Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Use case is really what this comes down to. People here planning on using these to watch their livestock, hunt, camp, etc...all good. And 9 out of 10 times they'd give an advantage over 2 legged adversaries as well. Just because everyone on Arfcom owns 10 PVS-14 tubes doesn't make it normal in the real world.
View Quote

Not a damn thing about Arfcom is normal in the real world

But....
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#2]
People don’t think IR light discipline be like it is. But it do
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
People don’t think IR light discipline be like it is. But it do
View Quote

Yeah, but I've witnessed enough night shoots at the range to know that once the shooting starts it looks like the surface of the sun and light sabers coming from all directions.

It's the creeping around BEFORE the shooting starts where the analogs will pay off.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, but I've witnessed enough night shoots at the range to know that once the shooting starts it looks like the surface of the sun and light sabers coming from all directions.

It's the creeping around BEFORE the shooting starts where the analogs will pay off.
View Quote

Using these cheap binos without IR illumination in conjunction with an ATN scope would give someone with poor IR discipline a real surprise, even those with a pvs14. Overconfidence can bite people in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm 41 and I have never met someone who owns any NV. I'm a member of two gun clubs. I have to imagine someone out of the 2000 members may own some.
View Quote

Some guy at our range got mad because we were shooting in the dark.  I'm guessing he never met people with night vision either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just checked my case, no SD card ws in it unless I dropped it or lost it.  No worries, I have some.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mine came with an SD card

I just checked my case, no SD card ws in it unless I dropped it or lost it.  No worries, I have some.
Strange. Mine was in the SD slot when I unpackaged it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm 41 and I have never met someone who owns any NV. I'm a member of two gun clubs. I have to imagine someone out of the 2000 members may own some.
View Quote

I'm 50 and literally know dozens of people with NVGs.  Some have more than 1 set.  

Expand your horizons.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
i doubt any one cares but i do have the sight mark 500$ ones took a pic tonight. i don't think there too bad . waiting on my pvs-14 tho
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i doubt any one cares but i do have the sight mark 500$ ones took a pic tonight. i don't think there too bad . waiting on my pvs-14 tho
View Quote

Well, post em up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

It’s clearer than pic obviously. The barn is 200 ft. Half moon no ir light
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#11]

That's actually not bad. Those are Gen 1 analog, correct?

Is that bolted directly to the Rhino?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:05:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's actually not bad. Those are Gen 1 analog, correct?

Is that bolted directly to the Rhino?
View Quote

i actually thought 2 but yes gen 1. some modification to the mount, ground down bevel and added a hole to access the slot to tighten actual bolt instead of shitty thumb screw it comes with to attach to head mount it came with.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Yeah looking at these.  Curious if they work well enough to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Pic taken tonight in north Georgia with regular vision
Attachment Attached File

Picture taken of my shitty SiOnyx screen. No IR nothing extra
Attachment Attached File

Not tier one but certainly a heads up on staring in the dark like an asshole
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/99712C2F-CE37-4C30-820C-6CC34D65D923_jpe-1795443.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/03C40111-B7D2-4F18-B16C-93D342723CE7_jpe-1795445.JPG

View Quote

i had to hold in the laugh to not wake up doggo i just pictured bernie sitting there looking into the dark
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/99712C2F-CE37-4C30-820C-6CC34D65D923_jpe-1795443.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/455820/03C40111-B7D2-4F18-B16C-93D342723CE7_jpe-1795445.JPG

View Quote

@steviesterno16

Whats so shitty about the screen?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Use case is really what this comes down to. People here planning on using these to watch their livestock, hunt, camp, etc...all good. And 9 out of 10 times they'd give an advantage over 2 legged adversaries as well. Just because everyone on Arfcom owns 10 PVS-14 tubes doesn't make it normal in the real world.
View Quote

People here be preparing to fight against the mythical John Wick.

