Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I can’t see the internal perspective on some of the characters translating to the screen at all.  Amos is literally a sociopath that considers murdering various members of the crew at points in the novels.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are the books worth reading if I have watched the show and enjoyed it or does the series stick close enough to the source material that I won't gain much more from it?

The books are more detailed, of course, and there’s more of them.

So for example if you want to know why Timmy is the way he is...

Yeah, I can’t see the internal perspective on some of the characters translating to the screen at all.  Amos is literally a sociopath that considers murdering various members of the crew at points in the novels.

You can see it in the looks he gives people once you’ve read the books.

Wes Chatham did a remarkable job with the character.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm stoked but also pissed season 6 is the final season

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

That’s probably for the best.  After book 6, the series goes off into a completely different direction, and several of the old characters die.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 1:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
these have been out for days fuck amazon
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Season 5 Ep 1 to 3 are up!
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That’s probably for the best.  After book 6, the series goes off into a completely different direction, and several of the old characters die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Alex Kamal is going to be written out after this season.

Honestly all of the really interesting stuff happens after the time jump from book 6-7.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I am waiting until all the episodes are posted. I want to binge them all at once.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The NASA/SpaceX guys like it because there are nods to actual physics in the show .
View Quote

This

The space battles are realistically presented and there is no artificial gravity.

The last season with the alien planet is alive plot wasn’t as much fun as the earlier seasons with the Roci in space combat and Bobbie flying the old lady damn near to death in the spaceship sports car.

I like the the realistic space battles. They are great fun to watch.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Sweet thanks for the heads up!
I just finished season 6 of GOT
Don't think I'm brave enough to finish the last two....
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Something about Cara Gee as drummer does something for me
View Quote

She’s super pretty in real life. Nice to see an Indian actresss, too.

Why is there a covered wagon on the mural in the background? Because they’re on a Mormon colony ship, repurposed as a warship. Beltalowda!

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Who else binged all three last night?

What ever else happens this season, they got the Click To View Spoiler in so I am happy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why is there a covered wagon on the mural in the background? Because they’re on a Mormon colony ship, repurposed as a warship. Beltalowda!

https://blacknerdproblems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/NUP_179022_0915.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something about Cara Gee as drummer does something for me

https://blacknerdproblems.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/NUP_179022_0915.jpg

Her boobs were a little disappointing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's much more complicated than that. I was a little baffled by the casting of Wes Chatham as he didn't fit the "look" the books present, but holy shit, he brings his character to life. The dude sat down with phycologists to study Amos' character in the books. It's like he actually became Amos. While some of the finer details in the book don't get brought into the show, you can see those finer details in his eyes as if he's lived them. Its weird.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are the books worth reading if I have watched the show and enjoyed it or does the series stick close enough to the source material that I won't gain much more from it?
View Quote

I'm about halfway through the second book and thoroughly enjoying them.
The writing style is very good and, of course, much more in depth than the show can portray. It's sci-fi enough to make things believable without being "hard" sci-fi that can sometimes get too bogged down in detail.

I think the books and show compliment each other very well. Having watched the show before starting the books, I've given all the written characters their faces from the show. (Except Draper, who I think was horribly miscast.) The woman cast as Avasarala is perfect for the role, and though it's a bit of a jarring change to the character when Amazon took over, it's actually a more accurate portrayal. (She swears more than a full regiment of UN Marines. )
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Game of Thrones fell apart when Franck and Abraham began focusing solely on The Expanse.

Franck was the guy writing for Martin, but he lives in New Mexico. A lot of Belter society is loosely based on northern New Mexican Hispanic culture.
View Quote

I did not know this.

should have used our accent instead of the belter creole.

"that ship is wicked fast, No?"
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Some good shit right here ! Epic show.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's much more complicated than that. I was a little baffled by the casting of Wes Chatham as he didn't fit the "look" the books present, but holy shit, he brings his character to life. The dude sat down with phycologists to study Amos' character in the books. It's like he actually became Amos. While some of the finer details in the book don't get brought into the show, you can see those finer details in his eyes as if he's lived them. Its weird.
View Quote

I agree that his history is very complicated, but Amos fits the definition of a high functioning sociopath perfectly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Honestly all of the really interesting stuff happens after the time jump from book 6-7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

6-7 makes for a good break point though.  6 ties up the drama in the solar system, and nothing really happens for a few decades.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#18]
The two best actors on the series are David Straithern and Cara Gee.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Besides Drummer I would space most of the belters, they get kind of annoying, especially the new bad guy. I would space all the Martian traitors too.

Amos is the only funny guy on the show. I haven't laughed all week until last night when I was watching it and Amos was talking to Avasarala. Queen of Earth.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Besides Drummer I would space most of the belters, they get kind of annoying, especially the new bad guy. I would space all the Martian traitors too.

Amos is the only funny guy on the show. I haven't laughed all week until last night when I was watching it and Amos was talking to Avasarala. Queen of Earth.
View Quote

" You can be both."
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree that his history is very complicated, but Amos fits the definition of a high functioning sociopath perfectly.
View Quote

The books haven't gotten into that yet (for me), but I feel like this is why he's so loyal to Naomi in the beginning. He's decided she's trustworthy so he uses her as his moral compass. Once she begins to demonstrate trust in Holden, he does the same.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The books haven't gotten into that yet (for me), but I feel like this is why he's so loyal to Naomi in the beginning. He's decided she's trustworthy so he uses her as his moral compass. Once she begins to demonstrate trust in Holden, he does the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's it exactly.  In fact, I think there's even a scene in one of the books where Naomi comes out and says it to Amos.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did not know this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Game of Thrones fell apart when Franck and Abraham began focusing solely on The Expanse.

