Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
These threads are tiresome.  A Baofeng is a cheap hand-talkie that is made for use by amateur radio operators.  There is no other legal use for it.  I don't find them particularly difficult to program from the keypad, but I also have experience programming other HT's, so I can figure it out by analogy.

If you can't be bothered to take a simple multiple choice test and learn some basic information about how radios work, then I suggest you buys some MURS radios.  Motorola makes some nice commercial units designed for use in security and construction businesses.  We use them for my church security team.  They work great and require no technical knowledge to use.  They cost more than a Baofeng, but they are built to take a few knocks and have good batteries.  They are type accepted for MURS, so you are legal.

RMM2050
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're not legal for FRS/GMRS because they have a removable antenna and exceed max power on some channels.

<---not a ham nazi
View Quote

partial credit.
They are not type certified for GMRS/FRS or MURS. Which means none of them are GMRS/FRS/MURS legal.
FRS does not allow for removable antennas, GMRS and MURS do.
GMRS allows for repeater use, data and text.
FRS does not. Not sure on MURS i Don't believe it allows data or text I know repeaters are a no no for both.
If you get a 5w max power UV5r it is within the power limits for a handheld transmitting on GMRS, it would be 3w to powerful for MURS and FRS. None of them go low enough power for channels 7-14 on GMRS/FRS which are limited to half a watt tx power IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure MURS does not allow repeaters.  We sorta looked at that at one point for business purposes since we have a site at really good elevation.  Alas...
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Baofeng just delivered.

Ham master race achieved.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know there are also a couple of Kenwoods that have a nice feature where they will Morse ID on UHF when they are cross-banding to keep you most legal.
View Quote

V71a and D710(both versions) do this.  If you add the voice card it can do recorded audio as well.  Both radios also allow remote control thru another radio
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Correct.  FYI I also run a 891 for HF.
View Quote

That makes two of us!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#7]
At least some decent info has gotten out to people. A little history, there was an article in QST(ham rag) about how radio regulations came about.  Goes back to the Titanic sinking.  Main thing is, there has to be a sense of order or it will become a bloody log jam on the air waves.  When you can run 1500w legally on a lot of bands, bad things can happen to people, even bystanders.

Hopefully more discovered the ham radio sub forum in outdoors(still an odd place).  
Now if there are members in my AO on here looking into this and want more info or help, give me a hollar.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah I get that. Good point.

But what it feels like from an outsider is:

Instead of a cool guy saying "hey flip on your blinkers before you change lanes" feels more like this guy:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25665/135_png-1763845.JPG

Saying "ackshewalee, in this county the operator of a motor vehicle above 49cubic centimeters of displacement must signal intent to leave his designated lane of travel no later than 4.738 seconds prior to inputting steering correction.  The signal needs to be amber wavelength of 87lumens or greater, which a 1996 Toyota Corolla is ayckually not capable of. Therefore any said corolla driver should always use the appropriate hand signal to comply with regulation 43-xxzed.3R/niner2"

(Said with a sort of internal pleasure tone from knowing and following obscure code.)

(That said, you and mike and ed and bryce have not been like that to me)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine someone posts that they just bought a car, and they want someone to tell them briefly how to get from LA to DC. They've never driven before and don't know what a road is. Licensing is for suckers, and they have no interest in blinkers, or rules like stopping at red lights because that stuff is for nerds. All they want to do is drive across the country to meet their friend.

Yeah I get that. Good point.

But what it feels like from an outsider is:

Instead of a cool guy saying "hey flip on your blinkers before you change lanes" feels more like this guy:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/25665/135_png-1763845.JPG

Saying "ackshewalee, in this county the operator of a motor vehicle above 49cubic centimeters of displacement must signal intent to leave his designated lane of travel no later than 4.738 seconds prior to inputting steering correction.  The signal needs to be amber wavelength of 87lumens or greater, which a 1996 Toyota Corolla is ayckually not capable of. Therefore any said corolla driver should always use the appropriate hand signal to comply with regulation 43-xxzed.3R/niner2"

(Said with a sort of internal pleasure tone from knowing and following obscure code.)

(That said, you and mike and ed and bryce have not been like that to me)

Hahaha, yeah I can see that. I think there are so many posts along the lines of someone saying they want to talk to Bubba 100 miles away, and they don't want to learn anything, they just want the ham guys to tell them what radio to get... and of course making that work requires some understanding of how radio works so they can understand why the Walmart radios that say 1 billion mile range won't actually work. Then everyone ends up all pissed at each other.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Baofeng seems cool and intuitive.

Only played with this for like 2 min.