Meanwhile the average homeboy out there still points his pimp gun sideways.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up the earlier mentioned night owl product and must say while better than nothing it has a very narrow field of view.  On a cloudy or moonless night it would be useless without the IR.   That is of course until some knucklehead comes along shining his IR all over, then passive observance can give you and edge.  

I used the good old Army issue night vision in Iraq in 2003 / 2004 and this system has at least as good of a resolution as that system when using the IR illuminator and close to as good without it on a moonlit night.

The real reason I picked it up was to show the wife how "cool" night vision can be.  She got excited about being able to watch the dogs running around in the dark and wanted to know what  a better system costs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF? The Sionyx IS a camera...and you tried to take a pic with your phone through the view finder?

Here's what the latest Aurora firmware v1.32 looks like without IR, no moon, 100% cloud cover, with ambient light at 1 mile out.

Phone:
Attachment Attached File

Sionyx Aurora:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@steviesterno16

Whats so shitty about the screen?
View Quote

Nothing. With the right settings the screen looks better than the actual photos. He tried to take a photo with his phone of the Sionyx screen...which is capable of taking it's own pictures.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the PVS-2 a bad scope? I read it compares to Gen 2 because it has 3 Gen 1 tubes attached together. Heavy as shit but it doesnt need an IR illuminator does it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Tech is coming. The pretentious night vision assholes are going to have some really retro, overpriced toys in a few years.
View Quote

Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:10:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nothing. With the right settings the screen looks better than the actual photos. He tried to take a photo with his phone of the Sionyx screen...which is capable of taking it's own pictures.
View Quote

I’m in a cabin with no internet. So wasn’t going to take a pic with the SiOnyx, wait till I got home, upload that pic to a computer, upload that to this page.

I was trying to show that without the night vision, my phone couldn’t see shit. I couldn’t see shit. With the SiOnyx you can see the forest for the trees, hills, obstacles, etc. the view through the screen in real life is better than the pics, too.

People here call the SiOnyx shitty. Meant to put “” around it but I guess it didn’t work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I’m in a cabin with no internet. So wasn’t going to take a pic with the SiOnyx, wait till I got home, upload that pic to a computer, upload that to this page.

I was trying to show that without the night vision, my phone couldn’t see shit. I couldn’t see shit. With the SiOnyx you can see the forest for the trees, hills, obstacles, etc. the view through the screen in real life is better than the pics, too.

People here call the SiOnyx shitty. Meant to put “” around it but I guess it didn’t work.
View Quote

Well it is a cool camera but it's not night vision, not even close I own one as well as a pvs14 and pvs7 it does not compare.

In low light it sucks, the field of view sucks, the lag is noticeable, and it has a terrible battery life. That being said I enjoy mine for filming some content using my actual nods.

I suppose some of these devices may be better than nothing (more so the si0nyx) the do certainly give you the ability under the right conditions to see better at night and would give you the ability to detect and avoid things at night. Shit  even some hunting.

Though folks here are delusional in thinking that these are comparable to actual nods. We all wish but its just not the case. In these wet dream scenarios of shtf on this site people continue to say no one has nightvision but thats just horseshit tons of people do including mil and le who arnt just going away when "shtf" or whatever other bs can be dreamed up. Ir light discipline is a thing theres a reason passive aiming has become so popular in the last decade. Mainly because even in 3rd world countries folks have nods

It is what it is
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well it is a cool camera but it's not night vision, not even close I own one as well as a pvs14 and pvs7 it does not compare.

In low light it sucks, the field of view sucks, the lag is noticeable, and it has a terrible battery life. That being said I enjoy mine for filming some content using my actual nods.

I suppose some of these devices may be better than nothing (more so the si0nyx) the do certainly give you the ability under the right conditions to see better at night and would give you the ability to detect and avoid things at night. Shit  even some hunting.