Franck was the guy writing for Martin, but he lives in New Mexico. A lot of Belter society is loosely based on northern New Mexican Hispanic culture.

I did not know this.

It kinda comes through like that at times.

Oh man, he burned in all hard.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eeee...I know huh?

the stealing water part makes more sense too.

They should have just went with it all the way... would have made sure B'Elanna Torres isn't the only space mexican
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
(Except Draper, who I think was horribly miscast.)
View Quote

I thought so, too. Initially.  Frankie Adams was just NOT the Draper from the novels (and, while she's a big girl who played Rugby....she doesn't have the physique of someone on the peak of human physical condition).  However, she's done a good job of making the character her own.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Expanse is real science fiction, not gay space wizard shit.

If you like Niven & Pournelle you'll like Expanse.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

disheartening
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Note that ending the show on Season Six is very likely them ending this show....

....versus abandoning what has been a very, very successful and profitable IP.  They may be adapting the late-series timeskip via just starting a new Expanse show with a new cast of characters (rather than try to either "old people makeup" the current cast, or monkey with the length of the timeskip).

Given that the decades-long interval between the two time periods sees pretty much everything change (hello new production design!)....ending "Expanse One" and starting to develop "Expanse Two" may be the wiser choice.

Amazon ain't going to let the Expanse IP sleep.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Eeee...I know huh?

They should have just went with it all the way... would have made sure B'Elanna Torres isn't the only space mexican
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eeee...I know huh?

Isn't that how they teach the vowels in Espanola... E I O U, A?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Note that ending the show on Season Six is very likely them ending this show....

....versus abandoning what has been a very, very successful and profitable IP.  They may be adapting the late-series timeskip via just starting a new Expanse show with a new cast of characters (rather than try to either "old people makeup" the current cast, or monkey with the length of the timeskip).

Given that the decades-long interval between the two time periods sees pretty much everything change (hello new production design!)....ending "Expanse One" and starting to develop "Expanse Two" may be the wiser choice.

View Quote

This is my view as well.  The different character aspect is the only thing that worries me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This is my view as well.  The different character aspect is the only thing that worries me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly there's no real reason they have to take such a massive time jump as in the books. They could make it 10 years and it'll work out just the same and they won't have to age the characters much.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Eeee...I know huh?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eeee...I know huh?

Some of those Española girls do look a bit Iike Klingons.

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I thought so, too. Initially.  Frankie Adams was just NOT the Draper from the novels (and, while she's a big girl who played Rugby....she doesn't have the physique of someone on the peak of human physical condition).  However, she's done a good job of making the character her own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's done alright with it, especially in the more dramatic moments. I just can't get past how "soft" she looks considering she's supposed to be a badass space marine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

She's done alright with it, especially in the more dramatic moments. I just can't get past how "soft" she looks considering she's supposed to be a badass space marine.
View Quote

She does look soft.  

My brain ignores that but I will say she is a tough character yet still likes the D.  I like that they didn’t make her bull dyke completely.

Unlike Aliens.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Honestly there's no real reason they have to take such a massive time jump as in the books. They could make it 10 years and it'll work out just the same and they won't have to age the characters much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think a lot of the ring space and human empire development would make sense with a short gap between the series.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Laconia wasn't built in a day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think there's really anyone in Hollywood that could do Draper from the book.  Someone that can realistically portray a nearly 7 foot Samoan powered armor recon marine platoon sergeant in peak physical condition probably doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't think a lot of the ring space and human empire development would make sense with a short gap between the series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like they haven't already taken liberties with the storyline, 10 years would be enough for Laconia to have time to start doing their thing. That's all that's really needed imo. This series isn't going to get nearly as deep into that as the books anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't think there's really anyone in Hollywood that could do Draper from the book.  Someone that can realistically portray a nearly 7 foot Samoan powered armor recon marine platoon sergeant in peak physical condition probably doesn't exist.
View Quote

Granted, the perfect choice probably doesn't exist. I just don't think they did "good enough".
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Granted, the perfect choice probably doesn't exist. I just don't think they did "good enough".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least get someone who’s not knock-kneed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: Bobbie flying the old lady damn near to death in the spaceship sports car.
View Quote

I had forgotten that Alex ended up with the Razorback.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Just me, or does the belter accent sound like they're south afrikan?

In before you all tell me it was filmed in SA.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Just me, or does the belter accent sound like they're south afrikan?

View Quote

Very much so.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I didn't get one because it isn't chrome lined.

Why does it seem like everyone is talking about something unrelated?

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I didn't get one because it isn't chrome lined.

Why does it seem like everyone is talking about something unrelated?

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

C'mon, who hasn't considered murdering their co-workers at certain points.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I heard Cas Anvar has been written off due to some SJW stuff, but have not heard about the character getting written off.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Excellent start to the season
I may have to start reading the books
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I heard Cas Anvar has been written off due to some SJW stuff, but have not heard about the character getting written off.

Jay
View Quote

Yeah I'm wondering how they'll do it.

Sounds like Cas actually fucked up repeatedly that would get most people fired
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top