Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Which brand is the AR15 of ebikes - more or less modular so you can pick and choose your components? It might be easier to swallow $200-300 at a time (maybe less for used parts) to start in the game vs $2-3k for the whole bike.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone else? I wanna see em.
View Quote
I don't own an e-bike but if I was serious about getting one, I would look at R&E's Disruptor.  It's a top-of-the-line e-bike (priced accordingly) with a frame/fork/wheels hand built in Seattle, along with R&E's proprietary auto shifting system.  Yes, not only is it an e-bike, it shifts automatically.  I don't know if I would like that part or not.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I weigh too much to have fun with any of those.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What motor?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats a motorcycle,  jealous I really want one
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where's the carb
View Quote

In China
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
My son bought himself a Rad City that will be waiting for him when he gets back home after New Years.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm waiting to see numbers on this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The Sur Ron is awesome but I'd get pulled over by the cops in minutes.  Need something that looks more like a bicycle.  Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a Luna Galaxy with the 2500W Ludicrous option before they went out of stock.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Had to look up, this is definitely bad ass. Imagine 250 performance in a quite electric.

Looking for more of a bicycle myself to blend in on no motor trails .

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/04/16/honda-cr-electric-proto-first-look-video-6-fast-facts/
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#11]
OP,

I've had my Sur Ron for over a year.  Absolutely love it.  I was banking on them becoming more popular, and opening up the custom market for upgrades.  With Segway's involvement in Sur Ron now and their release of their (almost) identical version, this market expansion is certainly happening.   Lots of upgrades on mine.

I have a 60 tooth rear sprocket on mine, and in the extremely steep stuff, I run out of traction long before torque.  A 64 tooth would be more so.

I have seen at least one of your Youtubes on upgrades.  Appreciate your putting in that effort.  The number of folks doing wheelies and asshole stuff making videos make me cringe.  Wheelies are fine.  When you are running one past a hiker or walker on a common use trail, not so much.

It sure is nice rolling my bike into my living room, and working on mods when it is 20 degrees and snowing out.....
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
OP what is circled in this picture? A giant reflector?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

looks like a purse
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I converted an old Specialized Stumpjumper using a Bafang mid drive kit.  I am "frugal", like to tinker, already have too many bicycles and it was a winter project (2017)

Mid Drive Kit

Lots of fun as I am used to the frame geometry.  750 W (~ 1hp) is sufficient for me.  On the flats, using the highest gear I can do 32 mph.
It is pedal assist, allows me to climb terrain I would not dare previously.  
Bike weight is 45 lbs.  Not exactly light.  
Longest ride moderately flat with pedal assist was ~60 miles.   Battery showed ~30% left.  Caution: battery storage is not linear after 60% it drops quickly.
Ended up converting a Trek for a relative.  He enjoys it as he has a bad knee.

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#15]
only 65 now and still ride road and gravel. when i get old I'll probably look at a e bike.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Any of these go over 100+ like those crazy scooters?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine. AddMotor Motan M-150 P7.  750W hub motor in the rear.

I added a suspension seat post, and it's quite comfortable now. Goes pretty well. On medium pedal assist it'll probably get 45 miles. On throttle control probably about 20.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Which brand is the AR15 of ebikes - more or less modular so you can pick and choose your components? It might be easier to swallow $200-300 at a time (maybe less for used parts) to start in the game vs $2-3k for the whole bike.
View Quote

The super73 starts at about 1100 and i think goes up from there to about 3k depending on the add ons you want. Maybe look there to start
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thats a motorcycle,  jealous I really want one
View Quote

No. Its a class 2 e bike.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Sur Ron is awesome but I'd get pulled over by the cops in minutes.  Need something that looks more like a bicycle.  Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on a Luna Galaxy with the 2500W Ludicrous option before they went out of stock.
View Quote

Tons of dudes cruising em in NJ. Just check youtube
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP,

I've had my Sur Ron for over a year.  Absolutely love it.  I was banking on them becoming more popular, and opening up the custom market for upgrades.  With Segway's involvement in Sur Ron now and their release of their (almost) identical version, this market expansion is certainly happening.   Lots of upgrades on mine.

I have a 60 tooth rear sprocket on mine, and in the extremely steep stuff, I run out of traction long before torque.  A 64 tooth would be more so.

