Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
One word.... HUMMER!
www.affluentauto.com/live/images/autos/Slantback15.jpg

1988 Slant Back M1038 Slantback Humvee only $32,000

So what are the issues and risks involved in buying a used H1?  I seem to remember something about the application procedures of a new paint job.

$32K doesn't seem like a bad price, what's the expected life of an H1?  Can you just keep it running forever with proper maint?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
we had to send them in for full depot re-build at like 48K in the army.  I got out in 97, but I recall it was something like that.

they are rugged... but not durable.  They can go over land better than any other car.  However, they get the same abuse driving on the road.

I talked to the local humer rep at the auto show and he said that they'll service milspec hummers at the dealership.  He said they would not happy about it and it will cost an arm and a leg, but they can get you parts, etc.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

isuzu used to make a car called the imark. it was a diesel. a little 1.8 liter i think. we pulled one in to our junkyard in kentucky. some people were selling ti for $300. it didn't run so my father in law offered them $25. they took it resold it from the junkyard for $500. seemed like a decent little car. never got to see it run though.

Isuzu is actually the second-largest diesel manufacturer in the world (M-B is still the largest), hence GM having them design their Duramax (which I hear is only so-so, due to the fuel economy).

GM used to market a few Isuzu-powered/built vehicles, like the LUV and Chevette. I had a friend who had a diesel Chevette for a few years. He bought it used and drove the living piss out of it until some bitch ran a red light in Denver and totalled it. He had some trouble with the glow plugs right after he got it, but nothing else.

GM owns Isuzu now.

They also own the Suzuki car company (a/o the motorcycle company, which is still Japanese owned, IIRC).

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
please don't try to start shit in a perfectly good thread just pecause...
    ...or because your boss gave you shit about not having a cover page on your TPS report...

god, that was beautiful! thanks for making me lose my dr pepper...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#5]

GM owns Isuzu now.

They also own the Suzuki car company (a/o the motorcycle company, which is still Japanese owned, IIRC).

I am quite aware of Isuzu being part of the GM empire. They also own Daewoo and Saab. And your point was what?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#6]
apparently to argue, which was the point of your last post...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:58:21 AM EDT
[#7]

apparently to argue, which was the point of your last post...

And the purpose of your "wit" was what? You were going to give us all advice and experience concerning a diesel automobile? Or were you just trolling and showing your ass?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My son has been toying with the idea of buying an old beater VW diesel and making Bio-Diesel to run it on. It cost about .60 per gallon to make and would be a fun experiment too.

I got the book and video on bio-diesel, and I've been thinking of trying it, too. You might want to look for a diesel Rabbit p/u, though, to make it easier to haul all the "donated" fryolater oil.

Prices look pretty good on them, though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#9]

I got the book and video on bio-diesel, and I've been thinking of trying it, too. You might want to look for a diesel Rabbit p/u, though, to make it easier to haul all the "donated" fryolater oil.

Prices look pretty good on them, though.

I've been followung the bio-diesel/waste vegetable oil discussions on an M-B diesel message board for awhile. If you're willing to put forth a little effort, it sounds very worthwhile. There's a guy who lives nearby who burns nearly 100% WVO through his 300SDL beater car (he commutes to work about 60 miles, one way).

Some guys just run a few gallons of WVO per tank of diesel, but this guy went ahead and added a tank to his trunk along with a solenoid valve. He's of the belief that the WVO burns best at 160 F or above, so he starts up on diesel and drives the two or three miles to the interstate where he switches to WVO and drives the rest of the way to work. He says his engine still develops the same power as before and runs a little cleaner to boot. No unpleasant diesel smell either. Right now he gets his WVO from a chicken restaurant and it smells like -- fried chicken (he used to get it from a Chinese restaurant). No smoke and very little soot. Other than his time and effort, he doesn't pay squat for fuel.

He has a deal going with several restaurants where he leaves them with cans to fill with their old fryer oil. He lets it settle for about a week or so and then he begins to purify it by heating it and pumping it through several strainers and filters (I've heard of some people simply straining WVO through cheesecloth, but I wouldn't want to try it).

I'm just wondering how long it'll be before the gubmint decides to step in and tax that stuff or make people who burn it pay an exemption (like for propane and LPG).
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Before you buy a VW, e-mail me and I will send you copies of the $5,000+ in repair bills for my 4 year old Passat......as I type this it's in the shop, again...timing belt broke and destroyed the valve train....add about $1500 to $2000 to that total......

4 complete Control Arm repairs, not 4 arms, 4 complete set, left and right

2 Tie Rod repairs

1 sway bar

6 O2 sensors

1 set of wheel bearings

1 valve cover gasket

1 fuel gauge sensor

4 door lock acuators

1 alarm sensor

1 Divertor valve for the Turbo

1 oil return line for the turbo

4 different vaccum hoses

As you can see, if I could keep it running well enough for longer than a week, I would dump this POS...

In 12 years or owning a Chevy Blazer, I spent on average, $15 a month for maintance

This VW is costing me $390 a month for maintance....

Excuse me as I now leave to finish off my bottle of vodka....

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm just wondering how long it'll be before the gubmint decides to step in and tax that stuff or make people who burn it pay an exemption (like for propane and LPG).

I read a news story some months back about people who were burning WVO in their cars in the UK because of the high fuel taxes, so the government went after them for the taxes they should have been paying, had they burned diesel instead of WVO.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And the purpose of your "wit" was what? You were going to give us all advice and experience concerning a diesel automobile? Or were you just trolling and showing your ass?

not so much trolling as much as calling you on your hypocricy. just call me the asshole pointer. i am at work in a training seminar, and i happened to observe your prickish behavior, so i commented on it. sorry for interrupting your world, oh wise one, it wont happen again.

and if you wanted to see my ass, you could email me and i could have you some nice dingle berry pics within the night. i dont often show it freely in public. i tend to wear a good sturdy belt.

now, as far as diesels go, i have nothing to offer. my gas engined truck gets about 15 mpg and i hate it!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#13]

now, as far as diesels go, i have nothing to offer.

Fucking off-topic troll.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Hank
You hit the nail so hard it went right through the 2x4

Edited to add something on topic :

My 94 VW jetta Diesel got 42 mpg the last tank. No problems yet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to own a Chevette diesel.  42 MPG was standard.

160,000 plus miles before it died a couple of years ago.  I miss it something fierce.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top