Though folks here are delusional in thinking that these are comparable to actual nods. We all wish but its just not the case. In these wet dream scenarios of shtf on this site people continue to say no one has nightvision but thats just horseshit tons of people do including mil and le who arnt just going away when "shtf" or whatever other bs can be dreamed up. Ir light discipline is a thing theres a reason passive aiming has become so popular in the last decade. Mainly because even in 3rd world countries folks have nods

It is what it is
View Quote

Show me someone in this thread that says these are "As Good"

I see a lot of "good enough" and "better than nothing" replies.

maybe I missed a few saying that but the majority are not saying that at all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#28]
C'mon TNVC and NGI offer finance options. There is no excuse to own shit equipment if you want the ability.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
C'mon TNVC and NGI offer finance options. There is no excuse to own shit equipment if you want the ability.
View Quote

i love TNVC, etc, but last time i checked those fees were crazy high.

this is what i'd do.  right now sell some guns maybe some ammo.  help fund your purchase.  then open a CC (possibly with a referral) with a zero interest and cash back along with a bonus cash back after a couple of months. then buy NVG with your new CC card.  pay off every month.  get no fees, no interest charges and own the night.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#30]
@FluffyTheCat

The
Poors
Must
Be
Stopped
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tech is coming. The pretentious night vision assholes are going to have some really retro, overpriced toys in a few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow those look.. really shitty!

I’ve been reading this type of comment for 20 years. Still haven’t seen it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Show me someone in this thread that says these are "As Good"

I see a lot of "good enough" and "better than nothing" replies.

maybe I missed a few saying that but the majority are not saying that at all.
View Quote

Good enough for what? This is an apples to oranges comparison in my brain. These type of units are not applicable to nods in any real world scenarios where your life may be on the line. Again for avoiding detection may be alright but, its been stated here that supplemental Ir light is required to  see with this units so if you are using them for detection and someone has nods you'll be lit like a Christmas tree.

As someone stated for running around a ranch at night, doing some hunting I suppose these may work but for any "serious use" you would be better served with a flashlight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

yep
View Quote

Can they be used with glasses?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Look at that, you answered your own question.
View Quote

yep, again at the end of the day its a 300$ toy not "Nightvision"
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

FWIW, you can link your SiOnyx to your smart phone and whatever is on the viewfinder shows up on your phone.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware that anyone had officially defined "nightvision" as consisting solely of devices with analog image intensifying tubes.  

Amazing how much butthurt this generates among the wizard-eyes master race.  Not sure why people get so worked up about how others spend their money.  Either people are making informed choices and buying the digital NV stuff because it's what they can afford and it fits their needs, or they're being stupid and buying it thinking they're getting the equivalent of PVS-14's.  If it's the former, what difference does it make to you? If it's the latter, who cares? Fool and his money are soon parted. What anyone thinks of the digital stuff doesn't effect the value or utility of your analog stuff at all.
View Quote

I live in reality for other folks that live there as well I would like to help them be informed I own a si0nyx with a full moon its awesome and its cool to take videos of using actual nods. I would suggest it to anyone for that application. This other junk I honestly wouldn't even look at, I work with a guy who ordered some trash like this from bass pro he promptly returned it when he realized it was basically worthless.

Whatever helps you guys sleep at night, my post is for people who are serious about getting into nightvision and what to expect I'm no expert I just got into it myself this year. Im basically trying help folks like me who are thinking of getting into this stuff have real expectations. You do you boo boo. I love free markets.

These folks would literally be better off with a flashlight for most applications
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware that anyone had officially defined "nightvision" as consisting solely of devices with analog image intensifying tubes.  

Amazing how much butthurt this generates among the wizard-eyes master race.  Not sure why people get so worked up about how others spend their money.  Either people are making informed choices and buying the digital NV stuff because it's what they can afford and it fits their needs, or they're being stupid and buying it thinking they're getting the equivalent of PVS-14's.  If it's the former, what difference does it make to you? If it's the latter, who cares? Fool and his money are soon parted. What anyone thinks of the digital stuff doesn't effect the value or utility of your analog stuff at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, again at the end of the day its a 300$ toy not "Nightvision"

It's your money spend it how you deem fit. Make informed decisions on what you are buying. Friends don't let friends buy blackthorne AR's for instance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#40]
There are some really pretentious, shitty attitudes displayed in this thread.  It reminds me of the budget AR threads where people dogpile the guy and ridicule him cause he didn't spend $2500 on his AR so by default, there's no way its decent AR.