It has FM radio! Nice.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:30:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got me two 82hps.  

I downloaded chirp on my laptop.  Got a programming cable ordered.  For right now I just loaded GMRS, MURS and Weather radio.

I don’t have my ham.  Just a gmrs
View Quote

Better radio than the craptastic UV-5r and all the cosmetic variants thereof. The UV-9r is almost the same as the 82, but in a waterproof case.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Been reading the q and explanations on hamstudy. To say there is a lot of information is an understatement
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been reading the q and explanations on hamstudy. To say there is a lot of information is an understatement
View Quote

There are three important formulas for the technician test:
Ohm's law:
Attachment Attached File

Power:
Attachment Attached File

The wavelength of a particular frequency is 300 divided by the frequency in megahertz.  From this you can then divide it in half for a half wavelength antenna or in four for a quarter.  It's also helpful because (at least there used to be) a could of band questions where you can throw out an answer because it isn't even in the band they are asking about.  For example if the question is which of these frequencies is in the 2M band you could quickly exclude 223MHz since that's in the 1.25M band.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...the Walmart radios that say 1 billion mile range won't actually work.
View Quote

Oh, well you see, those 1 billion miles are inside a vacuum jar, and a 300 mile tailwind in both directions to help the signal along.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There are three important formulas for the technician test:
Ohm's law:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/EIR_img_1_png-1765382.JPG

Power:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66085/PIE_img_1_png-1765383.JPG

The wavelength of a particular frequency is 300 divided by the frequency in megahertz.  From this you can then divide it in half for a half wavelength antenna or in four for a quarter.  It's also helpful because (at least there used to be) a could of band questions where you can throw out an answer because it isn't even in the band they are asking about.  For example if the question is which of these frequencies is in the 2M band you could quickly exclude 223MHz since that's in the 1.25M band.
View Quote

I read that an realized I needed a time out for a few hours.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No.  But two of them could be setup as a crude dual band repeater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KrH86Dzhnc
View Quote

This doesn't work.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#16]
do you need a license if you do not plan on actually talking to people on it?  just play around and maybe listen at most?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
do you need a license if you do not plan on actually talking to people on it?  just play around and maybe listen at most?
View Quote

There are no frequencies you can legally transmit on in your "playing around".  You can use them to listen only as a cruddy scanner legally.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Can someone help me understand why people are so resistant to getting a license?  I thoroughly enjoyed the process and learned a lot of very useful information.  But both on arfcom and IRL, most people I talk to are high resistant to the idea.  I am talking about people who are prepping for emergencies and want to have communications if the Internet and/or power grid goes down.  Why the resistance?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can someone help me understand why people are so resistant to getting a license?  I thoroughly enjoyed the process and learned a lot of very useful information.  But both on arfcom and IRL, most people I talk to are high resistant to the idea.  I am talking about people who are prepping for emergencies and want to have communications if the Internet and/or power grid goes down.  Why the resistance?
View Quote

I'm not resistant to getting a license. It's simply that as I speak I am finishing up several weeks worth of online education to get another professional license - to use to make money. Plus, I'm trying to learn HAM (a related but distinct proposition from trying to get my HAM license, which seems to be largely a matter of memorizing test answers) , trying to plan several weekend training sessions, trying to make some money so I can buy some ammo to afford to do some training this year, trying to secure garden seed, working hard to develop an ulcer trying to figure out where to park our investments during the coming economic collapse, and watching the news about 87 hours per week to see when the boogaloo starts. I am also trying to bone up on my medical skills, secure some laying hens, start a microgreen patch, dig some post holes for fruit trees.......you get the point. If we're about to have CW2 I have a lot of preps to do and a short amount of time. Learning how to listen, and, worst case, talk a little, on a radio, must, at this point, fit in with all that other stuff.

I genuinely regret not learning ham when life was more relaxed. But here I am.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's a thing many people think they need, have no inclination of learning how to use properly, let alone use properly during ties where we still are a nation of laws.
View Quote

When are you posting from? It’s laughable to call us a nation of laws in 2021.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not resistant to getting a license. It's simply that as I speak I am finishing up several weeks worth of online education to get another professional license - to use to make money. Plus, I'm trying to learn HAM (a related but distinct proposition from trying to get my HAM license, which seems to be largely a matter of memorizing test answers) , trying to plan several weekend training sessions, trying to make some money so I can buy some ammo to afford to do some training this year, trying to secure garden seed, working hard to develop an ulcer trying to figure out where to park our investments during the coming economic collapse, and watching the news about 87 hours per week to see when the boogaloo starts. I am also trying to bone up on my medical skills, secure some laying hens, start a microgreen patch, dig some post holes for fruit trees.......you get the point. If we're about to have CW2 I have a lot of preps to do and a short amount of time. Learning how to listen, and, worst case, talk a little, on a radio, must, at this point, fit in with all that other stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you.  I am doing many of those same things.  The stuff you need for basic VHF/UHF operation is really not that hard.  Cram for the test and get your Tech license, then you can figure out what you really need to know to do at least that much.  Being able to effectively operate on HF is a much bigger challenge, and I think you could put that off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Listen to this at 1.5x speed on way to work a few times. It is literally every correct question.

