Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You definitely got everyone fired up. Gus, let me know if you like the "power point ranger"
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
As usual, Garand Shooter is the voice of wisdom in the wilderness.  I bow to your superior understanding.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I do find it interesting how often people think that human nature has changed. The soldiers you see now are acting the same as the ones I knew and served with in the post-Vietnam Army, 3/325th Abn. Inf., last of the 1970's. While I was in the "Jumpin' Junkies", I woefully admitted to myself that the Army wasn't full of Barry Sadler types , (My Hero, and Green Beret-Vietnam, turned poster-boy and singer/songwriter for the U.S. Army with an unfortunate series of events awaiting him in civilian life). During my time, I still volunteered for field duty(just to get away from the barracks), and eventually got the FTA attitude (immaturity at it's best?) letting my hair get too long, strolling around FT. Bragg without my cover on, etc., even getting into stupid arguments with those superiors whom I was sure were stupider than me. When I got out, I found that  there were alot of similarities between my new jobs and the Army. People who worked hard, those who just got through another day til' retirement, and those who would do anything to get over everyone else they worked with. I miss things about the military just like I missed things about civilian life when I was in. I cannot believe that things are really so different generation to generation. But then again,...I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It was either be drafted and go to Viet Nam or get a slot in the Reserve(National Guard) which I took NG. This was late 60's but most everyone in my unit was glad not to have served in hell. I never took it for granded as I was a 1A on my draft notice before I joined the Guard. I had a lot of buddies that served in Viet Nam and one that was a Marine that saw a lot of action. Very different now days with you young guys. Popeye
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:14:25 AM EDT
[#6]
please dont form an opinion of the magnificant United States Army (even saying the name makes me proud!), based on some wriggling maggots that you saw loitering in gang-attire. If they have no pride in our heritage. If they are brain-damaged and seduced into thinking that "questioning authority" is Kewl,..then thats on them.

too many soldiers over the decades have paid too much, both in red stuff, as well as in extreme sacrafice, to make it the rock-solid, Roman-pillar of America that it is.

As has been already pointed out. Good, hard-core soldiers MUST, contrast these high-profile embarressments.

Also, as has already been pointed out. And I think this is THEE, most important point,...the last 8 years of toxic-waste is to blame for the deterioration of our supreme armed forces.

Its up to good soldiers like you to re-build it back to the point where it used to be.

**we are all depending on soldiers like you. Make us proud again.

It tough, and a hard uphill battle. But all the more to your credit. Im sure there are times when EX-soldiers would like to come out of retirement. Bayonet disrespectful filth like you saw with their drawers hanging down at their knees and restore our Army to its proper glory.

All the souls buried in Arlington national cemetary. All the "Private Ryans" blown to smithereens in Normandy want you to do this.

its important.

http://www-Benning.army.mil/airborne/

MH.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the Power-point presentation.  Do you guys really use Power-point?  

BUt it was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive tried to use power point, but I cant seem to get the computer to fit in my rucksack. HAHA
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm 28.  Back in college I considered entering ROTC.  I took two military science classes and the guy in charge of ROTC (Captain or some rank) wanted me to join.

Reasons he felt I should join.

*Had a good GPA

*Excelled in military science classes

*Good physical shape

*Grew up on a cattle ranch in Al(grew up knowing hard work, survival, hunting, already familiar with AR and AK, ect, ...)

*Enjoyed working with people

Reasons I didn't join
*Bill Clinton as my commander and chief.  

*Open homosexuality among "some" soldiers at a local military base.  (What people do is their own business but don't flaunt it.)

*Somalia.  I feel sorry for those kids starving over there but, until their gansta bush brothers learn to quit fighting and start farming I can't help them.  "Peacekeeping" doesn't work, people have to want peace.  I wasn't into nation building for a bunch of thugs who would shoot me in the back for a dollar.

*Economy.  Worked my way through college.  I make more money than the guys here with military experience.

When it gets to the point in military recruitment you have to give them little black berets to join you're hurting.  What next we going to give them GAP designer uniforms with American Eagle boots to help recruit soldiers.

I don't know what's going to happen to our military, I hope it improves.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I read, and re-read, the words of this string.
Typical Interservice rivalry, and deep feelings of "esprit-de-corps". Good. In those instances things seem to be normal.

I have had the honor of serving as both a Marine, and a Soldier. From a Marine infantry Bn.(3/6 from Apr 86-May-89) to serving with both the USMC Rifle Team, and the USAMU.
I have seen, over the last 17 years, the dregs of humanity, disguised as Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Officers, Warrant Officers, and enlisted, from recruits through E-9s.

I have also seen true heroes, in all of the above categories.
From the Marine I saw in the hospital @ Camp Lejeune, getting treated for burns he received from pulling a family from a burning house...to a USAR Soldier holding a child above flood waters.

There is a rot. A wound that will not heal. It is in all of our Armed forces, as it is in our country. A moral, and ethical "dumbing down".

We all bleed the same color, and we all serve the same Flag.

Next time you see a service member, acting like an ass, check the pulse of our country. Because the Armed Forces are a direct reflection of the situation that our Nation is in.

Lew
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks tippie for saying in an intelligent way what i was trying to say.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I would put up the [beer] but I feel more like the [>(]

But you are welcome.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Amen Tippie
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Very well said Tippie. I agree that there is indeed a rot in out society. I am seriously thinking about a CHL. The homeless problem,the have and have nots, is really beginning to be a problem in the large city in which I live. If you change lanes in traffic you might have someone tailgateing you and wanting to do you harm.
I was sadened when I heard of the Senate split yesterday. Our GOP didn't play their cards right concerning this issue.
I'm not sure how much longer we can continue to be the world's policeman, but like the NATO idea about protecting innocent civilians. What do we do in some of these cases. Send our boys into some hell hole like Somalia(Africa)?
Boy I'm going now, new to the board and ranting and raving, but believe most all of us agree.

Link Posted: 5/25/2001 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Why, exactly, would any hard-charging military professionals complain about being sent on missions like Somalia or Kososvo?

They might not be World War II but at least they offer an opportunity for some action.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top