 1.25m.  Without looking it up, I honestly don't recall if 6m is HF or VHF - but 6m can reflect on the ionosphere (but is generally not available on handhelds).  I suspect some mobiles can do 6m and some even 10m, but more often than not VHF/UHF radios do not do HF bands (and most HF do not do VHF/UHF).  I suspect it is a combination of really needing separate antenna and probably separate electronics as well - the few that do, price goes up, and they generally don't do either as well as dedicated units.

My mobile unit is a do everything - simply because it can double as a base unit.  My desktop unit is HF only.  They also make a few higher end desktop VHF/UHF radios - but those are not all that cheep.  I think it is far more common for people just to use a moderately priced mobile for that job, and a better HF radio.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Any recommendations on the easiest  transceiver for listening purposes only? Been mulling this over, and all I will ever likely care about is listening. But, I like the idea of having the ability to take that step into transmission in the future.

I don't have the ability to dive into this headfirst right now. But I'd love something that would allow me to easily scan the airways in the meantime. Any thoughts?
View Quote

The CountryComm GP-5 listed above is listen only, well reviewed and under $100 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Many HF transceivers come with built-in antenna tuners, like the IC-7300.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 2:06:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The CountryComm GP-5 listed above is listen only, well reviewed and under $100 shipped.
View Quote

I'm probably screwing up terminology. I'm wondering if there is a unit capable of transmission, that is user friendly for listening purposes. Basically something that I can easily use as a normal receiver for now, but also use to communicate if/when I ever decide to take that step.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top