Page / 502
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:
@Jagrmaister
@beastman
@brahmzy

Tell me about fees.   Fees from pulling BTC off Coinbase to my cold storage.

Question:

HOW DO I DETERMINE WHEN (TIME OF DAY) THE LOWEST FEES ARE!!?  I think I just got a rapin’ on fees pulling my BTC off the exchange

View Quote

Sort this by 30 days

Notice how high the fees are? Not much you can do about that until ordinals die down. Miners are making a killing off the congestion.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:24:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#2]
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:
@Jagrmaister
@beastman
@brahmzy

Tell me about fees.   Fees from pulling BTC off Coinbase to my cold storage.

Question:

HOW DO I DETERMINE WHEN (TIME OF DAY) THE LOWEST FEES ARE!!?  I think I just got a rapin’ on fees pulling my BTC off the exchange

View Quote

Going to partially depend on actual network fees and also depend on the fees implemented by your exchange.

Not sure what Coinbase is doing these days themselves, BINANCE would always smoke your ass especially on the last withdrawal I made with them. Pretty much punishing you if you withdrew small quantities.

You can check network fees on mempool.space to get an idea of network fee costs. Again, going to depend where you're pulling from, too, because they may have delayed transaction outputs in order to batch larger quantities together. Fees are returning back to normal now that the "attack" has subsided. Expensive to pay the transaction fees as they escalated just to inscribe bullshit nonstop. Bitcoin didn't break and worked as it should...

I use Swan because I'm not a trader. I don't mind paying Cory his 1% exchange fee since he sends what I view as the right message within the space. As a courtesy of my 1% ass rape, when they do withdrawals they cover miner fees. Even through all the nonsense we just saw.

During the bullshit like the last couple weeks, though, if you're staring down the miner fees and aren't making some crucial trade and instead just moving to cold storage, best to just wait it out until fees stabilize and return lower as mempool clears. Shit has happened before and it'll happen again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a node, can you pull your coins off to cold storage through the node? I have a node set up but I'm not really sure what to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I generally wait these things out. Right or wrong, I feel Coinbase is the safest of all the CEXs and if I have to have $2-$8k sitting there for a few weeks longer than I’d like, I’m not going to lose sleep. I’d start getting nervous if I had $10k sitting on any CEX for too long. All relative. My treasure is another’s trash. Big traders probably burn $10k just in fees in a day, lol.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brahmzy] [#5]
I’m diggin’ this week’s discounts. Let’s see some real sales here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:
I generally wait these things out. Right or wrong, I feel Coinbase is the safest of all the CEXs and if I have to have $2-$8k sitting there for a few weeks longer than I’d like, I’m not going to lose sleep. I’d start getting nervous if I had $10k sitting on any CEX for too long. All relative. My treasure is another’s trash. Big traders probably burn $10k just in fees in a day, lol.
View Quote

I use Strike and move what I purchase onto my Ledger immediately. No need to have it sitting on an exchange any longer than necessary. I’m only hodling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for answerin my question dudes!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Knife_Sniper:

Sort this by 30 days

Notice how high the fees are? Not much you can do about that until ordinals die down. Miners are making a killing off the congestion.
View Quote

Gracias sniper
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:33:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Cheapest withdrawal fees on Coinbase? Exchange USD to USDC and withdraw to Polygon. Exchange the USDC for WBTC

I think you can even cold store ERC20 tokens from Polygon on a Ledger, but try a small amount first. I may try this myself sometime this week.

Otherwise, just keep stacking sats on CB and withdraw when the fees are lower.

They are a publicly traded company with strong financials. I personally have a chunk of change on there in hopes that BTC nukes so I can scoop up a few for cheap.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By beastman:
…in hopes that BTC nukes so I can scoop up a few for cheap.
View Quote

Fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By beastman:
Cheapest withdrawal fees on Coinbase? Exchange USD to USDC and withdraw to Polygon. Exchange the USDC for WBTC

I think you can even cold store ERC20 tokens from Polygon on a Ledger, but try a small amount first. I may try this myself sometime this week.

Otherwise, just keep stacking sats on CB and withdraw when the fees are lower.

They are a publicly traded company with strong financials. I personally have a chunk of change on there in hopes that BTC nukes so I can scoop up a few for cheap.
View Quote

WBTC is not BTC. If your goal is DeFi transactions then have at it, though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jagrmaister:

WBTC is not BTC. If your goal is DeFi transactions then have at it, though.
View Quote

No, but it can be a low cost way to get the exposure to the price action and still keep control of the keys.

