Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 5/20/2001 9:36:55 PM EDT
Hello to all. I currently only own a Glock 22, but I hope by the end of this week I will have a rifle to go with it. I have narrowed my choices down to the AR-15 and the FN FAL and was wondering what would be the proper first AR for me to get. I've pretty much decided that I want it to be made by Bushmaster, as they seem to have an excellent reputation here and at Glock Talk (and I hate the green furniture on the Olympic Arms weapons). I was wondering what options to get and what to skip....I don't know much about rifles. 16 inch barrel or 20? A2 upper or A3? Fluted barrel or not? (BTW....what is a fluted barrel?) Basically the rifle is being bought so that I have a rifle, as of right now I really don't know what I'm going to do with it besides shoot it at the range. My girlfriends father always wants me to go hunting with him and I have never been. Can you hunt with these rifles? If so, do they make a good hunting rifle? As you can see, I don't know much about rifles, any help you could give would be great.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:40:35 PM EDT
You hate the green furnature on the Oly Arms because it's not on a ArmaLite. [;)] Do you want to mount an optic on it? Welcome to the AR world.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:46:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2001 9:44:47 PM EDT by Z28PHREAK]
[:)] I dont know if I want to mount optics on it or not......I'd like to have that option open to me though
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:47:43 PM EDT
A2 carry-handle or A3 optics? 16" tactical or 20" long-range barrel? 1/7" or 1/9" twist rate? Chrome-lining or not? 1/4 or 1/2 MOA adjustments? Tele-stock or A2 buttstock? Single stage or 2-stage trigger? 20 or 30 round magazines? Muzzle brake or not? Standard or contoured pistol grip? Stainless or moly-chrome? The list goes on, and on, and on... As M15A2 said, [i]Welcome to the AR World[/i] Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:59:36 PM EDT
[>:/] UHHHHHHHHHHHH.....I dont't know.....you tell me! [:\]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:09:44 PM EDT
That's the best thing, and at the same time the most frustrating factor, about an AR15: there are 1000 options you can choose to have with them. What you should build/buy should depend solely on what you want to use it for. Do you want a long-range varmint hunter? Or perhaps a short-range plinker or range practice gun? Home defense purposes? Maybe you even want to get started in serious NRA Service or Match rifle competitions someday? Any of these options are fully within the range of the AR15, but each has its own specialty as far as equipment goes. Ask yourself what you WILL be using it for, and what you WANT to use it for in the future...and then tell us in a reply. Soon, you should get a mass amount of helpful information from the guys here at AR15.com. The AR15 can be a very persnickety, detailed weapon...but you came to the right place to get anything and everything you would ever want to know about it. Welcome to the boards! Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:10:00 PM EDT
Howwwwwdy [moon] [newbie] Since you like cars you ought to be familiar with this statement: "This ain't gonna be cheap."