Introduction to Ham Radio and Technician Training Class

Then take free prax exams until you get 90 to 100%
Then take zoom session license exam.

Easy. You won't know anything. But you'll be a cool ham guy like us.

Breaker breaker one nine
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I was going to heavily recommend this be moved to the ham forum, but after reading page upon page of the trainwreck shitshow, GD is the perfect place for it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the resistance has something to do with the fact that guys have to study, go somewhere to take a test, and all they get out of it is the 'privilege' of talking to other Hams.  B O R I N G.  If a license was a ticket to talk with hot women, then there would be much less resistance.  Prove me wrong
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's your callsign?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think the resistance has something to do with the fact that guys have to study, go somewhere to take a test, and all they get out of it is the 'privilege' of talking to other Hams.  B O R I N G.  If a license was a ticket to talk with hot women, then there would be much less resistance.  Prove me wrong
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure the hot women would be resistant to licensing then. Unless they were getting $2 a minute.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What's your callsign?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your callsign?

Why do you care?  He's been verified through the site that he has one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm trying to answer his question.

Why do you care that I care?

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because arocking isn't cool.  I have a license, I'm not telling you my callsign on the open forum.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because of the current ham community. They’re the most insufferable assholes I’ve ever came across. Any thread about anything ham might make it ten posts before someone has to pipe in and say that something is illegal. Then they go on about how it easy it is to take the test that’s offered every other Tuesday at 7PM that’s 40 miles from your house.

If they need to drop the irrational fear that if someone with a cheap HT transmits without a license  magically every band is going to turn into CB radio.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because of the current ham community. They’re the most insufferable assholes I’ve ever came across. Any thread about anything ham might make it ten posts before someone has to pipe in and say that something is illegal. Then they go on about how it easy it is to take the test that’s offered every other Tuesday at 7PM that’s 40 miles from your house.

If they need to drop the irrational fear that if someone with a cheap HT transmits without a license  magically every band is going to turn into CB radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to the shooting range and would you believe that those insufferable assholes told me that cutting down the barrel of my rifle is illegal.   Sure they told me about the NFA process, but that's not convenient for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Because arocking isn't cool.  I have a license, I'm not telling you my callsign on the open forum.
View Quote

Having a callsign that is easily searchable and shows your name and home address needs to change.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Because of the current ham community. They’re the most insufferable assholes I’ve ever came across.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Because of the current ham community. They’re the most insufferable assholes I’ve ever came across.

If amateur radio is insufferable, then just stay away, pretty simple.

Quoted:
Having a callsign that is easily searchable and shows your name and home address needs to change.

That's not going to change.

Amateur Radio is a radio service and worldwide community with more than a century of tradition and experiences. If it's not the right fit for you, don't do it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It shows a mailing address.  You are free to use a PO box if it worries you.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's funny that we have one ham person complaining that people don't want to be part of the licensed community and another guy telling people to stay out of the community.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's funny that we have one ham person complaining that people don't want to be part of the licensed community and another guy telling people to stay out of the community.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not telling people to stay out.

I'm telling people that the Amateur Radio Service is not the universal answer for personal communications, and if someone isn't able to abide the rules, regulations, and traditions, to pick some other options in communications. You can do other things besides amateur radio with your baofengs. And there are other radios besides baofeng.

People are not getting the point that Baofengs are not "ham radios". They can do - and potentially mess up - all kinds of things other than "ham radio".
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There are tons of videos on youtube that adress all your questions.
View Quote

This.

I get wanting to get direct communication here on a forum, but honestly just searching your questions in youtube will give you far more in depth answers than most people are going to be willing to type up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn guys I just said that the information was overwhelming. Still plan on studying up to at least get my Tech.

I work in mental health/LE so just about everything I'm learning is completely new to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Any thread about anything ham might make it ten posts before someone has to pipe in and say that something is illegal.
View Quote

Because in most cases, it is. Whether you choose to obey the law is your business, but this site has chosen to not allow posts in support of illegal activities. They're trying to not get things shut down. You don't see posts about how to illegally convert a weapon to full auto; why do you think they would allow discussions about how to illegally use a radio?