Having the ERC20 version does open up more interesting options on chain.

I like BTC but it just feels like dead money most of the time like gold sitting in a safe. At least the gold is nice to look at lol.

I do like that Coinbase is offering BTC secured loans. Rates are high though like around 8-9% instead of the 2-3% you can get in defi.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I use Coinbase One. For $40/mo there are no trade/transfer fees. I make four small buys/day so it makes sense.

Every two weeks I send everything over to my hardware wallets. I skipped this week since the network fees were so high.  

I also use the Coinbase Wallet as a hot wallet to pay for things. I don’t like the idea of transacting with unknown wallets from my cold storage wallets.

And I tattooed my seed phrases somewhere on my body.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By goloud:.

View Quote

Pics or it didn’t happen!
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By goloud:.

LOL.

Hopefully he trusted his tattoo artist or was able to reach around to his ass all by himself to do his own.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#16]

LOL.

Hopefully he trusted his tattoo artist or was able to reach around to his ass all by himself to do his own.
View Quote

I went to three different places. 8 words each.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By goloud:

View All Quotes

LOL.

Just the tip?
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Turmoil is coming.

Uncertainty, and a whole lot of regulation.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SheltiePimp:

Just the tip?
View Quote

Ouch

I can’t even..
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Turmoil is coming.

View Quote

Let’s hope so - we might some real sale prices going.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Turmoil is coming.

View Quote

Good.

And I thought I was bullish...

$70 MILLION BITCOIN?... (Peter Dunworth)
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Default-Gateway:

Not likely IMO,. The fed has made sure that more banks will collasp.  People are moving that money into crypto, at least from what I hear from friends.
View Quote

Your source is idiots who smoke hopium?  Because the actual figures reported by coinshares show them to be FOS.  Money, real money is flowing into tbills and CDs to chase yield, hence the bank implosion.  

This thread gives amazing insight into the psychology of investing mixed with a kind of broken addict mindset.  No matter how bad the signs of fraud (effects of addiction) get, it's used as an excuse to double down.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Must have more nuggets of wisdom please. Dispense forthwith…
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Cataly5t:

Your source is idiots who smoke hopium?  Because the actual figures reported by coinshares show them to be FOS.  Money, real money is flowing into tbills and CDs to chase yield, hence the bank implosion.  

This thread gives amazing insight into the psychology of investing mixed with a kind of broken addict mindset.  No matter how bad the signs of fraud (effects of addiction) get, it's used as an excuse to double down.  
View Quote

Eh, let's revisit this post in 16 months or so and see where the price is at.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Last we heard you had just shorted BTC at around $18k.

If you are so sure of the global fraud conspiracy, you could drop some December 2024 options and make some serious money. Surely that’s enough time for this whole scheme to settle out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Up, up, and away!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Not likely IMO,. The fed has made sure that more banks will collasp.  People are moving that money into crypto, at least from what I hear from friends.

I'll need to see your sauces? 
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#28]
Mempool relatively clear.  Transact away.  NFT bullshit attack has subsided.  At least for now.  

I see no issue with it.  People should have ability to use BTC as such for immutable transactions.  I don't see the value in NFTs/Ordinals as much as with finite "Last wills and testaments" as Saylor pitched.  That has value.  BTC is a permisionless layer.  A public good.  It will be used as is required by its users.

BTC worked swimmingly and as intended. Pay the fee...Get in the block. Carry on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:56:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GraboidHunter] [#29]
There's a pretty big upset over the new Ledger firmware ... which may or may not be able to access and send your seed from the hardware device to other companies.  The developers are being very coy about it and users are furious.   Not quite sure what to think. Seems like corporate suicide to me.  I just bought two new Ledgers and will be seeing if I can get refunds.  Whatever you do, do NOT update your firmware.