I started this post to just try and share some information that might be useful to someone who either didn't have a ton of extra cash or might want an inexpensive piece of night vision gear for backup or something.

No one is saying these various budget devices are better than the military grade/top shelf stuff but for what they are, they work good.  

Now, lets talk Sightmark Wraith, who has one?  How good are they?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the heads up OP

For those who have some night time experience with the GlassOwl

Would you surmise it can distinguish the difference between a coyote and a fox or a domestic dog at 100 yards at night with its built in IR?

Would help provide positive ID before launching lead from behind a thermal scope on a rifle
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I knew exactly what I was buying and until my pvs shows up their great. I can see 3 acres around my house with no ir flashlight.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Sightmark wraith is pretty good but I dislike IR illuminators.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Confirmed my buddy did use them with glasses. The front and rear reticles are adjustable @bansil
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up OP

For those who have some night time experience with the GlassOwl

Would you surmise it can distinguish the difference between a coyote and a fox or a domestic dog at 100 yards at night with its built in IR?

Would help provide positive ID before launching lead from behind a thermal scope on a rifle
View Quote

I have the GlassOwl and yes, at 100 yards I could tell the difference between a dog and a coyote.  I have been very pleased with them so far.  Am looking at buying a more powerful IR light just to play with the range on them.
Our family farm in SW OK has zero ambient lighting anywhere around so when the sun goes down it gets damn dark in this part of the country.  It has been fun sitting there and watching small animals come out and walk around in the grass like a skunk and armadillo.  As I said in my previous post when I saw the pigs they were super clear and you could see some of them were spotted.
These are budget friendly, user friendly, beginner devices that work for what they are designed for.

Edit:  Where I live, there aren't many people and we don't have loose dogs running around so if you saw a dog looking critter walking thru the field at night, there is a 99.9% chance it would be a coyote.  I dont think most people would have a problem distinguishing whether or not it was a coyote.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There are some really pretentious, shitty attitudes displayed in this thread.  It reminds me of the budget AR threads where people dogpile the guy and ridicule him cause he didn't spend $2500 on his AR so by default, there's no way its decent AR.

I started this post to just try and share some information that might be useful to someone who either didn't have a ton of extra cash or might want an inexpensive piece of night vision gear for backup or something.

No one is saying these various budget devices are better than the military grade/top shelf stuff but for what they are, they work good.  

Now, lets talk Sightmark Wraith, who has one?  How good are they?
View Quote

I wouldn't call it pretentious as much as people with experience giving you good advice to not waste your money on things that will disappoint you in the end.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#48]
If your not tier 1 have never used nv and get a stimulus check you will not be disappointed with ghost hunter. I posted here just to show anyone or to help out. If you want me to set something up at a certain distance I can.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Is PVS-2 a good scope for 476 refurbished?

The image intensifier is actually 3 Gen 1 tubes linked together(not by me-they were manufactured that way) and they give a magnification of many times 40,000X+ (as good as Gen II) light intensification and actually as good as early gen III in some cases. It's the best choice short of modern
gen II or III scopes but costs way less because of it's larger size.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Is PVS-2 a good scope for 476 refurbished?

The image intensifier is actually 3 Gen 1 tubes linked together(not by me-they were manufactured that way) and they give a magnification of many times 40,000X+ (as good as Gen II) light intensification and actually as good as early gen III in some cases. It's the best choice short of modern
gen II or III scopes but costs way less because of it's larger size.

https://i.etsystatic.com/17298362/r/il/ed3a1d/1580638532/il_794xN.1580638532_m9ts.jpg
View Quote

And a much shorter lifespan, if I recall correctly.

eta. Not knocking them. Just pointing it out. Gen 3 lifespan > Gen2 Lifespan > Gen1 Lifespan
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top