Again, whether the law is just is immaterial; CoC 4 is pretty clear.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Damn guys I just said that the information was overwhelming. Still plan on studying up to at least get my Tech.

I work in mental health/LE so just about everything I'm learning is completely new to me.
View Quote

If you use radios at work, the Technician level stuff will probably help you.  When I was studying for Tech I was simultaneously a part-time deputy doing patrol in a rural county.  Knowing something about antennas, repeaters, and radio propagation was quite useful.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you use radios at work, the Technician level stuff will probably help you.  When I was studying for Tech I was simultaneously a part-time deputy doing patrol in a rural county.  Knowing something about antennas, repeaters, and radio propagation was quite useful.
View Quote

I push a button and talk, nothing technical to it from my end.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Also... one thing I recommend is a po box office for the license.  The fcc database is public.

I didnt think it would be a problem because who's going to take the time to look into some random guys ham license.....

Within a few days of getting my license.... I got a long voicemail to my cell phone number from some random ham guy in my area.....

Creeped me out. He wanted me to call him back so he could tell me about this transmission where he heard my new call sign being read from Ontario and it had been passed all the way to Washington where he then looked me up.

I didnt answer him.

He left another message.. seemingly annoyed and confused that I hadn't called him back.

I didn't answer him.

Then I got a Typed letter from him in the mail at my house. Reiterating the voicemail and with the cited transmission transcripts.

Ham guys.
View Quote

To comment on this... one, FCC public database does not have phone numbers. Might give consideration to how he got your number and how that impacts the rest of the BS he told you.

Two, what you describe is entirely unlike anything I've ever heard of before.

Third, some random psycho can pick you out of any public list of people, registered voters, phone book, church directory.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I push a button and talk, nothing technical to it from my end.
View Quote

I drive my car and my boyfriend changes the oil.  Nothing technical about it.  Sorry couldn't resist.  

Seriously though, you should know how your shit works.  Getting your Technician will be worth it.  With all the fighting going on in this thread the point that ham radio is not only a great contingency if normal services go down, but it is also a lot of fun is being missed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know that new guy at the range that keeps muzzling everyone with his finger on the trigger, and then calls everyone "range Nazi's!" when he is corrected...  look in the mirror bud.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

To comment on this... one, FCC public database does not have phone numbers. Might give consideration to how he got your number and how that impacts the rest of the BS he told you.

Two, what you describe is entirely unlikely anything I've ever heard of before.

Third, some random psycho can pick you out of any public list of people, registered voters, phone book, church directory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also... one thing I recommend is a po box office for the license.  The fcc database is public.

I didnt think it would be a problem because who's going to take the time to look into some random guys ham license.....

Within a few days of getting my license.... I got a long voicemail to my cell phone number from some random ham guy in my area.....

Creeped me out. He wanted me to call him back so he could tell me about this transmission where he heard my new call sign being read from Ontario and it had been passed all the way to Washington where he then looked me up.

I didnt answer him.

He left another message.. seemingly annoyed and confused that I hadn't called him back.

I didn't answer him.

Then I got a Typed letter from him in the mail at my house. Reiterating the voicemail and with the cited transmission transcripts.

Ham guys.

Two, what you describe is entirely unlikely anything I've ever heard of before.

Very well put, Gamma.

I've been a ham since 2005 and outside of the ARRL and such I've never even gotten a QSL card or anything else in the mail in regards to me being a ham.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Very well put, Gamma.

I've been a ham since 2005 and outside of the ARRL and such I've never even gotten a QSL card or anything else in the mail in regards to me being a ham.
View Quote

I have 188 logged HF QSOs (I wish I had more time for radio) and have received exactly three QSL cards.  And one was from one of the guys I made my first HF QSO with, so he was just trying to be nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have 188 logged HF QSOs (I wish I had more time for radio) and have received exactly three QSL cards.  And one was from one of the guys I made my first HF QSO with, so he was just trying to be nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very well put, Gamma.

I've never requested one. I've thought about it but really just log my contact and I'm happy. I should have been better about doing the same in the past.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I drive my car and my boyfriend changes the oil.  Nothing technical about it.  Sorry couldn't resist.  

Seriously though, you should know how your shit works.  Getting your Technician will be worth it.  With all the fighting going on in this thread the point that ham radio is not only a great contingency if normal services go down, but it is also a lot of fun is being missed.
View Quote

I fully plan on knowing how my personal gear works and getting my Tech at minimum.

As far as work, I'm not allowed to have anything to do with the radios from a technical standpoint. I'm usually in my office anyways so just call me
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top