Link left cold because reddit sucks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/13itm7u/comment/jkbyyfp/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=14&context=3
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
There's a pretty big upset over the new Ledger firmware ... which may or may not be able to access and send your seed from the hardware device to other companies.  The developers are being very coy about it and users are furious.   Not quite sure what to think. Seems like corporate suicide to me.  I just bought two new Ledgers and will be seeing if I can get refunds.  Whatever you do, do NOT update your firmware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/13itm7u/comment/jkbyyfp/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=14&context=3
View Quote

Yeah, that's turning into a real shits how on Twitter.  Wonder how long till they're bankrupt.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Fck. Now I need another tattoo.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Fck. Now I need another tattoo.
View Quote

At least I've only got to memorize 24 words again.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Does the seed phrase need to be in order? Does each word have a particular spot?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Does the seed phrase need to be in order? Does each word have a particular spot?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
What!  What wallet is recommended now. Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#36]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
View All Quotes

I may go to ColdCard with its option to be completely air gapped.  Researching now and had considered in the past.  Just kept using Ledger due to convenience which I had a feeling would eventually lead to something like this.  Interested to know if any users here have a CC.  Seems like you still have to generate a wallet on your desktop via something like Sparrow, but the seed to your utxo's would be completely removed from all connections and only accessible via ColdCard wallet.  You could even use a DICE feature and generate your own seed phrase via rolls if you truly didn't trust their random generator.  Also would allow NFC Tap functionality in the future if you so choose if/when BTC becomes preferred transaction of choice around the globe.

It does ONLY support Bitcoin, though, for those in the shitcoin space.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]
What about trezor model T
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 1:11:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#38]
What about trezor model T
View Quote

Fine as far as I know.  Same use as Ledger basically, but with open source for their code unlike Ledger...so that's a plus to have the transparency that was always lacking with Ledger.  ColdCard has additional security if using only BTC, though.  Albeit less user friendly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Ugh. What a pain in the ass. Guess I’ll be picking up a couple Trezor devices.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Some days I think about what I'm doing and I just think...

Link Posted: 5/16/2023 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Ledger is in full damage control mode... they've pulled the update and posted a bunch of stuff.  Here's some more info posted by them today:

""Ledger uses the BIP39 standard for the generation of the Secret Recovery Phrase on all of our devices. This is generated by the secure element of your device and is ONLY ever shared with you. Never us.

If you use Ledger Recover, your Ledger generates an additional backup phrase (that is NOT your Secret Recovery Phrase). Throughout this process, Ledger and our trusted providers have no access to your Secret Recovery Phrase.

If you choose to subscribe, Ledger Recover encrypts a version of your private key and splits it into three fragments (using Shamir Secret Sharing) - all of this happens on the Secure Element chip, so your Secret Recovery Phrase is not at risk.

This backup phrase is then split into three fragments. These encrypted fragments are stored by 3 different parties on cryptographically-secure Hardware Security Modules. Individually, these encrypted fragments are completely useless. When you want to restore your keys, 2 of these 3rd parties will send back their fragments to your Ledger device (and not us as an organization), which will be able to reconstitute your Secret Recovery Phrase.

Decryption can ONLY happen on a Ledger’s Secure Element chip.

You need to approve the service on your Ledger, otherwise the backup is never created. There's no backdoor to a backup."

Sounds shady as hell.  You also need to give them state ID or passport for this "feature" ... so much for anonymity.  I'm guessing that's the point.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#42]
My Model T works great. I think they’re on sale too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Just bought 2. The website was slammed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Dumb question, If I just change hardware wallets.  Can I just import my old phrase and have everything there do/should I generate a new phrase and manually send everything to the new address?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#45]

Dumb question, If I just change hardware wallets.  Can I just import my old phrase and have everything there do/should I generate a new phrase and manually send everything to the new address?
View All Quotes

Depends if you trust Ledger had nothing to do with its random generation or the ability to pull the seed from the device prior to this update. So far they aren't exactly batting 1.000 with security.

If you want certainty...

Memorizing 24 new words seems like a small inconvenience to be certain.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Depends if you trust Ledger had nothing to do with its random generation or the ability to pull the seed from the device prior to this update. So far they aren't exactly batting 1.000 with security.

If you want certainty...
View All Quotes

If you want certainty...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shooter_gregg] [#47]
A word of caution. I saw an article where scammers were selling bogus trezors and stealing the crypto.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#48]
A word of caution. I saw an article where scammers were selling bogus tremors and stealing the crypto.
View Quote

Always buy any hardware wallet direct from manufacturer and look for evidence of tampering.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:36:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone made their own wallet on a thumb drive?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Always buy any hardware wallet direct from manufacturer and look for evidence of tampering.
View All Quotes
A word of caution. I saw an article where scammers were selling bogus tremors and stealing the crypto.

I know on the Ledger you can test it for authentication and that it wasn't fucked with.  I'm guessing Trezor has the same feature.  And yes always buy from the manufacturer, not Amazon and FFS not Ebay.  Yes, I have heard of people doing that.
Page / 502
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top