I have seen at least one of your Youtubes on upgrades.  Appreciate your putting in that effort.  The number of folks doing wheelies and asshole stuff making videos make me cringe.  Wheelies are fine.  When you are running one past a hiker or walker on a common use trail, not so much.

It sure is nice rolling my bike into my living room, and working on mods when it is 20 degrees and snowing out.....
View Quote

Thanks Dude! Im gonna be putting out more videos in the future for fun as i add more mods.

Yea, mine gets packed in the living room as well lol. Cant wait to get that 64t installed and try it out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Its a schwinn bike bag. Just a temporary option until i find something i like better.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Tried to upload better picture but it is too big. Mountain to sea 48v and the XYL bike in the back is a 36v pedal assist only.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine. AddMotor Motan M-150 P7.  750W hub motor in the rear.

I added a suspension seat post, and it's quite comfortable now. Goes pretty well. On medium pedal assist it'll probably get 45 miles. On throttle control probably about 20.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14121/ebike_JPG-1752388.JPG
View Quote

Nice dude!
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks Dude! Im gonna be putting out more videos in the future for fun as i add more mods.

Yea, mine gets packed in the living room as well lol. Cant wait to get that 64t installed and try it out.
View Quote

A 64 tooth in the places I ride, I'd spend more time on my back, looking up the sky going WTH.

Have fun with your Sur Ron, they sure are crazy fun.  And try and keep things rubber side down
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Ive been watching Sur Ron vids for a week now. I really want one.

What is the deal with Luna? Are they really the only place to get one in the States?

@Seak219

There are a few hooligans on youtube that have entertaining videos. Looks like fun!
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I just want a mid drive mountain bike with a throttle and good batteries that can be removed. Make the bike somewhat light and a decent price and I’m sold.

It would be a sweet predator hunting rig around here. Lots of ground to cover and it would be quieter and if you ran out of charge you can still pedal
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ive been watching Sur Ron vids for a week now. I really want one.

What is the deal with Luna? Are they really the only place to get one in the States?

@Seak219

There are a few hooligans on youtube that have entertaining videos. Looks like fun!
View Quote

Segway has their version as well. I would personally go with luna, unless your wanting the app etc. Luna seems to have the better service and are cranking out aftermarket parts. I think in the long run they will be the better company to have bought from.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A 64 tooth in the places I ride, I'd spend more time on my back, looking up the sky going WTH.

Have fun with your Sur Ron, they sure are crazy fun.  And try and keep things rubber side down
View Quote

Same to you dude!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#30]
2544 miles of bicycling in 2020 and I didn't need an electric motor!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:59:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
2544 miles of bicycling in 2020 and I didn't need an electric motor!  
View Quote

Not true and I can prove it right now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Trigger thread for the spandex crowd.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#33]
@gmor - 2544.87 miles bro.  Not 2544.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#34]
From doing some research it seems there are some who feel Luna has a Monopoly on Sur Ron. Apparently you can order direct from China but Luna is now saying they wont sell those people parts.

I really want one of these!
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#35]
So I’ve had my mind set on a EMTB thinking a Giant Trance E+ Pro. But that SurRon looks fun and they can be registered as Mopeds in CA which is convenient.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So I’ve had my mind set on a EMTB thinking a Giant Trance E+ Pro. But that SurRon looks fun and they can be registered as Mopeds in CA which is convenient.
View Quote

but then you would be barred from any MTB trails, no?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
From doing some research it seems there are some who feel Luna has a Monopoly on Sur Ron. Apparently you can order direct from China but Luna is now saying they wont sell those people parts.

View Quote

Segway imports them as well. Have for some time, but their aftermarket parts and customer service seems to be sub par to Luna.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

but then you would be barred from any MTB trails, no?
View Quote

No idea then again I’ve never seen anyone checking the MTB trails.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quick new years eve ride. Happy new years everyone!