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:12:18 PM EDT
Look, these guys can argue all day long on what u should have or shouldnt. Plain and simple, get a flat top bushmaster. and u do not need a fluted barrel (grooves cut into the barrel to reduce weight) Get a 20" barrel, it's just "better". no, unless u are really good at shot placement dont use it for hunting as it could just wound the animal (im talkin deer and larger, not varmit which it is acceptable to use on) there, now I made up your mind for you. NSF
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:14:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jewbroni: That's the best thing, and at the same time the most frustrating factor, about an AR15: there are 1000 options you can choose to have
View Quote
And 1000 opinions of those options.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:17:46 PM EDT
Howdy z28, get a bushie with a removeable handle, best of both worlds
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:23:30 PM EDT
OK, To help you out get the AR15.com rifle from Rock River Arms. Great rifle at a great price. Then go from there. You can find a whole forum devoted to this rifle. I would buy one but my yellow armband precludes me. I would not use it for hunting anything but cayotes. Some people take deer with them but I would want a little more oomph. For that, if it just occasional use, I would get one of those new Rem. 710s with scope packages. They are a really decent rifle at a great price. Look at a .270 if you are just going after deer and the like. Now for the next person to tell you something completely different.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:26:01 PM EDT
Depends on what and where you're hunting. I live in the flat-lands, and .223 for me isn't real practical for anything larger than coyotes. I usually deal with wind and longer ranges as well, so I always have optics, and usually something .243 or larger. Still waiting for my first AR15 as well (LEGP), but I've never seen them used on anything but varmints. Mine will be mostly for range shooting. Welcome, I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:42:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2001 10:43:05 PM EDT by Z28PHREAK]
Ok.....so its no good at hunting white tail....so I don't have to worry about that use anymore!!!! [8D] I live in an urban area and do most of my shooting at the range. I'm not hunter and am more of a live and let live kind of a guy, so I doubt I'll be shooting anything that's alive, unless I get paid an unexpected visit by someone trying to take my life or my property. Even in that instance I think I'd grab the trusty Glock first. I guess I'm looking for a fun and amusing plinker. Something with good range that is versatile. Something that I could mount a scope on if I ever got one...and something with the range that if I did mount a scope on it...it would be able to shoot that far fairly accurately
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:07:09 AM EDT
TTT
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:11:35 AM EDT
While I am partial to the A2 version,(20 inch barrel and a fixed carry handle) you sound like someday you will mount a scope on it. Get a flat top with a 20 inch barrel. That gives you range and versatility. Bottom line get what you like and don't worry, you can always swap uppers later to fit you new needs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:28:38 PM EDT
Personally I'm a Armalite person,but Armalite and Bushmaster should be your 1st choices.Definately go with a flat top,if you ever put optics on your weapon you want the flat top.If you don't want to then just put on the removable carry handle. If you go with a fixed carry handle you will always have only 1 option.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:44:56 PM EDT
Welcome to the dark side! It sounds to me like the Bushmaster XM15E2S would suit your needs very well but the others are right if you want to put a scope on it the flattop is much better. Just remember to buy some good GI magazines, they are about the only ones that work well. Good shooting! [beer]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:55:47 PM EDT
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?id=16#lastPost[/url]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:03:02 PM EDT
Z28PHREAK Get an AR-type rifle first, you can easily change the front-end upper assemblies to whatever configuration you want (A2, A3, target) in the future without involving anyone with an FFL. The FAL is nice (I have a DSA Carbine), but a similar swap would require an FFL (or you can just get a barrel assembly). I think the AR-style rifle is more comfortable compared to the FAL. If you must have 7.62 NATO, go with an ArmaLite AR-10 with black furniture. The choice between A2, A3(A4 in ArmaLite lingo), and target will depend on how you see yourself using the rifle. If you'll be at a range, mainly, go with the target models. Hunting...maybe an A3/A4. For me, the AR-10A2 was my first choice... and it was a great rifle on which to get started. It was simple and I didn't need to worry (as much) about "sighting-in"... And, in fact, I am now ready to re-investigate the open sight shooting (I've gotten over the scope craze!).
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:45:58 PM EDT
So let me ask you this; If I know an FFL who will do the transfer for me at $10 to $15....would that be cheaper than the $800+ that the gun shop says they can sell it to me for? Would that FFL be able to get the gun at dealer price? If so....does anyone know the dealer price on a Bushmaster XM15 E2S M4 Type 16in Carbine? I figure I'll get the full sized rifle in a .308
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 3:20:31 AM EDT
"....was wondering what would be the proper first AR for me to get." That would have to be an ArmaLite. What do you think AR stands for?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:01:14 AM EDT
The Rock River Arms "LEGP Rifle"... at only $660, how can you pass it up..? This rifle has just about every cool feature built into it, and costs about $400 less than the regular retail. Rock River's quality is second to none in the industry right now. they also have the Navy and Marine rifle team contracts... that's how good their quality is! [url]www.castle-arms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 7:53:44 AM EDT
Does it come with a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 8:49:24 AM EDT
Welcome [newbie]! Hope you enjoy the site! Nice to have you! [b]-RoadDog[/b] [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
Top Top