New Years Eve Ride | Sur Ron X
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quick new years eve ride. Happy new years everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpSJzYjjS1A
View Quote

I'm in love with those bikes. Is that your YT channel? If so, I'll subscribe and give you some clicks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:00:32 AM EDT
[#41]

I would trust a no name Ebike over a no name fuel powered bike.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Luna does have the "monopoly".  I note that word as Luna is the company that took a chance, and a large financial one, to start bringing them in.  They have to buy them by the shipping container full.  And in order to keep their License arrangement, Luna had to buy them by the container, even during the winter months, when all bike sales slack off, and Luna was tight for cash flow.   So Luna kept the agreement and in turn have a little say in the items that are included in the batches of bikes.  At least this is how things were described by Luna in some early Podcasts.  Good old American entrepreneurism at work.  The bikes are also sold (and originally sold) all over Europe, Asia and Australia.  

You can actually buy parts for them globally.  Segway bought into Sur Ron (maybe ownership capacity) and this is why the Segway branded bikes are built by Sur Ron.  Luna took a chance on a new market segment (not motorcycle not bicycle), and Segway also jumped into this market segment.  It is all good, as the Electric Bike/Vehicle industry is certainly blossoming, and the more players the better.

I got into this game back in early 2019, and it was a big gulp on my part to drop 4k on a sole source product.  I have more than a few parts on my bike now that are now coming out of the third party market.  They do seem to be gaining in popularity, and I no longer stress over parts availability.  This lets me focus my stress on "range anxiety".
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:27:21 AM EDT
[#44]
When I get old and disabled I may look into buying  an electric bike. At this point though I'm  only 64 so I am capable of bicycling  unassisted.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:27:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Trigger thread for the spandex crowd.
View Quote

How so?  Any fat lump who learned to ride a bike as a kid can jump on an e-bike and go to town.  They have limitations though. Batteries on them run out long before any serious ride can be done, and a mechanical breakdown out on a remote trail would be a bitch for someone who isn’t in shape and relies on the bike to do the work.

The gym equivalent of an e-bike would be an exo-skeleton that assists you when lifting weights or walking/running because you are so weak you can’t do it under your own power.  When a guy ascends a hill on an e-bike, everyone knows the machine is doing all the work.  When the rider claims to be doing the work rather than the machine, he looks like a fool.  Otherwise when I see one I just think “cool, at least they are getting out and enjoying being on a bike”.

The attraction of an e-bike for some is that it allows a person to enjoy at least part of the pleasure of riding a bicycle without having to put in the effort.  For most cyclists though, the physical effort is what makes it all worth while.

I’ll probably get one when my body won’t let me pedal anymore, just so I can enjoy getting out on a ride.  Until then, I’ll enjoy doing it under my own power.

The Sur Ron is a different vehicle altogether.  A lightweight electric motorcycle is a niche that has its own advantages and looks like a lot of fun. I’ll probably end up getting one or one like it in the future.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Pedego commuters.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm in love with those bikes. Is that your YT channel? If so, I'll subscribe and give you some clicks.
View Quote

Yes thats mine. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes thats mine. Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes thats mine. Thanks!

Done, and good commentary.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:36:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How so?  Any fat lump who learned to ride a bike as a kid can jump on an e-bike and go to town.  They have limitations though. Batteries on them run out long before any serious ride can be done, and a mechanical breakdown out on a remote trail would be a bitch for someone who isn’t in shape and relies on the bike to do the work.

The gym equivalent of an e-bike would be an exo-skeleton that assists you when lifting weights or walking/running because you are so weak you can’t do it under your own power.  When a guy ascends a hill on an e-bike, everyone knows the machine is doing all the work.  When the rider claims to be doing the work rather than the machine, he looks like a fool.  Otherwise when I see one I just think “cool, at least they are getting out and enjoying being on a bike”.

The attraction of an e-bike for some is that it allows a person to enjoy at least part of the pleasure of riding a bicycle without having to put in the effort.  For most cyclists though, the physical effort is what makes it all worth while.

I’ll probably get one when my body won’t let me pedal anymore, just so I can enjoy getting out on a ride.  Until then, I’ll enjoy doing it under my own power.

The Sur Ron is a different vehicle altogether.  A lightweight electric motorcycle is a niche that has its own advantages and looks like a lot of fun. I’ll probably end up getting one or one like it in the future.
View Quote

I think you better look into the health benefits of ebiking. Lots of studies out there for you to read. The TLDR answer, is that your average ebike rider gets more benefit than your average bike rider. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:37:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Done, and good commentary.
View Quote

I ordered a mic setup for my helmet, so things should improve on audio quality in a week or so, as long as USPS doesnt lose my order....
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top